Puli 32/64 bit

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sylvander

Re: Chrome - Stable version

#121 Post by Sylvander »

gjuhasz wrote:...Maybe the laws/regulations at your location restrict the downloadable content, i.e., allow downloading the stable version only, even if the link seems to be different.
Seems so, because those links you posted take me to the same page, and don't take me to the pages you are taken to.
might you download the file, and give it to me some other way?

Sylvander

#122 Post by Sylvander »

tallboy wrote:Sylvander, I would be greateful if you could go through he details...
Simple explanation:
a. Once running Grub4Dos...
You tell it which partition [on the Flash drive] to install to...
And...
b. Tell Grub4Dos to only search the Flash Drive [for the OS] whilst loading.
c. click OK on all other windows.

2. If the above isn't detailed enough, I'll need to go through the process of...
a. Partitioning and formatting the Flash Drive, and setting the boot flag on the partition.
b. Copying the Puli files to the ext4 partition on the Flash Drive.
c; Running Grub4Dos, and writing notes on paper of all of the steps [ugh].
Then noting/listing in detail here, all of those steps.

gjuhasz

Chrome - Dev version

#123 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:might you download the file, and give it to me some other way?
Please find it here:

http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/temp

I need to delete it from my site in 2 days.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

Re: Chrome - Dev version

#124 Post by Sylvander »

gjuhasz wrote:Please find it here:
Got it downloaded, and tested against md5sum OK.
Will do the necessary tomorrow I hope.

tallboy

#125 Post by tallboy »

Sylvander wrote:If the above isn't detailed enough, I'll need to go through the process of...
No, no, I've done most other things hundreds of times over the years! :D
I just wondered if there were special considerations to take when setting up Grub. Thank you for your guidance, Sylvander.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

tallboy

#126 Post by tallboy »

Hey, gjuhasz:
Attachments
shot.png
(121.49 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Sylvander

#127 Post by Sylvander »

Sylvander wrote:Will do the necessary tomorrow I hope.
a. Installed google-chrome-unstable_current_i386.deb, and tried to restart the web-browser [which I'd closed prior to the install] by clicking the "Browse" icon, BUT...
It wouldn't restart. :(
So...
b. Rebooted.
Once back into the Puli desktop, clicking "Browse" started version 44.0.2403.157 of the web-browser.
c. Any idea what went wrong?

gjuhasz

Where to find Puli packages

#128 Post by gjuhasz »

Dear tallboy,

Thanks for noticing me - it was my fault. :oops:

In the meantime, I moved my packages from smokey01.com/gjuhasz/sfs to the below link, which is OK now:

http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/

The folder behind the old link includes a pointer to the actual one. I corrected my previous posts accordingly.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz
Last edited by gjuhasz on Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:13, edited 8 times in total.

gjuhasz

#129 Post by gjuhasz »

Dear Sylvander,
Sylvander wrote:Installed google-chrome-unstable_current_i386.deb, and tried to restart the web-browser [which I'd closed prior to the install] by clicking the "Browse" icon, BUT...
It wouldn't restart. :(
It seems that the 20151103-optional.tar.gz was not installed correctly. Please reinstall it by following the steps as we discussed on Page 8 of this thread.
(Don't forget to select "Copy" instead of "Move")

However, this optional package is not necessary in your country while downloading beta and dev packages is restricted.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

Re: Updates and downloads

#130 Post by Sylvander »

gjuhasz wrote:...repeat the above procedure for 20151103-optional.tar.gz, too. In this case, the contents of the patch (again!) and the profiles folder will be merged with their counterpart on the pendrive.
a. DONE.
...And I think I did it correctly this time, due to improved understanding of what I was attempting. :D
Now to go to instuctions on how to test this.

b. FAIL! :(
1. Closed the web-browser.
2. Installed google-chrome-unstable_current_i386.deb
3. Clicked "Browse" icon on desktop.
No browser ran. [Unable to run browser by any other means I tried]
4. Rebooted without saving changes [no backup].
5. Once back into Puli desktop...
Clicked "Browse" icon, and...
There was displayed a warning that began:
"No run action specified for files of this type (application/x-shellscript)..."

gjuhasz

Re: Updates and downloads

#131 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:No run action specified for files of this type
Dear Sylvander.

Finally, I could reproduce the problematic behavior.

The root of the problem is that you have ext4 filesystem on your pendrive while I tested the update packeges with FAT32 8)

For this case, the main difference is that FAT32 does not handle the Linux permissions thus each file copied there gets rwxr-xr-x (755).

For some funny reason, those scripts did not have executable permission when I compressed them into 20151103.optional.tar.gz (in my tests they turned to be executable automatically).
Consequently, this property remained unticked in your ext4 system. :roll:

In the meantime I corrected the permissions. You can download the updated package at http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/Puli-6.0.4_ ... nal.tar.gz.

Please check whether those files, e.g., /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser are excluded from your backups.

FYI: I updated the test.tar.gz file, too. Now it contains the latest beta and dev versions.

PM sent.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#132 Post by Sylvander »

1. "You can download the updated package at http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/Puli-6.0.4_ ... nal.tar.gz."
a. Downloaded this updated package, and did the appropriate stuff with it [I'm confident I know what to do] as with the old package, but the end result was exactly the same as before [same warning]. :(

2. "Please check whether those files, e.g., /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser are excluded from your backups."
a. How should I do that?
I just now clicked on my backup file and a list of contents was presented in an XArchive window.
Included in that list was a folder named ./usr/local/bin/...
Plus lots of files listed, but none that I could see beginning /usr/local/bin/.
Does that mean /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser are excluded?
And is that good or bad?

3. "I updated the test.tar.gz file, too. Now it contains the latest beta and dev versions."
a. I'm losing the plot/place...
I have the old copy of test.tar.gz, but cannot remember where I got it or what it's for, and what I did with it.
Where is the post giving instructions, and where's the file?

4. "PM sent."
a. ...And read.
b. As you saw from our text cummunication using Skype, I was able to get Skype running in Puli [only by using a command, but not by using the menu entry]...
But so far unable to get my USB mic and camera functioning.
I've had them working previously with skype, but I think that was in Windows.
I've not recently used them with Puppy, but I know I had them working with Puppy some time back..
I'm not experienced using Skype, or mic and camera.
c. I tried testing the mic, the Skype system [announcement etc] appeared to work, but I got no playback from the web = failure.
Used Retrovol "Full window" to check settings without success [I'm inexperienced].
Last edited by Sylvander on Fri 13 Nov 2015, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvander

#133 Post by Sylvander »

1. Copied firefox-p.pet into the /mnt/sdb1/packages folder, and I have that loading at Startup.

a. Ran "Menu->Internet->Firefox (root)" [Firefox (spot) also available], and posting from that now, so at least I have SOME web-browser I can use.
Firefox [which?] also runs if I click "Browse".
b. Problem is: the opening window [and some of the titles in the others]...all in Hungarian methinks.
Otherwise, it seems OK.

gjuhasz

Skype config

#134 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:But so far unable to get my USB mic and camera functioning.
Yesterday I installed a new USB headset in Puli, and the camera worked, too.
So, I am wondering if I can help... let me know the type of your headset. Thanks.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#135 Post by Sylvander »

1. Headset:
Plantronics Gamecom.
a. Plantronics Gamecom 367
b. Connection:
2 off 3.5mm jacks, one for mic, one for earphones.
Inclined to not use the mic on this because the Logitech standalone mic is probably better [ambient noise cancellation], but whatever works will win.
I have the earphone jack connected to the amplified output on my speaker set [mutes the speakers which is useful], and the speaker set connected to the 3.5mm speaker output at the back of the desktop unit.

2. Microphone:
Logitech A-0186A
USB connection.

3. Camera:
Logitech Webcam C120
USB connection.

catsezmoo

#136 Post by catsezmoo »

Quick "install from windows and boot into Puli" instructions:

1) attach a pendrive which has already been "made bootable" by unetbootin for some other distro
2) delete everything except "ldlinux.sys" and "menu.c32" from the pendrive
3) copy to pendrive the extracted zipfile contents from http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/Puli-6. ... nstall.zip

If your bios "boot device order" is configured to prioritize USB, when you restart the PC with the pendrive attached you'll boot into a Puli session.

catsezmoo

#137 Post by catsezmoo »

gjuhasz, did you build firefox or did you just download/install then create a .pet file for it?
As Sylvander mentioned, firefox gui is displaying hu localization. I haven't yet figured out how to change it to english.

gjuhasz

firefox gui is displaying hu localization

#138 Post by gjuhasz »

did you build firefox or did you just download/install then create a .pet file for it?
As Sylvander mentioned, firefox gui is displaying hu localization. I haven't yet figured out how to change it to english.
Problem is: the opening window [and some of the titles in the others]...all in Hungarian methinks.

Dear catsezmoo,

Thanks for testing Puli.

It seems that, regardless of how the original was created, Firefox updates arrive only in localized version.
I just created a new package in an en-US environment. Feel free to download from

http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/firefox-en.pet

For some reasons, only the smartloaded package can be started as spot user (from menu or by clicking on the browse desktop icon).

For Hungarian users, http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/firefox-hu.pet is available, too.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

Re: firefox gui is displaying hu localization

#139 Post by Sylvander »

gjuhasz wrote:I just created a new package in an en-US environment.
What, no en-GB version?

gjuhasz

Re: firefox gui is displaying hu localization

#140 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:
gjuhasz wrote:I just created a new package in an en-US environment.
What, no en-GB version?
Dear Sylvander,

To tell the truth, I don't know how Mozilla decides which language set is needed for download. For example, MS Outlook selects its grammar check database based on the (default) keyboard settings. My configuration showed "en-US" for location and "GB" for keyboard when I downloaded v42 update of Firefox. Please check if you see significant problem there in the aspect of Brit. English (Only the menu items should be checked, and I assume that there is no difference between the 16 English flavors in this level.) Anyway, if the next versions arrive and Firefox offers (you) to apply them, you get your location-specific version each time.
1. Headset:
Plantronics Gamecom.
a. Plantronics Gamecom 367
b. Connection:
2 off 3.5mm jacks, one for mic, one for earphones.
Inclined to not use the mic on this because the Logitech standalone mic is probably better [ambient noise cancellation], but whatever works will win.
I have the earphone jack connected to the amplified output on my speaker set [mutes the speakers which is useful], and the speaker set connected to the 3.5mm speaker output at the back of the desktop unit.

2. Microphone:
Logitech A-0186A
USB connection.

3. Camera:
Logitech Webcam C120
USB connection.
I am not sure that such mixed (analog headphone plus USB mic) is supported by Linux in general. Until I try to get an an USB mic, I try to provide you with some "blind support". Let me ask you to do the following in your system while your headphones and USB mic is plugged in:

1. In a terminal, issue modprobe usb-snd-audio
2. Select Menu > Alsa Setup > ALSA sound Wizard > Click on Multiple cards button. Create a screenshot.
3. In ALSA Sound Wizard, select the analog device (maybe Card 0, Device 0) as default, then set the Master volume (and Headphone volume) to maximum. Test your headphone by issuing aplay /usr/share/audio/2barks wav (in terminal)
4. In ALSA Sound Wizard, select the analog device (maybe Card 2 or 3, Device 0) as default and set the Capture volume of your USB microphone. Test your mic using Menu > Multimedia > mhWaveEdit audio recorder/editor.

If your audio settings are OK now, create a backup. If not, the please send me the screenshot you created above.
Alternatively you can use the analog mic (the background noise will not be compensated, I know) with the help of Retrovol settings (Unplug the USB mic, plug in the analog one, right click the sound tray icon then select Full window / Config window and set the sliders appropriately.)

Cross fingers

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz