Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 05 Mar 2015, 12:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Hard drive problems
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
nic007

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec 2014, 08:33    Post subject:  Hard drive problems  

I have two IDE hard drives. A WD which according to BIOS is the Primary drive and is also the boot drive. The second drive is a Maxtor and according to BIOS is the slave drive. The machine boots quickly so I reckon the hard drive configurations must be correct. The second drive drive however is starting to fail so i disabled it in Windows' hardware section but the drive is still installed. Still, the machine boots quickly. I now want to replace the faulty drive but am running into problems doing so. Removing the faulty drive and replacing it with a second hand drive (which is also a WD and same capacity as the primary drive) results in none of the drives being detected in BIOS. Even when I try to manually detect it in BIOS it does not detect.. So I remove the second drive to see what happens and the boot drive gets detected after a longish delay and then boots. When I re-install the faulty drive, everything is as before and the machine boots quickly with both original drives being detected. Any ideas?

Edit: more info. The originial WD which I am booting from also has my Operating systems. It has a jumper and it is set to "master with slave" The second hand hard drive which I want to install, has no jumper and in this state should be recognised as a master drive according to the sticker on the drive. I want to use the latter drive for storage of data only. What would be the best way forward setting up the hard drives in this scenario?
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec 2014, 11:04    Post subject:  

Quote:
"master with slave"

had exactly the same problem with this setting ........ seems like its a bit of a propriety thing..there is a sort of logic to it but not an obvious one.

was a while ago so memory flaky but think I went for straight master .... then again I might have had to use cable select.... I may have even had to set to master AND use a cable arrangement it likes. I would have to go in the case to see what I did..... plus it was only so that I could copy off the contents of the failing drive.

Suggetions...try all options....

mike
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec 2014, 11:14    Post subject: Re: Hard drive problems  

nic007 wrote:
The second hand hard drive which I want to install, has no jumper

Are you saying that it has no jumper pins, or that the little jumper block is missing?
nic007

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec 2014, 12:01    Post subject:  

The jumper block is missing. Anyways, it seems as if the second hand drive which has no jumper block is also no good anyway because I disconnected the other drive completely and only connected the second hand drive without the jumper block which should then work as if master (according to the sticker on the drive). BIOS recognises this drive after quite a delay, gives the details but then gives a hard disk failure message. I disconnected the jumper block on the original disk (which has one and was set to master with slave) and only booted this drive and it works but with a delay. I've now returned to how the setup was before (the WD with my operating system and jumper block set to master with slave) and the Maxtor drive which I wanted to replace as slave. Interesting thing is that this Maxtor drive does not have a jumper block either and the machine boots fast again - but now I have encountered some sort of a video adapter problem suddenly. The monitor colour is a blueish tint, don't know what happened to red. Crying or Very sad
Sylvander

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec 2014, 13:22    Post subject:  

1. WD PATA HDD jumper settings are somewhat special & different to other HDD's.
I believe they used to be jumpered as "Master with Slave", and "Slave with Master".
Looks like they've now changed the terminology slightly.
Or you might instead set both to "Cable Select".
In both cases, the master should be on the end connection of the "Primary Controller" IDE cable, and the slave on the mid-cable connection.

2. You need to look on the web for the WD recommended settings for your HDD models.
e.g. WD Caviar Blue, and choose model.
e.g. WD3200AABB has "Dual (Master)" & "Dual (Slave)" jumper settings.
You are attempting to use DUAL WD drives [both connected to the Primary IDE controller?], one as master [with the boot flag set on the boot partition (the 1st on the drive)], the other as slave [no boot flag should be set on any of its partitions].
PANZERKOPF

PostPosted: Tue 23 Dec 2014, 02:19    Post subject: Re: Hard drive problems  

nic007 wrote:
"master with slave"

IIRC this option is needed for very old HDDs. Set your primary drive as "master" even
secondary (slave) is connected in same cable.

Burn_IT

PostPosted: Tue 23 Dec 2014, 08:50    Post subject:  

Some drives have the jumper block on the bottom rather than the end.

Just in case that helps........

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: