tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#811 Post by bigpup »

Now that I do not have to guess at what you have for memory.
Low memory is not your issue, unless you got a memory stick going bad.

If you boot Puppy from something other than the hard drive.
Hard drive cannot be mounted to do this.
Run Gparted.
Right click on a unmounted partition.
Select check.

It will do a file system check and correct anything it finds wrong. Basically checking the format, which is the file system.

The recent versions of Firefox have been a little buggy with Puppy versions, they do require some much newer support files/programs that the Puppy version may not have.

With Firefox it seems to be a moving target what is needed to run Firefox. Just when you get everything setup, they change some dependency requirement.

That was one big reason to offer Tahrpup with PaleMoon browser. The developers of PaleMoon are not constantly trying to require the latest and greatest in support files/programs.
So far, all you do is update PaleMoon with the PaleMoon- updater and it just works.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jangelelcangry

#812 Post by jangelelcangry »

@bigpup
Well, It didn't worked.
Time to nuke.
That was one big reason to offer Tahrpup with PaleMoon browser. The developers of PaleMoon are not constantly trying to require the latest and greatest in support files/programs.
No wonder Why Firefox feels considerably heavier release after release.[/img]
Attachments
capture9702.png
Corrupt firefox example
(41.93 KiB) Downloaded 332 times

rufwoof

PaleMoon updater and Spot

#813 Post by rufwoof »

Tahr 6.0.6 amd64 woofCE'd.

At initial setup I set palemoon to run under userid spot. Set up bookmarks and add in's, all running well and restricted to /root/spot ... later used the menu, internet, palemoon updater to upgrade PaleMoon from 27.1 to 27.4. After upgrading and starting palemoon - all the boomarks and add-ins ... all gone !!!

Ran lsof -i to try and see if palemoon was still running as spot ... and found lsof is the busybox limited version, so installed lsof from puppy package manager and lsof -i indicated that palemoon was running as root.

Running Menu, Setup, QuickSetup first run settings ... and palemoon ticked as running under spot. I had to untick that and set it as running under root and then re-tick it again and set it to run under spot ... for the change to be recorded. Now starting palemoon and running (in a root terminal) lsof -i indicates all is well (palemoon running under spot) and bookmarks/addins all back to how they were before.

Looks like the palemoon updater needs to have additional code to reset it to be running under spot after a palemoon upgrade (if it was previously set to run under spot)

Bird Dog

Tahrpup64 6..0.5 CE

#814 Post by Bird Dog »

Hi jangelelcangry where did you get that driver for your AMD Radeon (reference design) video card?
Frugal Xenialpup 64, Bionicpup 64 save folder on core2 quad Q6600 2 gigs ram, AMD 6 core 4 gigs ram. Frugal Xenialpup 32, Bionicpup 32 save folder on P4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, Dell P4 Celeron 2.4 ghz 1 gig ram

rufwoof

Re: tahr64-6.0.6 running smoothly with kernel 4.9.15

#815 Post by rufwoof »

belham2 wrote:Just wanted to give you a heads up, over the past week I've been running Tahr64-6.0.6 (latest woof-CE build + Phil's latest updates/additions, i.e. latest JWM + radky's FbBox-4.0) with kernel 4.9.15, and it all runs smoothly as far as I can tell.
I woofce'd 6.0.6 selecting the 4.1.11 kernel that offered ... and the fonts were awful. Re-woofing (again using all the defaults) but selecting the 3.14.79 kernel and the fonts are beautiful. Whilst past EoL I'm sticking with the nicer look for the time being.

rcrsn51

Re: tahr64-6.0.6 running smoothly with kernel 4.9.15

#816 Post by rcrsn51 »

rufwoof wrote:I woofce'd 6.0.6 selecting the 4.1.11 kernel that offered ... and the fonts were awful. Re-woofing (again using all the defaults) but selecting the 3.14.79 kernel and the fonts are beautiful. Whilst past EoL I'm sticking with the nicer look for the time being.
Curious that changing kernels would affect font rendering, unless it has something to do with the video driver provided by the kernel?

rufwoof

#817 Post by rufwoof »

Curious that changing kernels would affect font rendering
Surprised me also. I wouldn't have thought that but for first having woof'd 32 bit default choices and used a old kernel, to then woof the 64 bit with a later kernel and seeing distinct differences in font quality. I suspected it was differences between the 32 bit and 64 bit versions, but for the next and most recent woof I went with 64 bit and that earlier LTS (now past eol) stable kernel.

I have a GT8600 Nvidia card (with 32" 720p TV as the monitor), but in each case I haven't installed nvidia - just left things with the default system handling (nouveau/mesa ??).

I tried all sorts of configuration with the 4.1.11 kernel version, autohint, hinting on/off ...etc. But no matter what I did the fonts were blurry(ish). With 3.14.79 ... no problems.

Both kernels were as per what woofCE offered/provided (as per the pick one off around 20+ kernel choices screen).

Weird.

rufwoof

#818 Post by rufwoof »

woof'd 6.0.6 with 3.14.79 kernel, and if I boot with pfix=ram,nox ... it still loads X.

If I boot with xforcevesa nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0 kernel boot parameters (as I don't know which one actually does the business), the font appearance in that X session is very much like what I was seeing with the 4.1.11 kernel, which makes me think that 4.1.11 is perhaps missing nouveau/mesa modules/whatever.

jangelelcangry

Re: Tahrpup64 6..0.5 CE

#819 Post by jangelelcangry »

Bird Dog wrote:Hi jangelelcangry where did you get that driver for your AMD Radeon (reference design) video card?
Here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/d ... 4&rev=15.9

for some reason, when I install the quickpet driver, run the aticonfig --initial command it breaks my system.
I'm starting to suspect that aticonfig--initial is not necessary with this driver.

jangelelcangry

#820 Post by jangelelcangry »

Now I found 2 more issues not present before:
* Virtualbox doesn't work anymore
* I can't find slimjet on quickpet or ppm.--- fixed. Quickpet was outdated.
Sorry for complaining so much.

rufwoof

#821 Post by rufwoof »

SneekyLinux reviews Tahr 6.0.5 64bit ... 5 out of 5 (but did note problems with installing nvidia and pulseaudio). Also outlines (near the end of the longer than his usual videos) a possible £100/$120 hardware shopping list that could go well with Puppy.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

watchdog

#822 Post by watchdog »

rufwoof wrote:SneekyLinux reviews Tahr 6.0.5 64bit ... 5 out of 5 (but did note problems with installing nvidia and pulseaudio).
I do not understand mother tongue english. I have to say that I have had success using pulseaudio in tahr64:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 004#957004

Allthough it is only for testing purpouse.

jangelelcangry

#823 Post by jangelelcangry »

Anyone having problems with SFS-Load unloading everything after restart?
Any fix?

thinkpadfreak

#824 Post by thinkpadfreak »

jangelelcangry wrote:
> Anyone having problems with SFS-Load unloading everything after restart?

Are you using tahrpup64 6.0.6? If so, I am afraid, the problem occurs under certain conditions.

> Any fix?

Are the extra sfs's put in the psubdir?
Then how about putting them outside the psubdir?

As another fix, shinobar proposes sfs_load-3.0.3.pet
http://shinobar.server-on.net/puppy/opt ... -3.0.3.pet

It will load the sfs's which are in the psubdir.

bigpup

#825 Post by bigpup »

Anyone having problems with SFS-Load unloading everything after restart?
Is restart a reboot of the computer or just a restart of SFS-Load?
YaPI(any iso installer)

jangelelcangry

#826 Post by jangelelcangry »

thinkpadfreak wrote:
Are you using tahrpup64 6.0.6? If so, I am afraid, the problem occurs under certain conditions.
Yes.
thinkpadfreak wrote: Are the extra sfs's put in the psubdir?
Then how about putting them outside the psubdir?
I don't know what psubdir is but what I know is that the SFS Files are loaded from root directory.
bigpup wrote: Is restart a reboot of the computer or just a restart of SFS-Load?
It's a reboot after saving the session, rebooting again, running bugfix and installing DevX or other SFS from quickpet or downloading them from ibiblio.
Attachments
capture30569.png
This is another error I got even if I haven't loaded any other SFS.
I'll try the SFS load pet too.
(12.41 KiB) Downloaded 1282 times

bigpup

#827 Post by bigpup »

All additional sfs packages need to be located in /mnt/home.
The programs that load and unload additional sfs packages expect them to be in that location.
So, /mnt/home is the place to put them.

Why?
/mnt/home is outside of the Puppysave.
The sfs packages are just on the partition, not inside a directory.

So, put all the additional sfs packages in /mnt/home and see if you are still having problems.
YaPI(any iso installer)

jangelelcangry

#828 Post by jangelelcangry »

bigpup wrote:All additional sfs packages need to be located in /mnt/home.
The programs that load and unload additional sfs packages expect them to be in that location.
So, /mnt/home is the place to put them.

Why?
/mnt/home is outside of the Puppysave.
The sfs packages are just on the partition, not inside a directory.

So, put all the additional sfs packages in /mnt/home and see if you are still having problems.
They are already on /mnt/home. I always place them there in case I delete the save session ( e.g. FGLRX breaks the system)
when you install an SFS from quckpet, the SFS files are sent directly to /mnt/home and when you load them from another directory SFS-Load will ask you to move it to mnt/home.
Attachments
capture1765.png
(17.35 KiB) Downloaded 1175 times

bigpup

#829 Post by bigpup »

What format is the partition Tahrpup64 6.0.6 is installed on?
Are you using a save file or save folder?
How much memory in computer?

Anything you may have done just before having this sfs load problem?

SFS Load is working OK for me.

Note:
I am using a different kernel source, because I changed kernel to one different than what comes in Tahrpup64 6.0.6
I have it using kernel 4.9.15.
Attachments
capture26299.png
(18.3 KiB) Downloaded 1150 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

jangelelcangry

#830 Post by jangelelcangry »

bigpup wrote:What format is the partition Tahrpup64 6.0.6 is installed on?
Are you using a save file or save folder?
How much memory in computer?

Anything you may have done just before having this sfs load problem?
EXT4
Save folder
HDD: 50.5/55.9GB
RAM 8GB 7.75GB according to htop
other than format the partition and start over again nothing.