how to beautify the desktop ?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nodo

how to beautify the desktop ?

#1 Post by nodo »

Hi pup_users,

I've been quietly using diff Puppies for quite some time. The reason that you don't see me on forums is that, unlike many of you, I am a common linux user/ not a programmer. So when you're discussing some geekie- I only read your thoughts and try to follow.

Recently I tried a simple task to beautify the desktop, but failed to :( The idea is simple - to visually improve JWM right-click menu (right on desktop) and a panel. I’m a fan of lightweight WMs: jwm, flux, openbox etc What I mean? To picture my idea, pls look at, say, crunchbang flux/openbox concept: no icins/clear desktop, nice right-click menu, nice tint2 panel:

1) So what I did was - went to different files (one by one) and tried to configure them (I read instructions inclosed). But see NO result :(

So (i.e. I’m on precise 5.7. right now) my path is like: ~ .icewm/menu --> usr/bin/fixmenus --> etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc. I want to change the appearence, the naming, maybe the icons but I can NOT see the outcome:(

* right-click on the screen - 1st MENU pops-up, you choose there -> the other menu follows. Now we can make even 3 menus (like the mentioned two, plus the third one - transfer some items from 2nd menu to 3rd one,); we can change the naming in menus; we can delete(!) all words in 1st menu leaving only beautiful icons there, that's it – to have just a slicky 1st menu with nice icons and no words; and 2nd and 3rd menus modify as we like. That would look really nice. Anyway, I couldn't do anything in those files; I couldn't even find the 2nd popup menu commands there – to try and change them. Needless to mention icons in 1st right-click menu – where and how to find them, to begin with?

2)My second task was to make that ugly panel (bottom one) look nicier: make it, say transparent, change the dog-face on a super-key, rearrange stuff or better – make it DISappear to pop-up only when I point my cursor there: quite standard option today. But I can NOT do that: there are strange options inbuilt: only color and style differ.

Bottomline:
guys, could you come up w your suggestions on HOW TO make changes in our beautiful puppies? I mean 2 abovementiond points.

Hope to hear from you soon. Oh yeah... and don't forget to include these changes in your upcoming releases - our little puppies will bark 'big advertised distros' unconciously : ) Our puppies are mighty; what they lack is a bit of style to bite :)

nodo

rufwoof

#2 Post by rufwoof »

In Slacko 5.3.3 my /root/.jwmrc-tray content looks something like

Code: Select all

<JWM>
	<Tray  autohide="false" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" border="1" height="42" >
		<TrayButton label="" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/go48.png">root:3</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="Apps" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/mini-book1.xpm">exec:/root/Apps/AppRun</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="xvkbd" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/xvkbd.xpm">exec:/usr/bin/xvkbd</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="magnifier" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/magnifier.png">exec:/usr/bin/xpaint -magnifier</TrayButton>
	        <TaskList maxwidth="25"/>
		<Dock/>
		<Swallow name="xload" width="48">
		xload -nolabel -bg "#DCDAD5" -fg red -hl white
		</Swallow>
		<Clock format="%H:%M %b %d">minixcal</Clock>
	</Tray>
</JWM>
Note the autohide option (mine is set to not autohide)

After changes to jwmrc-tray - in a terminal (console) run the two commands

fixemenus
jwm-restart

and the changes should be seen
Attachments
tray.jpg
(9.72 KiB) Downloaded 400 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Nodo, you started two threads in the forum on the same subject. That's bad form. If anyone wants to continue this discussion, the other thread is here.