Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 12 Nov 2019, 22:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Want to use TP-Link TL-WN723N USB WiFi Adaptor[Solved]
Page 1 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
april

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jan 2015, 17:13    Post subject:  Want to use TP-Link TL-WN723N USB WiFi Adaptor[Solved]  

I have a TP-Link TL-WN422G Adaptor54Mbps and it uses driver

Manufacturer=ATHEROS
Product=USB2.0 WLAN
SerialNumber=12345
VendorID=0cf3 ProductID=1006 KERNEL-MODULE=ath9k_htc

This works fine on Puppy Precise 5..7 1

I also have a TP-Link TL-WN723N Adaptor 150 Mbps mini wireless .
Manufacturer=Realtek
Product=802.11n WLAN Adapter
SerialNumber=00e04c000001
VendorID=0bda ProductID=8176 KERNEL-MODULE=rtl8192cu

This one doesn't.

Is there anybody working on these yet?
I can't move on to the higher speed as only the first runs properly
NOTE
When puppy loads the "rtl8192cu" driver loads and recognises the device but does not connect with "Auto DHCP" this "rtl8192cu" has to be blacklisted and one of the below "8192cu" put in and loaded.
For Puppy Precise 5.7.1 use the first pet below. For Puppy Precise 5.4.2 use the second . It depends on the kernel you have

Last edited by april on Fri 13 Feb 2015, 02:26; edited 7 times in total
Semme

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jan 2015, 17:19    Post subject:  

Is this your device? You'd have to plug it and run lsusb with verbose output. This'll depend on version..
chip_version-1.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   10.86 KB
 Viewed   1115 Time(s)

chip_version-1.jpg

april

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2015, 05:32    Post subject:  

Mr Semme it looks like V1 and is [ EDIT -Found packet had V2.2 on it]

Manufacturer=Realtek

I tried the d/l there and made the folder but no joy yet. I would like to see what other drivers are on that site but it won't let me look around. can you post a link to the next directory up as I think it is rtl8712 I should be looking for as another site I read reported it worked with this unit and I would like to try.

In the "quickpet precise" Under drivers I looked at pemasu's repository and he has a driver there that works but only with that numbered kernel. Thats up to Precise 5.5 it seems so it needs to be compiled for the kernel thats used in 5.7.1 .

Last edited by april on Sun 15 Feb 2015, 07:33; edited 1 time in total
Semme

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2015, 06:21    Post subject:  

Nope, v2. Is Precise 5.71 the intended target?
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2015, 07:30    Post subject: Re: USB WiFi Adaptors  

april wrote:

This device is supported by all recent Puppies.

In what way is it not working? I have found that the rtl8192cu driver does not have much signal strength compared to the atheros drivers.
april

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2015, 15:45    Post subject: Re: USB WiFi Adaptors  

rcrsn51 wrote:
april wrote:

This device is supported by all recent Puppies.

In what way is it not working? I have found that the rtl8192cu driver does not have much signal strength compared to the atheros drivers.

You can make the statement and talk the talk until you turn blue in the face . However mine will not connect in any recent Puppy except for Precise 5.4.2 and that only because pemasu compiled a driver in his repo specifically for that kernel.

So you are not correct and it requires closer examination which I am trying to do. If you read this post properly , the way it is not working is it does not set up the DHCP properly and ends up with rubbish in the IP field ,gateway and dns fields.

I have nticed a few threads on here complaining of it not working . One of my own as well.

When it works however it has very good signal strength in my opinion.
No offence meant rcrsn51

Last edited by april on Fri 16 Jan 2015, 16:13; edited 3 times in total
april

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2015, 15:49    Post subject:  

Semme wrote:
Nope, v2. Is Precise 5.71 the intended target?

Yes semme I am trying to get it working in 5.7.1 and what makes you think it is V2 ? it is not marked v2 anywhere on the box and it does not look like any of the pictures and v2 has a march 2012 release date and I bought it about 2 years ago so V2 probably would not have been around at the time
TP-Link TL-WN723N.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   3.01 KB
 Viewed   1034 Time(s)

TP-Link TL-WN723N.jpg

ardvark

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2015, 16:29    Post subject: Re: USB WiFi Adaptors  

april wrote:
You can make the statement and talk the talk until you turn blue in the face .

Hi April...

Honestly, I think you're getting a little snippy. Please try to refrain from making rude remarks. I understand you're probably frustrated that you can't get the better adapter to work but this isn't rcrsn51 or Semme's fault. Wifi is poorly supported in Linux overall because manufacturers have not provided as good driver support as they have in Windows and Linux programmers have to try and compensate for that. Sad

Semme gave the information he did based upon your adapter's product ID number...

Manufacturer=Realtek

In the link he provided, you can see that Version 2 contains your exact same number, where as Version 1 is 0bda:8171. Wink

Regards...

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up here!
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2015, 05:16    Post subject:  

FWIW, I compiled the vendor rtl8192cu driver for Precise 571. It works correctly with PeasyWiFi.

You may need to blacklist the in-kernel rtl8192cu driver using System > Bootmanager.
8192cu_precise571-k3.9.11.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  8192cu_precise571-k3.9.11.pet 
Filesize  253.38 KB 
Downloaded  294 Time(s) 

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 18 Aug 2015, 12:46; edited 3 times in total
april

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2015, 05:30    Post subject: Re: USB WiFi Adaptors  

ardvark wrote:

Honestly, I think you're getting a little snippy. Please try to refrain from making rude remarks. Where?
I understand you're probably frustrated that you can't get the better adapter to work but this isn't rcrsn51 or Semme's fault. Wifi is poorly supported in Linux overall because manufacturers have not provided as good driver support as they have in Windows and Linux programmers have to try and compensate for that. Sad

Semme gave the information he did based upon your adapter's product ID number...

Manufacturer=Realtek

In the link he provided, you can see that Version 2 contains your exact same number, where as Version 1 is 0bda:8171. Wink

Regards...

Yes I see that, but you have misunderstood my post . I am discussing this with Semme, I hope ,and not having a shot at him . He has helped me admirably in the past and I hope that will continue as I seek to find the solution here.

rscn 's post however was a blatent assertion that the thing works , whereas I have shown with pemasu's repository , that it does not work and needs to be recompiled for the kernels used more recently. . If he believes it works let him demonstrate that with Precise puppy 5.7.1 if he can. I will happily try any driver he can recommend except rtl8192cu as presently in the release . It does not work.

I find your post unnecessary too, and note that before posting, you did not read the previous posts properly . If you re-read the above posts with perhaps the same determination you use on your favourite reading material then you will see I tried not to offend anyone ,merely correct what I see as a wrong statement.

I don't see that you have added anything useful to the conversation or the solution by your post. I will always say exactly what I mean and won't be pushed around by anybody

Last edited by april on Sat 17 Jan 2015, 05:45; edited 4 times in total
april

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2015, 05:35    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
FWIW, I compiled the vendor rtl8192cu driver for Precise 571.

OK so thats what I would like to get details about please . How can I get that recompiled driver or where can I get the source please so I can compile it myself?

Perhaps you could put a pet on a repository somewhere that I could get ? How is this fixed for all futur releases? how would that be done? I would like to be able to move up to each new release as it comes but if I have to recompile it each time its not going to happen

Does that involve a kernel compile ? I have not attempted one of those yet.

And I repeat , I intended no offence !rcrsn51 You have helped me also in the past and I appreciate that . If I can't speak bluntly then much time is wasted pussyfooting about and as it is all typed I don't have that time to waste.

Last edited by april on Sat 17 Jan 2015, 06:10; edited 1 time in total
Semme

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2015, 05:50    Post subject:  

DIY, and because I can't recall which kernel 5.71 ships with.. puppy:linux >> src
april

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2015, 05:59    Post subject:  

Ohh Semme you are many many levels ahead of me in that field . Want me to fix your car down to the last nut and bolt , build you a boat including everything literally DIY ,No problem but I would not dare to tread where you send me today .
Semme

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2015, 06:07    Post subject:  

Don't be fooled, I know as much as you. The devx, src and driver pkg of choice are all you need. Give it a shot..
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2015, 06:31    Post subject: Re: USB WiFi Adaptors  

rcrsn51 wrote:
This device is supported by all recent Puppies. In what way is it not working?

april wrote:
rscn 's post however was a blatent assertion that the thing works

Wow. You have an amazing ability to antagonize people who are in a position to help you.

The word "supported" just means that the Linux kernel recognizes the device and loads a driver for it. That is 100% true for rtl8192cu devices like yours in Precise.

I made no claims that it works well. In fact, I own two rtl8192cu devices and I have seen them show strange behaviours occasionally. Which is exactly why I asked you to provide more information.

Since there was some confusion about which driver your adapter is using, that was a reasonable request.
Page 1 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: