Return to Puppy

Promote Puppy !
Cadejo

Return to Puppy

#1 Post by Cadejo »

All,

Just wanted to say that I left Puppy for a while to use #! Linux, but it was sooo boring. Anyways, I saw that Tahr Puppy came out and I had to have it immediately. So, I'm back, it's like seeing an old friend again.

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

Great story. Was boredom the only reason you wanted to try tahrpup?

Cadejo

#3 Post by Cadejo »

Don't get me wrong. #! was great. I just didn't like it. It was very tied in with Google services, which made it feel corporate. I believe in the Linux Libre ethos and do not believe my OS should be integrated with big data. Also, there was nothing special about it, it's a stripped down Debian using a well customized Openbox. It doesn't have custom pupmodes with ramdrives and crazy layered file systems.

Also, I'm sort of a hacker, I don't like things too easy, and having the apt-get repos was way too easy, it felt like cheating.

Because I was cheating... on puppy. lol.

darkcity

#4 Post by darkcity »

Interesting, I wouldn't like google integration either. i like puppys unique features, but sometimes i wish for an easier apt-get way to install apps.

dancytron

#5 Post by dancytron »

darkcity wrote:Interesting, I wouldn't like google integration either. i like puppys unique features, but sometimes i wish for an easier apt-get way to install apps.
Have you tried Debian Dog yet? That's basically what it is. Also a great apt2sfs function to make perfect sfs files using apt.

darkcity

#6 Post by darkcity »

Hi dancytron, thanks for the heads up. DebianDog and Tahrpup are both on my list of pups to try when I get time.
; -)