[FIXED] usb keyboard drivers - problem during init

For drivers and kernel modules.
peebee

[FIXED] usb keyboard drivers - problem during init

#1 Post by peebee »

FIXED - 666philb has created updated versions of his kernels that have fixed this problem - thanks 666philb

The problem:

A desktop pc with a usb keyboard.....running a system > k3.12.nn

The keyboard works fine during grub4dos to allow selection of the frugal install to boot....

The keyboard does not work during init when a number is requested to select a savefolder to use when there are multiple choices available....

Once booted into a working puppy the keyboard works again.

Systems <= k3.4.nn work as expected in all phases of boot.

There have been some sort of changes to usb device handling between kernel 3.4.nn and 3.12.nn

In kernel 3.4.nn lsmod shows that evdev.ko is loaded

In kernel 3.12.nn evdev.ko is no longer present in /lib/modules/3.12.nn/kernel/drivers/input

I suspect that these changes have somehow caused the read command in init to stop working

Can anybody shed light on how usb keyboards are handled in kernels since 3.12.nn (or maybe earlier) and what other tests besides a read might be put into init to diagnose what is amiss?

Thanks
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Tue 03 Feb 2015, 19:35, edited 2 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

I tested this on several machines with Tahrpup60-PAE, a wired USB keyboard and multiple savefiles. It worked correctly each time.

Evdev is an Xorg driver. I cannot see how it is the culprit, unless there is something about your specific hardware that requires it.

peebee

#3 Post by peebee »

rcrsn51 wrote:I tested this on several machines with Tahrpup60-PAE, a wired USB keyboard and multiple savefiles. It worked correctly each time.

Evdev is an Xorg driver. I cannot see how it is the culprit, unless there is something about your specific hardware that requires it.
I admit I'm clutching at straws.....but something's changed between 3.4.nn (which works on my hardware) and 3.12.nn onwards which doesn't.....

Are you able to patch initrd.gz with Mavrothals patched init and send me the /initrd/tmp/bootinit.log so I can see if there are any differences?

Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64