Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Dec 2014, 19:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Can my Slacko 5-3-3 behave as a host? [SOLVED]
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
Antipodal

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct 2014, 19:18    Post subject:  Can my Slacko 5-3-3 behave as a host? [SOLVED]
Subject description: To virtualization products

From the little I know about GNU's Wine, VMWare Inc's VMware and Oracle/Sun/innotek's VirtualBox, it would give me peace of mind to know these programs can work when they run in, from or on top of Slacko 5-3-3.

My peace of mind would be even higher if I were able to know that I will be able to use the aforementioned software in spite of running my Slacko directly from the original CD, and complementing it only with 2 USB sticks.
In one of the sticks I keep
  • canon-ip1800-3.00-i486.pet,
  • devx_slacko_5.3.3.sfs,
  • flashplayer11-11.2.202.310.pet,
  • Google_Earth-5.1-spup.sfs,
  • gpg4usb-0.3.3-1.zip,
  • inkgui-0.2.pet,
  • mesa-7.10.2-s.pet,
  • poedit-1.4.2-4.sfs,
  • skype_static-2.2.0.99.sfs
and in the other one my personal stuff.

Are these things possible?

Your comments and (most of all Smile ) your experience will be much appreciated.

Sometimes save personal stuff on small vfat flash sticks or access via USB data on old big internal NTFS formated SATA HDD

Last edited by Antipodal on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 09:11; edited 1 time in total
rufwoof

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct 2014, 19:51    Post subject:  

Since abandoning XP when support was pulled 6+ months ago I've been solely running with a slimmed down version of Slacko 5.3.3t (which was a slimmed down version of 5.3.3) - no save file, livecd boot each time. Around 75MB puppy sfs filesize i.e. loads relatively quickly.

I remastered a fixed version that I'm happy with and boots the exact same each time. Predominately I use a portable firefox that updates to the latest version as and when new releases occur, and a form of portable libreoffice where the config files are outside of puppy space and symbolic linked (so any config changes are preserved across reboots). Data files (spreadsheets, documents etc) are also stored outside of puppy space. So puppy is just the core operating system and apps (fixed basic set, additional apps (sfs's) loaded as required/desired).

For online banking I boot and have a script that downloads the latest version of firefox (fresh version) that I use to access bank accounts etc, all running in ram only, and then afterwards I shutdown and restart and use the portable firefox for general browsing. i.e. fixed op sys/apps, fresh browser, direct to banks web site only = reasonably secure/safe overall.

I have a script to load sfs's into ram so that no HD's need to be active once the sfs's have been loaded, so I guess your USB requirement/setup could also work ok.

Collection of sfs's/pet's https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4MbXu8cvE_WRVE4Y0FlZUgzcTg&usp=sharing which include some of your target choices (different versions in some cases).

Works well with my PC/hardware, so I'll likely continue to stick with that until that hardware dies - and maybe beyond if I find that it also works OK with the replacement hardware.
Antipodal

PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov 2014, 09:10    Post subject:  Slacko 5-3-3
Subject description: hosting virtual programs

Thank you very much rufwoof!

Your comments and link have been of great help!

I never thought I would have a Virtual Box working in my computer so soon!

After reading your post I have discovered I failed in finding the answers to my questions because my previous searchs lacked the proper depth mainly for using unsuitable keywords and search engines.

Forever grateful! Very Happy

Sometimes save personal stuff on small vfat flash sticks or access via USB data on old big internal NTFS formated SATA HDD
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: