Slimjet web browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
OscarTalks

#16 Post by OscarTalks »

New SlimJet versions are released frequently.
Change log includes its own Ad Blocker and a Turbo Downloader.

I will continue to upload some experimental packages.
Set up to run as root in various recent Pups
https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB
Now hosted at Yandex Disk
Last edited by OscarTalks on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England

greengeek

#17 Post by greengeek »

OscarTalks wrote:I will continue to upload some experimental packages.
I am trialling the slack14 spot pet version and it is working well for me. Using this package (and also the previous version) i still experience a problem when using Google streetview for lengthy periods - the browser reports a crash but allows me to click a reload button to continue from where I was. The error messages imply that it is an out-of-memory condition of some kind.

I am asuming this may be specific to my Puppy as it is modified to run only in ram, and using a personalised sfs rather than a savefile. Maybe my basic system is not set up right to give slimjet whatever processing headroom it needs.

Google streetview does seem much faster with this browser than my normal firefox. Even in full page mode.

OscarTalks

#18 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi Greengeek,

I sometimes take a look at things on streetview but I do so via Google Earth and I can tell you that it stores large amounts of data in cache as you move around. This fills up the savefile/RAM quite quickly. I expect this will be the same if you are on streetview via a browser. If I keep an eye on my freememapplet_tray indicator and take action before ram runs out there is a facility in the preferences of Google Earth which enables me to clear disk cache and memory cache. This brings back most of the free space and allows me to continue so it is similar to what you are describing with your SlimJet tests.
Oscar in England

greengeek

#19 Post by greengeek »

OscarTalks wrote:If I keep an eye on my freememapplet_tray indicator and take action before ram runs out there is a facility in the preferences of Google Earth which enables me to clear disk cache and memory cache. This brings back most of the free space and allows me to continue .
That may be where my problem is - I have no savefile so my freememapplet doesn't help me see when I have run out of memory (or cache). I shall have a look and see if there is a way to force it to use swap or move its cache. Might slow it down though.

dalderton

#20 Post by dalderton »

I have a bug in Slimjet and am unable to remove-uninstall the program. It goes through the motions on the package uninstall but does not go away.I installed the latest one shown in this thread and it got all the speed dials etc off the old one after I had attempted to uninstall it.
Any ideas?
Regards Dennis.

OscarTalks

#21 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Dennis,

Not sure what you mean. Can you let us know your Puppy version and exactly which packages you are uninstalling and installing and are they .pet or .sfs?

Are you saying that the whole program did not uninstall? If you are saying you upgraded versions but your profile/configuration settings remained then this is normal behaviour to allow upgrades without the user having to set up all the preferences again. If you want to reset things (including the speed dials) and start again you should delete the directory and contents /root/.config/slimjet or /root/spot/.config/slimjet (depending on whether you are running it as root or spot).
Oscar in England

greengeek

#22 Post by greengeek »

I was a bit slow to notice it but there is a handy download button for youtube watchers:
Attachments
download button.jpg
(25.89 KiB) Downloaded 1973 times

OscarTalks

#23 Post by OscarTalks »

Updates to SlimJet are coming through quite frequently.

The http://appear.in webRTC video conferencing did not seem to work properly for me in version 5 but it does in the version 6 beta.

I try to keep updating the experimental packages
(Yandex Disk storage)
https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB
If in Russian use the language button and refresh the page.

Although I recommend setting browsers up as portables under /mnt/home and from there just unpack the new tarball whenever an update comes out and Bob's your uncle.
Last edited by OscarTalks on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 02:39, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England

slavvo67

#24 Post by slavvo67 »

Thank you, Oscar. Can you tell me what the difference is between the Tahrpet and just the regular pet?

Thanks,

Slavvo67

OscarTalks

#25 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Slavvo67,

The tahr package places the main directory under /opt and the wrapper launcher script does NOT disable sandbox features. The browser appears to start and run without errors in TahrPup, maybe because of the more recent library and kernel versions.

The non-specific package places the main directory under /usr/lib (just by choice really) and the script disables some sandbox features because the browser will not run at all without doing this in pre-tahr Pups. This package will run in Precise and even in Wheezy but you will see errors in console which relate mostly to the sandbox situation. It won't work at all in earlier Pups than these as far as I know.

The packages are all set up to run as root because that is the standard Puppy way. You can alter them to run as spot and in some cases activate the SUID sandbox but you end up with some processes running as spot (dbus and possibly gconf) even after the browser has been closed.
Oscar in England

greengeek

#26 Post by greengeek »

OscarTalks wrote:I try to keep updating the experimental packages
Thanks for this. Much appreciated. I just tried v6 for Slacko and all seems well so far (haven't used the webrtc thing yet as I am basically paranoid and don't like letting remote servers take control of my mike and cam, but slimjet looks like a nice way to access that functionality when I eventually need it. I will have to bite the bullet one day and come into the modern world to find skype alternatives :-) )

slavvo67

#27 Post by slavvo67 »

Neither version is working in Quirky Unicorn. I didn't see a dependency issue but when I open the browser, it opens up but doesn't work.

Puppus Dogfellow

#28 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

working very well in precise 571-2 and in unicornpup. thanks yet again, Oscar. it's faster and lighter and just as capable as chromium/chrome from what i'm seeing. really nice (but still heavier than palemoon or firefox).

here's the lot mirrored:

slimjet

mikeslr

Moving slimjet's config & cache file out of SaveFile

#29 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

I really do like slimjet. It appears to run faster than opera 12.16 --my previous favorite-- and, being "current" doesn't suffer as old opera's non-acceptance as a supported browser on some website.

In setting it up, I had saved opera's bookmarks as an html file and loaded that into slimjet. Easy, even though I subsequently had to "re-order" folders and their contents by title. Again, easy. Just open Bookmark Manager, select a folder and Left-click the Organize at the top of the Right panel.

But I discovered slimjet wasn't keeping the new wepages I bookmarked. Then I remembered. I run all my Pups without an Automatic Save, and never Save on Exit unless I've installed something new, as I did after first loading the Slimjet SFS, installing bookmarks and addons. But hadn't done so since then.

As I wasn't about to change my way of running Pups just because a nice browser, it occurred to me that like firefox, seamonkey and palemoon, even though I was running slimjet as an SFS, may have written its config file to somewhere in my SaveFile.

Unlike firefox, seamonkey or palemoon, slimjet's config folder doesn't become obvious when you browse to /root and "show hidden files". You'll find it, however, in /root/.config. [Note the dot]. Then, as I had with firefox, seamonkey and palemoon, it was a simple matter of dragging the slimjet folder to a folder on /mnt/home --I call it "browser-cache", without the quotes-- selecting Move, dragging it back to /root/.config and selecting Link(relative).

You'll also find another slimjet folder worth moving-symlinking. It's in /root/.cache -- note the dot. Frankly, even though I set all my webbrowsers to clear cache on exit, I've moved the entire .cache folder out of my SaveFile. I'll see if that creates problems

mikesLr.

OscarTalks

#30 Post by OscarTalks »

SlimJet now at version 7.0.1.0
Based on Chromium 47.0.2526.73
Pepper Flash 20.0.0.267
Support for Java and Silverlight has been added.
This has been removed from recent Google Chromes
http://www.slimjet.com/en/lp/java-silve ... chrome.php
A bit puzzling though, not sure if this applies to the Linux version.

EDIT:-
Reports are suggesting that the source code has been changed so much now that java can not be made to work after all.
Last edited by OscarTalks on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#31 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Oscar.

I've just downloaded and installed your 'slimjet-7.0.1.0-slack14.0'.sfs package, in rg66's X-Slacko 2.3.2 (this is the one based on vanilla 570). Absolutely straightforward, and no hassles at all.

No terminal messages, or anything silly like that at all. I'd originally tried with the generic tar.xz package from the Slimjet site, and kept getting the 'bad NaCl helper ack' thing, so gave up on that one. Couldn't quite see what the problem was there, since I also run your Chrome 45 package here too, and already have libgconf2, etc.

Then I tried the .deb package. That didn't want to know at all. I know it shouldn't work in Slacko at all by rights, but I have a few .deb packages running on here quite happily.....including my printer driver package. (Strangely, I tried that as the .rpm version when I first set X-Slacko up, and it wouldn't install!)

Then, upon reading your posts here, I found the the link to your SFSes, and Bob's your uncle! Sorted.

Thanks very much. I've replaced an elderly version of Chromium (36.0.1985), which I kept as a stand-by, in case Chrome threw a wobbly.....not that it ever has, but every time you fire it up, you keep getting nagged to upgrade.....

Will report back if, as & when any issues rear their heads.

Cheers! Appreciated.

Mike. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#32 Post by Mike Walsh »

Just wanted to add that I'd no idea that Slimjet auto-updates PepperFlash..! That being the case, I'm seriously considering replacing Chrome right through the kennel; it might look a wee bit different.....but who cares? Functionality like that is worth having.

Add that to Geoff's Linux Flash Updater (for FireFox/PaleMoon).....and that's one thing I shan't need to bother about any more. Nice one!

Thanks again, Oscar.

Mike. :wink:

Pelo

slimjet-6.0.8.0.sfs (77M) . that is not slimboat !

#33 Post by Pelo »

well wel well .... slimjet is
slimjet-6.0.8.0.sfs (77M) . that is not slimboat ! it will freeze laptops with 512MB,In fact i don't know; I have to test it, first with my 4GB laptop (4processors)
We are not missing browsers, really, one could find hapiness easily...
Links for our programming experts, QtWeb for fun, seamonkey & firefox for Mamas and Papas.
why browsers are getting bigger and bigger ? We are browsing always the same sites.. Games perhaps..
My criteria are two levels
low i can read videos
High i can upload videos on Youtube
Now, i am browsing with Firefox 3.6, that the reason why i was searching if brand new stuff was available (to enjoy a little bit Slackos and co, desesperate Slackos).
Error mouting sfs (slacko 5.7, enjoyed version s57-2016eee.iso: 144 M )
I will download version speciale Slacko...

s243a

Re: slimjet-6.0.8.0.sfs (77M) . that is not slimboat !

#34 Post by s243a »

Pelo wrote:well wel well .... slimjet is
slimjet-6.0.8.0.sfs (77M) . that is not slimboat ! it will freeze laptops with 512MB,In fact i don't know; I have to test it, first with my 4GB laptop (4processors)
We are not missing browsers, really, one could find hapiness
Do you have swap enabled on your computer with 512 MB of ram?

Pelo

#35 Post by Pelo »

slimboat-1.1.44.sfs: 21 M not 80
swap should never be used, it's for temporary excess in RAM,

Some users use swap as RAM added..
But in fact their Puppy is no longer a Puppy, its speed becomes the hard disk speed, with the processor permanently loading and unloading stuff in and out the ram.
Imagine ou french supersonic Concorde having to land and take off ten times between Paris and New York, because there are to many passengers boarded. that is exactly the same.
But now, i am on a Medion, ram 4GB, no problem, slimjet will do it... If this Slacko loads the SFS :evil: