Slacko5.7-2015 and 2015a

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rodocop

#16 Post by rodocop »

8Geee wrote:Did you use Puppy Universal Installer?
Did you save to a partition on a USB stick or the SSD?
Was this a frugal install or a full install?
Of course, you could have a bad download or burned the CD too fast, these are also known things that go wrong.
Did you ever have Windows installed? Even now?
It was manual frugal installation into the Windows XP PC: it has Grub4DOS installed some time ago with windows installer puppy or by Grub4DOS puppy installer (cannot remember now).

Time to time I'm trying new puplets by creating new folder, unpacking 3 files (vmlinuz, initrd and sfs) there and updating menu.lst.

I never was faced with such a case of not saving while had installed more than 20 puplets on different PCs (including current one) by this method.

8Geee

#17 Post by 8Geee »

Hmmm... I don't come from an XP or Windows enviroment. Mine was with Linux to Linux. Its different, and I'm not sure of your problem at all. I decided to buy an external full size cd/dvd burner for $50 and let the eee do the work. Newegg has these.

Judging your recent post, it looks like the save file is not being created. Perhaps installing a blank sfs file, properly named would help.

See this posting http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 082#751082

How did you format the USB stick? the sfs file must be ext2,3,or 4. You might be having a formatting problem W32 --> ext . In Grub4DOS the boot partition is FAT16 16Mb size, the rest of the stick should be ext. Perhaps syslinux is a better choice.

Have you tried this ?[/url]
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

8Geee

GHOST and servers

#18 Post by 8Geee »

In the "full driver" version, I posted some concerns about gHOST and servers. Such things apply here, and I'd recommend a glance at the link. It may not apply, or it may. If you have used a slacko-derivative, I ask if the provided update links to glibc 2.15.9. Comments are appreciated on this topic.

regards 8Geee

8Geee

Testing an Update

#19 Post by 8Geee »

Recently in thee past weeks experimenting with the pup, I found I can trim quite a bit more from the iso, and get the openssl 1.0.1.k installed with library files. I'm currently posting with it. The servers will remain, as the eeepc is becoming legacy. Whereas the original distro has a 152Mb iso, the revised version will be 143.2Mb. Extra screenys added, and my new simple "Traffic Light" drive icons found here..

When uploaded, a separate file for the drive icons will be included for those that want just the icons. A guide text will be included. For those D/L the distro the md5Notes will explain the interpretations (color of light, and traffic light itself).

The "full-driver version" not included, just the older eee's.

8Geee

#20 Post by 8Geee »

The slacko5.7-2015a version is now uploaded. A reminder that 'other files' contain the tarball for for the drive icons only, in case you want to try them elsewhere. The icon set is already included in this 2015a revision.

The revision is posted in the first post of this thread as UPDATE.

regards
8Geee

mini-jaguar

#21 Post by mini-jaguar »

I would really like to use either one of these on my 700 series eee, but I'm having so much trouble trying to install guvcview that it would probably be much better to use a regular Slacko. (actually I'm having troubles with other Slacko versions as well, but I would appreciate recommendations for a decent video capture .pet)

8Geee

#22 Post by 8Geee »

I would think vlc would work well. IIRC Slacko5.7 can/should use an older version like 2.0.6 or 2.0.8. The new 2.10 might have a few dependancy issues. Playback might be an issue, the Celeron in the eee is weak.

plumtreed

#23 Post by plumtreed »

It is good to see the continued interest in the eeePC and the iso you have assembled for it. It looks and feels good, seems to handle everything OK.

I'm having touchpad problems and need to 'right click' or Enter to activate but I seem to remember there is a Puppy way to adjust the touchpad. Can't find it here?

My other issue is connecting via mobile broadband but.....hey, look this good and I will enjoy using it once I get things sorted....thanks for you effort.

I use the eeePC701 to get on the net and my files and storage are in various selected cloud storage apps.

Again, nice job and thanks!

8Geee

#24 Post by 8Geee »

Thanks for the kind words. The 900a model is all I use, so I have a real need to keep it going. I donated my original 8G model to a buddy that lost his PC due to flood-damage. That one still works fine.

The touchpad can be configured in MENU --> SETUP --> Mouse/Keyboard Wizard. Click on that, and on right is Touchpad option.

The 701 has a vertical scrollbar, make sure that option is checked by clicking the scrollbar tab. Back on the first tab, the sense and speed can be adjusted.

plumtreed

#25 Post by plumtreed »

Thanks for the 'keypad' help........i got the 'mobile broadband' working and all is going well.

....many thanks.

8Geee

openssl 1.0.1o

#26 Post by 8Geee »

In other news, a reminder that there is a new openssl version "o" that can be downloaded using the MENU --> SETUP --> Package Manager- latest from Slackware

Both the file and the 'solib' file should be downloaded. A reboot is needed after install. Then the usr/doc files can be removed.

plumtreed

#27 Post by plumtreed »

Is there a way to change the wallpaper?

8Geee

#28 Post by 8Geee »

yes, there is a way.

In /root/my-applications is a folder "MyFiles". Open it and click on the pictures to view them.

To make a wallpaper, RIGHT-click on one of your drives and click on BACKDROP. A small window will open that allows dragging of your fave wallpaper file to the box, and there it is... your new wallpaper.

plumtreed

#29 Post by plumtreed »

Thanks again.........would never have found that!

The wallpapers were very attractive and scenic but I like a less cluttered background so I imported one.

....should I ask about using Dropbox?

Mike7

#30 Post by Mike7 »

Will slacko5.7-2015 work on an Asus eeepc 1000HA?
Carolite-1.2 w/FF38 on bootable 16G flash drive; Asus eeePC 1000HA, Atom CPU, 2G RAM, 160G HDD.

8Geee

#31 Post by 8Geee »

It should, according to Wikipedia. The graphics are i915/945. I think thise are Windows based, so grub4dos will accomplish.

Mike7

#32 Post by Mike7 »

8Geee wrote:grub4dos will accomplish.
Not sure what you mean.

I haven't been using grub4dos, and frankly I don't know how to use it.

I would install slacko5.7-2015a the same way I installed Carolite: from Puppeee-4.4, using bootflash to make the new pendrive bootable, then copying the iso files - uncompressed using isomaster - to the pendrive).

If this isn't a good way to install slacko5.7-2015a, please let me know.
Carolite-1.2 w/FF38 on bootable 16G flash drive; Asus eeePC 1000HA, Atom CPU, 2G RAM, 160G HDD.

8Geee

#33 Post by 8Geee »

Sounds OK 2 me.

Haven't used that method, reports I read are good.

Mike7

#34 Post by Mike7 »

8Geee wrote:Sounds OK 2 me.

Haven't used that method, reports I read are good.
it's a method I figured out for myself, because I'm trying to do all installations without a CD drive (since the eeepc doesn't have one).

Do you happen to know if the bootflash utility in Puppeee (and other Puppies) uses grub4dos as the bootloader?

Mike7

#35 Post by Mike7 »

8Geee-

I saw in an earlier post in this thread that you said
the sfs file must be ext2,3,or 4
Is this something specific to Slacko? My Puppeee-4.4 and Carolite-1.2 pendrives are formatted FAT32 and both seem to perform saves without a problem.

However. if an ext formatting is preferable for slacko5.7-2015a, I will format the new pendrive with ext2 before doing the installation. Is that right? Or should I make two partitions with different formatting?

I'm a little confused. Can you straighten this out?

Thanks.