Netflix

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Sylvander

#16 Post by Sylvander »

1. I now have Chromecast working on Chromecastpup...
See this post reporting success.

2. Tried using my son's Netflix account.
Logged in OK, but none of the movies I tried to run would succeed in playing.

3. Will try now try Netflix within "tahr-6.0-CE_PAE frugal installed to a 4GB Flash Drive", and report back.

4. OK, now working within "tahr-6.0-CE_PAE frugal installed to a 4GB Flash Drive".
DISABLED THE PUPPY FIREWALL.
Ran Chrome, installed the "Google Cast" extension within Chrome, powered on the "Chromecast" dongle down at the TV, clicked on the "Google Cast" icon at top right and chose the "Livingroom" "Chromecast" device, went to www.netflix.com, signed in, chose a film, started it playing, clicked the "Google Cast" icon, and the film began playing on the TV.
Have paused it while I post this reply, and until my wife has finished making her yummy trifle, so we can watch the movie together. :D

LoboGrande

Works in Precise Puppy 5.4.3

#17 Post by LoboGrande »

I got it to work in 5.4.3 following Sylvander's steps. I tried to get the Chrome 38.pet to install in Lucid but no luck. Maybe somebody with some major .pet kung-fu could do it.

Wognath

#18 Post by Wognath »

Scabz, thanks a lot for the packages. No more Error code M7063-1913! Now running in Tahr. I hadn't used Netflix for nearly a year because Silverlight always froze up XP after about 1/2 hour :x

gcmartin

Netflix and VPN use

#19 Post by gcmartin »

Lil_humpers

Netflix

#20 Post by Lil_humpers »

What versions of Puppy will Netflix work with?

It works on LX Precise retro versions 14 & 15

Tried it in LX Wheezy but will not work. I do run Lucid and Saluki too but I know Netflix will never work on them because only Google Chrome 25 will work on Lucid 5.28 006 and Saluki can only run Google stable 12

Wognath

Netflix new format [solved]

#21 Post by Wognath »

Hello,
I have been using Scabz's pet and upgrades along with Google Chrome 39 to watch Netflix since January. Now, Netflix has a flashy new menu format which locks up when I try to browse for episodes. (It still plays movies ok.) Has anyone else had this problem? Found a solution? Thanks.

Edit: got GC-43, no change. Called Netflix to ask if one can revert to the old interface. No.

EDIT/update: my system is an oldish MSI 32-bit netbook with dual-core 1.6GHz atom processor, 1G of memory and 8G swap partition, running Unicornpup. It worked well until the new format came on line in late June.
Adding another G of memory did not help.
Tried Tahr: same behavior.
Tried Slacko: it displays the menus and episodes ok, but won't show the movies (Error code M7063-1913 = out-of-date or incompatible nss libs, I think)
Tried Precise-retro. This works, that is, it doesn't hang up browsing the new netflix menus and it plays the movies :D

cthisbear

#22 Post by cthisbear »

Working with Netflix after adding newer Chrome Pet.
Bottom post.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 437#863437

Chris.

Sylvander

#23 Post by Sylvander »

a. See THIS POST for the Slimjet web browser.
I'm using the "slimjet-4.0.15.0-slack14.0.sfs" in "Slacko-5.7.0-pae", and it appears to be working well and giving me a functioning Netflix.

b. Here's the instructions I sent my son:
Go to:
1. https://www.copy.com/s/t%3AgF9dHT29oq4lolpc%3Bp%3A%252Fslimjet
2. And download file named:
slimjet-4.0.15.0-slack14.0.sfs
Actually, the file that is downloaded is named "slimjet.tar".
Download it to a convenient folder of your making or choosing, then...
3. Right-click the file in Xfe and click "Extract to here". [Or your own alternative method]
There will be more files unpacked than are needed.
You only need the SFS file named "slimjet-4.0.15.0-slack14.0.sfs", since in my opinion it's best to load this SFS "on-the-fly" than use the PET file to install.
Once the files are unpacked, you can delete all but the "slimjet-4.0.15.0-slack14.0.sfs" file, then...
4. move this file to /mnt/home [the root folder of your Flash Drive's partition, that holds the slackosave.4fs file].
5. Now you can use "Menu->Setup->SFS-load on-the-fly" to choose "slimjet-4.0.15.0-slack14.0.sfs" from the drop-down-list, and click the "Load" button to load it.
6. Once loaded, choose to run it when offered, and go to the Netflix web site, and log in [and save your login details?].
7. If it runs OK, and you are happy with it, then click the "Save..." icon on the desktop, to save the changes made. [Or backup your pupsave prior to making the changes, and restore to undo auto-saved changes]
8. There should now be a "Menu->Internet->Slimjet" entry. Click this to run it. One of the 12 boxes/links will be a Netflix link. Just click it to be taken there.

We both have "Save..." icons on our desktops, with auto-saving disabled...
You may not, your Puppy may auto-save periodically., so make your own appropriate arrangements to save or undo the changes if you don't like the results.

Wognath

#24 Post by Wognath »

I was happy to read that Sylvander and son were watching Netflix via Slimjet. The last I heard, only GC supported encrypted media extensions required for Netflix to work.
I just made an sfs of slimjet 5.0.4.0 plus some libs for Fatdog 701 (80M slim!). While the browser seems fine, unfortunately, it does not play Netflix . I get error 7355-1203, for which Netflix Help Center has 3 suggestions:
1) Make sure your browser supports HTML5 *On html5test.com, slimjet scores 501 out of 555, and it works for Sylvander.
2) Disable Chrome Extensions *I have no chrome extensions.
3) Reinstall Google Chrome *I'd rather not!
Any ideas?

Sylvander

#25 Post by Sylvander »

Sylvander wrote:...it appears to be working well and giving me a functioning Netflix.
Oops...
I will now confess:
It was looking good, but...
I didn't actually go the whole way and play a movie.
So just now I tried to play a movie, and guess what...
I get Error Code: 7355-1203 for all of the 4 I tried. :oops:

hapless_user

Thanks,Scabz!

#26 Post by hapless_user »

Brilliant, Scabz!
My ebullient report: Works well on LxTahr 15.02 on an HP G60 laptop.I played most of a "TedTalk" through and it works great.
I am loading the chrome sfs only when Netflix is wanted and then just using the Netflix shortcut installed.

Wognath

#27 Post by Wognath »

No worries, Sylvander. You tricked me into trying out a nice browser :lol: It won't lure me away from Opera at the moment... One fine day we Netflix users will be able to drop GC. In the meantime, I'm with hapless_user: GC only for Netflix.

Wognath

Whoops, something went wrong

#28 Post by Wognath »

Has anyone successfully watched Netflix in a browser other than Google Chrome? By way of bumping this topic, I'll describe my unsuccessful attempts in Fatdog701. In Fatdog, Netflix runs perfectly with Google Chrome (sfs made from deb, nothing added or changed), but I'm trying other browsers anyway. Some days you'd rather hit your head against a wall than watch TV.

As I understand, html5 support, encrypted media extensions and widevine modules are required. In a comment on Netflix in Linux without complications: only in Chrome, a user claims to have used in archlinux with chromium by installing widevine plugin.

Peebee's chromium-46 sfs
EME is present and enabled (chrome://flags: Disable EME is disabled). Already has widevine libs in usr/lib64/chromium/, but won't play
"We cannot find all the required components to play Netflix on this device. Please visit chrome://plugins, ensure that the 'Widevine Content Decryption Module' plug-in is enabled and that the 'Always allowed' setting is checked." Netflix Error Code: M7357-1269
Done, no change. No idea what to try next...
Edit/update Nov. 23: success with Chromium see next post

Slimjet
has EME (slimjet://flags: Disable EME is disabled) but widevine is not present. Copied 2 widevine libs from Google Chrome into a directory, added a manifest file and loaded unpacked extension in slimjet://extensions, but Netflix still gives Error Code: M7355-1203. Especially annoying since Netflix is one of the default shortcut buttons on the Slimjet startup page!

Firefox "incompatible system" User agent switcher gets me 1 step further, but no movie...

Palemoon
"Install Silverlight". Following advice here and here, changed user agent string. Unexpected error, black screen

Opera-developer-34
opera://flags says EME is not available for Linux. (In Opera for Windows, both widevine and silverlight plugins are included and enabled, but Netflix works only after silverlight is disabled --?--)
edit: O-d 35 appears to have EME, but gives incompatible browser error in Netflix. No luck with user agent switcher.

:roll:
Last edited by Wognath on Tue 24 Nov 2015, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.

Wognath

#29 Post by Wognath »

Netflix works with Chromium!
from https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175532577/
...if you want to use Chromium for Netflix streaming instead of Firefox with Pipelight:

You will need my Chomium package for Slackware 14.1 or -current (any version I happen to have in my repository, but I made it work first on 39), together with the chromium-widevine-plugin package:

Chromium: http://taper.alienbase.nl/mirrors/peopl ... /chromium/
Widevine plugin: http://taper.alienbase.nl/mirrors/peopl ... ne-plugin/

There's nothing more to it than installing Chromium and the plugin, and then browsing to Netflix.com. Will work out of the box.
These are txz packages. They work as claimed in Fatdog 701. :)

No need to get his chromium. With the plugin, peebee's chromium sfs plays netflix movies! :D

charbaby66

#30 Post by charbaby66 »

I was not able to get Netflix going under the same Chromium with the widevine plugin Wognath mentioned with the recent tahrpup64ce.

peebee's 32 bit sfs works under the tahr 6.x series but I took a page from the talented Mike Walsh's instructions in http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1389113989 to hack myself a fix.

I made a 64 bit latest Chrome sfs, as well as trying peebee's chromium sfs. Chrome worked OOTB, (but I hate goog stuff, and not sure about chromium but either is better that then booting Win7 to get my NF fix and easier than Wine'ing about it (ha! punny! :)

I just copied the libwidevinecdmadapter.so and libwidevinecdm.so from /opt/google/chrome to /usr/lib/chromium after renaming the 2 files in this directory to .bak. Netflix fired up right away on a manual frugal install on hd formatted to ext4. YMMV. *NOTE* You may need to disable hardware acceleration in your browser if you get a black screen with sound.

I am also working on a way to run Netflix sans Chrome/Chromium. Like Wognath I have tried every browser/addon combo. If successful I will post the steps. Hope this helps someone :)
Puppy. You can choose to use it well. 8) Or well, choose not to use it. :wink: (I'm feelin' quite spiffy for thinking of that)
Of course there's always <mumble> RTFM :oops: RTFM :roll: RTFM :twisted: Funny I say that @ work and play equally often.

Wognath

Netflix in Vivaldi

#31 Post by Wognath »

Netflix works in Vivaldi! Instructions here:
https://vivaldi.net/forum/vivaldi-brows ... io-netflix
Thanks, Steffie! :)
Fatdog 702, vivaldi-snapshot 1.0.422.8, Google chrome sfs loaded. Vivaldi has a link to /opt/google/chrome/libwidevinecdm.so. I tried copying the lib and unloading chrome, but it didn't work.

Correction: it will work without google-chrome. Loaded vivaldi-snapshot sfs, installed libffmpeg.so from http://repo.herecura.eu/herecura/x86_64/ per vivaldi forum post. From /opt/google/chrome of my chrome sfs, "install libwidevinecdm.so /opt/vivaldi-snapshot/libwidevinecdm.so" overwrites the link and Netflix now plays. :D The google-chrome sfs is not loaded.

EDIT 4/7: Netflix works in vivaldi-stable 1.0 with same 2 libs copied or linked into /opt/vivaldi :)
OscarTalks has made a vivaldi sfs for 32-bit pups: https://yadi.sk/d/euoIiDRDqcFnK

RickGT351

#32 Post by RickGT351 »

Sylvander, bad news. Google no longer supports chromecast on computers. You have to use a mobile device https://support.google.com/chromecast/a ... ktop&hl=en

Mike Walsh

#33 Post by Mike Walsh »

Just to clarify Rick's point, above.

It's still perfectly possible to run Chromecast from any of the modern Chromium 'clones' on your computer. But set-up, as pointed out above, must now be carried-out via a mobile device.

This appears to be Google at their most pedantic. Using a mobile device, it's far easier to keep tabs on the individual.....though why they're concerned as to how and when you actually use Cast, beats me.

(I suppose it figures. Android, Google's 'baby', is now the world's most used operating system.....and it's essentially a mobile-only platform. So virtually everything Google does is carried out with an eye, primarily, to implementing it in Android, first & foremost.)

And the more data Google collects on you, the richer Google becomes..... :roll:

Mike. :wink: