Introducing April64 (and April i686 on page 12)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gcmartin

#301 Post by gcmartin »

@BarryK, there has been testing done on the missing Linux commands to assist finding files in the system. That thread is here, with member contributions.

Would you take a look to consider its benefit in your WOOFQ system builder.

James C

#302 Post by James C »

Finally got around to installing April 64 6.9.2. Will need to pass on the 6.9.6..... not interested in an office suite.
Interestingly, an Opera pet I threw together for Slacko 64 works out of the box in April 64.

Code: Select all

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Quirky April64, version 6.92

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0a65 (rev a2)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
  Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768x16
  Depth (bits, or planes):              24
  Modules requested to be loaded:       dbe 

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
  Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
  Loaded modules: dbe dri2 exa extmod fb glx kbd mouse shadowfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
  Resolution:  1440x900 pixels (381x238 millimeters)
  Depth:       24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
Attachments
April 64 6.9.2.png
(102.06 KiB) Downloaded 1143 times

James C

#303 Post by James C »

I checked Pmount ,launched from the desktop icon and the menu, in 6.8.9 (before I replaced it),here in 6.9.2 and 6.9.4 and had no problems. This box has the two NTFS partitions from the evil Windows 7 on sda.

For whatever its worth.
Attachments
pmount.jpg
(75.4 KiB) Downloaded 1060 times

linuxcbon

#304 Post by linuxcbon »

April64 version 6.96 :

# vlc
VLC media player 2.1.5 Rincewind (revision 2.1.4-49-gdab6cb5)
[0x6e3938] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[0x62dfa8] main libvlc error: interface "globalhotkeys,none" initialization failed
[0x62dfa8] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
Unable to open locale fr-FR in ICU, error code 4
[0x6e3938] qt4 interface error: Unable to load extensions module
- libreoffice works ok, but it's too big (388 M), and abiword, gnumeric are smaller.

- pidgin missing desktop icon

- clang, clang-check, libclang.so etc..., it's a compiler part of llvm..maybe should go to devx ?

-

# basichtmlviewer 
(surfer:26798): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtkhtml-minimum-font-size after class was initialised
Segmentation fault
dmesg
[ 4516.778603] surfer[26798]: segfault at 18 ip 00007f28e0fa51d3 sp 00007fff60547610 error 4 in libgnet-2.0.so.0.8.0[7f28e0f94000+18000]

# get-edid 
This is read-edid version 3.0.1. Prepare for some fun.
Attempting to use i2c interface
Looks like no busses have an EDID. Sorry!
Attempting to use the classical VBE interface
Illegal instruction
[ 4566.906712] traps: get-edid[27426] trap invalid opcode ip:7f2cbd3d1a81 sp:7fffcd60caa0 error:0 in libx86.so.1[7f2cbd3c8000+29000]
pup-advert-blocker : missing icons "start help quit"

geany : missing icons "save all" , "build"

/etc/udev/hwdb.d/20-pci-vendor-model.hwdb and /usr/share/misc/magic.mgc are big files, needed ?

# surfer
google.com
type a word and do a search
(surfer:32454): HtmlCss-ERROR **: 1. return -1
Trace/breakpoint trap
[ 4927.573204] traps: surfer[32454] trap int3 ip:7f6c92e7af8c sp:7fff53d13240 error:0

# xkbconfigmanager
missing exit icon

# run-pureftpd 
cat: /var/run/pure-ftpd.pid: No such file or directory
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try 'grep --help' for more information.
/usr/sbin/run-pureftpd: line 35: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
/usr/sbin/run-pureftpd: line 36: syntax error: unexpected end of file
# pupradio
radio channels not working :
WA FM
[0x7fb334001188] access_mms access error: cannot connect to audio.wafm.com.au:80

BBC radio1
[0x7f6764005ea8] main input error: open of `http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbc ... a1b000f4a8' failed

P4 bandit
[0x7f664c005ea8] main input error: open of `mmsh://mms-cluster2.nextra.no/P4_Bandit?MSWMExt=.asf' failed

tv channels not working :
crocodile tv
wiggles tv
play school
frogs
bionic bunny 1 and 2

[0x7f28f00011d8] access_mms access error: no data received
[0x7fd5b80009b8] main input error: open of `rtsp://media1.abc.net.au/broadbandkids/20070702_1500/story3hi.rm' failed

jwmconfig
choose a jwm theme
chose Quirky60
cp: cannot stat /root/.jwm/themes/Quirky60-colors: No such file or directory

/usr/local/psync/psync
icons are missing

# pmount
/usr/sbin/pmount: line 186: printf: 586.632: invalid number
/usr/sbin/pmount: line 210: printf: 471.211: invalid number
/usr/sbin/pmount: line 186: printf: 9.53906: invalid number
/usr/sbin/pmount: line 210: printf: 7.3953: invalid number

I will try to compile abiword later, they made a patch for it...when I get time...or someone can test it : http://bugzilla.abisource.com/show_bug.cgi?id=13697

gcmartin

#305 Post by gcmartin »

PLEASE FORGIVE MY RESPONSE!!! IT is NOT directed at anyone at all in this thread or on the forum.

This post is NOT taking sides with @BarryK or anyone, as well. I make this post as an informational for EVERYONE's consideration!!! Maybe this is better suited in a thread outside of this one, but, its important in this thread as well.

@BarryK is developing a distro on a 64bit platform. That platform began its birth at 1GB RAM, with processors which raised the gamut of L2/L3 processor storage and with RAM slots that all ranges from its beginning of 8GB to today's 64GB of RAM capability on a single motherboard, no matter which family of RAM modules you discuss! Then, there also is the small (major) item of BUS speed changes.

In the Puppy beginnings 2005 days we, all of us, had everything from 386s to P3 whose machines were a mere meager hint at capability. 64bit in the hands of the public was not even mentioned.

Today, you or I cannot buy a new 32bit processor. In fact, who would want to buy one new, no matter what its mission....probably not one in this community understanding the costs.

So, I am in favor of asking this thread's community to NOT discuss sizes, and discuss what @BarryK in trying to achieve in the NEW APPROACHES he is present us since his return from his departure.

No one, except an ostrich with its head in the sand, is missing that 64bit power is here TO STAY. It is not going to go away. The ability that it affords us is what @BarryK (and FATDOG, Slacko64, LIghtHouse saw too, as they have not just embraced the facilities of the 64bit platforms, but, sort to exploit it for user functionality, where in the 32bit this was NOT a native facility.

Yes, boys and girls, WE are in a new era; time is moving forward; technology is advancing; Puppy Linux has, since the early entry of FATDOG, brought us into the use of this framework for productive user uses.

Let's give @BarryK an opportunity to map this past designs he sees from the others in this community, as he moves forward with a vision he feels will be both useful and attractive to people with 64bit PCs.

Thus far, I have seen that this particular PUP, at it current level runs as fast with all of its trimmings on my 1GB 64bit PC as well as my 8GB 64bit PC. There are technology issues being addressed with the BIOS-UEFI needs of 64bit PCs as well as creating a best-of-breed for a distro which intends to take advantage of the advancements of applications available, off the shelf, for users stable use.

I do not/may not/will not agree with EVERYTHING found, but, I understand the effort and can see the direction I think he envisions for a stable PUP in this community.

Let hold off, if we can, on the size issue where equating value to something by addressing its size with other products. Many/most of this community knows that that is simply "not true". Let's try to understand the functionality, benefits, and active developer supports with less focus on sizes.

In this kennel where 64bit PCs exist, we should try and understand how it now affords benefits that were not there a decade ago.

SIZE ONLY EQUATES TO ISOs/IMGs (for frugal/full). NOT TO PERFORMANCE OR FUNCTIONALITY. (Some programmers will offer ideas about coding methods I am sure; I agree!)

Others have attempted to disguise the "size" wording by calling offerings "bloat". Again, many/most disagree with that phrasing, as well, as any distro developer is trying their best to bring a best of breed as they see it to the Puppy community.

Remember, there are members here in the forum who do not have a 64bit PC. Thus @BarryK has presented Quirky and April (32).

The thread's title has changed to now support the work being done for 64bit PCs!

Again, no offense meant to anyone. Its just informational.

linuxcbon

#306 Post by linuxcbon »

@gcmartin Puppy is about being the smallest possible with a complete pack of programs. Even if you have 8GB or 8.000 GB of RAM, it doesn't matter.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#307 Post by BarryK »

linuxcbon wrote:- clang, clang-check, libclang.so etc..., it's a compiler part of llvm..maybe should go to devx ?
Thanks for the feedback.

I have created a template that moves all the bits of llvm that should be in the devx.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#308 Post by BarryK »

linuxcbon wrote: -

# basichtmlviewer 
(surfer:26798): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtkhtml-minimum-font-size after class was initialised
Segmentation fault
dmesg
[ 4516.778603] surfer[26798]: segfault at 18 ip 00007f28e0fa51d3 sp 00007fff60547610 error 4 in libgnet-2.0.so.0.8.0[7f28e0f94000+18000]
Thanks, fixed.

slavvo67

#309 Post by slavvo67 »

Referring to GC Martin's post above, I have both 32 bit and 64 bit PC's, so I appreciate not being alienated or forced into one version and while we are a community, I appreciate the fact that BarryK is back and pushing the Puppy product to new limits. I also appreciate shorter posts. :lol:

bark_bark_bark

#310 Post by bark_bark_bark »

slavvo67 wrote:Referring to GC Martin's post above, I have both 32 bit and 64 bit PC's, so I appreciate not being alienated or forced into one version and while we are a community, I appreciate the fact that BarryK is back and pushing the Puppy product to new limits. I also appreciate shorter posts. :lol:
There was a time when I only had 32bit computers and I said sort of the same thing about why we should still pay attention to the 32bit platform.

scsijon

redshift?

#311 Post by scsijon »

AS more and more people are moving to a lcd desktop as well as notebooks being lcd, I was wondering whether it would be worth adding redshift as a standard package?

http://www.jonls.dk/redshift

From the site:-
Redshift adjusts the color temperature of your screen according to your surroundings. This may help your eyes hurt less if you are working in front of the screen at night. This program is inspired by f.lux (please see this post for the reason why I started this project).

Redshift adjusts the color temperature according to the position of the sun. A different color temperature is set during night and daytime. During twilight and early morning, the color temperature transitions smoothly from night to daytime temperature to allow your eyes to slowly adapt. At night the color temperature should be set to match the lamps in your room. This is typically a low temperature at around 3000K-4000K (default is 3700K). During the day, the color temperature should match the light from outside, typically around 5500K-6500K (default is 5500K). The light has a higher temperature on an overcast day.

Sage

#312 Post by Sage »

..worth adding redshift..
Unnecessary waste of byte space? Stand up and close the blinds? Turn around in your chair? Use calories, live longer?

Volhout

UEFI

#313 Post by Volhout »

Will it boot secure under UEFI ?

Ted Dog

#314 Post by Ted Dog »

not working for me.. have to boot in BIOS to get video to work. most likely do to not having EFI in kernel.

gcmartin

#315 Post by gcmartin »

@BarryK, the Hardinfo package you are using does not have the updates that @Kirk secured for this community several years back. Multiple PUPs use it. Is there a chance you could update WOOFQ/April's?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#316 Post by BarryK »

gcmartin wrote:@BarryK, the Hardinfo package you are using does not have the updates that @Kirk secured for this community several years back. Multiple PUPs use it. Is there a chance you could update WOOFQ/April's?
No.

I had to roll hardinfo back to an earlier version, as it was crashing.

The crash was reported a couple of times, either earlier in this thread or the "quirky 6.0" thread.

One of those changes has broken x86_64, so I was forced to go back to an earlier version.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: UEFI

#317 Post by BarryK »

Volhout wrote:Will it boot secure under UEFI ?
No.

I have experimented with UEFI booting, not secure boot though.

I decided there are too many hassles. I could comment a lot more about it, but am restraining myself.

April/April64 and upcoming Wary64 all require "legacy boot" to be enabled on the PC.

This is far simpler.

There are various sites on the Internet that explain how to do it.

don570

#318 Post by don570 »

Right-click-april64-6.9.6.pet
(untick downloader box to avoid app)
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/5d241b71

- full screen view of video using vlc
-improved gettext of baconrecorder
-right click of office files possible
-added icon of inkscape
Last edited by don570 on Tue 21 Apr 2015, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

scsijon

#319 Post by scsijon »

Sage wrote:
..worth adding redshift..
Unnecessary waste of byte space? Stand up and close the blinds? Turn around in your chair? Use calories, live longer?
thank you sage, but were talking about April here and not Wary, April has it's own standards.

By the way, there is a wary64 coming according to barry on his website http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00169, and it's proposed to be going to be under 100meg if he can. I expect it will have it's own thread.
Last edited by scsijon on Tue 10 Feb 2015, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#320 Post by gcmartin »

Couple things
  • Hope WARY64 has its own separate thread.
  • Hope @BarryK has notice a couple posts in differing threads about use of SFSs at boot time to allow any user to boot into differing editions of a single distro. Closest OOTB solution is how @TaZoC did this, while @BattleShooter has exposed something he's found. Then, there are two other threads discussing methods tested where this is done (without calling it a single distro with several editions, yet this is in fact what they expose),

If this kind of thing is a follow-on method of PUP evolution, it would be great as the developer(s) can now address editions for a given distro's release, via a singularity.
Hope this knowledge is helpful.