Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 19 Nov 2017, 08:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
tahrpup 6.0.5 CE
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 30 of 117 [1748 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, ..., 115, 116, 117 Next
panoss

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2015, 07:15    Post subject:  

Ok, I installed nvidia-glx-304.123-k3.14.20-pae from Video Upgrade Wizard and rebooted and seems to work fine, thanks!
I will try again 340.58PAE since this is the correct one for my case.
666philb

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2015, 07:37    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
666philb wrote:
i was hoping that some benevolent benefactor 01micko...shinobar....you Smile
would come and fix xorgwizard for everyone first! Cool

You have noticed that benefactors are running thin, so I would not necessarily wait for them.

Regarding xorgwizard, what is the problem? I do not have any with it.
Actually in my VMs, X does not start on first boot (is fine with physical machines) and I run xorgwizard that fixes it.
Do we have a/some "test case/s" that reliably presents the problem?

the problems with xorgwizard occur when you try changing drivers ... for instance try switching to the unaccelerated driver (requires reboot) and you'll probably end up at a black screen with flashing cursor requiring a hard power off. if not try to switch back to the accelerated.
same when trying to switch between other drivers eg. back to nouveau after uninstalling nvidia blackscreen with flashing cursor.

panoss

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2015, 07:56    Post subject:  

No, 340.58PAE shows me again the message you see in the attachment (even though I restarted xserver and rebooted).
I 'll re-install nvidia-glx-304.123-k3.14.20-pae, I suppose that's the correct one.
sc2.png
 Description   
 Filesize   25.51 KB
 Viewed   940 Time(s)

sc2.png

peebee

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2015, 08:04    Post subject:  

666philb wrote:
if anyone is using the nvidia graphics driver on kernel 3.14.20 .... can you confirm that it's still working after applying the update ... thanks

Confirmed - 304.123 k3.14.20 pets both updated pae and no-pae work correctly

peebee

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2015, 08:06    Post subject:  

panoss wrote:
No, 340.58PAE shows me again the message you see in the attachment (even though I restarted xserver and rebooted).
I 'll re-install nvidia-glx-304.123-k3.14.20-pae, I suppose that's the correct one.

I suspect you have hardware that is only supported by the 304. driver - nvidia drivers are very specific and older hardware is not supported by newer drivers....

peebee

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2015, 08:09    Post subject:  

666philb wrote:
the problems with xorgwizard occur when you try changing drivers ... for instance try switching to the unaccelerated driver (requires reboot) and you'll probably end up at a black screen with flashing cursor requiring a hard power off. if not try to switch back to the accelerated.
same when trying to switch between other drivers eg. back to nouveau after uninstalling nvidia blackscreen with flashing cursor.

I can confirm this behaviour.....

panoss

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2015, 08:14    Post subject:  

I re-installed nvidia-glx-304.123-k3.14.20-pae and I got the message seen in the attachment.

I rebooted and everything seems fine..
sc3.png
 Description   
 Filesize   22.23 KB
 Viewed   917 Time(s)

sc3.png

gyro

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2015, 08:40    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
So what changed? Did Phil do something more than add the hid-logitch-dj driver?
You can see all that changed by comparing the "/lib/modules/3.14.20/modules.builtin" files from the respective zdrv's.
gyro
mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2015, 08:44    Post subject:  

666philb wrote:

I'm afraid I have no way to reproduce the problem (no nVidia drivers and the intel driver works fine in my machines) and thus can not even try to address the problem.
However, you may want to try to get the /etc/X11/xorg.conf files under different conditions and see which ones are generated OK by xorgwizard (if any) and which ones not. This might give a clue to what the problem may be. You can also get an xorgwizard log to see what is it doing and what might be wrong there.
You may also want to see if removing xorg.conf allows X to figure it out by itself without any xorgwizard input. If this is the case then you can instruct xorgwizard to bailout if certain nVidia drivers are detected.

666philb

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2015, 09:45    Post subject:  

it's not just an nvidia issue it's the same with radion and probably intel (will try intel later) as soon as you enter xorgwizard you're kinda screwed ... if i select the first option no kms and reboot i get to go through testing x and then the blackscreen and hard power off.

if i choose the second option unaccelerated ...all's ok but if i want to swap back i end up at the blackscreen

if i choose cancel i end up immediately back at the desktop (older pups dropped you to prompt) with no mouse or keyboard. rebooting solves this.

removing xorg.conf from the save didn't solve it .

Last edited by 666philb on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 12:22; edited 1 time in total
mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2015, 10:30    Post subject:  

666philb wrote:
some logs for comparison

It would appear that the logs are comming from different machines and/or OSs (for sure kernels) and your failing machine reports
Quote:
[drm:radeon_init] *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module!
but your other kernel works fine.

The other error in Xorg at the very top,
Quote:
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/puppypc13625:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6

also points to an kernel issue. It would appear that your non-pae kernel is missing IPv6 support or IPv6 is blocked somehow.

So non of these appear to be xorgwizard issues.
You may want to get some logs from a machine that has as the only change the use of xorgwizard.

Latter: any chance that this is a machine with more than one monitors?

666philb

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2015, 12:27    Post subject:  

oooops not sure how that happened.

these logs are definately from a fresh standard tahrpup ... the computer has a single monitor (although it does have a second port)
xorg_logs.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  xorg_logs.tar.gz 
Filesize  53.4 KB 
Downloaded  117 Time(s) 

mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2015, 14:42    Post subject:  

666philb wrote:
oooops not sure how that happened.

these logs are definately from a fresh standard tahrpup ... the computer has a single monitor (although it does have a second port)

Hmm. the same 2 issues appear though (UMS and inet6).

So this is a fresh install where the autoXconf picks ATI radeon 3000 and works fine and then you exit to prompt, run xorgwizard and reboot?, or run xorgwizard check that is fine and goes to desktop (or not) and then reboot?
If the second can we have messages and the new Xorg.log after xorgwizard success (or failure) but before reboot? Also check if /tmp/xerrs.log has anything interesting in this case.

bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2015, 20:17    Post subject:  

panoss wrote:

Well, Nvidia states a lot of hardware works with a specific driver, but as you have discovered that is not always true. They seem to be constantly making new driver packages (to support the new stuff).
The driver package, supported hardware list, still lists a lot of the old hardware. Seems to be hit or miss if it really does still support a specific old hardware.
Falling back to a slightly older driver package, seems to be what needs to be done, till you find the one that will work.

Who knows, they could have introduced a bug that affected the hardware you have.

I have some Nvidia hardware that has to use the 173 driver. Nothing newer than that will work. However, some newer driver packages say they support my hardware.

bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2015, 20:25    Post subject:  

A battery monitoring program you may want to add to Tahrpup.
Maybe add to Quickpet.

Batterup - A Laptop Battery Monitor
As laptop batteries age, they may start to misreport their information to the computer, causing the Puppy battery monitor to fail.

Batterup is a very simple replacement that will keep working. It displays the time remaining until shutdown and pops up a warning message when the battery is getting low.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91019

Page 30 of 117 [1748 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, ..., 115, 116, 117 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: