Puli 32/64 bit

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Pelo

package Fr is really well done...

#211 Post by Pelo »

package Fr is really well done... There is no English word lost here and there. Merci to the french team that does this huge work for our french speaking Puppy users (most of them should not use Puppy if not translated).
Hungarian team has translated ToOpPy 2 to HU ??? !!!
I like hungarian Puppies.. :!: nice remasterizations.

gjuhasz

DirtyCow

#212 Post by gjuhasz »

From https://github.com/dirtycow/dirtycow.gi ... ityDetails:

Impact
  • · An unprivileged local user could use this flaw to gain write access to otherwise read-only memory mappings and thus increase their privileges on the system.
    · This flaw allows an attacker with a local system account to modify on-disk binaries, bypassing the standard permission mechanisms that would prevent modification without an appropriate permission set.
For Puppy linux, this kernel bug can be ignored because

1. most of the processes run by root as the default user is root
2. cannot be activated by remote users until they break in the system in another way.

However, a browser can be infected by a malicious code to activate this exploit if it runs as spot.

I reckon that Puli (see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96964) provides more defense thus it can successfully block the effect of a hacker attack which tries to utilize DirtyCow.
  • · First, because exploits attacking based on DirtyCow mostly want to access to the disks - but, as you know, the pendrive can be unplugged and the hard disks are rarely mounted.
    · Second, because, especially in its Lazy profile, Puli makes the /bin folder inaccessible thus those utilities remain hidden during browsing.
    Note that the demo exploits such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEsshExn7aE actively use the /bin folder.
Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Pelo

what about Cd player, Gnome-Mplayer fails to list songs

#213 Post by Pelo »

gjuhasz , what about Cd player, Gnome-Mplayer fails to list songs . Could you take a glance at it, on Puli 6.0.5
I decided to continue with the precise version of Puli, because of MPEG available and i really enjoy this version. :shock:

gjuhasz

How to play audio CDs

#214 Post by gjuhasz »

Pelo wrote:gjuhasz , what about Cd player
Dear Pelo,

Puli 6.0.5 does not incude mplayer. CDs can be listened either with DeadBeef or VLC.

If you have a CD in the tray, you see a CD icon among the drives - labeled probably sr0.

1. Play with DeadBeef:
  • Click on the CD icon to open DeadBeef.
    Select File > Add Audio CD. The playlist appears.
    Click on the Play icon in the toolbar.
2. Play with VLC:
  • Click on the Play desktop icon. VLC opens.
    Select Media > Open Disc. In the Disk selection tab, select Audio CD and click Play.
    The playlist appears, playing starts.
See the attached picture.

FYI: You can use Asunder for ripping the CD.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz
Attachments
Puli_plays_CD.jpg
Use DeadBeef or VLC to play CDs
(61.05 KiB) Downloaded 1351 times

Pelo

it's a pleasure to be a tester with an hungarian devs.

#215 Post by Pelo »

merci gjuhasz it's a pleasure to be a tester with an hungarian devs. :) as you.
Puli is stored in my Masters directory now.. Protected !
I will do my best for Puli success.

Pelo

Lazpaint french repository : ASRI EDU 310

#216 Post by Pelo »

Lazpaint french repository : ASRI EDU 310 click here

Gjuhasz pet
hungarian pet
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.

gjuhasz

Puli 6.1.0

#217 Post by gjuhasz »

Dear Puli users,

I am proud to announce Puli 6.1.0.

Available at http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/Puli-6.1.0_Apr2017/ link.

Download instructions and detailed description of the new version can be found at http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/readme.html
and at the first post.

Changelog:
  • * Folder encryption/decryption in the Right-click menu
    * Auto-encrypted and smartsaved /root/my-documents/Secret folder
    * .rpm packages acceptable for smartload
    * .tar.7z packages acceptable for smartload (can be encrypted)
    * Any number of .deb packages are smartloadable
    * .pet and .deb postinstall scripts executed during smartload
    * New methods in rigorous and crazy security profiles
    * Browser handling fully rewritten - optimized
    * Multiple browser windows available
    * Official "factory default" packages to be used for Iron, Slimjet, Vivaldi, and Opera
    * Puli specific packages only for Firefox and Mozilla Light
    * Chrome browser not supported any more (as there is no 32-bit Chrome)
    * Common pepperflash and flashplayer plugin for all browsers
    * h264/mpeg4 codecs available (Slimjet, Vivaldi and Opera need extra ffmpeg codec package)
    * New default apps: nomacs replaces AzPainter; desktop icon starts SimpleScreenRecorder / XvidCap; zip icon opens Packit

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz
Attachments
Puli610.jpg
(45.5 KiB) Downloaded 1026 times
Last edited by gjuhasz on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 23:58, edited 7 times in total.

Dpup

Puli 6.1.0

#218 Post by Dpup »

@ gjuhasz,

Thanks for another great release of Puli. I am testing it on a new very low cost 11 inch laptop, a Lenovo 110S that was being sold at Best Buy for only $110 last week, brand new, lowest cost new laptop I have ever seen. It comes with Windows 10, but I want to run Puli instead as I do with my other computers. Saw on Ubuntu forums that another person with same model installing Linux and did not mention any issues. I do have mine dual boot on USB, all works except that frisbee does not detect the internal wifi interface. My work around for now is to plug in an old USB wifi adapter which is detected immediately and connects and runs fine with Puli.

Wonder if anyone knows the solution.

gjuhasz

Re: Puli 6.1.0

#219 Post by gjuhasz »

Dpup wrote:all works except that frisbee does not detect the internal wifi interface. My work around for now is to plug in an old USB wifi adapter which is detected immediately and connects and runs fine with Puli.
Dear Dpup, thanks for testing my new Puli.

Puli prefers Barry's Simple Network Setup to Jemimah's Frisbee. Have you tried it?

Unfortunately, the newest wifi cards are incompatible with 32-bit Linux having kernel 3.xx.xx.
My son bumped in the same issue with a new HP 250G laptop. Now he uses a nano size TP-Link TL-WN725N wifi dongle (he replaced the incompatible TL-WN727N to this one).
Older dongles such as Zyxel NWD 2105 are mostly OK..

Have fun!

Regards

gjuhasz

rcrsn51

Re: Puli 6.1.0

#220 Post by rcrsn51 »

gjuhasz wrote:(he replaced the incompatible TL-WN727N to this one).
Depending on the version, this adapter may be using the mt7601u driver. There is a forum section devoted to it. But it needs k4.x.

gjuhasz

Puli 6.1.0

#221 Post by gjuhasz »

gjuhasz wrote:Official "factory default" packages to be used for Iron, Slimjet, Vivaldi, and Opera
I attach a Puli 6.1.0 screenshot about the new Google Earth running smoothly in Slimjet 14.0.1.0 beta.

Nice and fast.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz
Attachments
Google_Earth_in_Puli.jpg
(164.39 KiB) Downloaded 457 times

Pelo

hungarian files for XVkbvd.

#222 Post by Pelo »

Two of my french colleagues need the hungarian files for XVkbvd. I prefer that hungarian team itself answer their request here.

Puppy Linux family: a high security, "kiosk" flavor

gjuhasz

Re: hungarian files for XVkbvd.

#223 Post by gjuhasz »

Pelo wrote:Two of my french colleagues need the hungarian files for XVkbvd. I prefer that hungarian team itself answer their request here.

Puppy Linux family: a high security, "kiosk" flavor
Dear Pelo,

Added the Puli version of XVkbd there.

Its layout and behavior differs from the others. Starts by clicking its icon in the tray or by typing xvkbdsec in a terminal.
You can switch to other languages by modifying the content of /etc/X11/app-defaults/XVkbd file from

Code: Select all

#include "XVkbd-hu"

to, for example,

Code: Select all

#include "XVkbd-french"
The pet package is available at http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/XVkbd-puli.pet

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Pelo

what will they do with it ? hum...

#224 Post by Pelo »

what will they do with it ? hum... be careful, keep an eye on it :)
Merci however. Tested with Puli, of course, Puli the old ( :evil: ), Puli the adult version ( :) , with ffmpeg included) upup 3.8.3

IMO you should include Polish (made available on the forum by SFR). It would be nice to get an european package for all european languages, including English of course, which will remain The favorite.
No Brexit in Puppy Linux World
Write Magyar is not easy, but to speak Magyar will be years and years .. :oops:

Argolance's Workshop For ToOpPy Precise 5.7.1, a Puppy with Magyar included, with the help of Skamilinux team

Argolance

#225 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
Many thanks for your package. :D

So now, we have got two XVkbd files, one from S-kami called XVkbd-hungarian , and another one from you, called XVkbd-hu.
Both are very different and I was wondering which choose to add to my (our) packages? Note that both can be added if needed and useful, Please fill free to give us some explanations on the :arrow: French Forum (XVkbd 3.7 + xvkb(jwmb)asiconf + libs).

I asked the question to S-kami on his site, he answered:
I wanna admit that, the first file was created by Janugsa, and the second one made by Gjuhasz so i know nothing about this translation and choice...
@Pelo
"what will they do with it ? hum... be careful, keep an eye on it " :shock:
Nous avons en effet de très funestes desseins/we have indeed very fatal intentions.... 8)

Cordialement.

Pelo

European Puppy forums

#226 Post by Pelo »

"xvkbasiconf et xvkbjwmbasiconf sont deux petits utilitaires qui permettent de définir les principales options de configuration visuelle du Clavier Virtuel XVkbd 3.7 (inclus dans le paquet ainsi que les libs libXaw3d.so.8 et libXp.so.6)." two small scripts to improve visual of XVkbd, says Argolance in French.

just add polish and the hungarian version will be enough.
There are a lot of xvkbd pets, all working well. The plus of Argolance pet is in visual settings of the keyboard, based on ToOppy desktop by default, but you can change it
And of course Magyar and Polish added as i was wishing for my personal use (European Puppy forums)
Russian to see further days, and Czech too
What can be an accurate usage : make pendrive as gift offered by a club or a firm, colorized with their logo colors, as advertisement object)
Pendrive with your Puppy inside, of course.
About Argolance pets, he has no testers, excepted Pelo.. Try them too, before release in Hungary to thousands of users. There are still some bugs.
pulixvkbasiconf-0.3_xvkbd-3.7_all.pet: 240 K (polish included, really)
:!: I hope your Puli new version will be tested by our famous french devs,

Last Argolance version 0.4

gjuhasz

Ransomware and Puli

#227 Post by gjuhasz »

Dear Puli users,

As you know, Puli can be installed on USB pendrives in different ways. Among them, I mention LiLi as the easiest method.

A forum member asked me whether this can be considered as a secure method as Windows versions (and also Wine) are potential targets of ransomware like WannaCry and Petya.

The answer is yes, of course.

If you want to use the Windows-based LiLi:
  • First of all, be sure that your system is not infected by any malware.
    Second, I propose to use the (intact) LiLi downloadable from my web folder http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/LiLi. Note that I added both MD5 and SHA checksum files to LiLi.
For non-Windows users:
Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Pelo

Grub4dos will install your Puli without erasing your files

#228 Post by Pelo »

Puli and Pelo ...
Lili live usb creator is a nice tool, which i used a lot in the past..
But you need to format your USB so to make it virgin.
Grub4dos will install your Puli without erasing your files. Pelo idea, for his Puli
Puli is a favorite, at home.
Puli with KDE
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 24 Sep 2017, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

gjuhasz

UEFI add-on uploaded

#229 Post by gjuhasz »

Pelo wrote: Lili live usb creator is a nice tool, which i used a lot in the past..
But you need to format your USB so to make it virgin.
Grub4dos will install your Puli without erasing your files.
Thank you for this idea, Pelo. There are other ways, however.

You can use any FAT32 formatted USB stick to boot Puli in UEFI mode without deleting your existing files from it. Even the MBR and the ldlinux.sys file may remain there.

You can download the UEFI add-on package from http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/Puli-6.1.0_Apr2017/UEFI folder. More info in the readme.txt file and in the http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109702 forum thread.

Note that the UEFI boot process first seeks the puppy_puli_6.1.0.sfs file on your non-NTFS hard disk partitions. So, I propose to remove/rename them unless you want to boot Puli from your HDD (which works but this mode is not recommended).

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Pelo

17-Apr-2017 17:26 1.3M

#230 Post by Pelo »

17-Apr-2017 17:26 1.3M
I know very well 'Lili live USB creator' It a nice GUI for install Puppy Linux or other Linux on an USB stick. I used it, i cannot deny it now.
It's better than unetbootin. That is a fact.
Puli 6.1.0 is provided as a ZIP 17-Apr-2017 17:26 1.3M. That is perfect..
Unzip where you like, on a pendrive.
1.3MB.... that is the problem.. Could you do a light version, as you did with precise ?
Topic Lili Live Usb Creator, topic en Français.
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.