How to make sfs with app icon on desktop? (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
neerajkolte

How to make sfs with app icon on desktop? (Solved)

#1 Post by neerajkolte »

I made an opera-stable_26.0.1656.60_amd64.sfs for Fatdog.
It works ok.
Gives menu entry which I can drag and drop on desktop or quick launch.

I wanted to know is there any way I can make the sfs when loaded place an Icon on desktop or quick launch?

I looked at pinboard file but can't guess how to make sfs append to it.
May be some other way?
Thanks.

- Neeraj.
Last edited by neerajkolte on Wed 31 Dec 2014, 07:49, edited 2 times in total.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

solo

#2 Post by solo »

If I'm not mistaken, it's possible to execute a script when the sfs is being loaded, so yes, the script needs to append a line to PuppyPin.

I'm running Precise Puppy myself, so I could be wrong, but in my setup, the PuppyPin that needs to be changed is located in the /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/ folder.

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Hi, Neeraj.

You can't do it directly. I would suggest that you provide the user with a separate
script to do that once your sfs is loaded.

You must take the existing file at /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin and process it a
little with a script.

Something like this:

Prepare your opera icon and description in PuppyPin line syntax (see example in
before-last line in the attached pic)

You take the last line off PuppyPin (you store it in a temp file somewhere as well as
the edited PuppyPin)

You concatenate your opera line and then the final line to your temporary PuppyPin
into the new PuppyPin, and display it

Something like: (the following is stil rough, I know;
you'll have to do your own fine tuning!) :)

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# /root/my-applications/bin/Add-icon-line-to-PuppyPin.sh
####
## variables
ROXF="/root/Choices/ROX-Filer"
cd $ROXF
Opera="  <icon x="640" y="1008" label="opera">opera</icon>"
# The above line probably needs to be checked to have the escape character 
# inserted at the right places.
a="`wc -l /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin`" 
# How many lines in PuppyPin. head (below) will need this number.

## Process
cp /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPi
tail -n 1  /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin > /tmp/closing
b="`expr $a - 1 `"
head -n $b /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin > /tmp/main
echo "$Opera" >> /tmp/main
cat /tmp/closing >> /tmp/main

# Now I leave the last lines as remarks because you should make sure, in your 
# editor, that your /tmp/main file has the proper PuppyPin syntax. ROX is pretty 
# fussy about it. # Un-remark them when you're sure.

# cp -f /tmp/main $ROXF/PuppyPin

## display the new PuppyPin (refresh)

# rox -p=$ROXF/PuppyPin 

# Even if you're already in /root/Choices/ROX-Filer folder (see first line), you still 
# have to indcate the full path. By default, ROX would normally pick its PuppyPin 
# up simply in /root. This is a Puppy set-up, remember?! :-)
I think that's it! Good luck!

BFN.

musher0
Attachments
current-PuppyPin(1).jpg
(63.96 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

neerajkolte

#4 Post by neerajkolte »

Thank you both for replies.
@solo I will have to take a look at sfs loader script for that, which probably I won't understand, but I will try.

@musher thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking about the same thing, I will try.
But as the use has to do something himself. I was thinking about giving him desktop file direct so he could drag and place it anywhere.
Better yet, I also made an directory which I believe can be called an rox app.
It when clicked gives user opera browser window, on subsequent clicks adds tabs to existing window.
But on right click, it gives 2 options "New window" and "New Private window".
It also has opera Icon.
So I think I will supply user that and let him place it any where.

But first I will play with your suggestion.
Thanks again.

- Neeraj.
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

LazY Puppy

#5 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

Rox Filer has two built in commands to add desktop icons to the PuppyPin and/or to remove desktop icons from PuppyPin. It's easy to use.

Remove Desktop Icon:

<PinboardRemove>
<Path>/usr/local/RoxApp_Builder/Application_Starter/Multimedia</Path>
<Label>Multimedia</Label>
</PinboardRemove>
Add Desktop Icon:

<PinboardAdd>
<Path>/usr/local/RoxApp_Builder/roxapp_builder</Path>
<X>432</X>
<Y>538</Y>
<Label>RoxApp Builder</Label>
<Args></Args>
<Locked>true</Locked>
<Shortcut></Shortcut>
</PinboardAdd>
Just wrap the above examples -edited to fit to your needs- with this code:

#!/bin/bash
echo "<?xml version=\"1.0\"?>
<env:Envelope xmlns:env=\"http://www.w3.org/2001/12/soap-envelope\">
<env:Body xmlns=\"http://rox.sourceforge.net/SOAP/ROX-Filer\">
... ... ...
</env:Body>
</env:Envelope>"  | rox -R 
and create a executable script out of it.

Put the Script into the /root/Startup folder of your SFS and sfs_load should execute it after loading the SFS.

It's just that easy!
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

neerajkolte

#6 Post by neerajkolte »

Wow my friend,
I will try this as soon as I get near my machine and report back.
Thanks.

- Neeraj.
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

solo

#7 Post by solo »

Bookmarked!!! :)

neerajkolte

#8 Post by neerajkolte »

Hi LazY Puppy,
I made the script to place Icon for my opera roxapp on desktop like

#!/bin/sh
<PinboardAdd>
<Path>/usr/share/opera_rox_app/Opera</Path>
<X>432</X>
<Y>538</Y>
<Label>Opera</Label>
<Args></Args>
<Locked>true</Locked>
<Shortcut></Shortcut>
</PinboardAdd> 
in /root/Startup of my sfs.
When sfs is loaded it doesn't autorun..
When I click on the script while sfs is loaded, it does it's job beautifully.
I don't know why It doesn't autorun while loading.

I also made the script to remove Icon like

#!/bin/sh
<PinboardRemove>
<Label>Opera</Label>
</PinboardRemove> 
It also works nicely.
But I am not sure how to incorporate it in the sfs and how to make it run before sfs get's unloaded.
Any suggestions I can try?
Thanks.

- Neeraj.
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

rufwoof

#9 Post by rufwoof »

OK so I created a new file and put "Be Happy" text into that file

Next I set the icon for that file to -> happy.xbm

ThenI created a script to

Add that program to the desktop
Sleep for a while
Remove that program from the desktop

Which after being made executable and when run the icon appears and I can click on it and it opens my leafpad text editor - and shows the "Be Happy" content - but I have to be quick otherwise the icon disappears.

Makes you wonder about all sorts of uses - instead of yafsplash etc. !!!

Thanks Lazy Puppy

#!/bin/bash
<PinboardAdd>
<Path>/root/smile</Path>
<X>432</X>
<Y>538</Y>
<Label>Don't Worry</Label>
<Args></Args>
<Locked>true</Locked>
<Shortcut></Shortcut> 
</PinboardAdd> 

sleep 5

<PinboardRemove>
<Path>/root/smile</Path>
<Label>Don't Worry</Label> 
</PinboardRemove> 
Attachments
img.png
(74.14 KiB) Downloaded 443 times

neerajkolte

#10 Post by neerajkolte »

ok the problem might be with fatdog's sfs loader script. I will post on fatdog's thread.
I tested the sfs in tahr64 it does give the icon. Opera doesn't work though, but that's for another day.

I am yet to find how to use the remove icon script.
Thanks

- Neeraj.
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

SFR

#11 Post by SFR »

FatDog has its own script for loading SFS files, it's /sbin/load_sfs.sh.
But it also has an autostart mechanism:
load_sfs.sh wrote:# In addition to standard structure, Fatdog64 SFS stores some metadata in
# /tmp/sfs. This metadata isn't normally visible as /tmp is usually
# over-mounted and hidden by tmpfs.
# The metadata is:
# a) /tmp/sfs/autorun.sh - this is the load/unload script.
# This script will be run when the SFS is loaded/unloaded, with these:
# $1-event (load/unload/systemload/systemunload), $2-sfs aufs path.
# Autorun can be disabled, see DISABLE_AUTORUN below.
# b) /tmp/sfs/msg - this is the message that will be displayed when the SFS
# is loaded.
So, an examplary autostart script could look like this:

#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
  load|systemload)
    # put your stuff here
  ;;
  unload|systemunload)
    # put your stuff here
  ;;
esac
The 'systemload' & 'systemunload' events are passed when load_sfs.sh is started with start or stop parameter, what takes place at boot.

But for you case only 'load' and 'unload' params are necessary, as you don't want to add the icon every time system boots and remove it every time system shuts down.
Btw, it woulnd't make sense anyway, because when load_sfs.sh gets executed at boot, there's no X and ROX running yet (if I'm correct), so 'rox -R' won't work.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

trio

#12 Post by trio »

The default is to load any suitable SFS files that are found at /mnt/home (same place as the 'pup_save' file). The BootManager, found in the System menu, enables you to change to whatever you want to load.
'openoffice-2.2.0.sfs' has /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin and globicons, also /etc/profile.d/openoffice.sh and these are enhancements that Puppy now recognises. The first two files specify desktop icons, and you should see these appear on the desktop when the SFS file loads, and if you choose not to load it then the icons should disappear.

LazY Puppy

#13 Post by LazY Puppy »

Btw, it woulnd't make sense anyway, because when load_sfs.sh gets executed at boot, there's no X and ROX running yet (if I'm correct), so 'rox -R' won't work.
You just could make the script (the one that adds the desktop icon) wait until X has appeared on the screen.

Something like:

while [ "`pidof X`" = "" ]; do
 sleep 1
done
or probably

while [ ! "$DISPLAY" ]; do
 sleep 1
done
But I am not sure how to incorporate it in the sfs and how to make it run before sfs get's unloaded.
Any suggestions I can try?
You could also extend the script that adds the desktop icon. Add some code to echo out a second script that runs in background within a loop. Inside of the loop just check if the SFS is still loaded and let it sleep a few seconds if it is still loaded and before to check again for the SFS loaded.

If it is not loaded anymore, execute the script that removes the desktop icon.

Here you can find a example, how I did created this to unload a SFS automatically after the application is exited.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

rufwoof

#14 Post by rufwoof »

LazY Puppy wrote:You could also extend the script that adds the desktop icon. Add some code to echo out a second script that runs in background within a loop. Inside of the loop just check if the SFS is still loaded and let it sleep a few seconds if it is still loaded and before to check again for the SFS loaded.

If it is not loaded anymore, execute the script that removes the desktop icon.

Here you can find a example, how I did created this to unload a SFS automatically after the application is exited.
I like your load sfs/run app/unload sfs script Lazy Puppy.

Up to now, as I run with no savefile, I've opted to wrap sfs's within RoxApps, so that any changes to the sfs are preserved i.e. if you change mplayer options and when mplayer is in a sfs. But I've had it all as a one way street, where the sfs is loaded, but no unloading occurs (just remains resident and is quicker to start if restarted a 2nd or 3rd time).

i.e. menu or rox-app directory (file) clicked, rox app AppRun runs and deletes the puppy root/.config program configuration file and symbolic links the programs config file to a copy in the RoxApp directory, loads the sfs, runs the program.

There is a finite boundary at how many sfs's can be loaded, something like 255 I believe, so unloading when a program finishes is less likely to hit such limits. It also frees up memory for lower memory systems. Personally I get no where near that limit however as I've merged a number of sfs's into single sfs's (such as my multi-media sfs holding audacity, blender, openshot, x-vidcap ...etc).

My basic/core puppy is around 75MB and is just leafpad, gcalculator, CD/DVD tools and the basic Puppy desktop stuff (jwm config, remaster etc.). All the rest I load via sfs's (except for Firefox which I run as a portable app). Providing you don't store data inside puppy space but on HDD instead then there's little need for a savefile - just remaster whenever a infrequent change to the core puppy is desired. I've set remasterpup2 to use no compression so remastering is very quick. I then merge puppy sfs into initrd and compress that (i.e. only vmlinuz and initrd.gz needed to boot).

Here's a example for ooo4kids, a light version of Libre Office

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

Your uncompressed and all in one initrd will use all ram so I assume you have plenty rufwoof....how big do these initrd get?
I never merge sfs...all apps get their own ..some are just a few hundred k.... thing is I never get past say 40 loaded so not a worry of running out of loop devices assuming the full quota is enabled (it varies from pup to pup kernel) which is the real limit.
More likely you would fill up free tmpfs space loading the sfs to ram before then after which they will be running from source media...(assuming yer sfs loader is working properly...the one in lighthouse was not :D )

Only time I do need to unload is when testing... (and I wish ROX would let go of the dam things in puppy :D )

Seemed like one of those free for all threads so thought I'd join in since I use this geshinga ;)

mike

rufwoof

#16 Post by rufwoof »

If I lzma -ze (extreme) my initrd with (uncompressed) puppy sfs inside it shrinks to 75MB. For gzip -4 (mid level compression) its around 110MB. Uncompressed I believe its around 270MB. This PC has 1.5GB (I also have 3GB swap partition, but that rarely ever seems to get used). My tray shows 1.7GB of free space and rarely gets down below 1GB free.

Firefox - which can eat space (cache etc) if inside puppy space, in my case doesn't apply as I use portable firefox. The only time I load firefox into ram is when doing online banking, when I cold reboot a pristine puppy and download the latest firefox directly from mozilla into ram. In such cases however I load nothing else so again not a issue. I'm on a Virgin Media 50Mbit internet link and downloading the 40MB firefox from mozilla is 6 seconds.

Libre, my next main app. is now being loaded as a rox-app and is similar to a full install.

Multi-media, when I load audacity, openshot, blender ...etc all as one single sfs is my largest and when running in ram generally that works ok except if a big video is being edited or a longish 3D animation being produced - in those cases I set the temp/work folders to use HDD based folders/directories.

I'm more of a constant/regular rebooter (so 10 second reboot times are nice) rather than a single/same boot running for months type person. After video editing for instance often I'll just reboot to then start another activity. I suspect for continual/long term same session memory issues could become more apparent.

If I push things and look to load everything at the same time then memory does drop low, but that's just testing and not a sort of situation that actually occurs in practice. Typically I rarely have more than 3 or 4 things all running at the same time, not 20+.

Currently the choice that seems to be working best for me is non compressed puppy merged into initrd and then that initrd compressed using gzip -4 (moderate compression). Non compressed and initrd takes relatively longer to copy into memory when booting, higher compression and it takes relatively longer to decompress, -4 is a nice midway choice that seems to work well. And puppy sfs is in effect uncompressed in ram so conceptually faster in operation.

My thinking evolution wise is that as more drivers/firmware come along, so also will 'standard' memory levels rise such that having stuff in memory that's not being used isn't a issue.

musher0

#17 Post by musher0 »

solo wrote:Bookmarked!!! :)
Same here! :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

neerajkolte

#18 Post by neerajkolte »

Thanks SFR your suggestion worked like charm.
I made /tmp/sfs/autorun.sh script in my sfs containing...

#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
  load)
    # put your stuff here
    echo "<?xml version="1.0"?>
<env:Envelope xmlns:env="http://www.w3.org/2001/12/soap-envelope">
<env:Body xmlns="http://rox.sourceforge.net/SOAP/ROX-Filer">
<PinboardAdd>
<X>432</X>
<Y>538</Y>
<Label>Opera</Label>
<Args></Args>
<Locked>true</Locked>
<Shortcut></Shortcut>
</PinboardAdd> 
  ;;
  unload)
    # put your stuff here
    echo "<?xml version="1.0"?>
<env:Envelope xmlns:env="http://www.w3.org/2001/12/soap-envelope">
<env:Body xmlns="http://rox.sourceforge.net/SOAP/ROX-Filer">
<PinboardRemove>
<Label>Opera</Label>
</PinboardRemove> 
  ;;
esac
It gives desktop icon when sfs is loaded and removes when unloaded.
Really nice.

Thanks, I will take a look at it.

In the mean time I feel my opera-stable_26.0.1656.60_amd64.sfs is ready to give to Fatdog users.
I will make new post in Software thread as soon as the file loads to my google drive.

Thanks everyone.
I will mark this as solved now. Edit: I couldn't add solved to old title, (must be a number of character limit) So I changed the title a little bit. Hope it's OK.
Have a happy new year everybody.

- Neeraj.
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

mikeb

#19 Post by mikeb »

The hijack goes on :D but you got your answer :)

rufwoof
If I lzma -ze (extreme) my initrd with (uncompressed) puppy sfs inside it shrinks to 75MB. For gzip -4 (mid level compression) its around 110MB. Uncompressed I believe its around 270MB.
yes so even with your decent amount of ram saving 160MB seems worth it and as you notice its fast...bear in mind most web pages use gz and no one complains about that. Another point is lzma/xz and so on seems a bit fickle...what will be next weeks choice. At least gz is a long term stable you CAN rely on.

By the way you can tame firefox and why the hell anyone is using the disk cache with broadband is a mystery to me (its for dial up/limited mobile)...makes no performance difference..indeed it probably slows it down and current pages are in RAM anyway.

As for paranoia just have a preset profile that you can load and tweak it to make it nice.

mike

LazY Puppy

#20 Post by LazY Puppy »

Can somebody please post the load_sfs.sh script from FatDog and mention the exactly version of FatDog where it was taken from?

Thanks
RSH