Getting closer... or ...editing the initrd.gz (Closed)

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
Jasper

#16 Post by Jasper »

Hi stemsee,

I don't know an official definition of xonclock when in use - perhaps a running applet.

Swapicons is, I repeat, fast and flexible and it actually handles desktop drive icons properly.

Try it.
Attachments
shots-1&3.png
(138.88 KiB) Downloaded 589 times
shot-2.png
(114.09 KiB) Downloaded 602 times

LazY Puppy

#17 Post by LazY Puppy »

I have attached updated 'init' and 'auto_execute' Scripts.

Attachments are at the End of the first Post.

Changes:

- option $MYDESKTOPICONS is now working, so booting into a clean desktop is possible.

RSH

stemsee

#18 Post by stemsee »

Thanks @RSH

I have downloaded and I will first scan the scripts then try them out, over the next few days.

stemsee

LazY Puppy

#19 Post by LazY Puppy »

stemsee wrote:Thanks @RSH

I have downloaded and I will first scan the scripts then try them out, over the next few days.

stemsee
Make sure to examine the updated 'init' script. I have overseen to mark (# RSH) a needed Line inside of the 'init' script inside initrd.gz. This line is needed for PSUBDIR.

Here it is:

basedirpupsfs="`dirname $PUPSFSFILE`"

Btw.:

I have added this successful to the initrd.gz of Precise 5.7.1 and it worked out of the box. Also Tahr 5.8.1.5 and Tahr 6.0 CE, but I need to refine the Wallpaper Option for both of them.

Wallpaper Option currently uses default.jpg and will fail if different name is setup and/or if .png file is used.

RSH

LazY Puppy

#20 Post by LazY Puppy »

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 062#810062
RSH wrote:Beyond this everything seems to be possible using a fresh, clean and un-remastered version of any Puppy Linux.
Ok, I have made some Progress, I have gone beyond! 8)

Now I'm able to boot a fresh, clean and un-remastered Puppy Linux directly into DE Interface using a different Window Manager which is loaded by SFS at boot up process - NOT at /root/StartUp

Just by using the Config File and using the new boot option pinterface from L.A.S.S.I.E. 003.

Options that are currently available AND working:

# Sleep Time - new
# Window Manager - new
# Window Manager SFS to load - new
# Keyboard Layout
# Mount all HD and USB Flash Drives
# Mount only selected HD and USB Flash Drives
# Personal Settings PopUp
# Desktop Icons
# Drive Icons - new
# Wallpapers
# Startup Sound
# Auto-Installation of Packages from Directory (deb, pet, *.gz, rpm, txz & xz) - new added after doing this here Post
# Auto-Load of SFS Modules (/etc/profile.local) - new added after doing this here Post
# Auto-Load of SFS Modules (/root/Startup)
# Auto-Start of Applications
# Startup Script

Since I can't boot Slacko 5.9.3 into DE Interface or even DE Keyboard (won't find the puppy sfs) I will continue this work using a fresh, clean and un-remastered version of precise 5.7.1.

Uploading a precise 5.7.1 initrd.gz File later.

:D

RSH

stemsee

#21 Post by stemsee »

I think you are from 'beyond' RSH :D

This is game changing stuff ... very exciting! I will wait for it!

LazY Puppy

#22 Post by LazY Puppy »

stemsee wrote:I think you are from 'beyond' RSH :D
Oh... :shock:

So I need to refine my statement:

Ok, I have made some Progress, I have gone here! 8)

:lol:
stemsee wrote:This is game changing stuff ... very exciting! I will wait for it!
Yes!

This is changing everything - especially for my own developments!

However, I have made again some progress. Added Option to load Window Manager SFS and SFS files listed to load at boot up to a top layer.

Now going to try to include the new L.A.S.S.I.E.'s pinterface option into the config file. After doing this -successfully or even not- I will build a GUI to setup the config file from within a GtkDialog GUI.

Hopefully I can upload a ready for use initrd.gz for precise 5.7.1 on Friday afternoon or Friday at night.

Don't refuse to learn...

Edit:

Attached Image shows a clean, fresh and un-remastered precise 5.7.1 booted straight into Enlightenment e17 Window Manager loaded to top layer, wine-1.5.28-i486-2-s14-patched.pet and Wine-MimeType.pet installed automatically and PortableApps Starter immediately working! Gimp Painter 2.8.7 and its PlugIns SFS loaded from /root/Startup to normal layer.
Attachments
e17.jpg
!!! PRECISE 5.7.1 !!!
No SaveFile in use - not remastered or altered in any way!
(88.19 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

#23 Post by LazY Puppy »

Success! :D

Added option pinterface to the config file! 8)

Now going to sleep and later building the config GUI.
Attachments
precise-571-using-LASSIEs-WMs-and-LazY-Puppy-SFS.jpg
(162.71 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

stemsee

#24 Post by stemsee »

Totally awesome dude! Congratulations!

I know that you don't generally use savefiles, but many of us do. So if a savefile is used what happens? Does the config also allow for uninstalling/unloading a pet/sfs? Just thinking about it, not trying to dampen down the euphoria, by making inane requests as is usual when someone reaches a milestone here!!!

stemsee

LazY Puppy

#25 Post by LazY Puppy »

stemsee wrote:Totally awesome dude! Congratulations!

I know that you don't generally use savefiles, but many of us do. So if a savefile is used what happens? Does the config also allow for uninstalling/unloading a pet/sfs? Just thinking about it, not trying to dampen down the euphoria, by making inane requests as is usual when someone reaches a milestone here!!!

stemsee
Never mind!

None of the Forum Members/Puppy users really will be able to dampen down my euphoria and/or fun in Puppy Linux. Usually it is sufficient if I do know for myself that my work is just good! :D

Ok, personal storage files aka savefiles:

- unloading .sfs will work as usual since sfs_load is used, except
- .sfs loaded to top layer will not unload during the running session

- un-installing .pet files will not work since petget isn't used for that (petget is uncomfortable for automated installs since you need to confirm installation of each package)

Using a save file combined with the new config file options should work generally - or at least should not crash the boot process.

E.g.: as long as the new wallpaper set for a use is inside the Puppy it will be used. But you cant' access /mnt/sdc1 (e.g. boot partition) when using a save file since it will be /mnt/home then and wallpapers from within the boot partition/directory currently won't be found then - needs refining some code.

New startup sound is equal to this.

Loading .sfs to top layer is equal to this also.

However, I can't see any advantage for this when using a save file since there is very much more to set up as covered by the config file by now.

In my opinion the use of a save file should be deprecated. Go have a look at the Lucid 528 thread (the original by playdayz). You'll find hundred of pages where dozens of people worked for months just to get 'sound not working when using a save file' problem solved. This huge amount of effort better had be going into development of a external config file. At least they did solve the issue, but that didn't solve any of the frequently arising save file issues in general. These issues are still arising -more or less- in each new puppy developed and published forcing a new user to run straight into such issues over and over again.

Instead of listening and watching (external config file was suggested already earlier multiple times by several users and was already used in Arch Pup (iirc)) they invent the save to folder option forcing a user to run straight into new save file related issues.

Give to the user a external config file plus a config script for the config file plus added some functions to create symbolic links to HDD for the use of e.g. saving browsers content etc.pp.

Of course, you can do a mess that way as well but just need to remove the symbolic link (or not to create it at boot up) and your OS will boot and run. You cant do this with save file in use. All you can do is to boot in RAM (PUPMODE=5) and trying to copy some files out of the save file, to put them into a new one after creating a new save file.

However, want to have this working in complete for the use of a save file?

Just join into the one man RSH development team and add/change related code for it.
RSH

stemsee

#26 Post by stemsee »

Code: Select all

durr=`mount | grep dev_ro2 | cut -f1 -d ' ' | cut -f3 -d '/'`
dorr=`mount | grep dev_save | cut -f1 -d ' ' | cut -f3 -d '/'`

if [[ $durr = $drive ]]; then
	drive="Home"
	elif [[ $dorr = $drive ]]; then
	drive="home"
	fi

#normal pups
	. /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
	. /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
	if [[ $durr = "`echo $PUPSFS | cut -c 1-4,11-40 | cut -f1,2 -d '/' | cut -f1 -d '/'`" ]]; then
	echo $PUPSFS | cut -c 1-4,11-40 | cut -f1,2 -d '/' | sed -e 's|'$durr'|Home|' > /tmp/sfs
	elif [[ $dorr = "`echo $PUPSFS | cut -c 1-4,11-40 | cut -f1,2 -d '/' | cut -f1 -d '/'`" ]];  then
	echo $PUPSFS | cut -c 1-4,11-40 | cut -f1,2 -d '/'  | sed -e 's|'$dorr'|home|' > /tmp/sfs
	else
	echo $PUPSFS | cut -c 1-4,11-40 | cut -f1,2 -d '/' > /tmp/sfs
	fi
	sed -i 's|^|boot=|' /tmp/sfs
	. /tmp/sfs
[/code]

LazY Puppy

#27 Post by LazY Puppy »

:lol:

Knocked out!

This is a good example and could be used as a proof/evidence that I'm not a programmer!

It won't work this way. Offering such kind of code to me without any advice what to do with it, will knock me out - completely!

Here is how it could work:

After finishing the config GUI (currently already working on it) I will publish a ready to use initrd.gz for precise 5.7.1.
Use this one to add your code and/or to change mine and to testing it using a precise 5.7.1.
Send your edited files to me by PM (LazY Puppy, NOT RSH !!!)
Don't forget to mark your code (code sections) with # stemsee either at beginning and end of code section or per line, so I can find it easily to put it into my file/s (since I'm obviously continuing to work on it).

If we would get close to a point, where you could use it all to be built into the initrd.gz of the your created OS, send it (the initrd.gz) to me (PM, LazY Puppy, NOT RSH !!!) and I will put it in for you.

What do you think?
RSH

stemsee

#28 Post by stemsee »

It is proof that I am NOT a programmer. It is a reliable mech to deal with 'home' and I add 'Home' for /initrd/dev_save and /initrd/dev_ro2 respectively, in case they use the same partitiion, or different partitions or no partitions at all.

It is the way I translate /initrd/mnt/dev_save to 'home'
and /initrd/mnt/dev_ro2 to 'Home' . So in /mnt/ there exists 'Home' and 'home' ...

Just sharing a loose idea ...

I will follow your idea.

LazY Puppy

#29 Post by LazY Puppy »

Ok.

I have uploaded the initrd.gz for precise 5.7.1 plus the new config file (you'll need to edit this for your purposes).

Therefor I've changed the first post where you can find the link. It's all packaged into a .tar.gz file.

Note: it doesn't contain the PConfig GUI Script since this is currently still in DE only and I need to pause this for some days due to real life issues.

Just play with it and check what you can do for the use with a save file until I return to this.

Have fun.
RSH

stemsee

#30 Post by stemsee »

I can read DE no problem!

stemsee

#31 Post by stemsee »

Looking to the future maybe you should consider continuing the work using trusty tahr! Precise 5.7.1 is OLD.

LazY Puppy

#32 Post by LazY Puppy »

stemsee wrote:Looking to the future maybe you should consider continuing the work using trusty tahr! Precise 5.7.1 is OLD.
At least I need to use tahr temporarily to "fix" the code for the use of a new wallpaper.

Currently I'll stay using precise, since I've set up a usb flash drive for this development. This usb flash drive is pretty much filled up and doesn't have enough space on it to install also a tahr.

Sometimes I need to push the reset button (bug in edited init script) and I don't want to use my USB HD for such actions where tahr is already installed.
RSH

stemsee

#33 Post by stemsee »

How big is your usb flash drive? I have a sandisk cruzer extreme 192mb/s usb 3.0 drive unopened, here I'd be happy to send to you (as a contribution to your present work), just pm me your address.

LazY Puppy

#34 Post by LazY Puppy »

stemsee wrote:How big is your usb flash drive? I have a sandisk cruzer extreme 192mb/s usb 3.0 drive unopened, here I'd be happy to send to you (as a contribution to your present work), just pm me your address.
It's just a 2GB USB flash drive containing Precise 571 and LazY Puppy (to be able to boot a different OS, if edited init script of precise fails) and minimum necessary files and SFS Modules to be able to work and test this work as comfortable as possible - related to the USB flash drive size.

Thanks for the offer, but my machine can use USB 3.0 only if it would be especially also USB 2.0 compatible. I did once bought accidentally a USB 3.0 HD which did not work on my machine - all USB 2.0 interfaces. I'm owning now a USB 3.0 HD which was especially marked as USB 2.0 compatibel and this is working well. I have made a switch on this HD to use ext2 formatted boot partition instead of fat32 which I used to use normally.

However, it's also really not needed to contribute my present or any other work that way, since I'm already paid in a royally way by owning four (six) of the smartest Operating Systems of the Planet!
RSH

LazY Puppy

#35 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

While trying to build this into my LazY Puppy I've found some (very small) issues when setting a new wallpaper to use. Though the wallpaper functions had already a need to be refined for Tahr Puppy, so I refined it and built some initrd.gz files packaged in a .tar.gz file.

Therefor I now have uploaded this .tar.gz file which contains the initrd.gz files for:

- Precise 5.7.1
- Slacko 5.9.3
- Tahr 6.0 CE

plus a config file for each one of these Puppies.

The config file includes my current settings used while developing and doing some testings with it. You'll need to make some changes to apply your preferred settings for doing some testings on this work.

First post updated.
RSH