Fatdog64-700 beta2 [Closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Wognath

Sandbox question

#31 Post by Wognath »

Hello,
Sandbox is really cool--hadn't looked at it much before. Now I'd like to write a script to fire up libreoffice in a sandbox. Is there a way to pass an argument so libreoffice is automatically executed in the sandbox after it starts?
Thanks

Edit: modified line 222 of rw-sandbox.sh as follows:

Code: Select all

chroot $FAKEROOT $2
I'm not that comfortable messing with James's scripts! :? but
# rw-sandbox.sh /path/libreoffice libreoffice
now seems to work.

TJK

#32 Post by TJK »

Fatdog64 700b2 is working again for me! FD seems to be well on its way to being the best puppylinux based distro (IMO)

Just a questions though... Slap-get is installed by default, but I couldn't get it to work. I tried reinstalling it with Package Manager, but I'm still getting "command not found". Any suggestions on how to get it to work?

BTW, I still had to use Unetbootin to finalize my FD install. Has anyone else been able to use FatDog64 Installer with an external usb3 partitioned SSD (using the bios select to boot)? If so, which "bootloader option" do you use?

Ted Dog

#33 Post by Ted Dog »

My wifi on my Acer one 725-0687 oddly does not work. NEVER had that problem on past FD64s. However liking the clean and quick xwindows. It almost equals the blob drivers in the video cards tested. Very wowed on my minimac and support for hfs+ builtin. can I place the boot files and point grub to them within hfs+?

kirk

#34 Post by kirk »

Just a questions though... Slap-get is installed by default, but I couldn't get it to work. I tried reinstalling it with Package Manager, but I'm still getting "command not found". Any suggestions on how to get it to work?
We intend people to use Gslapt for the package manager. I haven't tried slap-get.
My wifi on my Acer one 725-0687 oddly does not work.
Is this a video problem? With beta1 there was a report of video problems with an Aspire one. That one had an odd ball Intel graphics chip that's not supported by the xf86-video-intel driver.
can I place the boot files and point grub to them within hfs+?
Last I read hfs+ support was not good in Linux. I wouldn't do it.

Ted Dog

#35 Post by Ted Dog »

my Acer wifi worked this morning, then a kernel panic.. not sure if related. (did swap memory with MacMini so reset card after panic) still testing. Maybe a delay in scan, I pressed it twice THEN it found my wifi )
This machine Acer is AMD-C70 with builtin video. Never can get it to playback nicely unless runnning win8. But the MacMini with NVedia running great. (CPU at 60%) without NV blob just fresh FD7b2, nice, also can max out at 32G RAM and compatible with RAM from ACER laptop.
Found a bluray drive for MacMini.... :wink: you know where I am heading, found out how to boot DIRECTLY into GRUB ... Ha Ha, OSX may never see life again. :lol:

EDIT: early morning after time change.. sorry for typos :oops:

double EDIT: yes HFS+ is iffy and comes up read only, ( ok by me ) I was going to have OSX copy sfs to a folder for me. And use the tiny 200M EFI part to hold grub.cfg and multisessions. freeing up flash and DVD from the boot process.

smokey01

#36 Post by smokey01 »

Kirk, wbar was compiled in fd700b2.

I have seen this problem in other versions of puppy, can't remember which ones but using the propriety driver usually fixed the problem. It was nice not to see this problem in 630, 700a1 and 700b1. It's a shame it's returned in 700b2.

Regards

Ted Dog

#37 Post by Ted Dog »

appears the crash is related to reopening a closed laptop lid. suspend resume issue?

Ted Dog

#38 Post by Ted Dog »

found some video files apple quicktime could play. Testing against fatdog647b2 lol you are better than Apple playback on their hardware/software. They have wierd white bloches on light to dark changes where FD plays it perfectly. :D :D

EDIT ops sound via HDMI doesn't work on this version. OK for now. The headphone jack works fine.
Last edited by Ted Dog on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

JustGreg

#39 Post by JustGreg »

I have added to packages for network monitoring to the contrib section for fatdog64 version 700. Both have similar features.

The first one is "Fing". The web page is here: http://www.overlooksoft.com/fing This is a terminal application for Linux. It has ability to do scheduled monitoring and logging.

The second one is "ipscan" Its web page is here: http://angryip.org
This is a java application and requires the java run time environment, which is in the devx sfs. It does have a nice GUI.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by JustGreg on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

neerajkolte

#40 Post by neerajkolte »

Thanks Greg,
I will try them out.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

smokey01

#41 Post by smokey01 »

I've just noticed links in Notecase no longer work in fd700b2.

It doesn't seem to recognise defaultbrowser. I think that's what Notecase is calling.

Illutorium

#42 Post by Illutorium »

Opus (VP9 WebM Standard) doesn't be found on VLC 2.1.5:
writes at a "undf"

UPDATE (29/11/14):

In GIT Version from a long ago: Doesn't haves a be problem... (Opus codec works around...)
Well I will be recommend a GIT Version instead...
Last edited by Illutorium on Sat 29 Nov 2014, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

JustGreg

#43 Post by JustGreg »

I am a long time user (since 1996) of Quicken for my checking account. I normally use it with Wine. I would like to change to a Linux application.

I have tried several, but, did not like them. I did find Money Manager EX version 1.1.0, but, I have not been able to get it to run under fatdog64. I get a missing library error. The missing library is libwx_gtk2u_unofficial_aui-3.0.so.0 Additionally, is there a way to check on the dependencies of an application before running it? Thanks for any help on this,

If I like it and get it to run, then I will make a package for other people's use.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

kirk

#44 Post by kirk »

The missing library is libwx_gtk2u_unofficial_aui-3.0.so.0 Additionally, is there a way to check on the dependencies of an application before running it?
Try installing wxwidgets from the repo, To find the libraries that a binary is linked to, open a terminal and type ldd followed by the name of the binary.
EDIT ops sound via HDMI doesn't work on this version. OK for now. The headphone jack works fine.
Try "Fatdog64 set default sound card" from the control panel. For just VLC click Audio and then select the device

JustGreg

#45 Post by JustGreg »

Thanks, Kirk for the information.

Follow up: The latest version of Money Manager Ex that is compatible with the libraries is 0.9.9.9 version. The later versions of mmex require a newer vesion (3.0) of the widgets library and a lot of symlinks for names. It is on with the 0.9.9.0 version.
Last edited by JustGreg on Thu 06 Nov 2014, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

L18L

Internationalization of Fatdog64-700b2

#46 Post by L18L »

Just to let everyone know:
Internationalization of Fatdog has continued

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1&start=48

now using
Fatdog64-700b2 and
fd64-nls_700b2.sfs
Attachments
web_server_for_doc.png
(32.76 KiB) Downloaded 922 times

irishrm

#47 Post by irishrm »

Did a USB install.

I still struggle with wpa_gui in fact its disabled in this install.

Apart from that everything is working well. If this is the future of fatdog then the future is looking very bright.

However there is a cost for progress:

This is the first fatdog I failed to install on my ntfs formatted harddrive.
Installing to harddrive is that bit faster.
I know I could reformat part of the harddrive but I'll stick with the USB install.

There is a little pet which I use in all my puppies called "no blank screen". This is used to turn off the screensaver.
With fatdog700 I have to go into settings each time I want to turn off the screensaver, just a little bit more hassle.

Thanks guys.
irishrm.

kirk

#48 Post by kirk »

There is a little pet which I use in all my puppies called "no blank screen". This is used to turn off the screensaver.
I'm not sure why that doesn't work sometimes. Download the attached file and put it in /root/Startup. Make sure you click on it to unzip it. When you boot any scripts in /root/Startup are ran.
Attachments
Screen-saver-off.gz
(73 Bytes) Downloaded 375 times

JustGreg

#49 Post by JustGreg »

Money Manager Ex seems to work well and has a user interface similar to Quicken. One can import the Quicken data into it, but, there is an "oh by the way". The reconciled data is not imported. One has to do a manual setup using the last reconcile report for the account and start a new.

Money Manager Ex does require wxwidgers package. What is the best way to ensure the dependencies are addressed when installing the package? Just add them directly to the package or is way to tell the installer also get wxwidgets package?

Thanks in advance for any information. Yes, the sandbox is great fun for trying out different ideas.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

irishrm

#50 Post by irishrm »

kirk:

Thanks for the screensaver off script.

Put it in root/startup, works fine.

I presume if I want to enable the screensaver for a session I can do so in the settings.

Thanks again.
irishrm.