Is there a FAST mozilla based browser for old PC ?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
partsman

#61 Post by partsman »

darry1966 wrote:
Anytime Partsman great to hear from you its been awhile,
@darry1966 Thanks ! Its been a while :oops: Sorry been busy :? Never is enough Puppy time ! lol :wink:
@mikeb :
darry1966 wrote:
Thanks for the way you explain things so concisely and clearly for us non-techies understand.
Yes mikeb ! Thanks for your patience :wink: :D
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

darry1966

#62 Post by darry1966 »

Mikeb reminds me of one of those wise old men with a long beard who seem to have centuries of wisdom stored away which they can impart.

Disclaimer I am not saying Mikeb is ancient but like you say Partsman his patience. and I want to add wisdom do remind me of wise Seers of ancient times.

mikeb

#63 Post by mikeb »

It's clear that there's a law of diminishing returns with software - where beyond a certain point the extra features no longer compensate for the extra bloat and / or instability.
yes... though you get core improvements at times its often outweighed buy tut and waffle. Windows 7 handles networking better than XP BUT at what cost.
Engineering does have a bell curve going on... eg the internal combustion engine. Anything in the automobile world that's changed since the late seventies? On a related subject ie the reinvention of the wheel, I grabbed an old engineering book about diesels from the 50's and funny how many 'new' ideas' are in there especially related to two strokes. Must comment on one...an engine that started on diesel but used its heat output to extract gas from various waste products...eg sawdust/leaves etc....which then could supplement or replace the engines fuel source. (diesels on biogas in the 40's and 50's !) Then again peanut oil was one of its intended fuel sources.

The beard...yes grew a big one but looked very 'coca cola red suited man' like. The picture is on my driving licence which like me is obsolete :D
The fluff remains below itch level for now.

Ancient...in the how old are you thread I ticked the 0-10 box...I am an anarchist....

mike

Colonel Panic

#64 Post by Colonel Panic »

mikeb wrote:yes... though you get core improvements at times its often outweighed buy tut and waffle. Windows 7 handles networking better than XP BUT at what cost.
Agreed, the trouble is that some sites now more or less demand up to date browsers. I've been using Soundcloud recently and that site needs either a recent Chromium or Firefox 28 or later (with Flash).
mikeb wrote:Engineering does have a bell curve going on... eg the internal combustion engine. Anything in the automobile world that's changed since the late seventies? On a related subject ie the reinvention of the wheel, I grabbed an old engineering book about diesels from the 50's and funny how many 'new' ideas' are in there especially related to two strokes. Must comment on one...an engine that started on diesel but used its heat output to extract gas from various waste products...eg sawdust/leaves etc....which then could supplement or replace the engines fuel source. (diesels on biogas in the 40's and 50's !) Then again peanut oil was one of its intended fuel sources.

The beard...yes grew a big one but looked very 'coca cola red suited man' like. The picture is on my driving licence which like me is obsolete :D
The fluff remains below itch level for now.

Ancient...in the how old are you thread I ticked the 0-10 box...I am an anarchist....

mike
I think one thing that's got better with cars since the 1970s is the electronic management of engines. Even a big BMW now returns the kind of economy figures that you used to get with an Austin 1800 (just as well too, with the price of fuel nowadays).

A recent engine is a lot harder to fix when it goes wrong than the old engines were though.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

darry1966

#65 Post by darry1966 »

I think one thing that's got better with cars since the 1970s is the electronic management of engines. Even a big BMW now returns the kind of economy figures that you used to get with an Austin 1800 (just as well too, with the price of fuel nowadays).

A recent engine is a lot harder to fix when it goes wrong than the old engines were though.[/quote]

Gee Colonel you remind me of my Hillman Supermix which was pretty basic 1965 model I had in the 90's be worth a fortune now.http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... xfordy.jpg Rootes Group Motor! - Good times.

Colonel Panic

#66 Post by Colonel Panic »

darry1966 wrote:Gee Colonel you remind me of my Hillman Supermix which was pretty basic 1965 model I had in the 90's be worth a fortune now.http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... xfordy.jpg Rootes Group Motor! - Good times.
Excellent, not very fast by today's standards but comfortable, nice looking and built like a brick s***ehouse. My uncle used to have the one before that (I think it was the Minx mark II), and I remember when he took it (and us) out onto a straight road and put his foot down, and we reached....70 mph! As you said, happy days.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Wed 28 Jan 2015, 07:59, edited 2 times in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

greengeek

#67 Post by greengeek »

Colonel Panic wrote: the trouble is that some sites now more or less demand up to date browsers. I've been using Soundcloud recently and that site needs either a recent Chromium or Firefox 28 or later (with Flash
Does it though? I haven't used it before but when i saw your comment I tried SoundCloud and it seemed ok using the Firefox 17ESR that comes with Slacko 5.6
I only listened to some tunes - maybe there are other features I didnt test...

I never like 'upgrading' to the latest and 'greatest' unless i understand the specific reason why i absolutely have to.

Colonel Panic

#68 Post by Colonel Panic »

greengeek wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote: the trouble is that some sites now more or less demand up to date browsers. I've been using Soundcloud recently and that site needs either a recent Chromium or Firefox 28 or later (with Flash
Does it though? I haven't used it before but when i saw your comment I tried SoundCloud and it seemed ok using the Firefox 17ESR that comes with Slacko 5.6
I only listened to some tunes - maybe there are other features I didnt test...

I never like 'upgrading' to the latest and 'greatest' unless i understand the specific reason why i absolutely have to.
Thanks for that comment. I agree with you about not upgrading to the "latest and greatest" unless I absolutely have to.

I'm in Legacy OS4 right now (with Firefox 5) but I'm happy to take your word for that and will try 17ESR out myself to see if it works for me too with SoundCloud.

darry1966

#69 Post by darry1966 »

Colonel Panic wrote:
darry1966 wrote:Gee Colonel you remind me of my Hillman Supermix which was pretty basic 1965 model I had in the 90's be worth a fortune now.http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... xfordy.jpg Rootes Group Motor! - Good times.
Excellent, not very fast by today's standards but comfortable, nice looking and built like a brick s***ehouse. My uncle used to have the one before that (I think it was the Minx mark II), and I remember when he took it (and us) out onto a straight road and put his foot down, and we reached....70 mph! As you said, happy days.
Yeah I had a Minx as well as you say built a brick ----- house.
Wow 70mph.

mikeb

#70 Post by mikeb »

I remember trying Soundcloud ..they seem to suffer from the web elitism problem (vimeo was another iirc) and to me should not be supported...plenty of alternatives out their that want EVERYONE on the web to have access..after all not everyone in the world has endless supplies of money to keep buying the updated equipment needed. .... unless a 2 tiered internet is desired to match the 2 tiered societies out there.

I seem to remember playing mp3s on line over a decade ago....

mike

Colonel Panic

#71 Post by Colonel Panic »

mikeb wrote:I remember trying Soundcloud ..they seem to suffer from the web elitism problem (vimeo was another iirc) and to me should not be supported...plenty of alternatives out their that want EVERYONE on the web to have access..after all not everyone in the world has endless supplies of money to keep buying the updated equipment needed. .... unless a 2 tiered internet is desired to match the 2 tiered societies out there.

I seem to remember playing mp3s on line over a decade ago....

mike
I couldn't agree more Mike, the trouble is that (as I'm sure you realise) if you want to listen to a particular musician, group or speaker online, they, not you, decide which media channel you're going to be able to access their content through. I wish things were otherwise and there was some kind of agreed standard which was accessible with older equipment and software.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sat 31 Jan 2015, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#72 Post by mikeb »

Well thats ultimately up to them ...If I was making music i would want to reach the widest possible audience.

Reminds me of those band sites with 20MB flash intros when many were still on dial up.... bet they got a big fanbase :D I seem to remember clicking close on anyone who did that.

mike

Colonel Panic

#73 Post by Colonel Panic »

mikeb wrote:Well thats ultimately up to them ...If I was making music i would want to reach the widest possible audience.

Reminds me of those band sites with 20MB flash intros when many were still on dial up.... bet they got a big fanbase :D I seem to remember clicking close on anyone who did that.

mike
Yeah, agreed Mike but it's the way things are now. I can do probably 90% - 95% of what I want to do on a computer by using John Biles's Legacy OS2, but I still need a more up to date distro for the other 5 - 10% - apart from browsing "difficult" sites, I occasionally need to open files made in a recent version of Microsoft Word or Excel (something which is problematic in an old version of OpenOffice, Abiword or perhaps Gnumeric).

This has been a really good discussion btw, and thanks for your part in it .

mikeb

#74 Post by mikeb »

This has been a really good discussion btw, and thanks for your part in it .
well getting a bit draughty up on this soapbox :D
Plus gets a bit sore digging the heels in.....

formats...the leverage of the modern corporate....

ok well I hope there's something for peeps to chew on...

regards

Mike

ps I just built the latest Dillo....don;t thinks its me though :D

Mike Walsh

#75 Post by Mike Walsh »

mikeb wrote:gmx.com ....good free webmail...can do pop and Imap too...no catches after several years of use. They even throw in a bit of web storage. :)mike
Same here, Mike. I use gmx with Thunderbird on imap, too. Had a Gmail account for, oh, can't remember; a lot of years, anyway. Began to cotton on to Google's 'sod you' attitude with regards to privacy about 3 yrs ago, looked around for something else to use, instead.....and been using gmx ever since.

Good, straight-forward e-mail; no frills. Don't want 'em!

I throw the Gmail account the occasional bone, but it's largely used nowadays for Ubuntu Forums notification e-mails; that, and the odd bit of web advertising turns up, from Youtube, and the like. I think I've watched 3 youtube vids, in total.....and one of those was a GIMP tutorial. Do they really cotton onto your 'habits' from THAT small amount of usage?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to topic. I DO use peebee's current .sfs of Chromium, I admit.....but I'm also happy to use the PaleMoon browser built into Tahrpup 6.02. I would use Firefox 32 here on the Dell, and update it to 35 ( I do on the big Compaq).....but for some reason, FF refuses to display any text in the browser address and search bars, which is annoying. It just displays a greyed-out blank box instead. PaleMoon, which is a fork of FF, works fine!

Must be something to do with this damn 82845 on here. You've got one of those, haven't you, Mike? I seem to remember you mentioning something about it in that long ol' thread of mine in 'Miscellaneous'. Did you ever have the problem of blanked-out text in FF?

Mike to Mike.
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 22 Feb 2015, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#76 Post by mikeb »

The occasional cookie clearout helps...amazing how many of them there are even after a quick browse.

Still dont know why ebay need 20 of them at once...what do they get up to apart from stuffing their own website up thee worlds butty... And if I don't clear them all then weird things happen when using another account.

I did set one setup to have me approve or decline every cookie...and even if each one only needed doing once it was mouse click hell....

But hey...if its improving my 'user experience' then so be it...and other star spangled marketing bullcrappo :D

mike on his bike

Mike Walsh

#77 Post by Mike Walsh »

Got to agree about the cookies; and 'trackers'? Ah, don't get me started on THOSE.....

I had NO idea how much crap there was on websites until I started using Ghosty about a year ago. There's one PCWorld website page, which, when I first viewed it, had no fewer than 83 of the damn things. I used to use it on fresh installs to get rid of a good chunk of crap at one fell swoop.....but they've toned it down a bit since; it's only got 26 now! :lol:

One which REALLY used to get up my nose was a particular firm (Atlas, I believe), whose tracker was a 'cookie re-spawner'. I was constantly deleting stuff I thought I'd blocked already, till I cottoned on; it didn't used to show up until the second refresh of the page. Until that one went, it re-generated everything else... Naughty! :evil:

Mike to Mike.
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 02 Mar 2015, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

#78 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I have cookies disables. With the help of "Self-destructing cookies", I can have some cookies set temporarily.

mikeb

#79 Post by mikeb »

One which REALLY used to get up my nose was a particular firm (Atlas, I believe)whose tracker was a 'cookie re-spawner'.
lets all sing...

Spawn free,
Then somebody spammed me,
The web is not easy,
'til your'e spawn free....

mike

darry1966

#80 Post by darry1966 »

mikeb wrote:
One which REALLY used to get up my nose was a particular firm (Atlas, I believe)whose tracker was a 'cookie re-spawner'.
lets all sing...

Spawn free,
Then somebody spammed me,
The web is not easy,
'til your'e spawn free....

mike
Hi Mike,

Nice post classic stuff.