Can stealing be a moral act?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Enrique Corbellini

#1 Post by Enrique Corbellini »

I was told since I was a boy: «you never will be stealing anyone, no friend, no family, no neighbor!»
But though my parents opinion, today we have lots of people with their wifis standing for nothing, only showing how modern they are.
I have a Nokia Lumia 925 mobile, working under the horrible Windows. I had no choice, this stuff came together with the mobile telephone contract that my country offers. But then, I have the possibility to give it to a child to play (and I hope he'll break it as soon as possible) keeping the mobile chip with me, and buying another telephone... and here is where I may need some help.

I believe the perfect situation would have been to have puppy linux software working on mobiles... but since that doesn't exist, my hope is to find some linux working on some mobile. And since many people has WiFi around me, have a good program to find their passwords. In fact, I see that this so generalized, because even inside this garbage called Lumia 915, there are at least 2 applications to hack neighbor´s WiFis... with the only problem that this applications are bad and cannot really work excepting for very specific brands.

So I’ll appreciate suggestions to choose a correct mobile, that uses free software, and free enough to modify it as necessary, with the help of a community. Do you know anything like this?

gcmartin

#2 Post by gcmartin »

What exactly are you "stealing"? There is a difference between
  • takiing something that is damaging from someone, and
  • using something without damaging without their knowledge
....morally speaking.

An example to what I share

As a boy I/we use to cut thru another property on the far backside of their property line. By doing so we hopped the fence, walked to the other side and hope out. We did NOT take anything nor damage anything, unless you consider the ground under the trees we walked on in the unmaintained area.

Did we commit a moral crime? Man-made crime yes, but moral crime....NO!

I do recognize that others may see this as something extreme, but, it would be interesting; 'when is a word associated with criminal intent be used in a moral fashion???'

This may not get you the answer that you seek, but, maybe something for thought.

As for your request for a mobile OS that you can modify to your delight, I would offer the old Palm which may be still around in Public space (P2P), Amazon Fire, Mozilla is creating one, Ubuntu's, and others which provide developer tools to address what you would desire on a mobile platform to allow "moral stealing".

Just thoughts!

ardvark

Re: Can stealing be a moral act?

#3 Post by ardvark »

Enrique Corbellini wrote:I believe the perfect situation would have been to have puppy linux software working on mobiles... but since that doesn't exist, my hope is to find some linux working on some mobile. And since many people has WiFi around me, have a good program to find their passwords. In fact, I see that this so generalized, because even inside this garbage called Lumia 915, there are at least 2 applications to hack neighbor´s WiFis... with the only problem that this applications are bad and cannot really work excepting for very specific brands.
Hi...

No, this would not be a "perfect situation." Stealing from anyone is wrong, including hacking into other people's wireless networks! There is nothing moral or right about it. What you are considering is a violation against your neighbors and their (and their provider's) service and/or property and causes you both harm, economically, physically and/or spiritually. God speaks of this (stealing) in the Bible many times. Please see here as well. God has a much better plan for you than that! I know...for years before I came to the Lord, I stole from Microsoft by installing illegal copies of Windows on other people's computers (from a copy burned onto a blank CD.) My rationalization at the time was, "[expletive] them! They get plenty of money!" :(

Why not just pay for your own service or use a public hotspot where it's legal? :wink:

Regards...

P.S. From your statement, "lots of neighbors having wifi and not sharing it," I get the impression that you feel like this is something that is owed to you. If that's the case, why?
Last edited by ardvark on Thu 11 Dec 2014, 23:21, edited 4 times in total.
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

LazY Puppy

#4 Post by LazY Puppy »

Probably, from the point of a thiefs view! :evil:
lots of neighbors having wifi and not sharing it.... mmmmh....
Lots of my neighbors owning very nice and very expensive bicycles - AND NOT SHARING IT! :evil:
I was told since I was a boy: «you never will be stealing anyone, no friend, no family, no neighbor!»
So there has been some well minded civilized people around you, and you DIDN'T LEARN ANYTHING from these people. :evil:
But though my parents opinion, today we have lots of people with their wifis standing for nothing, only showing how modern they are.
Well, most of those of my neighbors who are owning very nice and very expensive bicycles do ride these bicycles just a few days per year in the summer time. Of course they are only showing how much money they own, being able to buy such expensive bicycles. :evil:
And since many people has WiFi around me, have a good program to find their passwords.
To find/crack passwords of other people is a criminal act! :evil:

To ask people to join into doing/preparing to find/crack passwords of other people is probably the first step to get involved into (or to create) some sort of criminal connection or even terroristic organization. :evil:

If you would live in the United States probably the HomeLand-Security would have already knocked on your door and putting you directly into jail without ever seeing a court or a judge! :evil:

Let's assume you are successfully have moralic stolen the wifi ports of some of your neighbors. :shock:

What comes next? :?: :?: :?:

Downloading thousands tons of illegal copies of music and movies and afterwards let your neighbors move into jail - after Sony or another Company did knock on the doors of your neighbors? :evil:

Really!!!

