Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 26 Jan 2020, 17:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 14 of 58 [856 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ..., 56, 57, 58 Next
ETP

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:49    Post subject: Testing tahrpup64 6.0.3.8 beta k 3.14.45  

Testing tahrpup64 6.0.3.8 beta k 3.14.45
Hi 666philb,

Manual frugal install to fat32/f2fs 8GB USB2 stick with syslinux 4.04 boot.
Initial boot to desktop with working sound & ethernet. Nouveau driver with GeForce GT 610.
I do agree with LateAdopter's comments about performance but this is looking great.

The only minor issue is that the font on the clock is not responding to a point or weight change.
By default you have PupClockset-2.3 but installing 2.3.1 made no difference. I have not seen this
behaviour before but no doubt radky will be able to throw some light on it.
The following pets were installed & worked as expected:

PupClockset-2.3.1|PupClockset manager
    GetLatest64bitChromeVersion-V4|Get Latest Chrome Version
    PupControl-2.6|Control panel
    xdotool_3.20130111.1-3.1_amd64|no description provided
    VoiceControl_V1|Voice Control for any Pup
    PopcornTime-0.3.8.3-LINUX64-V4|Watch Movies and TV Shows instantly
    wbar_2.3.0-1_amd64-April64|A light and fast launch bar.
    PupSnap-2.5_Scrot-0.8_64Bit|PupSnap screen capture
    google-chrome-stable_current_amd64|Access the Internet

Chrome is worth a mention as it has been out of sorts recently. The latest version (45.0.2454.101 stable-64-bit)
issued on 24th Sept seems to have resolved most of the issues & is working superbly with this beta.

Leaving the best till last, I was ecstatic with the inclusion of shinobar's minidnla which I pointed at my video share.
(A posh name for a 32GB USB stick in the back of the box which is common to Win 8.1 Manjaro & all Pups)

I could not get it to work initially but then looking at the script realised that the conf file needed to be named
minidlnad.conf rather than minidlna.conf. It is either that or change the script slightly. Once working it
mounts the stick automatically & the "Tahr DLNA Server" with Tux logo pops up on the media server list of my Sony TV.
Obligatory screenshot follows: (F11 for full-screen)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_iVVJCd9q09TEZBYzJucXprS2M/view?usp=sharing

Kennels
radky

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep 2015, 18:12    Post subject: Re: Testing tahrpup64 6.0.3.8 beta k 3.14.45  

ETP wrote:
The only minor issue is that the font on the clock is not responding to a point or weight change.

Distro: tahrpup64 6.0.3.8
Window Manager: JWM vgit-1263

If I understand correctly, the XML configuration code of JWM changed significantly a few months ago (ca. vgit-1240).

The new code is not backward compatible with current JWM themes (in Puppy) and may return multiple errors when switching themes or changing font attributes of the tray clock.

Code:
JWM: warning: /root/.jwmrc-tray[2]: invalid autohide setting: "false"
JWM: warning: invalid action: "minixcal"
JWM: warning: /root/.jwmrc[324]: invalid tag in Active: Text
JWM: warning: /root/.jwmrc[325]: invalid tag in Active: Title
JWM: warning: /root/.jwmrc[329]: invalid tag in WindowStyle: Inactive
JWM: warning: /root/.jwmrc[342]: invalid tag in PagerStyle: ActiveForeground
JWM: warning: /root/.jwmrc[343]: invalid tag in PagerStyle: ActiveBackground
JWM: warning: /root/.jwmrc[350]: invalid tag in MenuStyle: ActiveForeground
JWM: warning: /root/.jwmrc[351]: invalid tag in MenuStyle: ActiveBackground
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[8]: invalid tag in Active: Text
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[9]: invalid tag in Active: Title
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[13]: invalid tag in WindowStyle: Inactive
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[23]: invalid tag in TaskListStyle: ActiveForeground
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[24]: invalid tag in TaskListStyle: ActiveBackground
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[43]: invalid tag in PagerStyle: ActiveForeground
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[44]: invalid tag in PagerStyle: ActiveBackground
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[58]: invalid tag in MenuStyle: ActiveForeground
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[59]: invalid tag in MenuStyle: ActiveBackground

The following link provides additional information:

https://github.com/joewing/jwm/issues/166

Edit:

Prior versions of JWM supported the "Clockstyle" XML tag which enabled changing clock-font attributes (font name, size, weight, style and color) independent of font attributes in other segments of the tray.

