Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 04:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 54 of 55 [818 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 52, 53, 54, 55 Next
version2013

PostPosted: Wed 17 May 2017, 21:26    Post subject: Re: a few issues  

gyro wrote:

version2013 wrote:
SFS-Load version numbers differ.
Yes, I noticed that. That's why I asked the other questions, to try to sort out where the old version of sfs_load could be comming from.

Have you tried running the "sfs_load" contained in your "puppy_tahr64_6.0.6.sfs" directly?
You can click on "puppy_tahr64_6.0.6.sfs" and then select "View contents" to access the files inside it. Then navigate to "usr/sbin" and click on "sfs_load" to run it.

gyro

I checked again, this time with a definite fresh frugal install, and from the sfs file you mentioned.
The "sfs_load" is version 3.

I failed to remember that I tried to get 'puppy_tahr64_6.0.6' to work correctly with my laptop keyboard. I also failed to document exactly what I installed, apart from a version of 'xinput' from the PPM [1].
Unsure how the 'sfs_load' file was overwritten with an older version.

Sorry for the mistake.

Although I still am not sure why my keyboard has issues with 6.0.6.

[1] Puppy Package Manager
][V][

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017, 22:07    Post subject: How to remotely shut down tahrpup 6.0.5 64 from windows 7?
Subject description: How to remotely shut down tahrpup 6.0.5 64 from windows 7?

Hi people,
I need help,
I will try to write as much helpful information as possible and try to keep it short too,

home network, one linksys router with dd-wrt, one windows 7 64, one PBO media player, one tahrpup 6.0.5 64, all cat5e hard wire, no wireless

tahrpup is been installed to 8gb flash drive, boots up and runs from there

Everything works fine, samba running, all machine are able to see each other and send and receive files,

win 7 is the main machine with internet connection, I blocked media player and tahrpup internet accesses from the router as I don't need them to have internet connection,

the way things work is;
I usually send some media to tahrpub and media player grabs those media to play, basically tharpup acts as server or like NAS, (no need to use tahrpup for any other purpose, no mouse or keyboard or monitor)

everyday in the morning I will turn on the tahrpup and media player and use them all day and I also set the tahrpup with schedule so it will atomically shut down every night at 2 am

Now, sometimes I don't need the tahrpup to be on all the way to 2 am so I thought what if I could just remotely shut down tahrpup whenever is needed from main windows machine,

so I went and tried to find out what do I need and what do I have to do in order to achieve what I want,

telnet and openssh was discovered from searching the net, went true several forums on internet try to find out how to get, install and run them,

nothing worked for me, first I find out for some reason I can not install anything from pupy package manager, always get error: there is no space on drive

(before doing that I already gave temporary internet accesses to tahrpup)

so tried to get telnet and openssh offline , installed both of them and tried to start and run them, don't work, nothing starts, I get error from terminal when I try to start the daemon saying the sbin folder or file or directory dose not exist, even I just installed them and confirmed success installation

I think maybe I get all these errors because the tahrpup is installed and running from a USB flash drive and not an actual hard drive, I don't know for sure

In the beginning could not even ping to tahrpub, I found out its because of firewall, could not find a way to give rules to firewall (tried all suggestion and command code, none worked), so I basically disabled the firewall from startup,

its been more than two weeks that I spend time on this and no solution, I am very frustrated and all I want is to be able to shutdown tahrpup from windows when ever is needed, I mean its very basic and simple task,

At this point I really don't care if its telnet or openssh or any other method, I just want to be able to shut down tahrpup in a very simple way remotely,

I hope all this information is enough for anyone with a solution for me, thank you all in advance.
Sed
James186282

PostPosted: Sat 03 Jun 2017, 23:15    Post subject: SOLVED My USB 3 Problems with tahrpup64.  

Around Christmas I posted a problem with USB 3 on a PCI VIA card. I tried reading through all the complaints on other systems OSs and pretty much drove myself crazy for a while and almost gave up.

Anyway for the first time in a long time score one for the guy who is always asking the dumb ass questions and not hunkering down and figuring out things himself.

So my machine is an AMD Desktop box that started as a Dimension E521 but has been modified with the fastest available AMD CPU and has a huge power supply and a relic *NVIDIA card a Wifi Card and the VIA usb 3 card. * so I can have a second monitor (In portrait mode) The portrait monitor is a typical DELL landscape type that I modified to sit sideways. And for editing text its really nice. arandr script in startup flips it. It probably sounds like junk because thats how I got it. Someone was throwing all of this except the VIA 3 USB card into the trash.

The solution after trying a lot of things was to change one line of my menu.lst file that I use to boot the machine. All I did was add acpi=strict and all the dmesg errors about xhci_hcd not accepting addresses and command rings failing went away and the damn thing blazes away at USB3 speeds at long last on my external hard disc drive. Mentally picture a guy doing the happy dance.

kernel /vmlinuz psubdir=/ pfix=fsck acpi=strict pkeys=us vga=ask

I have created an almost crazy large (20 to 30K) heavy on the comments menu.lst file that might be of value because... when everything else failed I looked at the known acpi options in my comments and came up with that one to try. If anyone is curious or wants to see what OCD perfection issues looks like Wink just ask and I'll paste it in a message or if someone has some space to store it?

James186282

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jun 2017, 15:43    Post subject: Re: SOLVED My USB 3 Problems with tahrpup64.  

James186282 wrote:
Around Christmas I posted a problem with USB 3 on a PCI VIA card. I tried reading through all the complaints on other systems OSs and pretty much drove myself crazy for a while and almost gave up.

Anyway for the first time in a long time score one for the guy who is always asking the dumb ass questions and not hunkering down and figuring out things himself.

So my machine is an AMD Desktop box that started as a Dimension E521 but has been modified with the fastest available AMD CPU and has a huge power supply and a relic *NVIDIA card a Wifi Card and the VIA usb 3 card. * so I can have a second monitor (In portrait mode) The portrait monitor is a typical DELL landscape type that I modified to sit sideways. And for editing text its really nice. arandr script in startup flips it. It probably sounds like junk because thats how I got it. Someone was throwing all of this except the VIA 3 USB card into the trash.

The solution after trying a lot of things was to change one line of my menu.lst file that I use to boot the machine. All I did was add acpi=strict and all the dmesg errors about xhci_hcd not accepting addresses and command rings failing went away and the damn thing blazes away at USB3 speeds at long last on my external hard disc drive. Mentally picture a guy doing the happy dance.

kernel /vmlinuz psubdir=/ pfix=fsck acpi=strict pkeys=us vga=ask

I have created an almost crazy large (20 to 30K) heavy on the comments menu.lst file that might be of value because... when everything else failed I looked at the known acpi options in my comments and came up with that one to try. If anyone is curious or wants to see what OCD perfection issues looks like Wink just ask and I'll paste it in a message or if someone has some space to store it?

O O P s
It only made it work once in a blue moon. Still looking for a solution to this VL80x PCI card not working. BTW I'm using an AMD machine. The initial error reports timeout while waiting for setup address command. I've searched the web and see the problem but mostly with no responses. Anyway I will continue on. Maybe this is a good time for me to finish work on my Midlife Crisis-mobile Ha Ha

bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jun 2017, 15:53    Post subject:  

installing Chrome browser via quickpet will corrupt Tahrpup64.
See this topic for info:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110740

jangelelcangry

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jun 2017, 08:04    Post subject:  

First off, late congrats for this distro. I really like it. Smile
Does anyone here is aware of the Pulseaudio only requirement/bug that leaves most sites muted?
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661
I can browse sites but if there's sound, it's almost assured that you can't hear it because it will appear a message at the top of the screen saying that firefox requires pulseaudio.
capture32407.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  capture32407.png 
Filesize  39.47 KB 
Downloaded  26 Time(s) 
watchdog

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jun 2017, 08:48    Post subject:  

OscarTalks has provided an apulse pet:

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/apulse-0.1.10-x86_64.pet

Try to install it in tahr64 and report here. There is a thread about firefox and pulseaudio, too.
jangelelcangry

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jun 2017, 11:01    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
OscarTalks has provided an apulse pet:

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/apulse-0.1.10-x86_64.pet

Try to install it in tahr64 and report here. There is a thread about firefox and pulseaudio, too.

Thanks watchdog. It works now. I'll report later if there's anything breaking something.
Now we're a step closer to penguin domination. Very Happy
tony

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun 2017, 06:02    Post subject: Use with Skype.  

Hi,

I installed the apulse pet and got better loudspeaker volume on Skype. But now my microphone is not detected.

A bit of Deja Vu from Microsoft?

Regards Tony
artsown

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jul 2017, 14:29    Post subject:  

Has anyone managed to get waterfox working on tahrpup64? If so,
please describe what you had to do.

Art
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jul 2017, 16:11    Post subject:  

Hello Art,

Latest Waterfox is 54.0.0.1 and unfortunately it does not run in Tahr64 (or Slacko64 6.3.0) because the libstdc++ version is too old. You might need to use a later Puppy or run an older Waterfox.

artsown

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jul 2017, 16:57    Post subject:  

Thanks Oscar. I was just curious, since waterfox works fine on both
xenialpup64 7.0.8.5 and slackopup64 6.9.9.9

Art
jangelelcangry

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul 2017, 02:23    Post subject:  

here are my issues so far:
minor
*Can't open .magnet files without workarounds.
*Can't open directories in transmission.
*Can't open some files from Firefox/Palemoon
*Online play for Red Eclipse is impossible because it can't auto update itself.
*Steam tray icon is buggy.

Severe issues
*System crashes or becomes unstable after using it for a few hours.
*Firefox and Palemoon are displaying garbage text or no text at all.
*In some cases/systems, Opening Firefox for the second time will crash the entire system (This happens in Debian too)
*VLC sound cuts ater a few milliseconds.
*Firefox videos stopped working after applying the pulse-audio fix a few days later.

Might update this list later
When these issues are not present, this is one of my favorite operating systems ever.
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul 2017, 04:11    Post subject:  

Need to state how Tahrpup64 is installed.
On what device.
What format.
Firefox what version.

A lot of what you are having problems with is classic issues with:
bad install of Tahrpup.
Bad format (file system corrupted)
Save corruption.
Low memory.

I would try a fresh format of the partition.
Fresh new install of Tahrpup64.

How you did the install could be an issue.

jangelelcangry

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:35    Post subject:  

@bigpup
*The installation is frugal saved in the folder
*the file system is EXT4.
*Cpu: Core i5 2500
*RAM: 4GB 1333 2x2
*GPU: XFX AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB Reference design using the FGLRX driver.
*MB: Asrock H61M U3S3 connected to the SATA II (3Gbps) port.
*Pale Moon Version: 27.3.0 (64-bit)
*Mozilla Firefox Version: 54.0.1 (64-bit)
*The filesystem might be bad due to a improper shutdown or the HDD might be on it's way out.
*Low memory? I don't think so. I ran Tahr and slacko5.7-6.0 in a 1GB system and it behaves differently. Once I close Firefox on the 1GB system, it will run normally. the timed stability issue is when i close all the applications the system will become unresponsive, mount will be really slow and unresponsive for example. Maybe a bad HDD. I've saw system with 2 HDD's even if the host HDD is good if the other HDD is bad the system is gonna wait for the HDD to respond. Similarly like when you connect an external hdd to a computer.
I'll try first by deleting the Tahr64 save folder. If the problem persist after a week or more, I'll format the drive.

I don't mind the minor issues mentioned.
Page 54 of 55 [818 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 52, 53, 54, 55 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: