tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
newpet

#1741 Post by newpet »

@ watchdog, thanks for your quick reply.

As you stated, I can't actually access any file saved as standard palemoon when I run as spot.
Addictionally, I can't save any file outside spot folder.

Said that, it's always possible to see each folder tree of my system and read text files from 'spot-palemoon', no matter where they are nested.

Not properly a perfect solution, but certainly a further protection while browsing.

grazie per le utili informazioni

_/\________________

newpet

#1742 Post by newpet »

Hi Phil and welcome back !

Tahrpup 6.0.6 32bit and eeePC.

Each time I log off, tahrpup turns on bluetooth. On following reboot, I always have to enter the bios configuration and manually reset it, since I never use any wireless device.

Tahrpup 6.0.6 does not share this strange behaviour with tahrpup 6.0.5 or xenialpups. Is this fixable?

Thanks

_/\________________

backi

#1743 Post by backi »

Hi !
Thar Pup 6.0.6 does not show my external usb-harddisk formatted Fat32 when inserted ......pmount also does not. Gparted does .

Tahrpup 6.0.5 does show and mount that Drive .......also Xenial Dog .
Is there somethings missing ....Drivers ---Programms which is included in Tahrpup 6.0.5 and Xenial Dog ?

Thanks in advance !

torgo

can't find save file one level deep

#1744 Post by torgo »

Hi all. Been way too long since I've been around and helped with any testing, but I'm trying out Tahr 6.06 and have run across something that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet.

I'm working with a painfully slow HP 2000 laptop. Hard drive is NTFS (for Win 10). It's not my machine, so I'm not doing a frugal install or anything that would cause a permanent change - I'm simply booting from CD and saving a save file to the hard drive, which I will move off of the machine later.

I created a "/tahrpup606" folder to hold all the Puppy stuff for easy transfer. The catch is that the boot process doesn't find the save files or the main SFS files that I put in that folder.

When I copy the save file and SFS files to the partition's top level, it finds and loads them perfectly fine, but it doesn't seem to see them one layer deep in the /tahrpup606 folder.

Has anyone else observed this behavior?

watchdog

#1745 Post by watchdog »

Copy the CD's content in /tahrpup606 folder where is your savefile. You do not need grub4dos to boot the frugal install. Boot the Cd and use boot option:

Code: Select all

[boot:] puppy pmedia=atahd
I would put any extra sfs file to load at / of the hd.

backi

#1746 Post by backi »

Torgo wrote
I created a "/tahrpup606" folder to hold all the Puppy stuff for easy transfer. The catch is that the boot process doesn't find the save files or the main SFS files that I put in that folder.
Same goes for me........while tahrpup 6.0.5 does boot from a subfolder.
When booting Tahrpup 6.0.6 from / (root) .........it does boot .

escucha

#1747 Post by escucha »

If you are in the grub loader, then in menu.lst if you must add psubdir referenced as this:

kernel /tahr64-605/vmlinuz psubdir=tahr64-605

along with many others modifiers you can have in.
[size=75]Trying Fossapup 64bit. Still daily work in Bionic64.[/size]

watchdog

#1748 Post by watchdog »

I booted my frugal install on hd of tahr 6.0.6 by the CD. Press tab at the first entry of the boot menu to edit it and change "pmedia=cd" with "pmedia=atahd psubdir=tahrpup606".

weffy

#1749 Post by weffy »

frugal installed 6.0.6 32 bit

X doesn't immediately start. If I wait a couple minutes, the X dialogue appears and I can type xwin and the normal screen appears. I tried replacing the etc/X11/xorg.conf file with the one from my original Tahr 6.0CE, but it acts the same.

This is a Lenovo Thinkpad with 2x AMD A6-5350M processor and Radeon HD 8450G video card.

bigpup

#1750 Post by bigpup »

Installed on hard drive partition formatted what?
Using what boot loader?
Are you using the save from the Tahrpup 6.0CE?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

weffy

#1751 Post by weffy »

The hard drive is formatted as ntfs - the laptop is shared with Windows7.

The pup save is new, it is formatted as ext3. Which i'm thinking may be a mistake. Would ext2 be better?

Not sure about the boot loader. First screen says Windows boot manager. I choose Puppy and second screen is Grub.

Thanks for the response.

edit - the Tahr6.0Ce pupsave is .2fs. I think I shoukd make the 6.0.6 the same. Do I need to delete and start a new one?

weffy

#1752 Post by weffy »

Upon further thought I decided the format of the save file wouldn't matter, I have the option in Grub to load without the save file, and it loads the same. I changed it anyway to ext2, 2 gigs.
I went into BIOS and I changed startup from legacy bios to UEFI. No difference.
It's not a horrible thing to live with- I'll survive. I do like it otherwise.

bigpup

#1753 Post by bigpup »

The hard drive is formatted as ntfs - the laptop is shared with Windows7
Any drive that is also used by Windows.

Before installing Puppy

Need to run Windows defrag and chkdsk programs on the ntfs partition to defrag it and check and correct any errors in the ntfs file system.

A fragmented file system can cause all kinds of problems with Puppy installs.
YaPI(any iso installer)

RetroTechGuy

#1754 Post by RetroTechGuy »

bigpup wrote:
The hard drive is formatted as ntfs - the laptop is shared with Windows7
Any drive that is also used by Windows.

Before installing Puppy

Need to run Windows defrag and chkdsk programs on the ntfs partition to defrag it and check and correct any errors in the ntfs file system.

A fragmented file system can cause all kinds of problems with Puppy installs.
For a good defragger, I recommend "Defraggler" by Piriform. The included Windows defragger does a poor job, in my opinion. Go to the "builds" page and get the "portable version" (if you come in from the front, you have to wade through several pages to reach "builds", at the bottom of one of the pages)

https://www.piriform.com/defraggler/builds

BTW, I would not generally recommend that you install a frugal Puppy on a Win10 partition. Win10 is hostile to other systems -- my observation is that every time Puppy "modifies" the hard drive, such as copying a file onto it, Win10 decides that it absolutely must do a FULL SCAN of the hard drive, then "fixes" the added file by removing it. I could see it deciding to "fix" your save file, and deleting it...for your "convenience"...

Windows7 seemed to tolerate it - though I actually booted from a USB, which then pointed to the HDD for the system and save files (I didn't want to mess with the boot sequence, which it trickier than on XP systems -- but if you want to do so, see Lin'N'Win for instructions -- I run Lin'N'Win on all of my XP and older machines)

http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwi ... innwin.htm

Incidentally, on WinXP and older, it's easier to do the modifications from Linux (you don't have to unhide files, etc). Drop the files in, edit the boot loader file, and make sure that your menu.lst points to the correct locations.

On my Win10, I run my Puppy on an external USB HDD, velcroed to the back of the lid (for the reasons explained above). When I want to run Win10, I unplug the USB. When I want Puppy, I make sure that it boots from the USB...

If you just want to tinker with the machine, without permanent mods, install to a flash drive or USB HDD. Change to BIOS to look at CD and USB first.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

foxpup

screen tearing (sort of)

#1755 Post by foxpup »

I have tahr6.0.2 32bit on a 10 year old intel dualcore desktop. I rebuild it to my liking, it does not look much like tahr anymore ;-)

For a year now, I have an ideapad, i5 quadcore, dual graphic cards (intel/nvidia) with windoze10. I don't use windows a lot. I run a collection of modern Puppies on it, kernel at least 4.1.
Now I got the idea to try tahrpup64-6.0.6 on it. With the old 3.14 kernel it does not get to X at all.
So I decided to switch the kernel with the recent 4.9.58 kernel from xenialpup. Now I do get to X! At first sight of the tahr desktop with its beautiful icons, my heart skipped a beat; I recognised again what wonderful build Tahr is.
But there is a little problem: there seems to be some "screen tearing". It appears/disappears in rox or other windows (the browser) when I resize them or scroll. In pupsysinfo the top bar with the menus is black until I click in it. The tearing is not static, it changes (blocks, stripes, black surfaces... ) and it can disappear when I click on another window or on the menu button.
Is there something I can do?

I also noticed that the icons in the applet tray flicker from time to time. I don't think that is normal behaviour?
Attachments
capture16438.jpg
(53.16 KiB) Downloaded 1037 times

bigpup

#1756 Post by bigpup »

You would do best to just use Xenialpup on that new a computer.
A lot of stuff is more up to date than what is in Tahrpup.

But if you must.

You can try this:
stop screen tearing using old Intel graphics hardware.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 286#977286
666philb wrote:hi DustyPixel,

create a blank file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

the mouse way is to navigate to /etc//X11/xorg.conf.d right click and choose 'new' then 'blank file' and call it '20-intel.conf'
then open the file (left click or right click & open as text ) and paste the code in and save.

Code: Select all

echo 'Section "Device"
  Identifier  "Card0"
  Driver      "intel"
  VendorName  "INTEL Corporation"
  Option "DRI" "3"
  Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
  Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection' > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
the above worked for me on an intel graphics based PC

and the combi way ... high-lite the code above and use middle click (or both mouse buttons at once) to paste into a terminal .

write down on a some paper the path to the file ....
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
so you can delete it from the terminal if X doesn't start
rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
YaPI(any iso installer)

foxpup

#1757 Post by foxpup »

RetroTechGuy wrote:If you just want to tinker with the machine, without permanent mods, install to a flash drive or USB HDD. Change to BIOS to look at CD and USB first.
good advice!
@weffy
You should try first to boot from usb stick before installing tahr6.0.6 on your HDD, to see if it can boot on your system.

Do I understand correctly tahr6.0 does already boot from your HDD? Are you sure there is no mess up between the 2?
By the way, do you remember how you got grub? And the choice between windows and puppy in the windows bootloader? Did you make an entry for tahr6.0.6 in grub (grub.cfg)?

I have often put Puppy next to windows in the same nfts partition - I still keep 1 Puppy there, as a 'security measure' - and it always worked, no problems. But I do prefer to shrink the windows partition, as much as I can, and to make a linux partition (I mostly choose ext3) on the free space. Shrinking the windows partition is not so difficult, just be careful and read up on it before you do it.

foxpup

screen tearing (sort of)

#1758 Post by foxpup »

@bigpup
I will try the fix from Phil and report. Thank you.

I do have xenialpup on this machine, next to slacko6.9.9.9, LxPupSc, Pyro0.6.4, fatdog720, dpupstretch (radky and OscarTalks), artfulpup and some others :-)
I am just trying Tahr for old times' sake. Although Tahr is not that old. (I may even try wary5.5 with a new kernel. ;-)

weffy

#1759 Post by weffy »

foxpup This was originally a Lucid 528 install somebody made to go with Windows from several years ago. I installed the Tahr 6.0CE and never had a boot problem. I will probably uninstall this 606 and do the defrag and re-install. I am now getting some file errors and file fixes now when booting.

foxpup

#1760 Post by foxpup »

@weffy
Good luck with the defrag. I never liked to do that. Let us know if it solves your problem.

What do you do to install a Puppy, the Tahr 6.0 for example? Do you add the install to the grub.cfg?
Last edited by foxpup on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.