smtube wont work (SOLVED)

Booting, installing, newbie
emegra

smtube wont work (SOLVED)

#1 Post by emegra »

Hi guys

I'm new to Puppy but not new to Linux in general, I've installed Tahrpup to an old HP laptop to see if I can make it usable and frankly I'm amazed at the speed it runs with Tahrpup it's transformed this old laptop.

However video streaming ie youtube is a problem which is no more than I can fairly expect with only 256mb ram, but it did work smoothly in smtube on the very rare occasions it worked, now it's not working at all when I try to play a video I get "Unable to retrieve youtube page", searching online leads me to believe I need an updated version of smplayer, but I have no idea how to get installed as it seems it's only available as an ppa and I don't know how to add a ppa in Puppy also I can't find a .pet or .deb package.

Can anyone tell me the best and easiest way to get the latest version of smplayer installed on this laptop or any way I can get it to work with the version I have which is 0.8.6

Any help would be much appreciated

Graeme
Last edited by emegra on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

dejan555

#2 Post by dejan555 »

Try this one smtube-2.1-i686.pet

I assume you already have qt if you had smtube working (maybe not, not sure if all versions used it) but here's the link for sfs:
qt-everywhere-opensource-4.8.2-i686_487.sfs

Both packages supplied by Billtoo for dpup487 but it should work on Tahrpup too
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

if you come to a dead end get a browser mp4 you tube downloading add on...its doing the same thing basically and you can use any media player.

mike

emegra

#4 Post by emegra »

Hi dejan

Thank you for the help, unfortunately the smtube package you posted wont load at all, I've tried completely un-installing the version I installed from quick pet then installing your package on it's own but nothing opens up, I also tried installing your package with the quickpet version installed but it just opens up with the old version of smtube.

I think the problem is with smplayer and not smtube because if I enter a youtube URL directly into smplayer I get the same error message.

Hi mikeb

Thanks for your input but the reason I wanted to get smtube to work was on the rare occasion it did work it played video quite smoothly whereas if I try to play video in my browser it's unwatchable, I know I'm asking a lot of 256mb ram and I wouldn't persue this if I hadn't seen it work so well, also I installed Tahrpup on my main PC running Peppermint and it had the same problem and adding the smplayer ppa and installing the latest version fixed it

Graeme

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

Well I was suggesting downloading the mp4 and playing it with say vlc or mplayer...can be done while streaming and you get full screen smoothness on me pentium 3 bunnies.

As for smplayer must be dependency or version problem...run it from the terminal command prompt and it will advise why you are inadequate :D

mike

666philb

#6 Post by 666philb »

hi emegra,

i managed to get smtube working again on tahrpup ....
install the latest http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 0_tahr.pet

i also needed some extra steps....

open the PPM, type certificates into the find box and install 'ca-certificates_20130906' and dependencies

finally open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

update-ca-certificates
smtube should now hopefully work :)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

Ah so we have to be certified to watch stuff :D

Those certs crop up now and then so handy to have the updates generally.

mike

emegra

#8 Post by emegra »

Hi Guys

That's working perfectly thanks to 666philb's instructions

Just one down side , which is I've lost the download feature, is this something that's been removed in the latest version or is there a way I can get it back ?

Many thanks

Graeme

666philb

#9 Post by 666philb »

i've re-uploaded it at the link above.

the .pet has the new smplayer and old smtube with the record option
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

emegra

#10 Post by emegra »

Sorted

Thanks so much to all who took the time to help

It's much appreciated

Graeme

sindi

smtube cannot find the URL

#11 Post by sindi »

This evening smtube started telling me it is not possible to load the URL. I switched linux versions, and then computers, and then tried version 17 of smtube (for ubuntu 12 - with lucid puppy, but not 18 for ubuntu 14 with tahr puppy), and then the latest cacert.pem.gz.

Am I the only one with problems?

Also pale moon even with the line about obsolete in about:config changed from false to true will only play at 360p.

Did youtube break something again just now?

I can test various youtube downloaders from a browser but smtube was so much more convenient. I have not yet tried youtube-dl.

backi

#12 Post by backi »

Hi sindi !
Seems Youtube changed some code!Annoying .
Think the only thing one can do is just wait.

If you have Mpv-Player and youtube-dl installed .......
following works .......

Follow my instructions .....
1.open Smplayer- Smtube .
2. look for your Videos to play
3. right mouse-click on your Video to select
4.Menu>choose >open with Mpv+youtube-dl
5. Wait a few seconds
Should work .....so it does for me .

Please report back.

Regards !

sindi

mpv for smtube

#13 Post by sindi »

Lucid puppy does not offer mpv package.

I had added smtube binary and libraries and cert.pem to lucid and wary.

I can download with youtube-dl directly and probably then play with mplayer.

Youtube was working okay until early evening yesterday except at 720p it was out of sync so I tried to add -framedrop to mplayer at which point nothing worked and I thought it was some bug related to editing.

Last night after smtube broke I could still play 360p videos with youtube in palemoon (but no other resolutions). Today (on another computer) I cannot play youtube at all in palemoon. Vidmate still works on android.

sindi

youtube-dl

#14 Post by sindi »

Have you used youtube-dl in the past two days?

I may have goofed, but when I tried to manually download a file I get:
'Invalid parameters'.

movgrab used to work on everything.

I have a Droid X phone with hdmi output that I think I can hook up with hdmi-to-DVI adapter to watch on an LCD monitor. With headphone jack as line out and vidmate to avoid ads.

Youtube works in Firefox 45.8 ESR (with all the expected resolutions).
At least today. Firefox non-ESR requires newer gtk libraries than lucid has.
But Firefox uses more memory. Palemoon works in 512MB RAM. They will catch up with youtube eventually.

Smtube works on slower cpus/gpus.

backi

#15 Post by backi »

Hi sindi !
Indeed mpv must be installed .
Yes i tested Method described above just 1 minute ago .
I did it with Xenial Dog and Bionic Dog ........it works for me when using Smtube >open with Mpv+youtube-dl .

But maybe sooner or later there will be a hack that makes watching Youtube Videos with Smplayer/Smtube working again .(Rather less resource hungry on older computers )

Regards !

sindi

youtube broken

#16 Post by sindi »

Youtube works with seamonkey 2.46 (old), which is borderline usable in 512MB. CPU usage in seamonkey shot up to 105% when I clicked on the javascripted link to this discussion. And this is my newest (2009) fastest laptop. I am stuck with Firefox for awhile - or are there other alternate browsers that work with Lucid puppy and youtube?

I wonder what youtube cannot find in smtube and palemoon. Maybe they are just not on youtube's whitelist.

A youtube downloader used within a browser only seems to work in systems where you can already play youtube in the browser.

norgo

Re: smtube cannot find the URL

#17 Post by norgo »

sindi wrote:This evening smtube started telling me it is not possible to load the URL. I switched linux versions, and then computers, and then tried version 17 of smtube (for ubuntu 12 - with lucid puppy, but not 18 for ubuntu 14 with tahr puppy), and then the latest cacert.pem.gz.

Also pale moon even with the line about obsolete in about:config changed from false to true will only play at 360p.

Did youtube break something again just now?

I can test various youtube downloaders from a browser but smtube was so much more convenient. I have not yet tried youtube-dl.
Don't panic!

youtube code has changed once again, that's why you didn't get a connection.
SMtube and SMplayer has been fixed.

Please note that you will need version 18.1.0 of both components.

sindi

SMtube 18 for lucid or wary puppy?

#18 Post by sindi »

I found smtube 18 only for Ubuntu newer than 12 (which is what Lucid Puppy is based on).
Is there a precompiled version that would work with Lucid 2016? If not, what libraries need to be updated in Lucid?
Or will someone volunteer to compile it?
My lucid 2016 has Libc 2.11.1.

sindi

libQt5 libraries needed for latest Smtube 18.1

#19 Post by sindi »

Where do we get the libQt5 libraries needed for the latest smtube 18.1, which I found precompiled for Ubuntu 14? Or is there a version some place with them compiled into the binary?

souleau

#20 Post by souleau »

I am on Puppy Precise with FF 45.0.2, and whenever I go to YT now the browser freezes.
So now I go to tubeunblock.me instead, which loads just fine, then, when I watch a video, I copy the link, switch tubeunlock.me for youtube.com in the link and then download it with youtube-dl.

A bit of a hassle I must admit, but it works.