Want wireless? pls everyone with a wifi adapter read this

News, happenings

Want wireless? pls everyone with a wifi adapter read this

#1 Post by Guest »

Ok everytime someone asks howto get a wifi adapter going it takes a few posts and what not....same old info time and time again

What I need is for all you lovely ppl with wifi adapters is to send me your

1. Card Description eg Manufacture Model and if available HW & FW versions

2. The pci-id available by lspci -n

3. Any comments you have about your setup

What a I want to do is create a wifi dotpup....

It will contain ndiswrapper entries for the most common cards

A configfile to be place in /etc/wireless (suggestions welcome)

A script to help configure the card (maybe later a database of known cards)

And finally a script that is called from rc.local to get the adapter up and running.

Now is the time for ALL of you to put something back into puppy even it is as little as the two bits of info needed

#2 Post by Guest »

Gigafast WF721-AEX Wireless 11Mbps IEEE802.11b PC Card.

Standards
! IEEE802.11b / IEEE802.3 / IEEE802.1d
Frequency Band
! 2.400GHz ~ 2.483GHz DSSS (Direct Sequence Spread
Spectrum)
Modulation method
! DQPSK / DBPSK / CCK
Data Rate
! 1Mbps, 2Mbps, 5.5Mbps, 11Mbps
Coverage Area : RF
! Indoor (free space) : 35ft ~ 100ft
! Outdoor : 100ft ~ 300ft
Operation mode
! Ad Hoc; infrastructure
Encryption (Open key/shared)
! WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) algorithm (WEP-64bits,
128bits)
Antenna
! Internal diversity
Driver Support
! Windows 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP
Driver Functionality
! WLAN configuration
Regulations
! Radio: EU ETS300 328; USA: FCC part 15
! EMC: EU ETS300 826; USA: FCC part 15
! Safety: EN 60950
LED Indicators
! Green : Power
Input port
! 68pin PCMCIA connector
pci device 10ec:8180 (Rev 32).
Manufacturers driver
http://www.gigafast.com/products/produc ... rivers.htm

#3 Post by Guest »

lol right off the side of the box

Don't worry about manufacturers links for drivers, most of the cards are well supported, run better, with a generic\design reference driver..

Thanx anyways

papaschtroumpf

#4 Post by papaschtroumpf »

I have 3 cards, I don't use the orinico much anymore since I moved on to 802.11g.

The card I usually use is the Motorola. I mostly use the NetGear one went I want to do wireless sniffer because it's the recommended card for linkferret, the (windows based) sniffer I use. (FYI, the reason I need wireless sniffers is not t crack anyone's system, although I know how to do that. I work in the 802.11 field so I sometimes need to check how things are going at the low levels).

Motorola WN825G:
http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.a ... ss+PC+Card

PCI ID: 14e4:4320 Broadcom Corporation BCM94306 802.11g (rv 03)

It's plugged in the laptop I'm using to type this (not under puppy :( ) so I'll pull it out later to see if it has any other useful info on the label
EDIT: part number 513297-001-00 Motorola Model WN825Gv2 FCC ID ACQWN825GV2

NetGear WG511 r
PCI ID: 1260:3890 rev 01 Intersil Corporation Intersil ISL3890 [Prism GT / Prism Duette ] (rev 01)

Orinoco Gold
for some reason it doesn't seem to show up in lspci

Note that my wireless network is set up for WPA with AES encryption and preshared key authenticatio. I'm thinking about going to WPA with AES and Radius authentication (using freeradius) so I would like all the required software componen for WPAt. For example WPA requires a "supplicant" software that will perform authentication, which in turn is likely to depend on some crypto library.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

#5 Post by Guest »

Yeah I'm going to start looking into WPA as I'm running a linux box as a home brewed access point come dial up router come bridge for my wired & wireless network

BlackAdder

#6 Post by BlackAdder »

Three cards/devices in this household too:

1.Netcomm NP 7042 USB 11Mbps VID:PID 03eb:7605; AT76c503 chipset with RFMD radio. Supported by Puppy 1.0.3 using AT76c503-rfmd module.
Have not succeeded in getting it to work with ndiswrapper in Puppy, with Knoppix or Vector Linux. Gets close with Vector, but no cigar.
2. Micronet SP907BB V2 USB 11Mbps VID:PID 12fd:1001; AT76c505 chipset with RFMD2958 radio. Not supported under Puppy - needs a change to the listed devices in the at76c505-rfmd2958 module. Got that working with the change for Xandros 2.0, but not with Puppy so far. No luck with ndiswrapper either. Barry could have this device for testing if he wants it.
3. D-Link DWL-650+ 11/22Mbps VID:PID 104c:8400 Case marked H/W A1 F/W 1.0. Texas Instruments ACX100 chipset, ?RFMD radio. Not supported in Puppy as far as I know. No luck with ndiswrapper either.

All three devices work well with Xandros 3.0 - but I much prefer Puppy as a distro.

Hang in there bladehunter! I think you have been doing a great job. PM me if you think there is something a relative Linux newbie can do to help.

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

Thanks for attempting such a project, bladehunter.
Are you putting together various dedicated Linux drivers, or just ndiswrapper? ndiswrapper is considered the 2nd option after a dedicated driver, but it's the ONLY option for some chipsets, such as Broadcom. I have read that ndiswrapper works for most Prism2 adaptors, but not the USB versions.

I have a D-Link DWL-122 USB wireless adaptor, IEEE 802.11b. Intersil Prism 2.5 chipset.

Dedicated linux drivers for Prism2/2.5/3 based adaptors are provided by the linux-wlan project - www.linux-wlan.org
There are different variations for pcmcia (prism2_cs) pci (prism2_usb) and usb (prism2_usb).
The package includes a utility, wlanctl-ng, which is used to configure the adaptor.
iwconfig cannot be used to set up these drivers, because linux-wlan does not fully implement the wireless extensions interface.
I have successfully used the prism2_usb driver with my D-Link in several different Linux distributions.

To set up the adaptor, the following commands are required -

# sometimes necessary to take down wlan0 interface if incorrectly set up during bootup
ifdown wlan0
modprobe prism2_usb
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_hostwep decrypt=true encrypt=true
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11PrivacyInvoked=true
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKeyID=0
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11ExcludeUnencrypted=true
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKey0=yo:ur:he:xk:ey
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=<your_ssid> authtype=opensystem
pump -i wlan0

I have a simple bash script for this, and of course my individual settings are contained within this script - WEP key / SSID / USB.
DamnSmallLinux has a flua interface for running this configuration, which allows users to input their settings. But the DamnSmallLinux script assumes you have the pcmcia adaptor. It should probably have an extra prompt to let the user define what type of adaptor is in use.

Regarding other Linux wireless drivers, there is a very comprehensive list of wireless adaptors with information about their chipsets and available drivers here - http://linux_wless.passys.nl/ And some very detailed information here - www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/
It appears that other common chipsets are Atheros, Atmel, and PrismGT.

Ranger24

WiFI Cards

#8 Post by Ranger24 »

Hi,

I have 2 cards here:

1) DWL-122 working under WLAN-NG and/or NDISWRAPPER - works fine with the current release of ndiswrapper provided you have the most recent drivers 1.0.3 I think

2) Nokia D211 WLAN/GPRS card not tried under linux yet, but will be. NDISWRAPPER is probably the only option for this as Nokia no longer provide a linux driver.

Good luck!
========================================
Patience installed......reboot system.

drj

#9 Post by drj »

Belkin Wireless G Notebook Network Card, F5D7010, Version 3001

Chipset Ralink RT2500 (www.ralinktech.com)

3:0.0 1814:0201 (rev 01)
Subsystem: 1799:701a
Flags: slow devsel, IRQ 11
Memory at 20800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2

No native linux driver for Puppy (source code available, could be built), ndiswrapper + XP driver work

Ranger24

rt2500.inf

#10 Post by Ranger24 »

drj,

Sorry if this question is a bit obvious but...

Where did you find the rt2500.inf file for NDISWRAPPER to use? I have just brought a F5D7010 and can only find the RT2500.sys & RT2500x.sys files?

Thanks for the help,

Ranger
========================================
Patience installed......reboot system.

#11 Post by Guest »

drj,

Thanx I don't think that pci-id has been added for RT2500 support in the beta package will make a note to add it.

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#12 Post by nduanetesh »

Sorry it's taken so long for me to chime in here. If anyone owes Bladehunter a favor, it's definately me...

My lappy is running a Netgear MA401 card, 802.11b, 16 bit. I can't figure out what is the pci id...maybe I'm a little 'tarded, but when I run "lspci -n", I get nothing but a rack of numbers--no descriptors at all--and I can't figure out which is my wireless card. BUT...

that doesn't really matter, because the card is automagically detected by regular ole puppy 1.0.3 at bootup, and runs on the oronoco_cs driver module. So, for ease of setup/use it can't be beaten. Shame it's only a B card.

Once I've got my gf's machine in my hands, I'll send the info on her card as well.

Thanks for doing this project, Bladehunter.

ND

#13 Post by Guest »

if you cant work out the pci-id just post the results of the command...please no screen shots......And I can take it from there...

tempestuous

#14 Post by tempestuous »

Oops, sorry, you wanted the ID number of the wireless adaptor.
I only just worked out how to get this for a USB device (cat /proc/bus/usb/devices)
So my D-Link DWL-122 yields-

P: Vendor=2001 ProdID=3700 Rev=1.32
S: SerialNumber=000000000000
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=prism2_usb

Carlosulm

WLAN card in laptop compaq presario R3000

#15 Post by Carlosulm »

Hi, I just want to post my WLAN card, it is an internal card in my compaq presario R3000
I works with nsdwrapper, I just tried it with the windows drivers included.

54g Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

===== parse_pci_devices =====
No info found about the device 14e4.4320 (NETWORK - OTHER)!

Thanks you very much!!

Carlos

PS. In puppy 1.0.4 will be included the ALSA drivers?? My audio card is not working under puppy. It uses the chips AD1981b

No info found about the device 1002.4341 (AUDIO)!
Please send a snapshot of this window to
puppy@goosee.com. Also read Modules HOWTO

data

want wireless?

#16 Post by data »

I have these cards..

Trendnet TEW-423PI 54g
CHIPSET: TI ACX 111
PCIID: 104C:9066 windows

Trendnet TEW-424UB USB 54g
CHIPSET: ZyDas zd1211

I dont know how to get them working under Puppy.
They are working ok under windows

#17 Post by Guest »

The PCI card is supported by my wifi-beta package....well according to the pci-id anyways, as I don't have the particular hardware I can't say for certain but on paper it should not be a problem...The usb one could be a bit more problematic at the cuurent moment

tempestuous

#18 Post by tempestuous »

Carlosulm,
Your onboard sound chip is supported by the OSS i810_audio driver.
Try to load it manually -
modprobe i810_audio
This driver should load another module - ac97_codec

berk0081

wlan-ng / dedicated driver support

#19 Post by berk0081 »

Thanks for attempting such a project, bladehunter.
Are you putting together various dedicated Linux drivers, or just ndiswrapper? ndiswrapper is considered the 2nd option after a dedicated driver, but it's the ONLY option for some chipsets, such as Broadcom. I have read that ndiswrapper works for most Prism2 adaptors, but not the USB versions.

I have a D-Link DWL-122 USB wireless adaptor, IEEE 802.11b. Intersil Prism 2.5 chipset.
Greetings all,

Many thanks to Bladehunter for working on this.

I'm sorry to join this thread so late, but was this ever resolved? Will any support besides ndiswrapper be included in this package?

Thanks much,
-m
Raising puppies since 1.04

#20 Post by Guest »

It's a hard one to debug when you only have limited access to adapters....The only kernel modules I experiment with is ones that work with hardware I have access to.