Kingston 512MB Data Traveler 2.0 USB Drive?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Foucault

Kingston 512MB Data Traveler 2.0 USB Drive?

#1 Post by Foucault »

http://www.buy.com/prod/DTI_512KR/q/loc ... 11655.html

This looks like a great deal, 512MB for 10 Bucks with rebate. Will this work with Puppy 2.01? I don't necessarily need Puppy to boot from it, although that would be nice. I do want to be able to save my settings to it though.

Please be gentle with me - I'm a complete unhousetrained Puppy !

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

it should be fine...just keep it's original formatting & you can use it with windows or puppy. here's link to puppy-wiki-hardware page for usb keys:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/USBWorking

Foucault

#3 Post by Foucault »

Thanks Muggins! I assume that if I keep its original formatting I wouldn't be able to use it to boot from, correct?

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

i think it's less dependent on the usbkey's original format, but more dependent on whether your bios can boot usb, and if it can, whether it sees your key as a usb super-floppy or as a scsi hard disk. because no matter how it's formatted, if your bios can see it at boot, you can extract the 3 main files from a puppy iso & copy them to your key, then you just have to play around finding the right boot executable & boot configuration, for this to work, whether that's grub, lilo, gujin etc

Foucault

#5 Post by Foucault »

Maybe I just ought to hold fire for a few days to see how the latest Puppy release (with its ability to save to NTFS) fares, before buying a memory stick that I'll probably not have much more use for.

But thanks for your input, anyway!

Foucault

#6 Post by Foucault »

Well, I've obtained version 2.02, and I'm so far very happy with it's ability to write to NTFS. So, no need for a USB stick at the moment.

The Major

Kingston drive as USB boot device

#7 Post by The Major »

I found this USB drive works really well, but you have to format it (in Windows) using the HP USB drive utility, which is downloadable from the HP site.