kernel compiling in woof-ce

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
peterw

DOTconfig

#581 Post by peterw »

Hi Stemsee

I cloned git to get at the kernel compile kit and missed that? I adjusted the DOTconfig that I did get from an existing Bionicpup64 and it did not have the modules enabled in it. I apologise for missing that DOTconfig and it reminds to be more careful.

You mention UCM and I have had a look at that. Puppy includes it in /usr/share/alsa/ucm and when I look at that the contents there they are different than those that I downloaded from Gallium (I think). Does one just merge the two to get extra coverage. Sorry for such a stupid question.

The other query I have is that will kernels for future Puppies and Fatdog pick up on your work for that DOTconfig and include those modules?

I read much of your post and thank for all your good work. It is much appreciated.

stemsee

Re: DOTconfig

#582 Post by stemsee »

peterw wrote:Hi Stemsee
I apologise for missing that DOTconfig and it reminds to be more careful.
If I started apologising for my simple errors I would do nothing else! :lol:
You mention UCM and I have had a look at that. Puppy includes it in /usr/share/alsa/ucm and when I look at that the contents there they are different than those that I downloaded from Gallium (I think). Does one just merge the two to get extra coverage. Sorry for such a stupid question.
UCM hardware has various versions of firmware. I provided a package somewhere in this thread, that worked for one of my atom based tablets. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask, or the one you asked in the wrong way ... You just want to clarify, that is better than erroneous assumption or worse 'presumption'.
The other query I have is that will kernels for future Puppies and Fatdog pick up on your work for that DOTconfig and include those modules?
Not necessarily ... only if the user uses that DOTconfig to compile a new kernel, or uses a kernel compiled with that DOTconfig. That DOTconfig has certain configured options which allows the compilation to build those modules ... no modules are actually in the DOTconfig.
I read much of your post and thank for all your good work. It is much appreciated.
There are many contributors to this thread, and the kernel-kit, I'm sure I speak for all of them when I say "You are very welcome Peterw!"

cheers
stemsee

rockedge

#583 Post by rockedge »

I managed to compile a low latency PREEMPT version of kernel 5.4.5-rt3_x86_64 using the kerne-kit, which is working well with great idle numbers and low CPU loads.

I still am looking for a solution to applying the patches needed to build a full RT kernel out of this version

have made it avallable in this form here -> http://rockedge.org/kernels/

rockedge

#584 Post by rockedge »

Fully Real Time Kernel Linux 4.14.87-rt50 with aufs4 for Puppy Linux.

▶—— Linux Kernel ——◀

Linux 4.14.87-rt50 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Jan 29 22:04:27 EST 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Kernel Release: 4.14.87-rt50
Build Date: RT Wed Jan 29 22:04:27 EST 2020
Build GCC: 7.4.0
OS Support: GNU/Linux
Architecture: x86_64
SMP Enabled: Yes

https://rockedge.org/kernels/

Download

This is a LTS (Long Term Support) kernel with a projected end of life (EOL) 2024.
stemsee wrote:The only thing is that you configure the kernel with CONFIG_HZ_300=y it would probably give better performance/timer resolution if CONFIG_HZ_1000=y instead!
took the advice and configured CONFIG_HZ_1000=y

So far all tests indicate that this is one of the best overall performing RT kernels available for Puppy Linux
Tested in Tahr64, Xenial64 and Bionic64

Eesmets

#585 Post by Eesmets »

Having used sukk succesfully I made some improvements.

Without entering a kernel version the latest stable is downloaded and compiled.
Attachments
nubuild.sh.gz
(23.5 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

Terry H

#586 Post by Terry H »

So I've been thinking of doing this for quite a while. So I decided to give compiling a kernel using Stemsee's sukk. I think it's worked well.
For my first attempt I decided to build the latest LTS version of 4.19.x for using with radky's busterpup 8.0. I ran the nubuild.sh on my Dell laptop core i5-5200U 8 GB RAM. The build was done with just answering some simple Y/N questions, so nothing special included. All seems to have gone well. I have manually swapped the resultant kernel & zdrv into a frugal install of Busterpup 8.0 on my laptop and working fine, which was th OS used to build the kernel.

As it's my first attempt, any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NNnSlp ... sp=sharing

md5sum: 4608b69272be4e5452dffbe724415d7a

I know I'm late to the party, but thank you stemsee for making this utility available, wish I had of joined in a lot earlier.