Intel wants you to use your face to replace passwords

For discussions about security.

Is it a bad idea?

Yes. What if someone smashes my face?
55%
Yes. What if the computer, camera, and/or software is compromised?
36%
Yes. What if the NSA/GCHQ is collecting data
9%
No. Too many people use bad passwords.
No votes
No. I am simply bad at making passwords, so I will be lazy and use my face.
No votes
No. It's the 21st century so why not?
No votes

Total votes: 11

cthisbear

#16 Post by cthisbear »

From the same company found spying on people in
the Pentium 4 bios??? years ago.

Can't find the link.

Chris.

8Geee

#17 Post by 8Geee »

8-bit wrote:I have a laptop with facial recognition. And the recognition wants one to look exactly the same every time on logs on using that software.
But over the course of days, weeks, one's looks change.
I do not even have or use a log on password with my computers.
Everything is backed up for restoring and I do not keep any sensitive personal information on my computers.
no doubt the image is updated every X days. I hope your 'puter is up-to-date security-wise and has a lot of free memory. New twist on the "Family Album" ???
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Teh Agnostic Anarco

#18 Post by Teh Agnostic Anarco »

Meh, Intel? Many computer OEMs have been doing this for a while with their own propietary software on laptops. Has its drawbacks and advantages I still prefer a strong passphrase assuming you have no keyloggers hiding around.

mikeslr

Creditcards/Debitcards with Photos

#19 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

With credit card fraud being a multi-billion dollar a year industry, Paywave is about the dumbest idea, ever.
On the average week, I receive 2 unsolicited applications for credit cards. You would think some major bank offering credit cards might require applicants to include a photo of his/herself and his/her spouse/child if a second card was wanted for such. Then issue a card with the photo on it. Pretty hard a clerk not to realize that the person tendering the card has the wrong face, or that the card's been tampered with to show the "right" face.
But then I guess banks don't really care. The cost of sending out applications is tax deductible. Loses from credit card fraud are tax deductible. And the profits banks make under our system for doing very little work are obscene.
You, of course, realize that when a bank extends credit it's considered a "loan". If you loan me money, it's money you had. And you won't have that money again until, and if, I pay it back. Loans from banks are different. In making a loan a bank doesn't use either the money it has on deposit or the money its shareholders paid to purchase stock. It simply creates the money* by issuing it. Only Federal Reserve rules limit the amount of money a bank can create. Although it changes from day to day, on average a bank can create 10 times the amount of money it has on deposit and in its capital account (paid in by shareholders). This system is (a) the real reason Britain cracked down on the Colonies sparking the rebellion -- Local American banks were violating the monopoly held by the Bank of England; and Ben Franklin let that secret slip out, probably while carousing in Paris; (b) inflation exists, as more money keeps entering the system. (b), by the way, is a good thing, provided it is kept in check by, for example, taxation which takes money out of the system. Otherwise, as has happened during the last 40 years, a greater percentage of a countries purchasing power end up in the pockets of those in the Financial Industry.
What's the real interest rate on a 30 year fixed mortgage at 4% annual interest? What number do you get when you divide by 0?

mikesLr

* I'm not using money here in the limited sense of pieces of paper. The pieces of paper we carry in our wallets are printed by our government. [Banks can print them as well, but they wouldn't be legal tender that everyone is obligated to accept in payment]. Taking into consideration checks, direct deposits and e-banking, the use of pieces of paper to pay for things is a small part of the economy.