unicornpup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
csipesz

#16 Post by csipesz »

dear 666philb, i have a problem with this unicorn:
On precise 5.7.1 retro, the getnvidia app works good;
on unicorn puppy why not? - please help me somebody.
I can not making an nvidia driver for my geforce 7600 gs card...

Marv

#17 Post by Marv »

Unicornpup continues to please :D

Continuing to play:

lxpanel_0.6.2 from PPM runs very well and the footprint isn't too bad at roughly 1.2Mb uncompressed (I just eyeballed what was added to the save file). Simple to turn off the jwm panel by 'hiding' /root/.jmrc-tray. The menu plugin from lxpanel wants an lxde-applications.menu at /root/.config/menus. Could symlink to /etc/xdg/menus/lxde-applications.menu but I just used the one from LxTahrPup. All controls/transparency/plugins working and easy to config.

I did update Yad. The one onboard (from woof CE?) is version 0.12.4. I updated to 0.27.0 (the one in X-slacko 2.3) so I could use the dir2sfs, sfs2dir etc from there. A bit more flexibility in compression schemes and Yad dialog, not urxvt. The older version didn't support the text formatting needed..

Pale Moon 25.1.0 and Opera 12.16 both run well, both 'portable' installations. SlimBoat 1.1.53, also a portable install, misses gstreamer 0.10. Netsurf is great for a bootstrap browser, seems pretty stable, and having the main browsers external and shared is just fine.

Continues to be totally workable out of the box, and much more pleasing visually (to me) with lxpanel.

Edit Dec 27: Continuing on, I added PCManFM 1.2.3 and a couple of fonts, did some testing in the /usr/local/bin/rox file to get the PCManFM opened cleanly when a drive is mounted or clicked, symlinked the different Trash locations, and the odd quartet JWM/Rox/Lxpanel/PCManFM really play pretty nicely together. Resquashed using xz high compression and the main SFS is up by 3.7Mb with NOTHING in the savefile. Not everybodies cup of tea but fast, quite light, and fun :) Oh, and the rightclicks from LxPupTahr also work perfectly here. Just used the pet in the options there. Thanks peebee

Edit Dec 31: Refined the 'rox' file testing and now bookmarks are automatically added and subtracted from the PCManFM sidepane as drives are mounted/unmounted. Can't mount from within PCManFM but it stays in synch with the Roxworld and Pmount. Had a shootout between the pure mutt described above and an Openbox/Lxpanel and a Lxde/Lxpanel version. The mutt won on lightness particularly with very few addtl. dependencies, but also surprisingly on objective speed and robustness. JWM/Rox really does do an ok job on the desktop and drives and Lxpanel and PCManFM 1.2.3 with rightclicks makes me happy.

Thanks,
Last edited by Marv on Wed 31 Dec 2014, 21:27, edited 3 times in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Billtoo

unicornpup

#18 Post by Billtoo »

Still playing here too :)

I moved my SDHC card install to my Gateway desktop which has Nvidia
graphics.

I downloaded and compiled the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-340.65.run proprietary
driver.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 25 Dec 2014 on unicornpup 6.0 Linux 3.14.20 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti OEM] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.16.0
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1204x343 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 340.65

Working well.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(76.42 KiB) Downloaded 1470 times

Marv

#19 Post by Marv »

The acid test...

Just walked downstairs with a syslinux USB stick with the unicornpup 6.0 setup from my previous post on it and plugged it into my desktop with a 2GHz quad core intel j1900 processor. Bay Trail-D with intel HD 4000 video. Wired ethernet. That board has been very very picky about having a kernel newer than 3.11/3.12 for USB support and about Xorg/i915/Mesa versions. Lazy boy didn't even cull the laptop stuff. It loved LxTahrPup so, as expected, fired right up with USB, sound, intel driver and Mesa and correct video resolution. Checked the intel drm install. Totally clean. Glxgears at 2335 FPS, right where I'd expect it. Culled the .flsynclient, acpid_start, and CPU governor. With a TDW of 10 watts for processor/GPU, not much thermal management needed. Posting from it now.

In summary, it's just as at home on a thoroughly modern Intel based motherboard as it is on the 2004 era Pentium M laptop.

Edit: added "Intel based"
Last edited by Marv on Sun 28 Dec 2014, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

csipesz

#20 Post by csipesz »

does nobody know a solution to this getnvidia-problem really? Then that's right, onto any amount i like it this new operating system, I have to stick by the own, csipeszpup system.
I can play it at least with my favourite game, the Far Cry...
Hm :( ...

Billtoo

unicornpup

#21 Post by Billtoo »

New install of ETP's ucf2fs.img.xz image to a 32gb SDHC card, pc is an
AAO netbook.
video-info-glx 1.5.3 Fri 26 Dec 2014 on unicornpup 6.0 Linux 3.14.20 i686
5.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RS880M 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
dimensions: 1024x600 pixels (270x158 millimeters)

server glx vendor string: SGI
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.3.0

AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo K125 Processor
Core 0: @1700 MHz

It's working well so far.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(105.38 KiB) Downloaded 1357 times

666philb

#22 Post by 666philb »

peebee wrote: Notice there is only nouveau or nv drivers for nvidia - no modesetting?

Notice that openssl is still showing a really old version?
# openssl version
OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014

p.s. is this really a derivative? seems more like a Project to me :wink:
might need xserver-xorg-video-modesetting from the PPM

openssl is patched and is from october same as in tahrpup

unicornpup is a building block puppy and is released as is .... it's up to others to make it into a project :)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

#23 Post by 666philb »

csipesz wrote:dear 666philb, i have a problem with this unicorn:
On precise 5.7.1 retro, the getnvidia app works good;
on unicorn puppy why not? - please help me somebody.
I can not making an nvidia driver for my geforce 7600 gs card...
getnvidia worked fine for me with the latest driver ....

tahrpups nvidia noPAE driver packages might work http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-tahr/
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

#24 Post by 666philb »

i forgot to add the fix for the PPM to stop it installing some packages which break puppy ......http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... h&id=83133

csipesz

#25 Post by csipesz »

for 666philb:
thank you for the fast hint, I try these!
Right, I do not know that others PREPARED IT HOW, but is at least!
And this the important one. :)
I wish everybody a fruitful, happy new year!

davids45

Full Install with Video Problem

#26 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I found I could install a Full Unicorn-6.0 from my Frugal Unicorn by setting the Universal Installer to use sda not sdb (refer earlier post with full install issue to sdb from a Frugal).

I have a Full on sda15 but am running into a problem with the video setting - it starts fine with the ATI driver and 1600x900 for the monitor, but after a re-start or two, drops back to a distorted 1280x1024 setting.
The video wizard does not work to restore the correct setting.

My Frugal Unicorn has kept its 1600x900 display, but copying the xorg.conf files from the good Frugal to the faulty Full did not help.

The checksum for the iso matches so the downloaded iso looks not the problem.

David S.

Keisha

unicornpup observations --1

#27 Post by Keisha »

Hello,

Pro's: it set up my IvyBridge i915 graphics correctly (I use i915.modeset=1 in the grub boot stanza).

Con's: I prefer lxpanel to fbpanel because of lxpanel's combine-all-windows-of-a-given-type-into-a-single-taskbar-entry feature. And, a firewall state indicator in the system tray probably should be included, even though it's a barebones spin. And, I notice the PPM is drawing from the puppy-tahr-official repository, puppy-unicorn-official is grayed out, is this an error?

Otherwise, liking it a lot so far.

oui

#28 Post by oui »

Hi

I am really seduced!

but why new dependences included (includes xchat, netsurf browser, rgbpaint, peasymp3 audio player, pburn, geany, urxvt) instead to make a really all modular system where all packages excepted only one (CLI-) editor and (CLI-) browser / internet / network as well as Rox, are to be added as the user really wishes!

as *.pet and remastering
or as *.sfs eventually with the RSH's modular system allowing more than 6 SFS.

and the presetting of

save before quit [yes] / no

is nonsens and will definitively stay to be nonsens:

users not willing to save are needing to change the presetting default choice EACH time they use those ISO's to spare users willing to save to do it ONLY ONCE :twisted: :oops: brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ...

but, ok,

CtrlAltBckspace + CtrlAltDel

solves that little inconvenient.

Kind rgds

peebee

#29 Post by peebee »

A small "feature" when running on my HP laptop / Intel graphics....

Dropping out to terminal causes display to go to 50% brightness

Can be fixed by:
echo 10 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Sun 04 Jan 2015, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

"Experimental" unicornpup derivative

#30 Post by peebee »

"Experimental" unicornpup derivative:

LxPupUnicorn-15.1 kernel 3.17.7-pae
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Billtoo

Re: "Experimental" unicornpup derivative

#31 Post by Billtoo »

peebee wrote:"Experimental" unicornpup derivative:

LxPupUnicorn-15.1 kernel 3.17.7-pae
Manual frugal install to a 16gb flash drive.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sun 4 Jan 2015 on LxPupUnicorn 15.1 Linux 3.17.7 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti OEM] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nouveau
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)

server glx vendor string: SGI
OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NVC8
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.3.0

I updated PPM,added Firefox and Kdegames.
I couldn't get the kernel source sfs file to load with sfs
load-on-the-fly,used the boot manager and it appeared to be loaded but
I couldn't install the proprietary nvidia driver (it gave an error
about not finding the kernel.h) so using the nouveau driver.

The individual kdegames won't launch from the menu but will launch
from grun, same thing in regular unicornpup.

Installed arandr from PPM to support 2 monitors.

Working well apart from the above.
Attachments
taskmanager.jpg
(119.17 KiB) Downloaded 1733 times
screenshot.jpg
(54.8 KiB) Downloaded 1726 times

oui

how to remaster it by hand

#32 Post by oui »

Hi

Unicorn Puppy is on my partition /mnt/home in subdir Zuni (all my Puppy are in Znnn or in returned writting if adequate yppup as they are in my biggest partition with actually Kubuntu, 14.10 of course).

First constatation:

PrtScr does not work (on my PC) and RGBpaint seems to be unable to be used for a PrtScr (or hides it really good :lol: if it cans! so I did have to install seamonkey to download and install mTpaint to do as I am accustomed (in the «Welcome to unicornpup version 6.0, released Dec 2014» there is in the index no report about this primordial function to help to communicate with pictures in the forum...).

A look in /initrd shows 3 subdir's in use:
- pup_ro2
- pup_rw
- pup_z

In the frugal dir I have only 2 sfs + devx:

- puppy_unicorn_6.0.sfs
- zdrv_unicorn_6.0.sfs

My Seamonkey with all needed files, dictionaries, noscript and addblock+ is in

/mnt/home/seamonkeyS (S is analog to http"s", in my eyes for "s"ecure). the content of /root/.mozilla is logged in it as well as the content of /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

I only change /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser
add a link /root/.mozilla
and copy .../plugins/* in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

in each Puppy

so I can work with the same version of seamonkey in all Puppy's (and Kubuntu, having no xulrunner app's any more, and Debian, having also no xulrunner app's any more): always the same contents...

...and comportment of seamonkey indifferent in which Linux I am actually.

what is to copy where in the case of this splitted *.sfs's?

which CLI command to use to reproduce exactly the same compression's rate (or are the choices in rox («create a pet package», «dir2sfs», «make archive» «Make ISO») better to do that? Where is to read about it: In Unicorn help?)

kind rgds

note: how to remove the new stuff I will never use (see my precedent message above)
Attachments
uni.jpg
(60.79 KiB) Downloaded 1663 times

oui

#33 Post by oui »

Note for new-puppies-fans / new-puppies-players:

I love to test new puppies and discover some new ideas, sometimes best ideas I did meet along years in Linux and other software. So the best software conceptions from Petihar years along: Best finish, and best accompanying with adequate complete software package (real good office, communication's software, perfect translation in his language, is not important for me but satisfying to see) or the revolutionary software from RSH made of Puppy stuff!

the actual "Experimental" unicornpup derivative is such a stuff: Puppy is growing, growing and growing and his name is more, more and more wrong - It is becoming to be a "Phanty" (in analogy to the name Pupp"y" but reported to an Elephant; and we have to take care to produce some Mmmothy's in analogy with the old good mammoth's!). "Experimental" unicornpup derivative is a good answer to this problem excepted the adding of software not really being useful for Puppy lover's accustomed to use traditional Puppy stuff and not able to mix all that from Puppy derivative to Puppy derivative.

You see, I use at the same time divers versions of Puppy derivatives (and other Linux's! And it is a problem enough as Puppy is always root and block so the usage of files for the other Linux's, especially hidden files like /root/.mozilla/*, and disturbs, say Kubuntu / Debian by start, the usual comportment of the partition's management!

so are my mozilla and libreoffice files all directly in the partition, not in *.sfs or some save file or subdivision.

in that "Experimental" unicornpup derivative I can use a little save file with only 32 MB again: free space 23 MB, and all what I need works and is installed (else in the little ISO as prepared by philb or on my main partition)!

666philb

Re: how to remaster it by hand

#34 Post by 666philb »

oui wrote:Hi
PrtScr does not work

A look in /initrd shows 3 subdir's in use:
- pup_ro2
- pup_rw
- pup_z

In the frugal dir I have only 2 sfs + devx:

- puppy_unicorn_6.0.sfs
- zdrv_unicorn_6.0.sfs

which CLI command to use to reproduce exactly the same compression's rate (or are the choices in rox («create a pet package», «dir2sfs», «make archive» «Make ISO») better to do that? Where is to read about it: In Unicorn help?)

note: how to remove the new stuff I will never use (see my precedent message above)
hi oui,

prtscr should work if you install a screenshot app or mtpaint for mtpaint set /usr/local/defaultscreenshot to mtpaint -s )

pup_rw is the savefile/folder

i've never done it manually but try this command

Code: Select all

mksquashfs /path/to/puppy/folder /path/to/put/puppy.sfs -comp xz
for removing stuff use menu>>setup>>>remove builtin packages ... or remove manually then remaster

666philb

Re: Full Install with Video Problem

#35 Post by 666philb »

davids45 wrote:G'day,

I found I could install a Full Unicorn-6.0 from my Frugal Unicorn by setting the Universal Installer to use sda not sdb (refer earlier post with full install issue to sdb from a Frugal).

I have a Full on sda15 but am running into a problem with the video setting - it starts fine with the ATI driver and 1600x900 for the monitor, but after a re-start or two, drops back to a distorted 1280x1024 setting.
The video wizard does not work to restore the correct setting.

My Frugal Unicorn has kept its 1600x900 display, but copying the xorg.conf files from the good Frugal to the faulty Full did not help.

The checksum for the iso matches so the downloaded iso looks not the problem.

David S.
sorry davids45 ... not sure what's going on there . have you tried booting with fsck?