Classrom management [FILLED]

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
guardemon

Classrom management [FILLED]

#1 Post by guardemon »

I think is time to make a post of the new distro on the special place the forum have for that

The request of this tread was solve by nilsonmorales (TY Nilson!)

i dont have made the test yet because I only have the system installed in one mache but looks fine so far

Hello, my name is david and in this moment im working in a new distro (puplet lxpup retro based) for my students im a teacher in Venezuela and my lab have very old computers (and my boss don't have money for better computers), that's way im doing this OS. Also I wanna share the live cd on a website to download for free.

The project have everything except two things: a name, and a software to share my screen with the students and control the other machines, like: lan school or epotes or net support or insight, any of that options don't works on my system (even the epoptes linux version), the software need a client and a viewer (for multiple machine at same time)

PLEASE the system need that package for being complete, otherwise is just a EDUdistro without control

Thanks in advance

PD: any educational software you wan share for my puplet please post the link or the sfs or pet file, im going to put all the names of the helpers on the system.

***************** Features of the system (I will be edited this during development) *****************
---------------------------------------------

-Browser: Firefox and seamonkey (I'm testing with opera, chrome is discarded)
-Office: OOolight, the best performance has been on OOokids but has many limitations, OpenOffice was discarded by use of disk space and RAM (any other option you know please inform)
-Content wiki: dowiki, one of the main features of the system will be using a wiki educational content classified by age inside of the system with links to internet (supplemented with the website that is already being designed)
-Design:
3D = Blender
Bitmap = Gimp, mtPaint
Vector = Inklite
Any suggestion of design for kids is welcome , design is extremely important for computer science and get son fun to the class
-Classroom Management: .... italc "testing"
-Chemical Physics and Mathematics .... in progress ... with this i have no problem because packets from other linux distro worked perfect here in puppy just have to install and test, only classroom management has failed
-Video Editor: I am looking for an equivalent to camtasia, I've got some very good but the aesthetic is not nice and that could alienate some students
-Programming: qturtle, but i see one of a cat (I think it's skit or something) I tried it in windows and is very good and i know exist version sfs, when i finish the problem with classroom management i going to take some time to looking the cat again

Guidelines and limitations:

All programs must be graphics and no terminal codes, im working with children from 5-19 years (although could add content to the wiki for university level 17-21)

All programs should be free software and preferably designed to linux, I will include wine but only like last resource for teachers who are very attached to some software windows

The aesthetics of the system had to be as similar to windows xp / This is for the user who comes from windows (most students) do not feel out of place in a new system, you only notice the difference in better performance

Must satisfy any hardware and initial tests will be made in extreme conditions (Pentium III 256M ram) / Most educational laboratories have to work using very old machines and the constant complaint is the slowness of the computer under Windows systems

The system already has a name !! I will be revealed when i get the domain of the website this week

Contributors:
Galbi
nilsonmorales
LazY Puppy
peebee
Burn_IT
Last edited by guardemon on Mon 22 Dec 2014, 00:23, edited 5 times in total.

guardemon

Extra info

#2 Post by guardemon »

Lxpup Precise Retro 14.02
Linux 3,2

hardware:
Pentium III 256M ram (I said was very old) :P

LazY Puppy

#3 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

Regarding that you are a teacher and your computers are very old with low RAM I would suggest you to try LazY Puppy.

LazY Puppy is installed and used on 25 Computers at a Public School in Germany - Realschule Lemgo. Forum Member der-schutzhund is a teacher at the Realschule in Lemgo and has modified (just a little) LazY Puppy for the use at Realschule Lemgo as a replacement for Windows. He is using his version of LazY Puppy in classes from 7th Class to 10th Class.

I don't know exactly how and what he has done so far after I have published LazY Puppy, but I know, he has set it up for School Network with automated update of all the Computers used just when shutting down at the daily School's closing time - it takes just a few minutes.

On the very next day, all Computers are up to date for all the Kids using these computers.

