Problem installing 5.25 Retro Puppy on IBM desktop - SOLVED

Please post any bugs you have found
jhecht

#16 Post by jhecht »

mikeb wrote: Perhaps it might be easier to grab the 5.28 recent updates...

I find in lucid the best all round puppy kernels....but that just my experience on a variety of hardware.

For 'Windoze users with computers dripping malware' I offered removal of the malware gateway software or a premade image of a 'safe' windows....
Going now for the 5.28 iso - "I'd rather switch than fight."

Malware removal works if it hasn't already hosed the Windoze OS. What 'safe' Windoze do you know of?
John Hechtman / www.zenarrow.com / jhecht@ix.netcom.com
"Computer help in NYC" / 917 628 0192 - cell / 212 586 4633 - landline

jhecht

#17 Post by jhecht »

James C wrote:Since I built Lucid Retro http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 627#521627 I thought I'd pop in here.
I just did a test full install.....no error messages,no problems...... normal uneventful install.

I seem to remember that bug being in an early release but it was fixed. The latest and greatest (Version 4) http://www.smokey01.com/JamesC/uploads/ ... 0.5-v4.iso md5 760e0e61fa24eb5f80d9c31a05d6b611 doesn't have that problem.
Thanks! I d/l v4, burned the iso to CD, booted off it, and the install worked! Glad to see it wasn't some dumb error on my part (grin).

As the Mighty Sparrow said when I was recording a soca album for him, "Matter fix, mon!" And it is.

CAVEAT - I had to use Grub4DOS to install the bootloader. Regular Grub no workee - at least not without tweaks.

I'll leave this thread open for a bit for comments, but v4 is the bomb! (grin)

My last (hopefully) question of the day - how do I mark this thread 'solved'?
Last edited by jhecht on Wed 26 Nov 2014, 21:55, edited 2 times in total.

James C

#18 Post by James C »

jhecht wrote:
James C wrote:Since I built Lucid Retro http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 627#521627 I thought I'd pop in here.
I just did a test full install.....no error messages,no problems...... normal uneventful install.

I seem to remember that bug being in an early release but it was fixed. The latest and greatest (Version 4) http://www.smokey01.com/JamesC/uploads/ ... 0.5-v4.iso md5 760e0e61fa24eb5f80d9c31a05d6b611 doesn't have that problem.
Great! I'll try v4 and keep you posted. Thanks!
Never had any problems with the updated iso so should work well for you.

Screenie from my fresh install........
Attachments
Lucid Retro full install.jpg
(104.81 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

jhecht

#19 Post by jhecht »

James C wrote:Never had any problems with the updated iso so should work well for you.

Geez James - >26 partitions!< Wuffo you gotz so many?

And maybe an effort should be made to pull the older/buggy 525 iso offline, before it futzes up somebody else? It cost me a >lot< of time playing with it...
Or >at least< put a note up on them saying they are obsolete/buggy and pointing to one of the better versions!
Last edited by jhecht on Wed 26 Nov 2014, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#20 Post by James C »

jhecht wrote:
James C wrote:Never had any problems with the updated iso so should work well for you.

Geez James - >26 partitions!< Wuffo you gotz so many?
I run/test a lot of different distros. :)
jhecht wrote:And maybe an effort should be made to pull the older/buggy 525 iso offline, before it futzes up somebody else? It cost me a >lot< of time playing with it...
Just checked..... I only have version 4 (the latest) on the server....all older versions have been removed for several years. Also checked the Lucid Retro thread.... the only links lead to the latest version 4 iso.

Don't know where you got an older/different version but I can only control my server space and my thread...anything else is out of my hands.

mikeb

#21 Post by mikeb »

Malware removal works if it hasn't already hosed the Windoze OS. What 'safe' Windoze do you know of?
if its that bad I would simply replace with the cloned install....its easier that way anyway.

safe windows?...any with IE/outlook/wmp and auto updates removed basically...no virii in 10 years that way without antivirus.

so you got the solution from the horses mouth in the end.
Perhaps post the source of that buggy one...

One question ...why the need for a retro lupu/lucid since the standard one worked ok even on the oldest machines I could find (1996 kayak for instance...)? I thought the retro versions were needed for barry's cut down kernels only.

is partition envy similar to the penis type?.... I have a mere 4 containing 3 windows and 9 various distros...and storage and swap.... me lifes messy enough :D

mike

jhecht

#22 Post by jhecht »

mikeb wrote:
if its that bad I would simply replace with the cloned install....its easier that way anyway.
If you >have< a cloned install. I deal with a lot of end users. They wouldn't know a cloned install from a horse stall - and certainly don't have one.
mikeb wrote:safe windows?...any with IE/outlook/wmp and auto updates removed basically...no virii in 10 years that way without antivirus.
Interesting solution - but not feasible for many EUs - who love their IE. It's the only browser they know how to use, and they don't want to learn another.
mikeb wrote:so you got the solution from the horses mouth in the end.
Perhaps post the source of that buggy one...
Good idea if I had it. The installer was one I had archived a while back, and I'm not >that< organized.
mikeb wrote:One question ...why the need for a retro lupu/lucid since the standard one worked ok even on the oldest machines I could find (1996 kayak for instance...)? I thought the retro versions were needed for barry's cut down kernels only.
As a tech, I want a distro that will work on almost any machine I meet. I've had probs at times with the standard build not booting, or not running properly.
mikeb wrote:is partition envy similar to the penis type?.... I have a mere 4 containing 3 windows and 9 various distros...and storage and swap.... me lifes messy enough :D
Try my solution - multiple machines and a KVM switch. That way your fuckenaround/test computer is totally separate from your main man money computer.

OFFER to everyone on this thread as payback. I'm a media activist, I work by showing and giving away copies of outstanding documentaries. It is >legal to do this if you don't charge money for it< - and I never do. It's considered 'educational usage' under US copyright law.

Send me your email (to my email - jhecht@ix.netcom.com) and I'll give you access to the media folder on my Google Drive. It has over 200 great films. You can stream 'em or download 'em. I recommend download, to keep the traffic down on the media folder.

Enjoy!!! :)

ardvark

#23 Post by ardvark »

jhecht wrote:My last (hopefully) question of the day - how do I mark this thread 'solved'?
Hi...

Glad you got it fixed :)

To mark as solved, simply edit the subject line of your initial post. Just add the word [SOLVED] either before of after your title.

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

mikeb

#24 Post by mikeb »

Interesting solution - but not feasible for many EUs - who love their IE. It's the only browser they know how to use, and they don't want to learn another.
then they will continue to get malware as that is one of the main gateways by its design/integration. Its also the main source of windows desktop instability. It has to go...and properly to stop the crap...IE and the rest are because they also use part of the IE mechanisms that have the gateways.
This is knowledge from over a decade ago that I found, that was realised not long after the IE integration and was even taken to court over monopoly issues in 1999. Funny how its still present and causing mayhem.

Unfortunately in-bred computer habits are the biggest problem...humans will not change even if its good for them...thats why there is still plenty of heart disease going around for example. Even MS know of their mistakes but have users who would be in uproar if they changed it now...

Actually the kernel question was at James C but thats ok since you seem to have found some hardware it does not like.... I just found lucid better than earlier puppy kernels that had a really small window of hardware compatibility...just for my own info really.

By the way the cloned windows is taken from a bootable version on a usb stick. I boot with that and check all is ok...drivers get added and then that can be cloned to the problem machine and used if needed.
Its not something the end user would have...like they make backups!!!?? lol

well glad you got sorted

mike