Tahr 6.0 CE remastered with XAMPP & ZoneMinder 1.28

Using applications, configuring, problems
rockedge

Tahr 6.0 CE remastered with XAMPP & ZoneMinder 1.28

#1 Post by rockedge »

I have compiled ffmpeg 2.5 and zoneminder 1.28 (the latest from GitHub) in taphr 6.0 CE running in XAMPP 5.6.3-0 and remastered a OS with everything working. The current .iso is currently 592M. The ffmpeg is needed by zoneminder to generate video segments from Events. Every thing works EXCEPT I can not make a save file at first reboot but the OS will use and save to an existing save file for tahr 6.0. I am having trouble passing the needed new user mysql

Code: Select all

adduser -H  mysql
and the needed symlink

ln -s /opt/lampp/var/mysql/mysql.sock  /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
to be included in the remastered iso.

can someone please throw out some help so I can finish a totally working Tahr 6.0 CE running a completely working ZoneMinder 1.28? This project is almost there! I am learning how to make a custom OS, so 592M is a beginning , perhaps it can be made even smaller!

Any help will be hugely appreciated!
Final note: I thought UPUP 3.9.9.2 was great but Tahr 6.0 CE is really a masterpiece!

Main Download :tahr60-zone128_stable_v3.iso 496M (stripped Devx):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By2RUs ... sp=sharing

UPDATE: download tahr60-zone128_pae.ISO 592M (complete Devx):https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By2RUs ... sp=sharing
Last edited by rockedge on Wed 07 Jan 2015, 11:59, edited 12 times in total.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Well I am not sure of the current state of the remaster script.... it used to offer the opportunity to change items in /etc...needed for your modified passwd and shadow containing the mysql user.
May also need copies of group and gshadow too...

/var may not be an option...I think I added that so could be tricky for your symlink.

there are other remaster scripts floating around.... one might be useful

Mike

rockedge

#3 Post by rockedge »

Thanks Mike for the tip. True the re-master script does allow a modification to /etc. I am not sure which file(s) I need to add or modify in the new /etc. This makes sense now where to look. I am thinking a script maybe to create the dir /var/run/mysqld and then make the symlink when the system is in the first boot configuration. Maybe. But for sure the way to pass the user mysql is a big step forward. Now to figure out why the LiveCD will not make a save file..

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

The files I mentioned get modified in /etc when you add a user.

If you compare before and after you will see.

Mike

rockedge

#5 Post by rockedge »

Yes I did exactly that and made an .iso then burned a DVD and booted into the OS opened a console and used

mkdir /var/run/mysqld
ln -s /opt/lampp/var/mysql/mysql.sock  /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
XAMPP and ZoneMinder run perfectly.
the .iso for some reason ballooned to 1153 M so now some adjusting and set default passwords I should have a good Puppy Tahr with ZoneMinder LiveCD.

Thanks again Mike, your help immediately pointed me to the right place.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

thats scary...anything beyond 130MB and my toes curl up.

You might have included some temp files in there...browser cache... or what about the size of the sql database(s).... gdmap tool is great for finding out why things get bigger than expected.

mike

rockedge

#7 Post by rockedge »

I got the size down to 592 M for the ISO file. Burned a copy to DVD, booted into the OS. Then installed it to a 4 G flash drive partitioned and formated as ext2. then I was able to make a save file. Everything seems to be working well. I am going to see if I can shrink it some more.

If any one is interested in having Tahr 6.0 CE with a fully functional ZoneMinder v1.28 and ffmpeg v2.5 I could upload the .iso file someplace and provide a link for download.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Pop it in the derivatives or projects section of the forum ....

a working XAMPP would be reason enough.

How big is tahr as your additions are not that big at a guess...?

Mike

musher0

#9 Post by musher0 »

And we are providing a clone of the the poor girl because... ??? :twisted:
As my medieval friend Ockham says below my sig... :twisted:

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

rockedge

#10 Post by rockedge »

musher0 wrote:And we are providing a clone of the the poor girl because... ??? :twisted:
As my medieval friend Ockham says below my sig... :twisted:

musher0
Why? It started while looking for a way to stream cameras pointed at fish tanks easily for the Trout in the Classroom Project run by Trout Unlimited.
http://www.cttrout.org/troutintheclassroom.html. After a lot of experimenting with BroadCam from NCH Software and some other types of Windows junk I went basic and streamed with ffserver-ffmpeg combo. All this is not really suited for kids in school ranging from elementary through High school. So ZoneMinder being Linux based and Open source (FREE) and when setup correctly is rock solid stable in Puppy Linux, UPUP 3.9.9.2 for example has run ZoneMinder in an installation non-stop for 352 days. That on a old IBM Thinkpad T40 with no hard drive. So I thought if I could have a complete Linux OS with XAMPP and ZoneMinder on a LiveCD that can be easily installed with a save file or just run would be the bees knees. Also must be able to fit on CD-ROM as well as a DVD. with as little configuration as possible for such a system. Plus it has proved to be a popular idea amongst friends and others to provide an easy full featured camera security system that can run with the Pack and not only pee with the Puppies. Just load ,boot and run. That is the reason.

Plus it is way for me to learn how to remaster and more about Puppy Linux.

rockedge

#11 Post by rockedge »

mikeb wrote:Pop it in the derivatives or projects section of the forum ....

a working XAMPP would be reason enough.

How big is tahr as your additions are not that big at a guess...?

Mike
tahr 6.0 CE.iso 199M
devx_tahr_6.0.sfs 114M

so XAMPP 5.6.3-0 and zoneminder 1.28 are around 279M
Yes I will provide a download in the forum section{s} you recommend.

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

Ah ok so you have the dev remastered in... if so it should be ok to leave it out.

My last xampp was around a 60MB ..been a while.

Forum notifications playing up again....

mike

rockedge

#13 Post by rockedge »

mikeb wrote:Ah ok so you have the dev remastered in... if so it should be ok to leave it out.

My last xampp was around a 60MB ..been a while.

Forum notifications playing up again....

mike
When devx is removed zoneminder will not run. ZM Uses perl modules and perl libs that are included. Also FFMPEG v2.5 is installed to allow zoneminder to build videos from selected events and recordings.

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

Ah ok...so puppies incomplete perl rears its annoying head....

Always seemed silly to me to add the devx for the sake of a few megs...same goes for python. Yes indeed you could slim that down.... or the reverse approach...take the perl from the devx.

I usually use slax which includes perl as standard so forget these limitations.

mike

rockedge

#15 Post by rockedge »

Slax you say? ahhhh perhaps I could work something out there. I have not done much with Slax but the PERL being built in sounds like a meg saver.

here is a download link for the current version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By2RUs ... sp=sharing

Your suggestion on removing the just the PERL from the devx sounds like a way to reduce the overall size of the .ISO which at present is 592M. I could reduce some of the Python perhaps. I have some extra stuff in there for the ease of use to control XAMPP. There I definitely have some room for improvement.

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

Well if you only have the devx for its complete perl makes sense to me....

unless there is a perl package to add.... but it might be more confusing that way knowing which ones to add.... like python it all gets a bit fuzzy.

Perl is the perl binary and libs and the modules....

Could click and mount the devx sfs and drag out what you need until it works...

mike

ally

#17 Post by ally »

mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

Might be a little hasty ally ...don't think he has finished yet...hoping to trim it down. Don't want to use up yer space....

mike

rockedge

#19 Post by rockedge »

Could click and mount the devx sfs and drag out what you need until it works...
Exactly what I am going to try. ZoneMinder needs several perl modules installed. DBD::mysql , LWP::UserAgent , Date::Manip , DBI , Sys::Mmap, URI::Encode and POLKIT libs. I will jump in and give it a try to extract only the perl modules needed to run zoneminder. I can also attempt to use the PERL installed in XAMPP, which hasn't worked yet in previous builds.

The project is almost complete. It works as is, though work continues, to shrink the overall size and fix some small bugs in the zoneminder css in the montage view of multiple monitors. This may be a zoneminder bug since I used the latest source code from Github...but I am looking for the fix in the meantime. The montage view works well in version 1.27 so I may make an ISO featuring 1.27 instead of 1.28 since it is a stable release and does not require POLKIT shrinking the overall size as well.

dancytron

#20 Post by dancytron »

Just a thought, ignore me if you are already ahead of me.

Maybe get it all set up to work.

Then unmount the devx file.

Then remaster it.

Then see if it works if you remount the devx file.

Then unmount the devx file and try to get it to work by installing the individual perl modules and other libraries. When it works, then remaster it again.