Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 13:17
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
tahrpup 6.0.5 CE
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 110 of 115 [1724 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115 Next
TIW

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar 2017, 17:32    Post subject: Tahrpup 6.0.5
Subject description: Menu change

Hi. I would like to remove not only all the games but also the “FUN” entry in Menu. I have tried almost all I can think of but have ended up with those games removed and a “(0)” instead of a “FUN” entry in “Menu”.
How do I get rid of either “FUN” or “(0)” in the menu and
how do I adjust the “ menu size” in order to not create an empty space below “Multimedia” ?
Which steps do I have to take ? I am sorry, but the “Terminal” command-line is no friend of mine.
Thank you for your help.
TIW

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar 2017, 17:34    Post subject: Tahrpup 6.0.5
Subject description: Removal app

Hi. I would like to know what happens, when I remove applications in Tahrpup with the “ Setup/Remove-build-in-packages-tool “. Are “all” dependencies removed, or will there be some files left behind ? And if so why ?
Thanks for your help.
TIW

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar 2017, 17:44    Post subject: Tahrpup 6.0.5
Subject description: Osmo

Hi.
I would like to know, how can those Osmo-pop-up- day- notes be disabled ?
No, better yet, how can they be remove from Tahrpup ?
Osmo shows already, what needs to be done on a given day. I don’t need a second reminder .
Thank you for your help.
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar 2017, 17:58    Post subject: Re: Tahrpup 6.0.5
Subject description: Menu change

TIW wrote:
If one could single out the specific firmware needed for ones personal computer those other firmware -files could be delete and therefor decrease the size of Tahrpup installation. Hence my question : Is there any way to find out what firmware is needed ... ?
Thank you very much for your time and interest.

There's something here called "zdrv cutter", but v0.4 (detect firmware) is not available yet:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51552

If technosaurus could release v0.4 (v0.3 was the last released in 2010 I think?) that would be great! Very Happy

TIW wrote:
Hi. I would like to remove not only all the games but also the “FUN” entry in Menu. I have tried almost all I can think of but have ended up with those games removed and a “(0)” instead of a “FUN” entry in “Menu”.
How do I get rid of either “FUN” or “(0)” in the menu and
how do I adjust the “ menu size” in order to not create an empty space below “Multimedia” ?
Which steps do I have to take ? I am sorry, but the “Terminal” command-line is no friend of mine.
Thank you for your help.

I have a fixmenus that gets rid of menu items with 0 entries (attached below). The exact code added to it was this "if":
Code:
   if [ "`${EXECMENU} ${MENHEIGHT} | grep -l Program`" == "(standard input)" ];then
     ${EXECMENU} ${MENHEIGHT} #>> $ONEDEST
   fi
fixmenus2.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  fixmenus2.pet 
Filesize  1.91 KB 
Downloaded  44 Time(s) 
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar 2017, 17:26    Post subject: Re: Tahrpup 6.0.5
Subject description: Removal app

TIW wrote:
Hi. I would like to know what happens, when I remove applications in Tahrpup with the “ Setup/Remove-build-in-packages-tool “. Are “all” dependencies removed, or will there be some files left behind ? And if so why ?
Thanks for your help.

This applies to all Puppy versions.
The main sfs file is read only. Nothing can be removed from it. All the programs are in the main sfs file, except programs you install.

“ Setup/Remove-builtin-packages-tool “ does not actually remove a program, but makes it hidden from you. So, it cannot be seen or used.

Remaster is the only way to actually remove a builtin-package. Basically you make your own Puppy from a Puppy you have setup the way you want it.
Anything hidden by the "remove builtin packages" is not used by remaster, so it does not get put into the remastered version of the Puppy.

However, these built in packages are not very big in size. Removing them does not really give back much room. Having them hidden keeps you from seeing them.
The other thing is, some of those built-in-programs may still be used by other programs. Actually removing them is not a good idea.

bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar 2017, 17:42    Post subject: Re: Tahrpup 6.0.5
Subject description: Osmo

TIW wrote:
Hi.
I would like to know, how can those Osmo-pop-up- day- notes be disabled ?
No, better yet, how can they be remove from Tahrpup ?
Osmo shows already, what needs to be done on a given day. I don’t need a second reminder .
Thank you for your help.

Have you tried the "hide" options in Preferences->General?

bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar 2017, 17:48    Post subject:  

666philb,

Wonder why the download page on "puppylinux.com" does not show Tahrpup 6.0.6?

Wonder why "DistroWatch" does not show any of the updated versions of Tahrpup?
It still shows Tahrpup 6.0

bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar 2017, 18:32    Post subject:  

Quickpet->Useful pets

Tempicon has been replaced by a newer program by 01micko.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98299
He provides a Tahr pet package for the program.

Do you need to update Quickpet?

prehistoric

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar 2017, 14:23    Post subject:  

@bigpup

Thanks for the reminder.

I can report that 01micko's version 0.63 works on a problematic machine where other tray temp apps failed. Tested on both Tahr64 6.0.6 and Tahr(32) 6.0.6.

Other news, I still have not packaged my working nvidia 304.134 driver for this old machine as a 64-bit pet. A 32-bit version is out there. Building from the nvidia .run file now works, now that I know what is required, but the changes to the 64-bit system are not as neat as the automatic pet builder expects.

Anyone who has a real need for this to support old equipment should send me a PM, otherwise I don't know how long it will take me to get back to the problem.
DAC324

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar 2017, 18:45    Post subject: How to update from earlier versions?  

Hello all,

As I was not able to find information on that topic, I herewith kindly ask you for assistance.

How can I upgrade Puppy Linux tahrpup from a previously installed earlier version to the current one?
I am just looking for an approach like in Debian or Ubuntu where you can accomplish the upgrade via
Code:
apt-get dist-upgrade
without losing the current configuration settings.
Is there a similar way in Puppy Linux or do I have to re-install the latest version from scratch, having to re-configure everything again from the beginning?

Thank you very much for your help in advance and kind regards,

DAC324
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar 2017, 21:25    Post subject: Post Subject  

Hi DAC324,

I'm not sure this is the information you're looking for, or if its too late to use it. I take it that you've recently upgraded from Tahrpup 6.0.5 to Tahrpup 6.0.6. and that both were, or are, frugal installs.

No. Puppy doesn't have a simple way like Ubuntu. Or has a simpler way, but different.

All the changes you've made to Tahrpup's condition since you first booted into it exist in your SaveFile/Folder.

This is how I do it.

Regardless of what Puppy I'm running, I never keep data files --files created by Worprocessors, graphic applications, etc. -- in /root/my-documents. I open one rox-filer window to /root and a second window to /mnt/home. Left-Press hold, then drag my-documents from /root to /mnt/home, select Move. Left-press hold, then drag my-documents from /mnt/home, select Link(relative). /mnt/home is not within "Puppy Space". If anything goes wrong, I can rebuild (or change) Puppies. If you loose documents, they're gone.

If anything goes wrong, I want to be able to install into my new system the applications I had in my old. So I open Puppy Package Manager and Click "Uninstall" and maneuver its window so that every application appears on the screen. Then I Menu>Setup>SFS-Load so the loaded SFSes also appear on the screen. Then I take a screen-shot and save it outside 'Puppy Space".

Running a Frugal install, all the changes you made are preserved in your Save File or Folder. It's on /mnt/home and will have the name tahrsave-xxx, where xxx is any additional you gave it when you created it.

What I actually did was to edit grub4dos's menu.lst. Initially menu.lst referred to the folder named "tahr" in which my original version of tahrpup was located. I unpacked tahrpup-6.0.6 into a folder named "tahr-n". I edited menu.lst to now refer to tahr-n. I then copied tahrsave-xxx from the tahr folder to the tahr-n folder. The new version of tahr used the SaveFile/Folder. IIRC, there were a couple of things I had to adjust. If everything went well, I could then delete my old tahr folder [and, optionally, rename tahr-n folder and menu.lst's reference to it].

[Alternative method: You can always get tahrpup 6.0.5's necessary files by mounting its ISO. So you could also just copy tahrsave-xxx to a folder 2 layers deep, e.g, into Top-of-a-partition/tahr/protect. Tahrpup won't offer to use that SaveFile/Folder. Except for the SaveFile/Folder, delete the other files in "tahr" and unpack the new tahr iso into the tahr folder].

But I found that openshot wasn't working. It worked under Tahr 6.0.5. Not sure what I did or the change did. I couldn't get its python component to function. Tried deleting and re-installing. Nada. As I also have xenialpup my upgrade of tarhpup wasn't essential. So I deleted the tahr-n folder and changed menu.lst back.

In general, it may be possible to use an "old" SaveFile/Folder in a new version of the same Puppy unless its creator tells you otherwise. Always read the release notes. And take note of the version numbers 6.0.6 is an upgrade of 6.0.5. It is substantially different from tahrpup 5.8.x. The chances of a successful use are slim. You can still try, since you now have a safe fall back, or the ability to rebuild a SaveFile/Folder with the applications you previously used.

While reading the release notes, see if any application you installed was made part of the "upgrade". After you've copied your backup SaveFile/Folder, and before you try to use it, uninstall any application the creator has included.

mikesLr
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 08 Mar 2017, 02:46    Post subject:  

Quote:
How can I upgrade Puppy Linux tahrpup from a previously installed earlier version to the current one?

This is only in Tahrpup.

Quickpet->Info->Tahrpup updates.

It will add any bug fixes and updates.

For updates to the version. Say V6.0 to V6.0.5.
You will have to run the Tahrpup Updates several times, because it will do it in stages.
V6.0 to V6.0.2
V6.0.2 to V6.0.3
V6.0.3 to V6.0.5

I do not think Quickpet has the info yet to update from V6.0.5 to V6.0.6.
Version 6.0.6 is still in testing and bug fixing.

ally

PostPosted: Wed 08 Mar 2017, 12:28    Post subject:  

managed to brick my installs whilst trying elementary os (don't bother)

new frugal install of tahr 6.0.6, YASSM not working, no other faults so far

(connected ok with pnethood)

Smile

edit: realised I didn't provide much detail (!), yassm runs and scans system but only finds hidden@noname?

Smile

Last edited by ally on Wed 08 Mar 2017, 12:47; edited 1 time in total
rockedge

PostPosted: Wed 08 Mar 2017, 12:38    Post subject:  

just noticed YASSM is not working on my install of tahr 6.0.6 after you mentioned it.......
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 08 Mar 2017, 13:33    Post subject: Upgrade tahrpup  

Hi DAC324,

Just compared my post with bigpup's. Embarassed All I can say is "Well, if you want to do it the easy way!". Rolling Eyes

mikeslr
Page 110 of 115 [1724 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: