tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mavrothal

Re: Want to avoid automatic savings to flash when installing pet

#1456 Post by mavrothal »

nic007 wrote:
Sailor Enceladus wrote:
mavrothal wrote:This is user configurable (for systems with low RAM and thus tempfs or just less test-oriented users)
Nice. Never knew about this option until now. Sounds like exactly what backi is looking for and I've always been curious also. I just checked and didn't see it in the menu, then realized I'm in PUPMODE=5 so makes sense, I'll try again with a savefile later.
Does it work when you have a save folder instead of a save file?
This option is available only in pupmode 3, 7 and 13 (when you see a save icon on your desktop)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

nic007

Re: Want to avoid automatic savings to flash when installing pet

#1457 Post by nic007 »

mavrothal wrote:
nic007 wrote:
Sailor Enceladus wrote: Nice. Never knew about this option until now. Sounds like exactly what backi is looking for and I've always been curious also. I just checked and didn't see it in the menu, then realized I'm in PUPMODE=5 so makes sense, I'll try again with a savefile later.
Does it work when you have a save folder instead of a save file?
This option is available only in pupmode 3, 7 and 13 (when you see a save icon on your desktop)
Okay so doesn't matter if you are using a save file or save folder. Good, thanks

gyro

#1458 Post by gyro »

My intended comment is no longer needed.
gyro

watchdog

#1459 Post by watchdog »

newpet wrote:/
Tahrpup 6.0.5.

Problem: When I try to manually change my save-file name, it results in a broken file.

for example:

tahrsave_crypta-abc.2fs --------> tahrsave_crypta-def.2fs
When you copy the savefile is it in use? I copy lightencrypted savefiles also in use. When I copy a lightencrypted savefile at first boot it complains a not properly shutdown session but I click "ignore" and it works. I suggest to try to copy the heavily encrypted savefile from a living session with pfix=ram.

newpet

#1460 Post by newpet »

watchdog wrote:
newpet wrote:/
Tahrpup 6.0.5.

Problem: When I try to manually change my save-file name, it results in a broken file.

for example:

tahrsave_crypta-abc.2fs --------> tahrsave_crypta-def.2fs
When you copy the savefile is it in use? I copy lightencrypted savefiles also in use. When I copy a lightencrypted savefile at first boot it complains a not properly shutdown session but I click "ignore" and it works. I suggest to try to copy the heavily encrypted savefile from a living session with pfix=ram.
Hi, watchdog,
I just make a copy of the .2fs file. Eventually, I have two identical .2fs files (same md5), but with slightly different names.
The oddity is that when I switch in order to use the just created clone-file, it does not recko it, saying: 'Updating... layered-filesystem next boot will be faster!
When done, a popup warns: 'Your old pinboard file has been converted to the new XML format.'
But the desktop is empty, and I merely can shut the pc off.
Also, the two files remain unchanged and untouched.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

watchdog

#1461 Post by watchdog »

newpet wrote: Hi, watchdog,
I just make a copy of the .2fs file.
I repeat: is the savefile in use when you copy it with another name? You should be sure all softwares are "quiet" when doing this and not writing to the savefile. I do not use heavy encryption and I'm not sure that this is the problem. Your savefile could be corrupted or it could be a real bug but you have before to try to copy the savefile from a live session without using the savefile in copying. Boot your install adding "pfix=ram" in menu.lst (if you are using grub4dos) before copying the savefile:

Code: Select all

kernel /tahr605/vmlinuz   psubdir=tahr605 pmedia=atahd pfix=ram
(it's just an example of the kernel line, change it for your case). You can also boot the CD and use the option:

Code: Select all

[boot:] puppy pfix=ram
and then mount the drive where your frugal install resides and copy the savefile you want to copy with another name.

EDIT: I have done a fast test with my frugal tahr 6.0.5 install using heavily encrypted savefiles. I created a heavily encrypted savefile and I have copied it when in use (with all softwares closed) with another name without using a live session. The new created savefile is correctly booted (it just complains that the last session was not correctly closed but click "Ignore" and it works fine). I use a ext4 formatted sda1 partition. If bug is It can be related to other configurations. How did you format the partition where your frugal install resides? Can you test copying heavily encrypted savefiles with another newly created heavily encrypted savefile? Your savefile could be corrupted.

Sailor Enceladus

#1462 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

newpet wrote:Hi, watchdog,
I just make a copy of the .2fs file. Eventually, I have two identical .2fs files (same md5), but with slightly different names.
The oddity is that when I switch in order to use the just created clone-file, it does not recko it, saying: 'Updating... layered-filesystem next boot will be faster!
When done, a popup warns: 'Your old pinboard file has been converted to the new XML format.'

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I got the "Updating... layered-filesystem" thing too if I copied/changed the name, if you save after it reaches the desktop I think it only happens once though. The pinboard thing was an old bug in woof-ce I think, it will probably be fixed in Tahrpup 6.0.6.

newpet

#1463 Post by newpet »

watchdog wrote:
newpet wrote: Hi, watchdog,
I just make a copy of the .2fs file.
I repeat: is the savefile in use when you copy it with another name? You should be sure all softwares are "quiet" when doing this and not writing to the savefile.
@watchdog, thanks for your response

Obviously, I made a cold copy, when the savefile is not in use. I duplicate it twice, first time from another puppy usb stick, then from windows (its a fat32 part. device), with same results (same checksum I mean).
Furthermore, I can set my usb fd to be 'no-writable', so it's in no way affected by the OS choice.
Since the checksum is identical, one may think these two files perform identically. But weirdly, their functionality seems someway affected by their name. Even with the same amount of digits, as in the example below.
Any clue?

Thanks

newpet

#1464 Post by newpet »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
newpet wrote:Hi, watchdog,

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks again

I got the "Updating... layered-filesystem" thing too if I copied/changed the name, if you save after it reaches the desktop I think it only happens once though. The pinboard thing was an old bug in woof-ce I think, it will probably be fixed in Tahrpup 6.0.6.
@Sailor Enceladus
The problem is that I can't save the updated/modified layered-filesystem because resulting desktop looks defective, no icons ecc.
I assume savefile name is someway related to the encr/decr process, on my fat32 partition, at least.

@watchdog
Not sure how it behaves on ext4, I formatted fat and never experienced problems so far. I moved the .2fs files many times, I never had data loss or any even weak sign of file corruption.

Anybody able to reproduce this behaviour?

Thanks

newpet

#1465 Post by newpet »

newpet wrote: Hello,

I'm a happy tahrpup 6.0.5 32b user. How can I resize/shrink desktop icons, shortcuts, symlinks and drivers icons, for exemple from 48x48 pixels to 32x32 ?

Thanks
Unsolved...
newpet wrote:
Hello,

Tahrpup 6.0.5.

Solved!
A little magical utility found somewhere in the forum, made the dirty job and even else.

Thanks

;)

B.K. Johnson

#1466 Post by B.K. Johnson »

inapropriate
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

RickGT351

#1467 Post by RickGT351 »

linux28 wrote:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78881
How to install this software?TahrPup 6.0
In the article you mentioned, go to the 3rd post down and it tells you how to compile it from source.
Good luck

TIW

Sylpheed

#1468 Post by TIW »

Hi there.
I downloaded Tahrpup 6.0.5 CE and find it very nice to work with.
So far the only complain I have is the non existence of a German spell-check in Sylpheed.
Could somebody point out to me please, how to go about installing one in a step by step fashion ? Thank you for your efforts.

LazY Puppy

#1469 Post by LazY Puppy »

Here's a specialized adrive for tahr 602 and 605 containing lots of programs.

A.U.D.R.E.Y.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

666philb

Re: Sylpheed

#1470 Post by 666philb »

TIW wrote:Hi there.
I downloaded Tahrpup 6.0.5 CE and find it very nice to work with.
So far the only complain I have is the non existence of a German spell-check in Sylpheed.
Could somebody point out to me please, how to go about installing one in a step by step fashion ? Thank you for your efforts.
hi TIW i did reply to your PM
here's what i said
Hi TIW,

for spell checking install 'hunspell-de-de' from the PPM (type hunspell in the findbox)

then in abiword click 'tools' then 'set language' german spelcheck should then work

in sylpheed click 'configuration' then 'common preferences' then on the 'compose' tab turn on spell checking and type de into the default box. & exit out.
then compose an email and select 'tools' and 'set spell language'

for the PDF not opening you need to set pdfs to open in evince .... look in the palemoon options ...edit>>preferences>>>applications and select pdf. choose 'use other' and then select /usr/bin/evince

goodluck

phil
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

zagreb999

SYNAPTIC PACKAGE MANAGER

#1471 Post by zagreb999 »

REGARDS...

CAN ANYBODY MAKE A PET FILE OF SYNAPTIC
PACKAGE MANAGER FOR PUPPY TAHR?
...AS IN PUPJIBARO, DEBIANDOG...

Bird Dog

Running Tahrpup 6.0.5 CE on 64 bit computer

#1472 Post by Bird Dog »

I was just wondering if anyone has had success running Tahrpup 6.0.5 CE on a 64 bit computer. In Tahrpup 6.0.5 CE Palemoon has a problem playing twitter video and after reading the Palemoon forum it sounds like this happens in windows also. Its not that big a deal and Palemoon is rock solid except for this but I might try Seamonkey because Firefox crashes too much. One last thing how do you donate money to Phil? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bird Dog
Frugal Xenialpup 64, Bionicpup 64 save folder on core2 quad Q6600 2 gigs ram, AMD 6 core 4 gigs ram. Frugal Xenialpup 32, Bionicpup 32 save folder on P4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, Dell P4 Celeron 2.4 ghz 1 gig ram

minesadorada

tahrpup in 64-bits

#1473 Post by minesadorada »

@Bird Dog I have a frugal install of tahrpup running on my 64-bit box.
I replaced palemoon with firefox which has been running fine with no crashes.

I have a problem with the 32-bit libraries, as I can't get Lazarus/fpc to cross-compile to Linux32, but having said that I find tahrpup the best 64-bit Puppy for me. The filesystem looks a bit strange, but I've got used to it. The other niggle is trying to get my dual monitors configured.

Bird Dog

Running Tahrpup 6.0.5 CE on 64 bit computer

#1474 Post by Bird Dog »

@ minesadorada. Thanks for your response. So are you saying you have tahrpup 6.0.5 CE or tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE installed on your 64 bit computer? I think its okay to install a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit computer but I was just checking to be sure. Two of my computers are P4 single core so I'm thinking that might be the problem with firefox. When I get my core 2 quad and amd 6 core going I'll give firefox another try and maybe seamonkey also.
I'm not much of a coder so I can't help you with the cross compiling. I only use one monitor at a time but I run lots of computers using the oldest ones to save the newer ones. :wink:

Thanks
Bird Dog
Frugal Xenialpup 64, Bionicpup 64 save folder on core2 quad Q6600 2 gigs ram, AMD 6 core 4 gigs ram. Frugal Xenialpup 32, Bionicpup 32 save folder on P4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, Dell P4 Celeron 2.4 ghz 1 gig ram

bigpup

#1475 Post by bigpup »

Bird Dog,

Yes, you can run 32bit Tahrpup on any computer. (X86 or X86-64, AMD32 or 64)
Tahrpup 64bit requires a processor that is 64bit capable. (X86-64, AMD64)
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)