Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 08:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
tahrpup 6.0.5 CE
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 31 of 117 [1748 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, ..., 115, 116, 117 Next
Pelo

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan 2015, 04:16    Post subject: abiword GTK-3.0.0 in tahrpup
Subject description: Colorized outlines

Colorized outlines
Perhaps this version has other improvements.
contours.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   35.58 KB
 Viewed   1298 Time(s)

contours.jpg

666philb

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan 2015, 10:02    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
666philb wrote:
oooops not sure how that happened.

these logs are definately from a fresh standard tahrpup ... the computer has a single monitor (although it does have a second port)

Hmm. the same 2 issues appear though (UMS and inet6).

So this is a fresh install where the autoXconf picks ATI radeon 3000 and works fine and then you exit to prompt, run xorgwizard and reboot?, or run xorgwizard check that is fine and goes to desktop (or not) and then reboot?
If the second can we have messages and the new Xorg.log after xorgwizard success (or failure) but before reboot? Also check if /tmp/xerrs.log has anything interesting in this case.

the good log is before touching xorgwizard (i rebooted to create a save first) the bad log after

UMS user-space mode switching seems to be the problem. the kernels are compiled without this option as it's depreciated on both radeon and intel,
nouveau doesn't have the option at all.
Code:
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_UMS:

Choose this option if you still need userspace modesetting.

Userspace modesetting is deprecated for quite some time now, so
enable this only if you have ancient versions of the DDX drivers.

Symbol: DRM_RADEON_UMS [=n]
Type  : boolean
Prompt: Enable userspace modesetting on radeon (DEPRECATED)
      -> Graphics support
        -> ATI Radeon (DRM_RADEON [=m])
  Defined at drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/Kconfig:1
  Depends on: HAS_IOMEM [=y] && DRM_RADEON [=m]

when you boot tahrpup you can see that the graphics mode gets set after loading kernel modules, none of the options in xorgwizard have any (positive) affect. selecting unaccelerated doesn't do anything as glxgears still runs.
It would seem that changes now need to be done by editing xorg.conf and possibly boot parameters... not xorgwizard. xorgwizard works still and is useful if x hasn't been started .... like in a VM, but once it has... it seems defunct.

intel is the best behaved as i couldn't get the blackscreen of death, but still ... the unaccelerated option doesn't work, and just pressing cancel spits you back to desktop with no mouse or keyboard until reboot.

i managed to get a small xerrs.log from when the blackscreen lockup happens
xerrs.log.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  xerrs.log.gz 
Filesize  1018 Bytes 
Downloaded  141 Time(s) 

mavrothal

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan 2015, 10:23    Post subject:  

666philb wrote:
UMS user-space mode switching seems to be the problem. the kernels are compiled without this option as it's depreciated on both radeon and intel, nouveau doesn't have the option at all.

You may want to see how the ubuntus and the fedoras configure their generic kernels regarding KMS/UMS etc.
X is becoming increasingly sophisticated and if the auto-mode fails there is little the xorgwizard can do about it. Maybe a case by case hack-ins but hard to see general solutions. Good kernel and X appears to be the way to go here.

666philb

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan 2015, 15:39    Post subject:  

i had a linux mint DOTconfig handy and they have user-space mode setting for radeon but not intel, also a lot of extra frame buffer modules.

i did a test kernel with USM turned on and extra frame buffer stuff but it made no difference for xorgwizard.

from my experience with tahrpup and other peoples posts, it generally sets up the display very well on a range of different equipment. the only problem being via chipsets.

it's only when people delve into xorgwizard that problems occur. maybe we should have a warning when it's called from the menu. and sort the cancel option out

totolanio

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan 2015, 20:38    Post subject:  

Hey !
I use LXpup actually (which is based on this version !)
ANd I installed mozilla through Quickpet (awesome quickpet ! never give it up !), then I tried to install the lastest Flash version available in quickpet (and also the previous one, 11.xx.xx bis) and when I launch a video it completely freezes the session and I must restart the computer with a reset.
I tried several times.

Also, either in palemoon or mozilla, if I make a new profile located in the USB stick which also contains my savefile but outside the savefile in /sdb1/Mozilla for example, Mozilla freezes and you have to kill the process/daemon and then you can never start this profile again because it says it's in use, even if there is no more any firefox instance running ! Weird?
peebee

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan 2015, 03:23    Post subject:  

totolanio wrote:
Hey !
I use LXpup actually (which is based on this version !)
ANd I installed mozilla through Quickpet (awesome quickpet ! never give it up !), then I tried to install the lastest Flash version available in quickpet (and also the previous one, 11.xx.xx bis) and when I launch a video it completely freezes the session and I must restart the computer with a reset.
I tried several times.

Also, either in palemoon or mozilla, if I make a new profile located in the USB stick which also contains my savefile but outside the savefile in /sdb1/Mozilla for example, Mozilla freezes and you have to kill the process/daemon and then you can never start this profile again because it says it's in use, even if there is no more any firefox instance running ! Weird?

Hey totolanio

What video hardware do you have - and what driver has loaded?

System -> System -> PupSys-Info then Devices -> Display -> Summary

On my desktop which has nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] the nouveau driver exhibits similar symptoms to those you describe but if I use xorgwizard to change to the built-in modesetting driver then this works much better and installing and loading the proprietary nvidia driver for my hardware (304.123) works better still.

You could try switching to a different driver on your system....

Cheers
peebee

totolanio

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan 2015, 10:47    Post subject:  

Code:
Display:
 OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
 OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NV4B
 OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3
 Screen Resolution: 1280x1024 pixels (338x270 millimeters)
 Screen Depth: 24 bits (planes)
 X.Org version: 1.15.1

Video Chip:
 0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G73 [GeForce 7600 GS] (rev a1)
 oem: NVIDIA
 vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
 product: G73 Board - p345h0 Chip Rev

Ok this nouveau driver is really not liking nvidia old cards !
So I can use the other driver or better, try to use the nvidia driver ? thank you, i didn't think it was because of the nouveau driver !
Uten

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan 2015, 14:32    Post subject: No space left on device ? pup_rw gets filled up.
Subject description: Running with the new "save to folder" option.

Hi,
Wonder if anyone else experience this.
After working for a day or two on my tahrpup 6.0 CE (with service pack) I get into trouble as pup_rw seems to run out of space. I have not investigated properly, but to me it seems like free space in my home folder ain't reclaimed when puppy save it to the physical device? The physical device has some 6GB left on it so it should not be "out of space"

What I do is to to unpack, compile and instal packages to a target folder. Then delete the source folder and start over with the next package. It is all done by a set of scripts I used on precise 5.7.1 to build myself a math.sfs containing octave. maxima, R and all needed libraries and tools.

Ahmm, just got a short warning msg claiming that a reboot is needed to reclaim memory?

I'l give it a go from ram only (which is annoying on this particular machine as the nouveau driver will crash it: nvidia 7025 / 630a integrated chip-set Crying or Very sad ).

Anyone else experiencing trouble when running with the "save to folder" option?

Best regards, and a happy new year to all.
Uten
ddpicard

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan 2015, 17:56    Post subject:  

I have been trying to get my webcam to function but I am not having any success. I was wondering if any one has been able to get their webcam and skype working on tahrpup 6.0.1. I have done all updates through quickpet and I am not sure what else to try. No matter what program I try to use the webcam with I get unable to find device. I am using a toshiba laptop with built-in webcam.

Thanks,
Dave
totolanio

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan 2015, 18:02    Post subject:  

I just used skype from quickpet and it doesn't show the correct hour, it says the hour on my computer + 7hours Very Happy
How can I solve this please ?
watchdog

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan 2015, 00:47    Post subject:  

totolanio wrote:
I just used skype from quickpet and it doesn't show the correct hour, it says the hour on my computer + 7hours Very Happy

Have you set your language localization in skype general options?
bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan 2015, 00:47    Post subject:  

Uten,

What is Tahrpup installed on?

totolanio

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan 2015, 11:24    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
totolanio wrote:

Have you set your language localization in skype general options?

Yes I chose it but still shows a stupid hour !!
My computer hour is well set though !

Please someone help me Razz
Uten

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan 2015, 13:30    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Uten,

What is Tahrpup installed on?

On a 16GB usbdisk (it is the only disk available on this setup).

I have also tried on another machine now where tahrpup is installed on hda3 and my build scripts worked against /mnt/sda3/sfs-build rather than /root/sfs-build. Got the same disappointing result thought Crying or Very sad

Just to verify that it is not my build scripts I'm currently doing a build on the last machine with precise-5.7.1 and so fare it looks good. pup_rw shows 0% usage where it on tahrpup would show 100% usage (with df -h ) at the same stage.

Any ideas?
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan 2015, 21:14    Post subject: Drag & Drop copies overwriting existing file w/o question  

Hi 666philb & All,

First, if I haven't already thanked you for Tahrpup 6.0, I guess it's too late Laughing . Tahrpup is the default OS on my desktop – first on Grub4dos' Menu so I only have to think if I want something else. That also means that it gets used the most often. Currently, I'm exploring an idea which requires a lot of editing of files and copying them to and from a USB-Key for testing on my Laptop. [One of these days I'll have to figure out how to network. Embarassed] Which may also explain why the condition came to my attention in Tahrpup. I haven't noticed or checked if it exists under other Puppies.

If it matters, my Tahrpup uses Kernel Release: 3.14.13. I haven't made any structural changes other than installing vicmz' Openbox for Tahrpup, which window manager is my default. Rox remains my only file manager.

What I've noticed is that when I copy or move --drag and drop using rox-- a file to another location which already has a file with that name, I'm not asked if I want to overwrite the file already there. It just automatically overwrites the older file.

Overwriting is almost always what I want. But there being thousands of files on various drives I would prefer to be warned, just in case I've chosen a name whose prior use I had forgotten, and the older file contained some information or served some purpose other than the newer file.

mikesLr
Page 31 of 117 [1748 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, ..., 115, 116, 117 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: