Puppy won't boot. How to remove it from the boot menu?

Booting, installing, newbie
J_D_

Puppy won't boot. How to remove it from the boot menu?

#1 Post by J_D_ »

I tried several times to install Puppy 5.6 on this laptop. Each time when I tried to boot It says file not found. i am OK with that. Dont have to have it. I have installed Puppy on 3 other laptops, no problem. Question is, how do I remove the 5 Puppy 5.6 options from the blue start up page so it just boots ti Vista ??

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

What boot loader are you using?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

J_D_

#3 Post by J_D_ »

I just reformatted the HD. Turned into a real pain. Seems Puppy altered the BIOS somehow. After I reinstalled Vista, I had no sound or internet. Downloaded about 100 drivers. Nothing worked until I reinstalled the chipset and then the the sound, network, the BIOS and wireless. What made it difficult was every time I tried something I had to go on line with my other laptop, save drivers to a flash drive and then run it on the Vista laptop. Not sure how many times I did this. Now doing 5 years of MS updates. This is not even my laptop. Just doing a freebee for a neighbor.
Anyway, thanks for looking. :D

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Seems Puppy altered the BIOS somehow
There is nothing in Puppy that could or would do that.

If you did choose to run one of the boot loader config programs in Puppy. That would replace the Windows boot loader.

There is a way to restore the Windows boot loader, but you have done it the hard way.

With Windows you usually need to do a fresh clean install about once a year, anyway. So, not a total wast of time what you did.

Surprised that laptop did not have a recovery options to restore Windows to like new condition.
YaPI(any iso installer)

J_D_

#5 Post by J_D_ »

This happened after I used Gparted to partition the HD. I have no clue what really happened but it seemed to be related to that. Anyway Ive been maintaining this Vista laptop since it was new and always hated it. I think the install disc is corrupt because on a reinstall I have always. had sound issues. When it was new when you played a DVD it had no sound. I worked around that using some non Windows software.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Now you understand why I skipped over Vista. :evil: :twisted:
Never wanted it and never used it.

Not sure about Vista, but with Windows 7 onward.
If you are going to keep Windows installed.
Partitioning and formatting, it is recommended to use a program running in Windows.
Windows security processes think something is wrong if stuff gets done when not running within Windows.
Modifying the hard drive is something that sets off warnings and security concerns in Windows.
What effects that can have, seems to be anything can happen.
YaPI(any iso installer)

J_D_

#7 Post by J_D_ »

I also skipped over Vista. I mainly use 2 laptops. The one I use most has been partitioned, 1, Puppy 2, Mint 17 and 3, XP. 99 times out of 100 I just use Puppy. The other laptop has XP that I use for 2 specific programs and it gets used maybe once a week. I also have another HD that I slap in it sometimes and it has Puppy.
I really need to learn how to take advantage of more Puppy functions but I am slow about figuring some of those things out and time available can run out fast.
Next project is an old Dell with Windows 7 for someone. Another freebee, but thats life.