Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 27 Feb 2015, 02:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Is there a FAST mozilla based browser for old PC ?
Page 1 of 6 [89 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
totolanio

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan 2015, 10:43    Post subject:  Is there a FAST mozilla based browser for old PC ?
Subject description: 32 bits

Hi,

I'd like to use my previous mozilla profiles into puppy linux on a faster browser if possible, on my 2006 computer (1go ram for example).
That's why I'd like to find a lightweight version of mozilla firefox, there is one called "Light" (light firefox) but it looks like it's only on Windows.

Other alternatives are specially built for modern hardware (palemoon is know for that apparently).

Do you know some ? are they usable on puppy tahr ?
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan 2015, 10:55    Post subject:  

Hi,

The fastest recent mozilla-based browser I know of is one called Swiftfox. Here are some threads about it;

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1848817715&t=48126

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1848817715&t=93584

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1848817715&t=93945

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan 2015, 11:00    Post subject:  

Update: I think you need the Swiftfox pet file because the links on Swiftfox's own page seem to have been taken down,. Here's the link to the pet;

http://ulozto.net/xdTfLDt7/swiftfox-3-6-13-pet

totolanio

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan 2015, 11:12    Post subject:  

But it's last updated in 2011, right ? Sad
It also means all my addons won't work ? (like colorzilla/firebug/all in one gesture etc)
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan 2015, 11:41    Post subject:  

I'm afraid you're most likely right, but it's the fastest Mozilla-based browser I know of. Maybe someone else will be along with a better solution for you.
totolanio

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan 2015, 05:40    Post subject:  

:'(
In top of that, on the official mozilla firefox, if you have 2 profiles with similar addons/extensions, you possess them twice ! twice their size so :'(
666philb

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan 2015, 05:41    Post subject:  

what about seamonkey
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan 2015, 09:36    Post subject:  

Seamonkey works well on a potato like yours.
Copyrights and Patents aren't real kinds of property. Copyright Nazis brainwash you to believe they exist so they can chill free speech, innovation, and creativity. Good people DON'T believe that Copyright exists!
wboz

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan 2015, 09:50    Post subject:  

What about Slimboat / Slimbrowser?
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan 2015, 11:14    Post subject:  

wboz wrote:
What about Slimboat / Slimbrowser?

I never used those 2 web browsers, but the OP wants something that is based on Mozilla code (like Firefox or Seamonkey).

And I get that, because Mozilla-based browsers have a very nice selection of addons that really do a good job of increasing privacy and security.

If your 2006 computer has a "Prescott" P4, you should be able to run pale moon really well.

Copyrights and Patents aren't real kinds of property. Copyright Nazis brainwash you to believe they exist so they can chill free speech, innovation, and creativity. Good people DON'T believe that Copyright exists!
wboz

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan 2015, 14:06    Post subject:  

Sorry. I thought they were. I now think I was wrong about that.

However one of the intended features of those is that they include many features as stock that Firefox needs an extension for. So if you just want adblocking and some other stuff, they may still work great (but if you want a SPECIFIC firefox extension then I agree).
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan 2015, 17:16    Post subject:  

wboz wrote:
Sorry. I thought they were. I now think I was wrong about that.

However one of the intended features of those is that they include many features as stock that Firefox needs an extension for. So if you just want adblocking and some other stuff, they may still work great (but if you want a SPECIFIC firefox extension then I agree).

I would go insane without noscript and requestpolicy.

totolanio

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jan 2015, 08:18    Post subject:  

Well noscript is very annoying so I don't use it anymore lol
Otherwise I mainly use All In one gesture (very useful), colorzilla, firebug, keylogger beater (yeye ), httpseverywhere and adblock +
Dunno if I can find these in slimboat

I'll have a look at seamonkey but the way it handles tabs is not logical to me (it sux ! xD).
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jan 2015, 08:43    Post subject:  

Quote:
I'll have a look at seamonkey but the way it handles tabs is not logical to me (it sux ! xD).

you can change it to the sucky firefox way or better still to the way firefox 1.5 did it...the most logical of them all (fast close multiple tabs safely)... get used to about:config and make browsers BEHAVE in a way you like.

There are tweaks in there that can help speed...eg gif animation disable.... flashblock is worth it too. Css is a big hog nowadays...but dealing with that one gets tricky.

Mike
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jan 2015, 09:19    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
get used to about:config and make browsers BEHAVE in a way you like.

there is also an options window.

Page 1 of 6 [89 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: