Puli 32/64 bit

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gjuhasz

TeamViewer compatibility issue resolved

#151 Post by gjuhasz »

I played with teamviewer and wine and skype and found some incompatibilities.

1. Incompatibility between different wine versions:

The official TeamViewer package contains wine 1.6 modules that are incompatible with newer wine versions. I promise a fix or at least a workaround. So, I updated the wine version from 1.6 to 1.7.21 in my Teamviewer package. Downloadable from my storage site as http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/te ... -10w17.pet Now its wine version aligns with http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/wi ... 1.7.21.pet. Now you can use them together.
I also created a "bare" TeamViewer package that does not work in standalone mode but co-operates the wine package without unnecessary duplicates installed. Will share it after a few days of testing.

2. Incompatibility between different TeamViewer versions:

There is a king size Chrome extension available, it is practically TeamViewer 1.8 and does not need wine. I ran a quick test but did not find voice connection feature there. Same for earlier TeamViewers. Some of them allow the connection with another version but cannot control the remote desktop. Others simply say that "Old Version, please update". Others are OK but no voice connection allowed or even crash when tried.

3. Skype (in)compatibility:

I learnt that Skype compatibility (better saying: pulseaudio capability) is available in Teamviewer 1.7.55 and later versions only.
I think I can have a fix for this in a few days.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

gjuhasz

TeamViewer 11 - wine 1.7.21

#152 Post by gjuhasz »

I got a PM from a friend.
I'd appreciate anyone with wine installed (other than version 1.6) to test if this does indeed solve the conflict problem.
Here you are...

http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/te ... -11w17.pet

This TeamViewer includes wine 1.7.21 modules.

(The wine_puli_wdt-1.7.21.pet is in the same folder: http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/)

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

gjuhasz

TeamViewer 11 bare

#153 Post by gjuhasz »

Another package does not contain Wine at all.

http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/te ... 11bare.pet

Works, however, if you have wine 1.7.21 co-installed, e.g., wine_puli_wdt-1.7.21.pet - also from http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/)

Tested in Puli

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#154 Post by Sylvander »

1. I have both of these in my /mnt/sdb1/packages folder with the necessary settings in the /mnt/sdb1/profiles/Common/smartload file, so they auto-load during Startup.
I sent you a PM quoting the "failure to load" warning displayed during Startup.
WINE is working OK.

2. I started a Puli session, and ran TeamViewer-11, noted my ID & Password [rebooted into Slacko because I didn't have an email client set up in Puli but had Thunderbird set up in Slacko] and sent you my ID & Password from Slacko.

3. Discovered that once I rebooted back into Puli, the ID & Password had changed , so your attempt to connect to my PC failed.
Is it necessary or not to set up a TeamViewer account, and log in at the beginning of a session?

4. I had Skype running, was logged in, mic and headphones worked OK, and I could see your text being typed on my screen, but it seemed that you couldn't see the text I was typing in reply.
So I need to get some practise [not practice] on Skype also, to learn in detail how it works.

5. Which info to post here, and which to send in PM's, or emails?

gjuhasz

powerapplet_tray megred with xbatalarm

#155 Post by gjuhasz »

Hi,

For those cannot get powerapplet_tray working, I referenced it in xbatalarm.
Among other changes, I applied new icons and forced the right one to appear in the tray.
Changed the default alarm level to 10%.
Tested in Puli, probably works for other puppies, too.

As powerapplet_tray is a built-in feature in Puli, it is excluded from the attached pet package.
The full version is uploaded with my other post, see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 2&start=12

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Edit on Jan 28: xbat-p.pet uploaded again after some bugfix
Attachments
xbat-p.pet
MD5sum: 9da6003131a28e269dbd5d969c68204e
(2.77 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
Last edited by gjuhasz on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 13:23, edited 4 times in total.

gjuhasz

Vulnerability in the OpenSSH

#156 Post by gjuhasz »

Hi,

A new vulnerability in the OpenSSH client was detected yesterday. It affects all versions of the program, from 5.4 to 7.1. The detected bug (CVE-2016-0777) allows an attack leading to a leakage of the private key.

While patches and updates are being rolled out for affected distributions, the feature causing this security issue can be disabled manually in order to resolve the issue. This can be done by adding a line to your SSH configuration. Edit your /etc/ssh/ssh_config file as follows:
  • 1. Find the line that contains Host * (in the default ssh.config, this is Line 19)

2. Just after this line, create a new one with the following content:

Code: Select all

UseRoaming no 
  • 3. Save this file.

4. Create a new folder on your boot pendrive as /patch/etc/ssh

5. Copy your updated /etc/ssh/ssh_config file to the new folder on the pendrive.

6. Unmount the pendrive.
Warning! An earlier ssh.config file may be accidentally restored if you edited /etc/ssh/ssh.config some time ago then created a backup file. If you have never touched /etc/ssh.config, then please ignore this warning note.

Note that servers could be also potentially affected in case key-based auth is used to connect to other servers by SSH. See https://access.redhat.com/articles/2123781

This patch / the fixed OpenSSH package will be included in the next Puli expected in Feb 2016.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#157 Post by Sylvander »

Completed steps 1 to 6 in the post immediately above. :D

Any way to test that it's working?
Or is this a silly question?

greengeek

Re: Vulnerability in the OpenSSH

#158 Post by greengeek »

gjuhasz wrote: Find the line that contains Host * (in the default ssh.config, this is Line 19)
My ssh_config file looks like this:

ForwardAgent yes
	ForwardX11 yes

with no other contents.

There is also an sshd_config file in the same directory. Am i exposed to this bug? Why don't I have a line 19?

- I am not using Puli I'm on a Slacko 5.6 derivative but thought you might have some insight to offer.
cheers!

gjuhasz

OpenSSH

#159 Post by gjuhasz »

As it is written in the bug description, this vulnerability is related to a non-public feature of the OpenSSH client. :shock:

So, there there should be some lines

Host *
UseRoaming no
as a mitigation in the ssh.config file regardless of the other content. (I mentioned Line 19 because I referenced the default ssh.config file of Puli 6.0.4.)

Analysis of the fix is available at http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2016/01/14/7 ... nice, isn't it?
More details could be answered by only those had been interested in putting this "feature" into OpenSSH... Be sure, I was not among the requestors. Maybe Mr. E.S. knows some of them. :)

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

gjuhasz

Puli defends Linux Kernel Vulnerability (CVE-2016-0728)

#160 Post by gjuhasz »

Dear Puli users,

Just FYI...

the newly discovered Linux kernel vulnerability (CVE-2016-0728) is unable to impact (any version of) Puli operated either in the Crazy or the Lazy security profiles.

:D

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

gjuhasz

Re: powerapplet_tray merged with xbatalarm

#161 Post by gjuhasz »

gjuhasz wrote:For those cannot get powerapplet_tray working, I referenced it in xbatalarm.
The full version is uploaded with my other post, see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 2&start=12
Hi,

There are updates for xbatalarm available (bugfixes, new features). See the referenced forum thread for details. Package updated at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=154, too

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

gjuhasz

Netsurf 3.4

#162 Post by gjuhasz »

I compiled netsurf 3.4

Download link:

http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/netsurf-3.4.pet

Runs fine in Puli. Probably works with most of 32-bit puplets, too.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz
Attachments
Netsurf--3.4.jpg
(78.93 KiB) Downloaded 361 times

Sylvander

#163 Post by Sylvander »

PROBLEM
1. Used a 2nd Puppy to copy the Netsurf pet file into the Puli Packages folder, and added a "netsurf" entry in the .../profiles/Common/smartload file.
Then rebooted to Puli.

2. During the loadup...
I could see that netsurf was being loaded ok.
But then...

3. A warning was given in red that additional packages were failing to load.

4. Once into Puli there was no sign of Netsurf being available. :(

gjuhasz

Netsurf

#164 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:PROBLEM
1. Used a 2nd Puppy to copy the Netsurf pet file into the Puli Packages folder, and added a "netsurf" entry in the .../profiles/Common/smartload file.
Then rebooted to Puli.

2. During the loadup...
I could see that netsurf was being loaded ok.
But then...

3. A warning was given in red that additional packages were failing to load.

4. Once into Puli there was no sign of Netsurf being available. :(
Dear Sylvander,

If you "conventionally" install my netsurf-3.4.pet (by clicking the filename), it works.

However, you are right, smartloading the same netsurf-3.4.pet file fails.

So, I created another pet file in a different way then uploaded it to my storage.

http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/netsurf-3.4.pet

This version is OK for smartload, too. Tested in Puli.

Thanks for the notification and sorry for the inconvenience.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#165 Post by Sylvander »

OK...
The new pet file works OK. :D

roadster3043

Puli Smartload

#166 Post by roadster3043 »

Hi.

I've been testing Puli 6.0.4, but can't seem to load anything that I've placed in the smartload file and the packages directory.

Sometimes at boot it says omit even though I pressed a key to load it.

What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks.
--
Take care.

Juan

gjuhasz

Re: Puli Smartload

#167 Post by gjuhasz »

roadster3043 wrote:Hi.

I've been testing Puli 6.0.4, but can't seem to load anything that I've placed in the smartload file and the packages directory.

Sometimes at boot it says omit even though I pressed a key to load it.

What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks.
Dear roadster3043,

Please check whether you hit the key in time and this key correctly identifies the package(s) you want to smartload.
  • 1. Proper timing - To select a package set to be smartloaded, you need to hit a key within a specific timeslot in the boot process. It begins as soon as the purple "copying to ram" text appears and ends 5 seconds after Puli asks you for the selection.

2. Unique reference - For example, if you hit key "a", it is expected to have a smartload file named "smartloada" in the /profiles/Common folder of your boot pendrive. If you hit "x" while you don't have "smartloadx" there or if you hit the spacebar, then nothing will be smartloaded. If you don't hit any key or if you hit Enter, Puli seeks the default "smartload" file there.

In the case you use a laptop without a separate numeric keypad, some character keys can be interpreted as numbers at boot time. Also, if you have non-US keyboard, some keys are placed differently. (The default numlock and language settings can be controlled by the syslinux.cfg and the puli.cfg files).

The selected smartload file should list the requested packages, referencing them by the first few characters of their filename. Of course, if this type of reference is ambivalent, i.e., points to multiple packages, then only one of them will be smartloaded.

3. Existing packages - The packages, with file extensions .pet and/or .sfs and/or one (chrome) .deb, should be placed in the /packages folder of the boot pendrive. For smartload, I recommend to use the packages tested in Puli.
    Note that none of the smartloaded packages appear among the installed ones in the Puppy Package Manager.

FYI: You may include references to all your favorite packages in all your smartload files (for example, I do this) but in this case those need to be skipped in a particular smartload file should begin with "-" minus sign.
Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#168 Post by Sylvander »

Just wondering...

Would Puli counteract Ransomware?
Or does Ransomware only act against servers?

gjuhasz

Ransomware vs Puli

#169 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:Just wondering...
Would Puli counteract Ransomware?
Or does Ransomware only act against servers?
Dear Sylvander,

Ransomware can encrypt your files even in Linux environment. It can be activated if you open an attachment of an email. However, Puli can block ransomware if you are careful enough and avoid common traps:
  • First of all, do not use the Puli pendrive for other purposes, e.g., do not plug it into an infected machine - don't use it as temporary storage of Windows files.

Second, after you booted Puli, unplug the pendrive as soon as Puli recommends this (i.e., before the network connection is established). It is an advantage if you boot Puli from a USB device with write protection switch - a simple SD card is good for this purpose.

Third, use the safest (Lazy) security profile of Puli. While you are browsing using Chrome in the Lazy mode, the /bin folder is hidden thus the malicious code, such as ransomware, gets no resources to auto-install then infect. Note that this defense is active only while you are browsing in Lazy mode - so using a web based mail service is strongly recommended.
    (Actually, the above is true for Chrome browser only. I write this post in the next Puli version that allows Lazy mode also for Slimjet and Iron - I am thinking on Firefox yet.)
Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#170 Post by Sylvander »

Hello gjuhasz,

Thanks for your reply.
I...
Never use my Puli pendrive for other purposes.
Never knowingly plug it into any computer unless I believe that computer to be uninfected.
Never store Windows files on it.
Always remove the Puli pendrive when prompted.
So far I've not installed Puli to an SD memory card.
Just now switched my Puli to loading "force_lazy" in "/mnt/sdb1/profiles/Common/smartload".
I never fetch email in Puli.
When fetching my POP3 email in other Puppies, I first view the emails using "SaveMyModem" [smm], and delete any that I suspect may not be genuine/safe, and I seldom if ever open attachments.
So far I only use the natively included Chrome web-browser.