Hunspell dictionaries and browsers

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
oui

Hunspell dictionaries and browsers

#1 Post by oui »

I know one browser making it very very lignt, it is xombrero, a webkit browser based on the initial webkit but adapted in debian etc. for webkit 3 now

only find a ~/.xombrero.conf in the web (it is not preinstalled!)

and unmark the line for spell! it is all...

if you want more dic's (for special terminology or other languages), xombrero accept the proposed first occurence corresponding to "your" written word else if it is in the wrong language.

so you have to name in the line the dictionaries in the order of importance of the languages for you or know enough of the languages to discern yourself! in the other case, you have to interchange in the line BEFORE you open xombrero or start it again (in this case, you can't check multi-language messages although xombrero can do that :idea: ) !

you don't need to copy all the .xombrero.conf (it is a model for numerous usages) you will find on the web but only the lines you will use!

oui

mozilla's

#2 Post by oui »

it is the most used browser family under Linux users.

and it is easy to use hunspell.

install hunspell if not available (cribble versions!) and add with some adequate installer more dictionaries.

search for the main directory of the browser (under /opt or under /usr/lib, sometime, really rarely also in your ~ in a special directory as installation in the home dir is supported by Linux)

open it and search for the subdir .../.../dictionaries

erase the content (if you want to use those of hunspell)

and create a link TO EACH entry for binaries (some other are only links to those within the hunspell dictionaries dir! it is a stupid thing to link links... create directly new links with the name important for you, for ex. en_BR if you prefer British English, but not have actually some special dictionary for British English! Other ex. fr_CH for Swiss French etc.) you will find in following dir:

Code: Select all

/usr/hunspell
this is really easy and fast to do with our rox filer using the mouse pressing at the same time CRTL+ALT !

does other puppyists have some receipt for other browsers (chrome family including SRiron, etc)?

or for some text editors or some text processors not going directly to the /usr/hunspell dir so "jekyll" etc.
[/i]

8Geee

#3 Post by 8Geee »

oui;

Generally, I remove all dictionaries from both puppy and browser when I can. I use a handy book (Oxford Pocket Dictionary) when I have trouble.

My reasons are for security, as auto-complete always connect to a dictionary. Auto-complete is one way spectre/meltdown operates. There is an out-of-order search that is generated to maintain correct spelling. As we say here, "Its how things work".

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

oui

#4 Post by oui »

Hi 8Geee
8Geee wrote:Generally, I remove all dictionaries from both puppy and browser when I can. I use a handy book (Oxford Pocket Dictionary) when I have trouble.
Are you not aware, you did write a destructive instead of an helping message (*1 ? I don't want to know from an perhaps Geee with mother tongue English, the wishing monopolist tongue in the world, how to write without dictionary but exactly the opposite:

make the writing in English (or Chinese, Hindi/Urdu, both languages with each 1.000.000.000 mother tongue speakers, and other languages more) more and better accessible to poor people not having learned them as mother tongue speakers :wink: :idea:

(*1 one important goal of forum activity!

8Geee

#5 Post by 8Geee »

I was offering my opinion on dictionaries in general. That opinion is basically, if you don't need one remove it, and also turn off the auto-complete functions.

I realize that some people speak more than one language, and need to have the correct spelling for a particular different language.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."