tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Pelo

abiword GTK-3.0.0 in tahrpup

#451 Post by Pelo »

Colorized outlines
Perhaps this version has other improvements.
Attachments
contours.jpg
(35.58 KiB) Downloaded 1411 times

666philb

#452 Post by 666philb »

mavrothal wrote:
666philb wrote:oooops not sure how that happened.

these logs are definately from a fresh standard tahrpup ... the computer has a single monitor (although it does have a second port)
Hmm. the same 2 issues appear though (UMS and inet6).

So this is a fresh install where the autoXconf picks ATI radeon 3000 and works fine and then you exit to prompt, run xorgwizard and reboot?, or run xorgwizard check that is fine and goes to desktop (or not) and then reboot?
If the second can we have messages and the new Xorg.log after xorgwizard success (or failure) but before reboot? Also check if /tmp/xerrs.log has anything interesting in this case.
the good log is before touching xorgwizard (i rebooted to create a save first) the bad log after

UMS user-space mode switching seems to be the problem. the kernels are compiled without this option as it's depreciated on both radeon and intel,
nouveau doesn't have the option at all.

Code: Select all

CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_UMS:

Choose this option if you still need userspace modesetting.

Userspace modesetting is deprecated for quite some time now, so
enable this only if you have ancient versions of the DDX drivers.

Symbol: DRM_RADEON_UMS [=n]
Type  : boolean
Prompt: Enable userspace modesetting on radeon (DEPRECATED)
      -> Graphics support
        -> ATI Radeon (DRM_RADEON [=m])
  Defined at drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/Kconfig:1
  Depends on: HAS_IOMEM [=y] && DRM_RADEON [=m]
when you boot tahrpup you can see that the graphics mode gets set after loading kernel modules, none of the options in xorgwizard have any (positive) affect. selecting unaccelerated doesn't do anything as glxgears still runs.
It would seem that changes now need to be done by editing xorg.conf and possibly boot parameters... not xorgwizard. xorgwizard works still and is useful if x hasn't been started .... like in a VM, but once it has... it seems defunct.

intel is the best behaved as i couldn't get the blackscreen of death, but still ... the unaccelerated option doesn't work, and just pressing cancel spits you back to desktop with no mouse or keyboard until reboot.

i managed to get a small xerrs.log from when the blackscreen lockup happens
Attachments
xerrs.log.gz
(1018 Bytes) Downloaded 313 times
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

mavrothal

#453 Post by mavrothal »

666philb wrote:UMS user-space mode switching seems to be the problem. the kernels are compiled without this option as it's depreciated on both radeon and intel, nouveau doesn't have the option at all.
You may want to see how the ubuntus and the fedoras configure their generic kernels regarding KMS/UMS etc.
X is becoming increasingly sophisticated and if the auto-mode fails there is little the xorgwizard can do about it. Maybe a case by case hack-ins but hard to see general solutions. Good kernel and X appears to be the way to go here.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

666philb

#454 Post by 666philb »

i had a linux mint DOTconfig handy and they have user-space mode setting for radeon but not intel, also a lot of extra frame buffer modules.

i did a test kernel with USM turned on and extra frame buffer stuff but it made no difference for xorgwizard.

from my experience with tahrpup and other peoples posts, it generally sets up the display very well on a range of different equipment. the only problem being via chipsets.

it's only when people delve into xorgwizard that problems occur. maybe we should have a warning when it's called from the menu. and sort the cancel option out
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

totolanio

#455 Post by totolanio »

Hey !
I use LXpup actually (which is based on this version !)
ANd I installed mozilla through Quickpet (awesome quickpet ! never give it up !), then I tried to install the lastest Flash version available in quickpet (and also the previous one, 11.xx.xx bis) and when I launch a video it completely freezes the session and I must restart the computer with a reset.
I tried several times.

Also, either in palemoon or mozilla, if I make a new profile located in the USB stick which also contains my savefile but outside the savefile in /sdb1/Mozilla for example, Mozilla freezes and you have to kill the process/daemon and then you can never start this profile again because it says it's in use, even if there is no more any firefox instance running ! Weird?

peebee

#456 Post by peebee »

totolanio wrote:Hey !
ANd I installed mozilla through Quickpet (awesome quickpet ! never give it up !), then I tried to install the lastest Flash version available in quickpet (and also the previous one, 11.xx.xx bis) and when I launch a video it completely freezes the session and I must restart the computer with a reset.
I tried several times.

Also, either in palemoon or mozilla, if I make a new profile located in the USB stick which also contains my savefile but outside the savefile in /sdb1/Mozilla for example, Mozilla freezes and you have to kill the process/daemon and then you can never start this profile again because it says it's in use, even if there is no more any firefox instance running ! Weird?
Hey totolanio

What video hardware do you have - and what driver has loaded?

System -> System -> PupSys-Info then Devices -> Display -> Summary

On my desktop which has nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] the nouveau driver exhibits similar symptoms to those you describe but if I use xorgwizard to change to the built-in modesetting driver then this works much better and installing and loading the proprietary nvidia driver for my hardware (304.123) works better still.

You could try switching to a different driver on your system....

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

totolanio

#457 Post by totolanio »

Display:
 OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
 OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NV4B
 OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3
 Screen Resolution: 1280x1024 pixels (338x270 millimeters)
 Screen Depth: 24 bits (planes)
 X.Org version: 1.15.1

Video Chip:
 0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G73 [GeForce 7600 GS] (rev a1) 
 oem: NVIDIA
 vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
 product: G73 Board - p345h0 Chip Rev
Ok this nouveau driver is really not liking nvidia old cards !
So I can use the other driver or better, try to use the nvidia driver ? thank you, i didn't think it was because of the nouveau driver !

Uten

No space left on device ? pup_rw gets filled up.

#458 Post by Uten »

Hi,
Wonder if anyone else experience this.
After working for a day or two on my tahrpup 6.0 CE (with service pack) I get into trouble as pup_rw seems to run out of space. I have not investigated properly, but to me it seems like free space in my home folder ain't reclaimed when puppy save it to the physical device? The physical device has some 6GB left on it so it should not be "out of space"

What I do is to to unpack, compile and instal packages to a target folder. Then delete the source folder and start over with the next package. It is all done by a set of scripts I used on precise 5.7.1 to build myself a math.sfs containing octave. maxima, R and all needed libraries and tools.

Ahmm, just got a short warning msg claiming that a reboot is needed to reclaim memory?

I'l give it a go from ram only (which is annoying on this particular machine as the nouveau driver will crash it: nvidia 7025 / 630a integrated chip-set :cry: ).

Anyone else experiencing trouble when running with the "save to folder" option?

Best regards, and a happy new year to all.
Uten

ddpicard

#459 Post by ddpicard »

I have been trying to get my webcam to function but I am not having any success. I was wondering if any one has been able to get their webcam and skype working on tahrpup 6.0.1. I have done all updates through quickpet and I am not sure what else to try. No matter what program I try to use the webcam with I get unable to find device. I am using a toshiba laptop with built-in webcam.

Thanks,
Dave

totolanio

#460 Post by totolanio »

I just used skype from quickpet and it doesn't show the correct hour, it says the hour on my computer + 7hours :D
How can I solve this please ?

watchdog

#461 Post by watchdog »

totolanio wrote:I just used skype from quickpet and it doesn't show the correct hour, it says the hour on my computer + 7hours :D
Have you set your language localization in skype general options?

bigpup

#462 Post by bigpup »

Uten,

What is Tahrpup installed on?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

totolanio

#463 Post by totolanio »

watchdog wrote:
totolanio wrote:I just used skype from quickpet and it doesn't show the correct hour, it says the hour on my computer + 7hours :D
Have you set your language localization in skype general options?
Yes I chose it but still shows a stupid hour !!
My computer hour is well set though !

Please someone help me :P

Uten

#464 Post by Uten »

bigpup wrote:Uten,

What is Tahrpup installed on?
On a 16GB usbdisk (it is the only disk available on this setup).

I have also tried on another machine now where tahrpup is installed on hda3 and my build scripts worked against /mnt/sda3/sfs-build rather than /root/sfs-build. Got the same disappointing result thought :cry:

Just to verify that it is not my build scripts I'm currently doing a build on the last machine with precise-5.7.1 and so fare it looks good. pup_rw shows 0% usage where it on tahrpup would show 100% usage (with df -h ) at the same stage.

Any ideas?

mikeslr

Drag & Drop copies overwriting existing file w/o question

#465 Post by mikeslr »

Hi 666philb & All,

First, if I haven't already thanked you for Tahrpup 6.0, I guess it's too late :lol: . Tahrpup is the default OS on my desktop – first on Grub4dos' Menu so I only have to think if I want something else. That also means that it gets used the most often. Currently, I'm exploring an idea which requires a lot of editing of files and copying them to and from a USB-Key for testing on my Laptop. [One of these days I'll have to figure out how to network. :oops:] Which may also explain why the condition came to my attention in Tahrpup. I haven't noticed or checked if it exists under other Puppies.

If it matters, my Tahrpup uses Kernel Release: 3.14.13. I haven't made any structural changes other than installing vicmz' Openbox for Tahrpup, which window manager is my default. Rox remains my only file manager.

What I've noticed is that when I copy or move --drag and drop using rox-- a file to another location which already has a file with that name, I'm not asked if I want to overwrite the file already there. It just automatically overwrites the older file.

Overwriting is almost always what I want. But there being thousands of files on various drives I would prefer to be warned, just in case I've chosen a name whose prior use I had forgotten, and the older file contained some information or served some purpose other than the newer file.

mikesLr

smokey01

#466 Post by smokey01 »

I've discovered a weird problem in tahrpup-6.0-CE-noPAE.
When I have a single directory in a partition containing tahrpup I have no issues.
When I have a second directory containing tahrpup on the same partition the weirdness begins.
For example:
The main installation is at /mnt/sdc1/tahr6
The second installation is at /mnt/sdc1/fattahr
The savefile in main is: /mnt/sdc1/tahr6/tahrsave.4fs
The savefiles in the second are: /mnt/sdc1/fattahr/tahrsave-one.4fs and /mnt/sdc1/fattahr/tahrsave-two.4fs

When I select from the first stanza below I am given a choice to load either:
0 - no savefile
1 - tahrsave-one.4fs
2 - tahrsave-two.4fs
This of course normal behavior if more than one savefiles are found. My problem is it shouldn't even be
looking in the /mnt/sdc1/fattahr directory because the stanza is pointing at /mnt/sdc1/tahr6

This is a copy of my menu.lst:
#----------------------------------------------
timeout 10
default 0
color light-gray/blue black/light-gray
gfxmenu /boot/grub/message
#
title Tahrpup 6.0 on sdc1
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /tahr6/vmlinuz pfix=fsck pmedia=atahd pdev1=sdc1
initrd /tahr6/initrd.gz
#
title Fat-Tahrpup 6.0 on sdc1
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /fattahr/vmlinuz pfix=fsck pmedia=atahd pdev1=sdc1
initrd /fattahr/initrd.gz
#------------------------------------------------

It appears to be searching through the directories in alphabetical order and loads or offers to load the
first savefiles it finds. This is even stranger when you consider the savefiles have different names and
are in different directories.
Why would a savefile from /fattahr be loaded instead of the one from /tahr6 as defined in the first entry above.

Maybe I could fix this issue with CatDude's initrd hack. Catdude has added the psave parameter
so the savefile can be defined on the kernel line eg:
kernel /fattahr/vmlinuz pfix=fsck pmedia=atahd pdev1=sdc1 psave=one

When booting live, and at first shutdown, you have the option to save to a savefile or directory.
If you name it "one", when prompted to the savefile filename, the resulting name will be: tahrsave-one.4fs
or tahrsave-one, if a directory I assume.

The advantage of this hack provides functionality to have several savefile in the same directory
which can be loaded without intervention by simply defining them on the kernel line as above.
All you have to do is create a different stanza for each savefile.
This is a really nice feature Fatdog has.

Another benefit of Catdude's initrd hack when using it with his legacy GRUB, you can type psave=savefilename.4fs at the GRUB menu to load a different savefile.

Any ideas why it is loading the wrong savefile?

666philb

#467 Post by 666philb »

hi smokey01,

i have 3 tahrpup folders with saves and don't get this.
you possibly need to add psubdir to the kernel line in the menu.1st,
here's an example of mine

title Puppy tahr 5.8.3 (sda2/tahr3)
  uuid 6160919b-7657-4979-9137-22782422ce9f
  kernel /tahr3/vmlinuz   psubdir=tahr3 pmedia=atahd pfix=copy
  initrd /tahr3/initrd.gz

Uten

#468 Post by Uten »

smokey01 wrote:Any ideas why it is loading the wrong savefile?
I'm pretty sure this is documented, and expected behavior.

My guess is: that is how Barry wanted it to differentiate between testing, development and personal stuff. If I recall right, changing menu entries when using lilo or some of the other boot loaders at the time was not as straight forward as changing the menu entries in a file.

I normally throw in psubdir as 666philb pointed out.

Merging some of the nice and really handy features found in puppy derivatives should be on some kind of todo list for feature releases. People itching enough to do the job probably have their own todo list with favorite features. So I guess the rest of us just have to wait patiently until it is implemented :D

totolanio

#469 Post by totolanio »

totolanio wrote:Hey !
I tried several times.
On my desktop which has nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] the nouveau driver exhibits similar symptoms to those you describe but if I use xorgwizard to change to the built-in modesetting driver then this works much better and installing and loading the proprietary nvidia driver for my hardware (304.123) works better still.
Didnt try yet the nvidia driver but the modesetting one is not working neither. On youtube videos with mozilla + lastest flashplayer.
Nobody tried it ? It should work normally, right?

PS : if someone knows how to solve the wrong hour setting in skype, tell me plz :)

smokey01

#470 Post by smokey01 »

I previously removed the psubdir=tahr6 parameter because it was booting tahrpup from a different drive with the same directory name. By including pdev1=sdc1 before the psubdir=tahr6 seems to have fixed the problem.
#----------------------------------------
title Tahrpup 6.0 on sdc1
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /tahr6/vmlinuz pfix=fsck pmedia=atahd pdev1=sdc1 psubdir=tahr6
initrd /tahr6/initrd.gz
#------------------------------------------------------
Catdude's hacked initrd works nicely too.

Thanks for the psubdir reminder.