Fatdog64-700 beta2 [Closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kirk

#421 Post by kirk »

All I know for sure so far is that Netflix does not work automatically with FatDog.
Like Ted said you'll want to install Google-Chrome, it's in the Gslapt package manager. Install Google-Chrome and then install the netflix app. The next release will have google-chrome in the menu, if it's not installed you'll be prompted to download and install the latest google-chrome. Same with firefox.
Linux 3.19 released

New in this release is improved support for Intel and AMD graphics, plus support for LZ4 compression in the SquasFS which should make for better Linux performance on Live CDs.
We'll be going with 3.18.x unless we hit some big delay or there's something we can't live without in 3.19. I did enable lzo for squashfs and James enabled lzo in squashfs tools. But I think that option will benefit few.

neerajkolte

#422 Post by neerajkolte »

@Jamesbond When I try to switch off "power saving mode" I get

Code: Select all

# iwconfig wlan0 power off
Error for wireless request "Set Power Management" (8B2C) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.
# 
# iwconfig 
eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"Neeraj Kolte"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:1E:A6:3B:C0:30   
          Bit Rate=72.2 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=60/70  Signal level=-50 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:38   Missed beacon:0

lo        no wireless extensions.

#
Any suggestions?
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

neerajkolte

#423 Post by neerajkolte »

I tested it in win7 works ok even after 1hr did not disconnect.

But when tried in tahrpup, got same result as in Fatdog.

Thanks.

- Neeraj.
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

rcrsn51

#424 Post by rcrsn51 »

@neerajkolte: Try stay-connected.

Is this device using the rtl8192cu driver? Check with lsmod.

neerajkolte

#425 Post by neerajkolte »

# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ctr                     3503  1 
ccm                     7214  1 
snd_pcm_oss            36990  0 
snd_mixer_oss          13771  1 snd_pcm_oss
rfcomm                 31366  0 
bnep                   10050  2 
bluetooth             270957  10 bnep,rfcomm
ipv6                  290810  46 
rtl8192cu              61551  0 
rtl_usb                 9808  1 rtl8192cu
rtlwifi                47239  2 rtl_usb,rtl8192cu
rtl8192c_common        36518  1 rtl8192cu
mac80211              286889  3 rtl_usb,rtlwifi,rtl8192cu
cfg80211              206077  2 mac80211,rtlwifi
rfkill                  9793  5 cfg80211,bluetooth
coretemp                5804  0 
hwmon                   2802  1 coretemp
intel_rapl              8632  0 
x86_pkg_temp_thermal     4583  0 
intel_powerclamp        8514  0 
kvm_intel             127529  0 
kvm                   276378  1 kvm_intel
crct10dif_pclmul        4386  0 
crc32_pclmul            2659  0 
crc32c_intel           12737  0 
snd_hda_codec_realtek    53509  1 
snd_hda_codec_generic    49638  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
ghash_clmulni_intel     3938  0 
cryptd                  7441  1 ghash_clmulni_intel
pcspkr                  1859  0 
psmouse                84630  0 
i2c_i801                9342  0 
i915                  801664  2 
snd_hda_intel          19971  1 
r8169                  56543  0 
lpc_ich                13584  0 
snd_hda_controller     17147  1 snd_hda_intel
mii                     3827  1 r8169
snd_hda_codec          81614  4 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
snd_pcm                77531  4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
i2c_algo_bit            5095  1 i915
snd_timer              17655  1 snd_pcm
drm_kms_helper         67294  1 i915
snd                    55580  10 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_pcm_oss,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_mixer_oss
soundcore               5034  2 snd,snd_hda_codec
drm                   232420  4 i915,drm_kms_helper
fan                     2425  0 
battery                12634  0 
parport_pc             23117  0 
parport                28949  1 parport_pc
#
I will try that script. Theoretically it should work.
But is this a bug in the driver?

Edit: I placed that script in my startup folder. I will report back an hour later.

Edit: Seems to be working fine, Thanks @rcrsn51.

Thanks.

- Neeraj.
Last edited by neerajkolte on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

rcrsn51

#426 Post by rcrsn51 »

neerajkolte wrote: will try that script. Theoretically it should work.
Does Fatdog still use /root/Startup?
But is this a bug in the driver?
The open-source version of rtl8192cu is known to be buggy. See the discussion here. The vendor version is better, but it will not compile in recent kernels.

neerajkolte

#427 Post by neerajkolte »

rcrsn51 wrote:Does Fatdog still use /root/Startup?
Yes it does.
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

Wognath

devsave vs. devbase

#428 Post by Wognath »

Hello,
This is a low-priority question! I recently experimented with small initrd, and the /aufs/devbase directory appeared. /mnt/home takes me to /aufs/devsave, but clicking on the drive icon for my home partition now takes me to /aufs/devbase. They seem to be the same; that is,anything I save to one appears in both. Could someone please explain? Thanks.

jamesbond

Re: devsave vs. devbase

#429 Post by jamesbond »

Wognath wrote:Hello,
This is a low-priority question! I recently experimented with small initrd, and the /aufs/devbase directory appeared. /mnt/home takes me to /aufs/devsave, but clicking on the drive icon for my home partition now takes me to /aufs/devbase. They seem to be the same; that is,anything I save to one appears in both. Could someone please explain? Thanks.
/aufs/devbase is the "device where the basesfs is located".
/aufs/devsave is the "device where the savefile/savedir is located".

If you run with huge initrd, there isn't no devbase (because the basesfs is inside initrd). If you run with small initrd, yes there will be a base, where your fd64.sfs is located.

If you're running small initrd and your basesfs and your savefile/savedir is located in the same device (partition, really), then both they will point to the same device (they are bind-mounted). You can have your basesfs and savefile/savedir located on different partitions (I have a system that runs like this).

/mnt/home is a symlink to /aufs/devsave, if it exists. If you're doing the first boot there is no savefile and there will be no /mnt/home. If you're running multi-session, /mnt/home will be symlinked to pup_multi (the "equivalent" of a savefile in multisession mode).

Hope that clears ... probably not :D Ask away, anyway :D
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

stemsee

#430 Post by stemsee »

I use this code in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file to separate dev_save (svavefile partition) and dev_ro2 (boot partition). So I have /mnt/Home and /mnt/home, all combinations catered for. Can be adapted for Fatdog if you want. It works reliably. and auto-mounts all partitions.

path=mnt
probepart -m  | grep --invert-match 'none' | cut -f1 -d '|' | cut -f3 -d '/' | grep --invert-match 'sr0' > /tmp/rclc
durr=`mount | grep dev_ro2 | cut -f1 -d ' ' | cut -f3 -d '/'`
dorr=`mount | grep dev_save | cut -f1 -d ' ' | cut -f3 -d '/'`
while read line 
do
mkdir -p /$path/$line
mount /dev/$line /$path/$line
if [[ ! -z "$durr" ]]; then
umount /$path/$durr 2> /dev/null
rm -r /$path/$durr 2> /dev/null
fi
if [[ ! -z "$dorr" ]]; then
umount /$path/$dorr 2> /dev/null
rm -r /$path/$dorr 2> /dev/null
fi
done < /tmp/rclc

ln -fnsv /initrd/mnt/dev_ro2 /mnt/Home
ln -fnsv /initrd/mnt/dev_save /mnt/home

rcrsn51

#431 Post by rcrsn51 »

neerajkolte wrote:Edit: I placed that script in my startup folder. I will report back an hour later.

Edit: Seems to be working fine,
That's good news. the problems with rtl8192cu in the other thread must be unrelated to your version.

step

#432 Post by step »

I can't connect to my wifi router, which uses a hidden SSID, using the wifi applet. Mind that other puppies and Windows can connect to this wifi router, so I'm assuming that the router is configured correctly. When I scan networks from the applet I can see the AP displayed with a <nul><nul>... name - and this is the way other puppies show the hidden SSID too. Then I define a new network and specify the actual SSID (because I know what it is) and connection credentials. Then I try to connect to the new network but the wifi applet doesn't connect at all. The log viewer shows periodic network scans, that's all.
Has anyone else run in this kind of situation?
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

SFR

#433 Post by SFR »

ROX-Filer

If a folder contains too many items, one can not scroll down to the very end.

How to reproduce:

mkdir TESTDIR; cd TESTDIR && for i in {1..10000}; do touch $i; done
Now open TESTDIR dir in ROX-Filer, make sure you have set the default view (Icons View, Large Icons) and scroll down to the bottom.
In my case the scrolling stops at ~7584th item, but it may vary (in VBox it was ~4257th).

I'm sure I've seen a post by BK about this problem a couple of years earlier, but can't find it neither on this forum nor his blog...
IIRC it wasn't necessarily strictly related to ROX; perhaps also/only a GTK issue (again: IIRC), but don't remember if there's been a patch or sth.

Checked in Slacko-5.7 - it's ok there, so I believe there must be a cure for this...

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

stemsee

#434 Post by stemsee »

ditto SFR

I experience that in dpup wheezy.

jamesbond

#435 Post by jamesbond »

@step, I never run with hidden SSID. I'll give it a try.

@SFR, @stemsee, it is a known problem. 1984 says hello to you. The problem you face is neither GTK nor ROX-Filer limitation, it's Xorg limitation (to be precise, the X Windows Protocol limitation) - as designed in 1984.

The differences you get while testing reflect this. Please do your test again, this time making sure that the number of icons in the rox window stays the same (e.g test with 10 icons in a row). I'm sure you will hit the limit at about the same rows - no matter where you run it. If you then widen the window (say, containing about 20 icons), you can go down twice as far. (My own test: 6 icons = about 2800 icons shown, with 12 icons = about 5600 before it freezes).

Is there a fix? Sure, just edit /usr/bin/rox and comment out the silly "export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1" and restart Xorg. You'll hit 10,000 icons easily. As a bonus, your ROX-Filer should work faster. As a downside, there may be other bugs ... if you google "ROX-Filer GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS" you will find a lot of links pointing back to to Barry and others, right here in this forum :wink: So enable it at your own risk :oops:

Anyway, now that you mention it, I will test this myself and see removing GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS outweights the potential problem it may cause. We'll see.

Thanks for reporting.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

SFR

#436 Post by SFR »

jamesbond wrote:export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1
Yeah, this was it, I remember now!
Slacko-5.7 doesn't have this option at all in /usr/local/bin/rox and I don't recall any other problems with ROX there.
Anyway, I'll be also using ROX-Filer without this from now on in FD and we'll see...

Thanks &
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

fatdog

#437 Post by fatdog »

SFR wrote:Slacko-5.7 doesn't have this option at all in /usr/local/bin/rox and I don't recall any other problems with ROX there.
Anyway, I'll be also using ROX-Filer without this from now on in FD and we'll see...
Ah, now that you confirms it, and people have been using Slacko 5.7 for donkey years now, it should be okay. Anyway, it's too late for "rc", it will go for final.

"rc" thread: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97713
-= The Fatdog Team (kirk, jamesbond, SFR and step) =-
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794748#794748]Contributed Fatdog64 packages thread[/url]
This account is used for announcements only. Send PM directly to members' handle.

DrDeaf

#438 Post by DrDeaf »

Ted Dog wrote:@drdeaf my no install boot metbod works on a large sdcard 32G fat-of-sometype and doesn't require any reformating of factory usb or sdcards.
Thanks Ted Dog. The 32GB SD cards and smaller use FAT32 generally and that is not a problem. Microsoft lined up all the camera mfg. to use MS proprietary exFAT on 64GB and larger when used in cameras. I was unable to make exFAT work for FD630.
(note that it works great so far with FD700rc)

Like you, I boot from a (locked) 32GB SD card and am very happy with that!
Cheers!

DrDeaf

#439 Post by DrDeaf »

8Geee wrote:exFAT is propietary and patented by Microsoft. Many hoops to jump through.
IIRC FUSE can help with this.
Thanks 8Geee. I was unable to make FUSE work (for me anyway) with FD630. However, I am happy to report that with the exFAT tool installed from the repo, FD700rc appears to work great!
Cheers!

Semme

#440 Post by Semme »

Pardon me gentlemen but, is there any reason TeamViewer 10 doesn't work out of the box?

Having tried both squash pkgs, the error states: "InitProfile failed"

The logfile:

/opt/teamviewer/tv_bin/script/tvw_exec: line 32: /opt/teamviewer/tv_bin/wine/bin/wineserver: No such file or directory
/opt/teamviewer/tv_bin/script/tvw_profile: line 124: /opt/teamviewer/tv_bin/wine/bin/wine: No such file or directory
As the referenced files exist in the locations stated, where's the holdup?

And no, haven't been able to fire the daemon.. Not even after a reboot.

Surely the fix can't be much..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<