People, minded like you are showing herein, do SUCK!!!
People, minded like you are showing herein, should be banned from the web generally!!!
People, minded like you are showing herein, should be NOT allowed to own and use digital devices!!!
People, minded like you are showing herein, at least should be removed from this here Forum!!!

It's just disgusting, what you are offering/asking here !!! :evil:

Edit:

We, as a part of the Open Source Community, should take Open Source not only for to get Software for free. We, as a part of the Open Source Community, shold take Open Source as well as some kind of a statement!

Something like:

We do recognize propriatary Software, Music and Movies as well as we do recognize the rights/ownership of those who did create these propriatary Software, Music and Movies (and any else digital or non-digital products). But we don't want to pay for it and therefor we don't want to use it. That's why we do choose to use and own Open Source and/or Free Software, Music and Movies!

At least that's how I do take Open Source. 8)
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

bark_bark_bark

#5 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Using an open wifi to download music or movies from 'pirate' sites: fine, there is nothing wrong with it.

Using an open wifi to collect other people's passwords: you have broken the law and you should give yourself up to the police.

LazY Puppy

#6 Post by LazY Puppy »

bark_bark_bark wrote:Using an open wifi to download music or movies from 'pirate' sites: fine, there is nothing wrong with it.
This is really an ignorant and stupid statement!

That pirate sites IS the wrong with it, since you do NOT own the rights to upload and/or download Software, Music and/or Movies that aren't Open Source, Free or created by yourself!

Except you would have paid for it (to download ONLY).

Please, fellow Puppy Members: do recognize the rights/ownership on Products that you didn't create by yourself.

You even won't make a copy of your Girlfriend to upload to share with others!

Or would you -if it would be possible- give permission to others to do things like that?

Of course, NOT!

---

Ok, finished and done!!! :evil:
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

bark_bark_bark

#7 Post by bark_bark_bark »

LazY Puppy wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote:Using an open wifi to download music or movies from 'pirate' sites: fine, there is nothing wrong with it.
This is really an ignorant and stupid statement!
You're the ignorant one for saying that. It is not stealing. anyone who thinks it is stealing, is a total idiot.

Stealing is going into a store and taking something without paying for it (unless your friend pays for it right there).

downloading a music album off the internet is making a copy of a copy (the one that was shared), that is a copy of a copy (the one sold by copyright cartels), which is a copy of the original (the one sent to be copied for sale in stores. If you bought you have a RIGHT to share it for free.

The only time when it crosses the line is when you make money off of doing so.

EDIT: If you are making money off of somebodies work without permission, you should think about giving it to the artist (not the label the artist is enslaved to).

LazY Puppy

#8 Post by LazY Puppy »

If you bought you have a RIGHT to share it for free.
No, you don't!

If you are buying a car, yes, you can share it with your friends or neighbors.

But in that case -if you have given it temporarily to one of your neighbors/friends- YOU CAN'T USE IT as long as the your friend/neighbor doesn't return it to you.

Just because of a product is digital and therefor being able to be copied, doesn't include the right to spread it all over the world by buying and paying only/just one copy!

What will your local car producer company like Ford or General Motors say, if the chinese guys did just buy one of them cars and afterwards spreading millions of copies all over the world - for the half of the price -or even for free- of the original?

Or better asking: what will your government say about such criminal economic acting?

I'm convinced, if such a country would be small enough and not able to return military action that will harm the US, your government will sent out the US Army!

You are the dummy, you are the real IDIOT!

Stupid little boy:

- did you ever spent years to learn to play an musical instrument?
- did you ever spent weeks/months/years just to complete/finish one single musical composition?
- did you ever spent hundreds/thousands of dollars/euros to pay the recording artist inside a professional musical recording/production studio?

No!

You never ever did!

Otherwise you would not make such stupid postings! :lol:

I would be careful by doing such stupid postings since you are already living in the Land of the Homeland Security!

Stupid little BOY!

Edit:

The slavery of musical artists by being enslaved through major labels is a completely different story and absolutely NO REASON to spread illegal copies of music all over the world.

You want to give music away for free, that you have had paid for?

Just give it away as a gift - without to hold a copy at your side!
RSH