Unfortunately, the Clockstyle tag is not supported in recent releases of JWM. Specifically, the clock will inherit the global font attributes of the entire tray.

For example, applying large and bold font attributes to improve visibility of the clock could appear as follows:
image-1.png
 Description   
 Filesize   57.11 KB
 Viewed   1157 Time(s)

image-1.png

01micko

PostPosted: Sat 26 Sep 2015, 01:57    Post subject:  

Here is my loop to fix old jwm config files. (see edit below)

Code:
for i in `find . -type f -name '*jwmrc*'`;do
   echo "fixing $i"
   cp $i ${i}.old
   xsltproc /etc/jwm-2.3.xslt ${i}.old > $i
   [ $? -ne 0 ] && "fixing $i faled"
   rm ${i}.old
done

For best effect run it inside of each known location of jwm config files.This may not cover them all.

You also need this file in /etc <-- http://www.joewing.net/projects/jwm/xslt/jwm-2.3.xslt

YMMV!

EDIT: hmm... doesn't seem to work very well in this jwm version. It did work on v2.3.0 but a fair bit has happened since then (including the clock font bug @radky; well I consider it a bug that you can't change the clock font.)

radky

PostPosted: Sat 26 Sep 2015, 10:26    Post subject:  

Hi 01micko,

Support for the ClockStyle configuration option was removed from developmental releases of JWM effective 2015-07-04, and was officially absent in JWM 2.3.2 (released 2015-09-13).

If I understand correctly, the ClockStyle tag is supported in JWM 2.3.1, released 2015-06-28.

666philb

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep 2015, 10:51    Post subject:  

live wrote:
To hassle 666philb a bit more before RC Smile

If you could kindly update:
pfind 6.1 > 6.2 (update OK)

At boot no Internet connexion box, contrary to tahr32

Ffmpeg lacks some enablings like the frei0r for Kdenlive, etc, these ffmpeg builds are working
http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

Regarding devx_tahr64_6.sfs
* gcc 4.6.4 > 4.9.3 or 4.8.5
* Python 2.7.6 > 2.7.10
https://hg.python.org/cpython/raw-file/15c95b7d81dc/Misc/NEWS
* glade 3.8.0 > 3.8.5

Thanks

hi live,

pfind will update pfind next build.

frei0r plugins are a setup separate package available in the ppm

i did try adding gcc 4.8 but failed,spent too much time on it and gave up... will look into it again next build as more and more packages require a newer gcc to complete.

glade & python i'll stick with the versions in the repos to maintain compatibility

666philb

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep 2015, 10:55    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
666philb wrote:

i believe it's about 16hours old as of this post.

Are you running the merge2out script from within the git repository folder or you download a tarball or the repo?
In the first case the last line of the DISTRO_SPECS in your "woof-out_x86_64_x86_64_Tahr64" folder should have
Quote:
BUILD_FROM_WOOF='testing;5d7af9c;<date> <time>'

I guess you do not, since there is no ubuntu/tahr folders within the /woof-CE/woof-distro/x86_64 folder. You may want to add it sooner rather than latter. there is no need for Tahr64 to get "finalized" to do this. Wink

i just downloaded the tarball..... will add the build recipe soon

666philb

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep 2015, 11:07    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
01micko and 666philb,

Because I am using the Tahr_kernel.4.1.7.tar.xz that 01micko made.
I am not sure if you want me to report any problems I may have.

You tell me? Confused

hi bigpup,

yes definitely report.... the kernel in tahrpup64 isn't set yet, I've just used the 3.14 as it boots to a desktop for me where as 4* ones don't. i would like to go with the latest 4* kernel and will look into missing firmware as 01micko suggested.

666philb

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep 2015, 11:12    Post subject: Re: Performance Issues  

LateAdopter wrote:
Hello 666philb

I am trying to track down some performance problems with Tahr64. I have solved one.

1) Tahr64 is slow loading the desktop during boot and slow loading VLC. In both cases, if I exit and rerun without rebooting, they are quick. So I deduced that it must the slow extracting files from the base SFS.

I re-squashed the base SFS with the mksquashfs default block size and these options:

-noappend -comp xz Xbcj x86

That fixed the problem.

Code:
                            Original (524k)      Resquash (131k)
Total Boot                    21                            17

Desktop load                  6                              3

VLC load                      5                              2

I don't claim any precision for these times, but it is about twice as fast.

2) The backing store issue, I can't find where to put -bs

This issue was found a while ago on Fatdog. The story is that the xserver backing store was broken and disabled for a long time. Then, some bright spark decided to mend it and enable it by default. Not only that, but you can't disable it via xorg.conf the -bs has to be on the command line that starts X.

The backing store is bad for GPUs without hardware compositing support ( i.e. more than about 3 years old) and bad for video playback. I don't know what it is good for!

In Fatdog it is disabled in xserverrc:

Code:
#!/bin/dash
F_XSERVER_PID=/tmp/xinitrc-Xserver.pid.$USER   # used by wmexit
echo $$ > $F_XSERVER_PID
#exec X "$@" -bs +accessx -nolisten tcp > /tmp/xerrs.$USER.log 2>&1 #use this line instead of the one below for accessibility.
exec X "$@" -bs -nolisten tcp > /tmp/xerrs.$USER.log 2>&1

I can't find the equivalent place where X is started in the maze of scripts that make up a Puppy.

Do you have any idea where it is, so that I can get my video playback working properly in Tahr64.

Many thanks for building this Puppy.

EDIT:

I found out what to do. It is necessary to create .xserverrc if it doesn't exist. So I just copied the Fatdog one, which had the desired effect.

hi LateAdopter,

what's the size difference between the original and re-squashed sfs?

did you have to change fatdogs. xserverrc at all? .. I'll add it to the next build if it betters performance

LateAdopter

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep 2015, 14:26    Post subject: Re: Performance Issues  

666philb wrote:

hi LateAdopter,

what's the size difference between the original and re-squashed sfs?

did you have to change fatdogs. xserverrc at all? .. I'll add it to the next build if it betters performance

1) The original is 190MB and the resquashed one is 201MB

I think the logic behind the default block size is that: a block, the dictionary & executable code will fit in the 512kB per core L2 cache that is typical of a lot of quad core processors. My Athlon II x2 240 has 1MB per core but still four times the default size won't fit.

So the tradeoff will depend on the processor and what media the file is being copied from.

2) .xserverrc: I should say that I don't know much about what the system should be. I hope someone who does can explain.

In Tahr64 X gets "-br nolisten tcp" from somewhere, but I can't work out where it gets them from. It's command line, in tahr64 is:

Code:
X :0 -br -nolisten tcp

So with the fatdog .xserverrc it had -nolisten tcp twice on the command line.

I edited the .xserverrc down to this:

Code:
#!/bin/dash

exec X "$@" -bs

With that the command line became:

Code:
X -br -nolisten tcp -bs

That worked OK but the :0 that defines the display has gone missing. Since I've only got one, it didn't matter.

Since fatdog has user management, it has the script in /etc/x11 and a link in the users home directory. I just put the script in /root/

Disabling the backing store did not fix the performance problem I was looking at, though.

VLC 2.2.1 in tahr64 won't play my test video, without skipping. It's a 1080i50 H.264 recording from Eurosport HD that I recorded some years ago when Eurosport was temporarily in clear. It peaks at about 16Mb/s

The test is H.264 decode + YADIF 2x deinterlace both in software.

Fatdog has been able to play it using VLC since fatdog 520, and still can with VLC 2.1.5.

I have checked through the xorg.log, CPU and GPU power management, and everything looks normal.

So I have to assume that the problem is a defect of VLC 2.2.1 and not Tahr64.

The only other noticeable difference from Fatdog is the idle cpu load. In tahr64 it's about 3% whereas in Fatdog it's about 0.3%. Maybe one of the background tasks is stealing too much CPU time from VLC.

I think I'll try installing MPV, if I can remember how to add a Launchpad PPA to the package manager.
slackfan

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep 2015, 15:50    Post subject:  

Hi
I have some problems using the actual tahrpup64 ...-8 beta:

a. the function menu > jwm window manager settings >> tray management >>> tray autohide option >>>> ON:tray autohide on

does not work: the tray autohide stay "OFF" (my tray is on top because of xrandr -o left, option that I often need to print out land maps and other picture in landscape format because needing to have enough resolution to read the names of streets Wink xrandr -o left allows a step more of zoom and it is often enough to allow or not that those names appears!). as mTpaint opens on top of screen you work with the cursor in the corner on top of screen! as the screen is turned by 90 degrees, the commando bar is right of screen and the change of position is terribly difficult as the mouse logic does not follow at all the changes made with xrandr -o left! try yourself! consequence: the bar has to be on top where the apps opens Idea )

b. menu > mouse keyboard wizard > advanced configuration >> ok (why this supplementary menu doing nothing Embarassed ?) >>> layout variants does not work!

c. .jwmrc includes:

Code:
<StartupCommand>
for i in $HOME/.config/autostart/*.desktop;do if [ -f $i ];then xdg-open $i;fi;done
</StartupCommand>

what is the function of this command?

d. if i try to continue adding following text after above startup command (also a second block of startup commands!):

Code:
<StartupCommand>
mount /dev/sda9 /mnt/sda9
frisbee &
ln -s /mnt/sda9 /root/big &
ln -s /root/big/my /root/my &
setxkbmap us intl &
</StartupCommand>

item 2,3 and 4 are executed, but items 1 and 5 no. why not?

is in tahr64 an other place available to add such start commands?

kind regards
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep 2015, 16:35    Post subject:  

ntfs-3g update for the initrd.

I have compiled this in slacko64 but it is linked statically against Landleys Aboriginal (woops, NOT musl-libc) so the fact that it's built in slacko64 does not matter. It is designed for the initrd but can be tested in the main system. Once I get 3 positive tests I'll commit it to woof (and also build 32 bit).

To use in the initrd you have to crack open initrd.gz and find the ntfs-3g inside /bin and replace it with this one, rebuild initrd.gz and then make a save file on an ntfs partition. If that fails then there is a problem!

To use in the system, backup the the installed version (likely in /bin) and add this one to /bin. See if you can write or edit a file in an ntfs partition. If that fails we have a problem!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

@slackfan

Things like mounting should go to /etc/fstab

links can go to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Others can go to /root/Startup
ntfs_3g-2015.3.14-static64.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  ntfs_3g-2015.3.14-static64.tar.gz 
Filesize  228.48 KB 
Downloaded  134 Time(s) 

slackfan

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep 2015, 03:18    Post subject:  

thank you 01micko!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=865543#865543

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=865500#865500
slackfan

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep 2015, 15:26    Post subject:  

the actual pdf viewer seems don't to work. error msg:

Quote:
qpdfview: error while loading shared libraries: libQtDBus.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep 2015, 18:35    Post subject:  

/usr/share/doc/installation.htm. missing.

This is called by hitting button installation introduction webpage on the first window of Puppy Installer.
capture23991.png
 Description   
 Filesize   23.49 KB
 Viewed   659 Time(s)

capture23991.png

mavrothal

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep 2015, 23:43    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
/usr/share/doc/installation.htm. missing.

This is called by hitting button installation introduction webpage on the first window of Puppy Installer.

This is not or ever was in woof!
Where is it coming from in Tahr-6.0.x ?

Page 14 of 58 [856 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ..., 56, 57, 58 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: