Questions before I try Puppy (Answered)

Booting, installing, newbie
hcowan

Questions before I try Puppy (Answered)

#1 Post by hcowan »

Hello,

I'm new to both Linux and Puppy and I have a few simple questions (I hope that they are simple). Firstly, there are a number of different tasks that I would like to be able to do and I just want to make sure that I can do them with Puppy before investing a chunk of time learning how to use Puppy.

1. I have an old laptop that I would like to use to show DVDs for the kids while traveling in the car. Because it is an older machine I don't want the computer to do anything else that migh slow it down, besides playing the DVD.

Can I boot with the Puppy Live-CD, take the CD out, put in a DVD, and watch the movie? Without needing to use the hard drive?

2. Boot a computer (with the LiveCD) and backup / copy the data & files on the hard drive to either a FTP server (using the network) or burn to a CDR / CDRW (ie: I would need to remove the Puppy Live CD first and insert a blank CDR to burn the files onto).

3. Boot with the Puppy Live-CD and do a virus scan on the harddrive?

I often need to do number 2 & 3 when I visit friends and family as they are always having problems. Most of them run Windows and in some cases they have NTFS paritions. Does Puppy work with NTFS partitions?

Finally, I would like to try-out Puppy as a standard desktop and see if at some time down the road, I can switch from using Windows to Puppy full time. Right now I have a machine that has Windows 2000 on it with an NTFS partition that takes up the entire hard drive.

Therefore my second question is, is there anything that I can, or should do to improve Puppy and have it run better? I know that I can run it as a Live CD to test it out -- but I don't know if there are limitations that could be over-come, or things that can make it even better

I realize the best option would be to install Puppy on the hard drive itself -- that is not an option right now as I still need Windows and don't have a spare parition on the hard drive. I also do not want to risk re-sizing the existing partition at this time.

I have lots of free room on the NTFS partition, but I don't know if that helps or not.

One of the things that I like about Puppy is that it runs on older hardware, and utilizes running everything in RAM. If you do copy / install Puppy on the hard drive, does it still run everything in RAM or not?

One last question -- is it possible to have everything run from RAM, but have the ability to save your files (ie: spreadsheets, pictures, documents) etc. on a hard drive?

Thanks so much,

Hugh

zigbert

#2 Post by zigbert »

Let's be clear:

- Puppy plays movies
- You can save files on hd, ftp and burn a cd
- You don't need the Puppycd after boot unless you got less than 128 mb RAM
- To scan viruses you need to download a package made for puppy
- If you want, you then can make your own Puppy Live-CD incuding virus program
- The upcoming version Puppy 2.02 (release maybe tomorrow) will have full support of NTFS.
- Puppy runs completely in RAM (if 128 mb) and you can store your work on hd or even burn it back to the live-cd.

Go get it!

hcowan

#3 Post by hcowan »

zigbert wrote: - The upcoming version Puppy 2.02 (release maybe tomorrow) will have full support of NTFS.
Awesome........can hardly wait. Having full support for NTFS would be great. Thanks for the confirmation about the other points.

Hugh,

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

This is a test release - do not install except on a test machine - go to developers news for more info. NTFS support is being tested before the official release ;)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D