Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 09:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Cant shutdown or restart x [SOLVED]
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
april

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct 2014, 03:38    Post subject:  Cant shutdown or restart x [SOLVED]  

Im using Puppy Precise 5.4.2

I find the menu entries for shutdown and restart x in fact all the shutdown submenus are not working with the exception of restart jwm

I have used the "fixmenus" script and the "fixdesk" as well to no avail

Can anyone suggest wher I might look to reattach the executeables?

Last edited by april on Sat 11 Oct 2014, 17:37; edited 3 times in total
666philb

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct 2014, 06:15    Post subject:  

hi april,

open /etc/windowmanager and check that it says jwm

april

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct 2014, 18:59    Post subject:  

The text in that file is
"[fvwm951jwm]"
Is that how its supposed to be Phil?
666philb

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct 2014, 19:01    Post subject:  

hi april,
try changing it to just jwm and nothing else .... see if that fixes it

april

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct 2014, 19:07    Post subject:  

I did this
"#[fvwm951jwm]
[jwm]" with no change so I would not forget what was there but it did not change anything
All other menu entries seem to work fine except this group?

EDIT
Thanks Phil
I changed it to just "jwm" and away it went again
april

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct 2014, 20:16    Post subject:  

I was interested to note that pressing Alt-Ctl_F1 changes to the boot up terminal and on that it gives something like
[fvwm951jwm] as an option to xwin command to restart the x server I suppose.

Does anybody know what is going on here?

To get back to normal screen use Alt-Ctl_F4
mostly_lurking

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct 2014, 08:03    Post subject:  

The option to the xwin command lets you specify which window manager you want to use if you have more than one.

For example, I have 2 window managers on my Wary Puppy, JWM and Openbox, and if I wanted to switch from Openbox to JWM, I'd type 'xwin jwm'; and 'xwin openbox' to return to Openbox.

I've done a quick search and it seems that a while ago, someone else had the same problem as you (they typed 'xwin fvwm95', but it didn't work out correctly because the fvwm window manager was not installed):

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88670&sid=df48506c2f5e68ba739fc6f3c5a29205
april

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct 2014, 17:36    Post subject:  

Well thanks for that . I understand now Didn't know "fvwm95" was a window system. Like that other poster I noted the option given onn the login screen
starhawk

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct 2014, 18:01    Post subject:  

To be a little more in depth --

xwin [jwm|fvwm95]

xwin is the command. jwm and fvwm95 are mutually exclusive options/modifiers that you can tack onto that command for additional function. Sort of. In Puppy, the default is usually JWM -- so whether you type 'xwin jwm' or just 'xwin', it will quite likely do the same thing. If you have multiple window managers / desktop environments (see below) installed, 'xwin' will default to whatever you used most recently.

Remember that in Linux (including Puppy!) everything is modular. So there's actually a choice of several command-line shells out there, for example. (The command-line shell is analogous to DOS running with Windows 9x [95/98/98SE] in that, although it's used heavily by the operating system (Windows NT and 2000 were the first ones to abandon the concept of being a 'shell', or interface for an operating system, on top of DOS!), as far as the user is concerned it's most visibly used as a fallback when problems happen.

In Puppy, the command-line shell is almost universally one called 'bash' -- the Bourne-Again Shell. It's very, very common, and very, very versatile. If you remember the DOS era, you probably remember "batch files" with the extension .bat -- a text file with a list of simple DOS commands that could automatically do things. The most famous of these is actually a DOS system file -- autoexec.bat -- which DOS runs immediately upon bootup to set things up (config.sys is similar, being a plain-text file used in a similar way, but it's different in that it doesn't run standard DOS commands). Well, in bash, this is called a 'shell script'. Puppy has something that most Linux distros have, called 'busybox' which is a mountain-size pile of commands that run in bash, all stuffed into one (relatively speaking) fairly small executable program (or in Linux-speak, binary). Anything busybox can do, a shell script can do, and that's a HUGE ton of stuff! How powerful is it? Puppy, by my reckoning, is made more of shell scripts than anything else! Think about that for a minute...

*ahem*

So then there's the graphical end of things. That's handled, depending on your Puppy, by either a Window Manager (less fancy, but also less resource-intensive and more responsive) or a Desktop Environment (very fancy, can do a lot of pretty effects [which we usually call 'flashiness', usually in a somewhat derisive tone] but comparatively resource-intensive and therefore less responsive on the same hardware).

Of course if you've got bleeding-edge tech that you upgrade weekly, you won't notice the difference -- because you've got so much crazy stuff under the hood that the differences are imperceptible. But, in that sort of situation, you're probably not going to adopt Puppy to begin with Wink

There are lots and lots of graphical interfaces. Puppy's traditional choice is JWM -- Joe's Window Manager, created and maintained by Joe Wingbermuehle. There are plenty of alternatives. Common Window Managers, or WM's for short, include -- IceWM (not as much anymore, for some reason) and Openbox. Less common is Fluxbox, and there are a couple Puppians who like super lightweight WMs such as PekWM.

In the heavier category of desktop environments, there's LXDE and XFCE, which are the common ones, and MATE (a fork [split-off and continuation] of GNOME 2) in the lesser-used category. There have even been GNOME 2 and GNOME 3 (yuk) Puppies.

I'm typing this on X-Slacko 2.1, which is based on XFCE. I would have no problem running JWM on my hardware, except that I just don't like it. I'm a little picky about how things look -- I like a little bit of 'flashy', silly me Razz -- and there are some things about how JWM is used that trip me up.

For the record, the hardware end of my system, is a Core 2 Duo 2GHz CPU, 4gb RAM, and an SSD. I don't get to use all of my RAM because of a limitation of my computer's motherboard -- even a thing called PAE (which lets 32 bit operating systems, such as most Puppies, use all of your RAM instead of stopping at around 3.25gb) will not help here -- but I'm content. On Windows 7 (for example) I'd probably chew through that RAM space in a few good hours of browsing -- but on Puppy, I don't have to worry about that Wink

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: