tahrpup 6.0, 6.0.2 & 6.0.5 CE

Please post any bugs you have found
rockedge

#741 Post by rockedge »

That sounds possible. But I have been testing also by just using the CUPS-PDF as printer on the CUPS 1.7.5 machine....there is where I needed to first uninstall the 175 filters!

So iPad seeing the CUPS 175 CUPS-PDF as AirPrint capable and it started working after I removed the 175 filter PET........

I will use this 16gig stick I found here and try 175 out connected to the USB Canon printer. So only one print server running CUPS 1.7.5 and avahi-daemon on a machine connected via usb to the printer. Lets see how that works.

chillinfart

#742 Post by chillinfart »

Glamor is working partially, i found UXA acceleration references in Xorg.0.log and this isn't OK for Glamor work.

I found some hacks for Intel driver building, but i don't have idea which source code files are affected.

http://keithp.com/blogs/Glamorous_Intel/

bigpup

#743 Post by bigpup »

Tahrpup 6.0.5 PAE
Frugal + save folder
All updates from Quickpet->Info->Tahrpup updates installed.

menu->Help

The drop-down lists on the help page list programs and files that are in Tahrpup.
When you select something from these lists nothing happens.

In past versions of Puppy, selecting from these lists would take you to a web page giving detailed info about whatever you selected.

The file /usr/share/doc/index.html, that gives you this help page, still has the web links for each item in the lists.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

James186282

#744 Post by James186282 »

666philb wrote:
luiscuadrado123 wrote:how can i install nvidia driver???
i've made a request for someone to build the nvidia drivers... hopefully they'll be available soon
I'm not the someone but I've done this with success on my ancient history GT 760 board.

You need to have the devx and kernel (For the system you want to run the drivers on. Then you right click the files for the proper version of the nvidia driver to make them executable. Go to your menu and exit to the command line and type ./ Followed by the name of the nvidia package you want to compile. Then answer yes (A lot) and the nvidia drivers will compile and (If its like my experience) will set up the driver for your card in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. if you go to the /usr/share/applications directory you will see (In my version) a file named Set-nvidia You can drag it to the desktop or just click it where it is. This will let you see whats going on with your Nvidia card. If you open a terminal and type glxgears you will see if the card is working in 3D mode.
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

James186282

#745 Post by James186282 »

rcrsn51 wrote:CUPS 175 needs libjpeg9. Get it here.

This worked for me.

[Edit] No reply? Is this issue resolved?
No, Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I totally munged things rending my machine unstartable. I used it as an excuse to install Tahrpup64 which has no problems printing. Since it printed fine I went to a different problem which is making 64 bit native nvidia drivers compile. And while it has nothing to do with my initial problem I got 64 bit native nvidia drivers compiled and running on my old card and was able to turn one of my two (dual head) monitors on its side so I have one screen thats landscape and one that is portrait!
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

James186282

#746 Post by James186282 »

rg66 wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:Where in Tahrpup is powerapplet_tray being launched at startup?

/root/.config/autostart/powerapplet.desktop
Does anyone know why they are doing away with the Startup directory? Changing it to a hidden directory seems kind of confusing just to be confusing.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

bigpup

#747 Post by bigpup »

rcrsn51 has made a pet so Tahrpup can support a wifi hot spot
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 659#905659
rcrsn51 wrote:In order to support Internet sharing, the kernel must be compiled with some special components. These are missing in several recent Puppies, including Tahrpup 605. In particular, the following command will NOT work.

Code: Select all

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
Install the attached PET.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Pelo

Tahrpup with 2PDE desktop

#748 Post by Pelo »

Hungarian team dress Tahrpup (sur son 31) with 2PDE desktop from Paris ToOpPy shop ! Nice, so nice !
link to Skamilinux de Hongrie.
SMplayer and You Tube Player don't work !
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 14 Jun 2016, 02:48, edited 2 times in total.

rerwin

pmcputemp error messages on tahr64

#749 Post by rerwin »

Whenever I run tahr64 6.0.5 on my early model AMD 64 cpu PC, the xerrs.log files shows a repeated error message:

(pmcputemp:7387): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
The tray cpu temperature icon space is empty. If I right-click that space and select "Quit", the message repetition stops.

I am surprised that this has not been reported already.

In 01micko's pmcputemp thread, an i686 version on pmcputemp is offered, but no mention of an X64 version. Is version 0.63 in tahr64 actually a 64-bit version of pmcputemp?
Richard

Sailor Enceladus

Re: pmcputemp error messages on tahr64

#750 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

rerwin wrote:Whenever I run tahr64 6.0.5 on my early model AMD 64 cpu PC, the xerrs.log files shows a repeated error message:

(pmcputemp:7387): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
The tray cpu temperature icon space is empty. If I right-click that space and select "Quit", the message repetition stops.

In 01micko's pmcputemp thread, an i686 version on pmcputemp is offered, but no mention of an X64 version. Is version 0.63 in tahr64 actually a 64-bit version of pmcputemp?
Richard
For me the temperature in 6.0.5 64-bit only shows up if I restart X. I thought it just didn't work at all, but I restarted X once and then the number 52 or 53 magically appeared on my screen after. Tried it again now, showed up blank, I restarted X and now it's saying 28. Before I restarted, /tmp/xerrs.log was showing the same as yours, and after, nothing, so I guess it works 'kinda'.

duckguy

Re: pmcputemp error messages on tahr64

#751 Post by duckguy »

This is a related "bug" with pmcputemp, hopefully not cluttering up this thread.

I finally seemed to get the Tahrpup64 running well on my old iMac, and now after the latest updates am no longer running it. I can only run it in live-CD mode, I no longer can save any type of configuration. Even if I delete the old save files, I still get the same error pop-up ... also the internet connection settings lose the hardware info, so I can't even go online to post this bug.

I tried uninstalling all the startup features too. When I create a brand new savefile from the CD, the same error still appears. The CD is a closed CD, and the system was running fine before, for a few months. I don't understand this.

I am posting this from the "live" CD. Here is a screen shot too. This is a persistent error, even with a first time- reboot using a "clean" save file.

Thanks in advance.
rerwin wrote:Whenever I run tahr64 6.0.5 on my early model AMD 64 cpu PC, the xerrs.log files shows a repeated error message:

Richard
[/img]
Attachments
PMCPUTEMP-063_BUGa-001.jpg
Screen shot of persistent error message. You can see I have lost my WIFI connection.
(111.32 KiB) Downloaded 374 times

Bird Dog

Dell Demension 3000 & Optiplex 755 Kernel Panic

#752 Post by Bird Dog »

I would first like to thank 666phib and a few others for this great puppy os. I'm really enjoying the pale moon and tahrpup updates and everything worked right ootb for these almost 15 and 10 year old computers. I think that's whats most impressive about puppy is that it works with almost everything regardless of age.
I seem to have acquired a small problem after two flawless full installs. I am getting a kernel panic with a Dell optiplex 755 (64 bit celeron, 2 gigs ram) and Dell Dimension 3000 (P4, 1 gig of ram). Both are running tahrpup 6.0.5 no pae with Linux 3.14.56 (i686) kernel. I thought it was when I did updates at first but after not doing updates on the newer machine it happened to the second computer also. After shutting down with the power button and rebooting everything is perfect on both computers.
Although I haven't seen problems similar on the tahrpup submit bugs forum I've seen recommendations to change kernels. In quickpet there is a change kernels button which takes me to a NLUUG webpage. Looking at the kernels listed there is a 3.4.183 no pae.tar.xz that looks older and possibly good for my machines. The instructions say to download, unzip and copy over the valinuz & zdrv.sfs files over the installed ones.
Does this mean delete the old and install the new?
Would anyone recommend me doing this or would there be another path to follow?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bird Dog
Frugal Xenialpup 64, Bionicpup 64 save folder on core2 quad Q6600 2 gigs ram, AMD 6 core 4 gigs ram. Frugal Xenialpup 32, Bionicpup 32 save folder on P4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, Dell P4 Celeron 2.4 ghz 1 gig ram

bigpup

#753 Post by bigpup »

Kernel change, maybe.

First I would try to just delete the full installs.
Make sure the partition you are installing to is freshly formatted ext3.

Do a clean fresh full install.

Installs do sometimes not go correctly.

Puppy really works best as a frugal install.
That is what you would need to do the kernel change.
Frugal is just a name used.
It works as good as a full install and also offers options a full install does not.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Bird Dog

Dell Demension 3000 & Optiplex 755 Kernel Panic

#754 Post by Bird Dog »

Thanks for your reply bigpup. I'll try the frugel install on ext3 and if that doesn't work maybe a kernel change will and if that doesn't work maybe the new slacko will because the 64 bit works well on another core2duo machine.
I really like how pale moon and tahrpup updates although I'm sure slacko's os updates also.

Thanks
Bird Dog
Frugal Xenialpup 64, Bionicpup 64 save folder on core2 quad Q6600 2 gigs ram, AMD 6 core 4 gigs ram. Frugal Xenialpup 32, Bionicpup 32 save folder on P4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, Dell P4 Celeron 2.4 ghz 1 gig ram

bigpup

#755 Post by bigpup »

no parallel port option in CUPS in Tahrpup 6.0.5

This is a topic in the Hardware->Printers section of the forum.
The solution is posted.

Possibly points to a bug in Tahrpup.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107448
YaPI(any iso installer)

anewuser

evince + djvu

#756 Post by anewuser »

Hello. I reported that tahr 6.0 did not support djvu files and supported was added.

But there is no "run set action" for djvu, which is easy to add if you're used to puppy or if you follow instructions, but yet.

djvu files open perfectly from open files in evince.

I might be the only user to read djvu files from archive.org heh.

PS: forgot to mention, one thing that does not work are function keys (fv+F6/F7) to increase/decrease brightness on a Toshiba NB505 (netbook with atom processor). Not in any of: tahr, slacko, or librepup. I'll report in their respective threads.

PS2: are there any settings to resets custom settings made to the iso? some like, "reset to factory settings" and have a pristine iso again?
Last edited by anewuser on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#757 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Bird Dog

Slacko64 updates via Menu>Setup>Updates Manager

Here to help

Sailor Enceladus

Re: evince + djvu

#758 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

anewuser wrote:Hello. I reported that tahr 6.0 did not support djvu files and supported was added.

But there is no "run set action" for djvu, which is easy to add if you're used to puppy or if you follow instructions, but yet.

djvu files open perfectly from open files in evince.

I might be the only user to read djvu files from archive.org heh.
You aren't the only one, I set djvu files to open in evince when clicking on them in Slacko also. :)

abhishek-kumar

pwallpaper is missing from tahrpup 6.0.5

#759 Post by abhishek-kumar »

pwallpaper is missing from tahrpup 6.0.5 , I used the binary from the older version ( 6.0.2 ) to set my wallpaper. Please give a proper fix for this. Also where are the other fixes ?? I only got tahrfix8.

abhishek-kumar

Segment fault for qt 5.5 sfs

#760 Post by abhishek-kumar »

I got a segment fault in qt 5.5 sfs for qt creator binary, uhm , could anyone tell me which one works in qt 5 ? ( there are 3 sfs ) . I presume that qt 4.8 is already present in devx sfs . but it would be more productive if I would use qt 5's qt creator for development. Thanks for the help :)