LosslessCut - A Simple Video Cutter for Linux

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
labbe5

LosslessCut - A Simple Video Cutter for Linux

#1 Post by labbe5 »

https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut/releases

LosslessCut is a basic video editor.

To use it, download zip, extract and click LosslessCut to execute. It works well with DDStretch.

backi

#2 Post by backi »

Cool !!!!
Thanks a lot for Info Labbe5 :D :D :D
Straight and simple .
Exactly what i was looking for

Regards ! :)

greengeek

#3 Post by greengeek »

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but it always tells me that I am using an unsupported format. Tried avi, mp4, flv and webm so far.

Any clues?
cheers!

polekat

#4 Post by polekat »

If you are using VLC you can cut videos by setting the start and stop points on the playback. Then hit the record button and it will record just that portion. you may have to set the recording codec to the format you wish to save it in. This program is a bit large at 75 mb.to do something so simple.

backi

#5 Post by backi »

Hi Polecat !

Thanks for the Tip !Interesting .

Happy New Year !

nic007

#6 Post by nic007 »

polekat wrote:If you are using VLC you can cut videos by setting the start and stop points on the playback. Then hit the record button and it will record just that portion. you may have to set the recording codec to the format you wish to save it in. This program is a bit large at 75 mb.to do something so simple.
Where do you set the start and stop points and how? I have an older VLC so not so obvious.

Okay so I set point A and B with the loop button and then play and record. Recording does not stop automatically at point B (but the recording is accurate otherwise). Setting the start and stop points at the convert/save screen results in inaccurate recordings for me (video and audio not synching).

polekat

#7 Post by polekat »

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned you must activate the advanced controls from the drop down menu. The newer versions do seem to work better for me, although i still had to play around with it. The developer of VLC actually works the forums and answers questions. I don't know what to tell you on the synch problem, sorry..

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

polekat wrote:I'm sorry, I should have mentioned you must activate the advanced controls from the drop down menu. The newer versions do seem to work better for me, although i still had to play around with it. The developer of VLC actually works the forums and answers questions. I don't know what to tell you on the synch problem, sorry..
Yes, I use the advanced controls but exactly how do you set point A and point B because if I do (by selecting the third button of the advanced controls), it does not work for me (recording goes beyond point B).

greengeek

#9 Post by greengeek »

greengeek wrote:Not sure what I'm doing wrong but it always tells me that I am using an unsupported format. Tried avi, mp4, flv and webm so far.

Any clues?
cheers!
Bump.
Is anyone able to try lossless cut on Slacko 5.6 and let me know if it works for you? I'm not making much progress with it. cheers

hamoudoudou

videocut QT-app for xenialpup

#10 Post by hamoudoudou »

videocut QT-app for xenialpup will take 37mb in your space, for people frightened by MBs needed by Losslesscut.

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

Well; I like it, I must say. But I have to agree with Pelo; it's a hell of a size for what it is. Unfortunately, that's the Electron 'framework' for you...

From www.programmableweb.com:-

"Electron is a framework that helps developers write cross-platform desktop applications using JavaScript, HTML, and CSS. This framework is based on Node.js and Chromium."

Two words explain everything. Chromium.....and Javascript. Neither of which have ever been known for their svelte dimensions!

From here, on the 18th June '15:-

https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/2003

Matt Todd asks:-

"When building the latest 0.27.3 the mac app bundle is about 142MB of which 136MB come from the Electron Framework.

Is there any way to make this package smaller?"

And zcbenz replies:-

"That's the expected size, there is no way to make it smaller."
'Nuff said..! :roll:

Everything used in the Electron framework was originally developed as a 'back-end' for web applications.....but this is increasingly the way things are heading. Quite a few apps are now using a version of their web-interface on the desktop; Skype 4 Linux being one of the most obvious...

I've already packaged a couple of others for Pup, one of which is 'Temps', the Android-based desktop weather app:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112131

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, for any newbies and/or other individuals who prefer GUIs to doing stuff by the command-line, and don't care about package size, I've made up both 32-bit & 64-bit SFS packages from the unzipped Electron downloads. SFS packages because you can easily unload it when you're finished with it..... :roll:

Don't get me wrong, it's very professionally finished, and it's incredibly easy to use. Some of the Linux apps being turned out via Electron these days are easily on a par with Windows in terms of eye-candy, and 'cool' appearance....but jeez! the cost in the sheer amounts of RAM being gobbled up..!! Image

It's enough to make a grown man weep..... :lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------

You can also take still snapshots with this, for which you can set the image format. You can choose where to save the section you've just cut out, or the snapshot you've just taken, which are distinguished from the original by the addition of a date/time stamp. If you don't change this, it automatically saves both 'cut' and snapshot alongside the original.

Using the video trimming is incredibly easy. The start of your section is selected by clicking on the '<' symbol below the player controls; the end is selected by clicking on the '>' symbol. To save the section you've selected, just click on the 'scissors' () symbol between them.....and it will be saved to the location you've selected.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Do be aware that all of this requires a fairly new glibc, and an even newer libstdc++.so.6; don't even think about running this in the 5-series Pups. I've so far only tried this out in 32-bit Xenial 7081 (one of the older 'betas'); I'll be trying it out in Tahr 606 later this afternoon, and will report back.

(EDIT:- Yes, it does run in Tahr 606. Which means it will also run in 605, since neither the glibc or libstdc++.so.6 got changed in the 'upgrade'; that was mainly the addition of the UEFI stuff. Goes without saying it should also run in Unicorn, Werewolf, Zesty, Artful, or Bionic (when it appears next month)).

Sooo; for anybody feeling brave enough to tempt RAM 'starvation' - it uses around 270 MB while running in /tmp, which for the handful of functions involved is absolutely crazy ( :lol: ), you can find 'em here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/l8b3quw ... osslessCut

See what you think of it.

Mike. :wink:

greengeek

#12 Post by greengeek »

Hi Mike,

no workee in Slacko 5.6 derivative

Code: Select all

# LosslessCut
LosslessCut: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.18' not found (required by LosslessCut)
LosslessCut: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.19' not found (required by LosslessCut)
LosslessCut: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.18' not found (required by /opt/LosslessCut/libnode.so)
#
It's fair to say that you warned me!

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, GG.

Yeah; I did warn you.....didn't I? :wink:

Here's summat to think about, though...

You know how Watchdog has built his Palemoon/Firefox packages for older Pups.....with a newer glibc, and all the trimmings, built-in? I think we could do worse than to come up with a 'standardised' way of creating packages with a newer version built-in, specifically for use-cases just like this one. 'Cos I, for one, would love to get LosslessCut working in 570.....and from there, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to get it running in 560, too (I run both, as you know).

However; my personal scripting skills are just a hair's-breadth this side of 'abysmal'. And that's putting it kindly!

What d'you think of the idea, though? I can't see any reason at all why this couldn't be extended to other packages, too. Anyway; I'm in 560 ATM; I'm backing up everything as I post this, 'cos I'm going to try battleshooter's 'glibc-220' upgrade that he put together for Racy/Carolina. It's enabled me to run Chrome in Racy, which you can't do with the standard release. I have my doubts it'll work, but hey! it's worth a try, at least.....just out of curiosity, if for no other reason.

I'll keep ya posted.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 12 Apr 2018, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#14 Post by Mike Walsh »

[Mucho thanks to battleshooter once again for this 'upgrade'.]

Hi again, GG.

Good news. I have it working in 560! (EDIT:- Working in 570, too.....yay!!)

I've installed battleshooter's glibc-220 'upgrade'.....and insofar as I can tell, it's not 'interfering' with anything else at all. (In addition to giving you an upgraded 'glibc', it also upgrades 'libstdc++.so.6', too.)

LosslessCut now runs, and seems to be functioning as it should.

I've put battleshooter's stuff together into an archive, which you can find here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1l2xk1q4t ... de.tar.bz2

I've done it this way, because the links from the original thread ( http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96316) to meownplanet are long dead. Russoodle rescued most of battleshooter's stuff, but it takes a lot of digging through the listing to find the relevant bits. I've just put 'em all together to make it easier. It's quite a large package (around 75 MB), and Packit! didn't make it much smaller... :roll: :lol:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Unzip the archive whichever way you do these things, then install the stuff in this order:-

a) Install the 'GCC deps' first.
b) Next, install the 'binutils-2.24.pet'.
c) Then, despite the confusion on the thread over this, install the 'glibc-2.20.pet' next.
d) Finally, install the 'gcc-4.9.2.pet'. According to battleshooter, it needs doing in this order because the upgraded 'gcc' is dependent on the upgraded glibc. It worked for me in this order, so you should be OK.

Then, load the 'LosslessCut' SFS, and......it should fire up. (It takes a few seconds, 'cos these Electron-based apps all unpack a large portion of their files into /tmp for the duration - very much like AppImages do.)

Let me know how you get on with it, please..!

greengeek

#15 Post by greengeek »

Mike Walsh wrote:Good news. I have it working in 560! (EDIT:- Working in 570, too.....yay!!)

Unzip the archive whichever way you do these things, then install the stuff in this order:-

a) Install the 'GCC deps' first.
b) Next, install the 'binutils-2.24.pet'.
c) Then, despite the confusion on the thread over this, install the 'glibc-2.20.pet' next.
d) Finally, install the 'gcc-4.9.2.pet'. According to battleshooter, it needs doing in this order because the upgraded 'gcc' is dependent on the upgraded glibc. It worked for me in this order, so you should be OK.

Then, load the 'LosslessCut' SFS, and......it should fire up.
Excellent work Mike! It worked perfectly following your instructions. Nice to have an easy to drive video cutter in the toolbox - even if it is somewhat gargantuan.

I like the frame by frame microstepper - easier than my previous method of specifying timestamps to ffmpeg by cli trial and error.

cheers!

Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, GG.

Ah, good; glad it worked for ya.

Regarding the 'gargantuan' size; that is, of course, why I made it up as an SFS.....so's it can be loaded/unloaded as & when necessary.

Battleshooter originally put this glibc 'upgrade' together simply for getting Chrome/Chromium working in Racy & Carolina.....but I just keep finding new uses for it! The beauty of it is that it doesn't overwrite the existing glibc/libstdc++.so.6; it adds these alongside them.....so that applications can pick up the relevant version that they're looking for.

Seems to work rather well!

Enjoy.

watchdog

#17 Post by watchdog »

In slacko 5.6 a general glibc upgrade is not required: only libstdc++.so.6 must be upgraded. I used libstdc++.so.6 from centos 6 for the following package.

LosslessCut-tweaked.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nBgn2h ... sp=sharing

Mike Walsh

#18 Post by Mike Walsh »

Ah! Thanks, watchdog; I did wonder about that, I will admit.

'Twas pure experimentation on my part. Since it worked, and all else appeared to function OK, I left it at that... However, I've since found it's also enabled me to run a newer version of Cinelerra. Previously, only 4.2 would work in Slackos 560 & 570; now, I can run 5.0 (which is a more competent release), so; I'm quite happy with that.

Cheers for the info, anyway!

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#19 Post by greengeek »

watchdog wrote:In slacko 5.6 a general glibc upgrade is not required: only libstdc++.so.6 must be upgraded. I used libstdc++.so.6 from centos 6 for the following package.
LosslessCut-tweaked.pet:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nBgn2h ... sp=sharing
Thanks Watchdog - works well on my Slacko 5.6 derivative.

I do have a problem with Lossless cut not recognising .avi files. Webm is fine, but not avi

Do others have this same issue?

watchdog

#20 Post by watchdog »

greengeek wrote: I do have a problem with Lossless cut not recognising .avi files.
Do others have this same issue?
Same here.