He (der-schutzhund) wasn't seen for a long time here, but if you send a E-Mail to him at Realschule Lemgo or at der-schutzhund.de he (his Name is Wolfgang Schmidt) will send an reply and will help you - where ever he is able to do so.

LazY Puppy is designed for a straight modular use (using .sfs Modules instead of installing .pet files), so Applications are loaded only when they shall be used. After using the Program, the SFS Modules can be unloaded again.

This is very comfortable - especially when using older computers with low RAM!

There is also the LazY Puppy Repository containing more than 400 SFS Modules ready for a immediate use.

Also LazY Puppy has built in everything what's needed to create your own SFS Modules from .pet files or even from the Ubuntu .deb files easily. Just put them into a directory, do a right-click onto that directory and choose Combine to SFS (or similar).
Last edited by LazY Puppy on Fri 05 Dec 2014, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

peebee

#4 Post by peebee »

Hi there....

With a basis of zero knowledge but using Google.....

I would try:
http://italc.sourceforge.net/

Use http://pkgs.org/search/italc to download the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS components (i386 versions).

After installing, use Setup -> Check dependencies installed package
to see what dependencies need to be installed

Looks like from the "Require" on pkgs.org that you will also need (at a minimum) to add Qt4 and Python to LxPup-Precise.....

Good luck!!!

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

guardemon

that sounds great!

#5 Post by guardemon »

LazY Puppy wrote:Hi.

Regarding that you are a teacher and your computers are very old with low RAM I would suggest you to try LazY Puppy.

LazY Puppy is installed and used on 25 Computers at a Public School in Germany - Realschule Lemgo. Forum Member der-schutzhund is a teacher at the Realschule in Lemgo and has modified (just a little) LazY Puppy for the use at Realschule Lemgo as a replacement for Windows. He is using his version of LazY Puppy in classes from 7th Class to 10th Class.

I don't know exactly how and what he has done so far after I have published LazY Puppy, but I know, he has set it up for School Network with automated update of all the Computers used just when shutting down at the daily School's closing time - it takes just a few minutes.

On the very next day, all Computers are up to date for all the Kids using these computers.

He (der-schutzhund) wasn't seen for a long time here, but if you send a E-Mail to him at Realschule Lemgo or at der-schutzhund.de he (his Name is Wolfgang Schmidt) will send an reply and will help you - where ever he is able to do so.

LazY Puppy is designed for a straight modular use (using .sfs Modules instead of installing .pet files), so Applications are loaded only when they shall be used. After using the Program, the SFS Modules can be unloaded again.

This is very comfortable - especially when using older computers with low RAM!

There is also the LazY Puppy Repository containing more than 400 SFS Modules ready for a immediate use.

Also LazY Puppy has built in everything what's needed to create your own SFS Modules from .pet files or even from the Ubuntu .deb files easily. Just put them into a directory, do a right-click onto that directory and choose Combine to SFS (or similar).
im going to try Lazy Puppy in one of the machine to see the results and make the new distro, thanks a lot for the explanation!

guardemon

#6 Post by guardemon »

peebee wrote:Hi there....

With a basis of zero knowledge but using Google.....

I would try:
http://italc.sourceforge.net/

Use http://pkgs.org/search/italc to download the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS components (i386 versions).

After installing, use Setup -> Check dependencies installed package
to see what dependencies need to be installed

Looks like from the "Require" on pkgs.org that you will also need (at a minimum) to add Qt4 and Python to LxPup-Precise.....

Good luck!!!

Cheers
peebee
Hello and thanks for the answer, Italc was my first option but for some reason (probably the lack of libraries) the software do nothing on the system, one user from the spanish forum tell me something about download the q4 and test, so im going to do that in another machine just for test, if that works the system is done

peebee

#7 Post by peebee »

guardemon wrote:Hello and thanks for the answer, Italc was my first option but for some reason (probably the lack of libraries) the software do nothing on the system, one user from the spanish forum tell me something about download the q4 and test, so im going to do that in another machine just for test, if that works the system is done
Did a quick test with
http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages ... ripped.sfs
installed.

Then installed the 4 debs from pkgs.org

Seems to be working at a basic level anyway - type imc in a terminal to get the management console.

Some error messages about libcrypto so might need that updating??
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

Have you thought of using VNC?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Network_Computing

The packages are already there in Puppy.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

guardemon

#9 Post by guardemon »

peebee wrote:
guardemon wrote:Hello and thanks for the answer, Italc was my first option but for some reason (probably the lack of libraries) the software do nothing on the system, one user from the spanish forum tell me something about download the q4 and test, so im going to do that in another machine just for test, if that works the system is done
Did a quick test with
http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages ... ripped.sfs
installed.

Then installed the 4 debs from pkgs.org

Seems to be working at a basic level anyway - type imc in a terminal to get the management console.

Some error messages about libcrypto so might need that updating??

a very nice guy make a pet of italc for me on the hispanic forum!!!
but now i get this message when i going to install the qt4

Code: Select all

fatal:Failed to mount /root/downloads/qt-4.8.2 stripped.sfs on /mnt/root downloads qt-4.8.2 stripped.sfs
:cry: im sure is a noobie mistake from me

guardemon

#10 Post by guardemon »

Burn_IT wrote:Have you thought of using VNC?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Network_Computing

The packages are already there in Puppy.
vnc can be the last resource because i need to see multiple machines at the same time and the "multi viewer" of vnc don't works on my system (show something about a serial license) im sure some guy do something like that using vnc because i see the screen captures on google looking for software... if any other thing works im going to take that way, thanks for the comment.

btw looking for solutions i do some test on wine with "insight" and "lan school" and i can see all the machines of my lab (they have win xp with lan school) but i cant take control over them, i really don't want make a distro using wine for something so important like the classroom management but was weird see that :lol:

guardemon

Features of the system

#11 Post by guardemon »

I put the features of the system on the first post :D

Burn_IT

#12 Post by Burn_IT »

Look into that VNC licence thing.
Many packages are free for personal AND EDUCATIONAL use. It may be that it assumes that multiple is not personal and cannot detect that the use is for schools. It won't hurt to talk to them.

Have you tried Softmaker Free office??

nilsonmorales

#13 Post by nilsonmorales »

Suject to make test
This is italc compiled in retro precise
italc-2.0.2.pet
uses qt libs
no desktop entry, run via terminal
/usr/local/bin/ica
/usr/local/bin/imc
/usr/local/bin/italc
here a little explain how works.
Setup an iTALC client
----------------------

On clients you have to make sure that the iTALC Client Application (ICA),
is being started when either X is started or a user logs on.
There're several methods to achieve this (this is why it's not done
automatically when installing the package):

1. Add the appropriate command ("ica &") to /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc or
add an according desktop file to /etc/xdg/autostart.
This method isn't recommend, because ICA then runs with the user's
privileges -> the user is able to kill ICA and get out of teacher's
control.

2. add "ica &" to /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup. On some systems, this
doesn't take effect, so either edit /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup or
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsetup

You can easily test whether all is fine by running telnet on port 11100 of the
according compter.

example:

telnet 192.168.1.2 11100

You should see something like "RFB 003.008".

Setup iTALC authentication
----------------------------

iTALC uses a sophisticated authentication concept to make sure only
authorized persons are able to access computers using iTALC.

The security is achieved by data signing and -verification using a public and
a private key. Thus you have to create a key pair by invoking

imc -role teacher -createkeypair

which will create a key pair in /etc/italc/keys.

Now copy the directory /etc/italc/keys/public to each client. Make sure the
whole directory including subdirectories and files are readable but not
writable to normal users. If you have network shares (AFS, NFS, Samba etc.) it's
recommended to copy this directory to a network share, set the according
permissions and link it on each client to /etc/italc/keys. This way it's no
problem to generate a new key pair (e.g. if the private key was compromised)

Then (the most important thing!) make sure only the users which should be
allowed to use iTALC have (only!) read access to /etc/italc/keys/private
including subdirectories and files. In most cases you would have to create a
group "teacher", add all teachers etc. to it and set permissions, so that only
this group has read permissions.

Setup clients and classrooms (i.e. client groups)
-------------------------------------------------

Before using iTALC, you need tell iTALC which clients to access and how they're
grouped. For doing so iTALC has an easy to use client manager. After starting
iTALC, you can open it by clicking on the according button on iTALC's sidebar.

Now you can add clients and client groups using the context menu.

For installing the client configuration you made for other users, copy the
XML files in $HOME/.italc/ into directory .italc in every iTALC user's home.
You can also link the file 'GlobalConfig.xml' to one global client
configuration in a public network directory, so that you can change every
user's client config at once, if something in your network has changed (e.g. a
client was exchanged -> different MAC address).
Thanks.
[b][url=http://nilsonmorales.blogspot.com/]My blog |[/url][/b][b][url=https://github.com/woofshahenzup]| Github[/url][/b]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/5tz5vrrX/imag018la6.gif[/img]
[img]http://s5.postimg.org/7h2fid8pz/botones_logos3.png[/img]

guardemon

I DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#14 Post by guardemon »

Italc is working!!!!!
well at least i can opened, i have to connect with multiple machine to test

This was my mistake:
the QT Library qt482.sfs was on my download folder...

This was the totally obvious solution:
i put the file on root/tmp and..... WORKS :D

the software its now open

THANKS nilsonmorales for the sfs italc file

Now i have to :
1.- test the lazy puppy
2.- make a alpha test iso file
3.- include the wiki with educational content
4.- find how can open the italc automatically way on the startup for the students
5.- make a very pretty icon pack for the desk and wbar

guardemon

#15 Post by guardemon »

Burn_IT wrote:Look into that VNC licence thing.
Many packages are free for personal AND EDUCATIONAL use. It may be that it assumes that multiple is not personal and cannot detect that the use is for schools. It won't hurt to talk to them.

Have you tried Softmaker Free office??
i don't know that office version, its light? the OOolitgh its... ok, but i miss some things like some options for hyperlink on impress, also i can use the orthographic checker because don't have spanish dictionary, so im going to try that free office and any software recommended here

Burn_IT

#16 Post by Burn_IT »

It is very much a light MS office look and feel, more so than OO

guardemon

#17 Post by guardemon »

Burn_IT wrote:It is very much a light MS office look and feel, more so than OO
Softmaker Free office askme for a key... its not free? im testing one sfs from this forum

Galbi

#18 Post by Galbi »

guardemon wrote:
Softmaker Free office askme for a key... its not free? im testing one sfs from this forum
Older versions are Free in terms of ´don´t have to pay´ but the are not Libre Software.
You have to register in their web page, and they send an e-mail with the key, and sometimes announces of new versions but they are not invasive.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

guardemon

#19 Post by guardemon »

Galbi wrote:
guardemon wrote:
Older versions are Free in terms of ´don´t have to pay´ but the are not Libre Software.
You have to register in their web page, and they send an e-mail with the key, and sometimes announces of new versions but they are not invasive.
thanks for help me in all the languages :lol:

guardemon

#20 Post by guardemon »

Good News:

The project now have a name and a website

TINWOK

tinwok.com

Bad News
The lazy puppy don't get install on the computers of my lab

this is the profile of the machines of my lab

CPU
Intel Pentium III E
Coppermine 0.18um Technology Socket 370 FC-PGA
RAM
2 Slot
Type SDRAM
Size 128 MBytes
Max Bandwidth PC100 (100 MHz)

Motherboard
PCCHIPS M756LMRT (Slot-1 ) 28 °C

Graphics
CT720g (1024x768@60Hz)
2MB SiS 300/305/630/540/730 (SiS)

Storage
18GB Western Digital WDC WD200EB-00CPF0 (ATA)
3GB SanDisk Cruzer Blade USB Device (USB)

Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected

Audio
CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device

im looking for retro version of puppy for 256m ram