Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
CHDK
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
labbe5

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2015, 09:20    Post subject:  CHDK
Subject description: Unlock the Secret "Pro" Features of Your Canon Point-and-Shoot with CHDK

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

http://lifehacker.com/5942229/unlock-the-secret-pro-features-of-your-canon-point-and-shoot-camera-with-chdk

Amateur photographers more often than not have a point-and-shoot camera at the ready to take photographs of family members, or when on the road, during vacation.

Having a Canon model, this amateur photographer can have all the options available to the pro, with a simple app : CHDK.

A how-to is provided above.

Then, having raw files at his or her disposal, this amateur photographer can use one of a numerous free, open source photo editors, such as LightZone, RawTherapee, Darktable, to exercice his or her creativity.

There is also Aftershot pro 2, available for Linux OS, but this is available for a fee. This option is more for professional photographers, needing a fast raw converter (time is money in this business).
Fossil

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2015, 09:49    Post subject:  

If you happen to have a Canon EOS DSLR, there is also 'Magic Lantern' which is Open Source and creates a host of extra applications via an 'add-on' to the SD or CF card. http://magiclantern.fm/ Supported Cameras:
5D2, 5D3, 6D, 7D, 50D, 60D, 500D (T1i), 550D (T2i), 600D (T3i), 650D (T4i), 700D (T5i), 1100D (T3), EOS M
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2015, 10:14    Post subject:  

I couldn't find anything on that website that says which OS CHDK will work with or how to install it.
Fossil

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2015, 11:15    Post subject:  

It isn't an operating system, nor is it a program to be used directly under Linux. The idea is to use this 'app' as an extension of the Canon pocket camera system. The app is transferred and loaded into either a SD or CF card. When the camera is switched on, the card is read, the program found, and it's parameters are then transferred directly to the camera - overriding the normal (manufacturer's) operating system. This allows extended intervalometer events, multiple frames, HDR, etc.
This might help. "Supercharge Your Camera with Open-Source CHDK Firmware: CANON CAMERAS ONLY !!!!! http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Supercharge_Your_Camera_with_Open-Source_CHDK_Firmware
More info here: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
mikeb

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2015, 12:41    Post subject:  

is this not spam?

and anyway canon gear is utter crap that breaks.... so there Very Happy

mike
Fossil

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2015, 15:25    Post subject:  

Quote:
Is this not spam?
I'd say not, as there's nothing to gain. CHDK has been around some time and is free, Open Source. If anything it has little to do with Puppy Linux - more a digital photography issue. Perhaps labbe5 would better post this in an amateur photography 'How-To' forum. As for Canon cameras: It's a matter of taste. The same may be said about any of the leading brands - just ask the owners! I'd still like one of the original 35 mm Canon 7 interchangeable lenses, 50mm, F0.95 rangefinder models from way back in the 1960's! Laughing
mikeb

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2015, 16:22    Post subject:  

Ah a real camera.

Seems like I am not alone with the stuck shutter failures which appear to be exclusively on canons over several years.
A printer from them failed quickly too...

Perhaps not all companies made the tradition from film to digital so successfully.

Its spam like but as you say seems a little pointless...

mike
starhawk

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2015, 17:07    Post subject:  

@Mike -- I've had nothing but good service from Canon printers. I love Canons.

HP on the other hand... Wink

As for cameras, I'm a Kodak EasyShare kinda guy. LOL.

Fossil

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2015, 08:55    Post subject:  

These weren't so easy to share (bad pun day!) but, they were real cameras! I've still got a couple of 1/4 plates with brass lenses, and lots of old glass negatives - mostly of views or families (all unknown) discovered in car boot sales and old bric-a-brac shops. Along with my original 'Box Brownie'! http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Underwood
mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2015, 09:22    Post subject:  

Had a pracktica semi automatic for years .... had a nice 35 - 200 zoom at one point... nice cameras and lenses AND affordable.
Did get into black and white developing to as the house had a loft that could be blacked out easily.

Nowadays its point and shoot digitals...little nikons seem to be the good bunnies. Actually got a old coolpix 4000 for 99p on ebay...great little thing and needed since the canon lens failed again a month after fitting a new flexible pcb...lol..it works as a decent movie camera for the kids. mad woman has a recent coolpix... light but seems to work reliably...they just push the resolution of the CCD to the point where the electronics don't keep up at least on the cheaper stuff... causes ringing plus less low light sensitivity...the 8 year old one is much nicer in that respect (4mp)...give a more natural image.
Thee boat inspired me to start taking pictures again....now to sort out the flaming ink situation with the printer Very Happy

fun and games

mike

ps I was glad the canon printer broke..the 4200 (or was that 6200?) series went to cartridges with 50% less ink..too expensive to run even with compatibles...amazon refunded with no arguments and got a nice network epson...ok not as sophisticated as the canon but has worked for several years like the last one...and yes we print quite a lot at times.
darry1966

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2015, 19:16    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
@Mike -- I've had nothing but good service from Canon printers. I love Canons.

HP on the other hand... Wink

As for cameras, I'm a Kodak EasyShare kinda guy. LOL.

Hi Starhawk. Best printer I had BJC4000. Hi Fossil yep loved my Brownie Box Camera simple like Puppy and great photos.

starhawk

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2015, 20:02    Post subject:  

My family's first non-dot-matrix printer was a Canon BJ-100 Very Happy looked a whole lot like your BJC-4000, darry... good stuff. You know, you can still buy the BC-02 cartridges that the BJ-100 took! (They are expensive tho... not quite HP expensive but close... us$25 for each cartridge last I looked...)

A pity mine's in pieces now (I'm an electronics hobbyist and that thing is spare parts...). Then again, after Mom finished lawschool that printer was kind of tired... Wink

Fossil

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan 2015, 08:23    Post subject:  

@ darry1966. Most of the older roll film cameras used 620 film stock. Sadly, it's now almost impossible to get. However, the width is identical to normal 120 roll film. Only the spool is a different diameter. So it is possible - if not easy - to rewind 120 sized film onto an old empty 620 sized spool. Of course, in complete darkness, and with everything ready to hand. Don't drop a spool in a darkened room - they roll everywhere and are impossible to find Crying or Very sad ! There is another method outlined here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Using-120-Film-in-620-Era-cameras/ It looks more steamroller-ish - and brutal.
Home processing black and white film is still easy; the chemical developer D76 or ID11 (the same formulation) can be either purchased or home-mixed. I still have all the old Paterson developing tanks from the 1970's. The processed film can always be contacted printed - or easily scanned.
A good Windows based (free) enhancement suite for both black and white and colour is Virtual Photographer and it's accompanying Virtual Studio. If interested just do a search. It's a pity this isn't truly Linux compatible as there's so many easily controlled effects; although I did have it running under Wine a few years back.
mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan 2015, 08:49    Post subject:  

Enlarger I had was huge but free Smile ..but allowed me to play with various effects and pick out the best views...... Always used Ilford paper and chemicals. Worked out quite cheap really and getting someone to develop black and white was not...anyway its about the fun factor Smile

Software..picture publisher which came free with a scanner... excellent....so easy to use and a huge pile of useful features. They were bought out by Coral in the end and the software was shelved (too good eh?)

Yes the canon 4100 was an excellent printer...thats why I went for one but missed the boat... ah well.
Sony USED to make great hardware too.... once upon a time.

I was surprised how crappy HP had become too... used to have such a good reputation.

Companies change...

Oh the famous huge stuck shutter blog...notice which cameras are mentioned. I had an a470 which was worse as it had a problem with a flexible pcb which snapped over time due to bad layout. Its not so much that it failed but that canon would not consider recalling their devices when bugs like that were found...not just my product. After sales support is important.
http://camerarepair.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/simple-fix-for-stuck-shutter.html

Fortunately it was Amazon who handled the printer...very good when it comes to failures (the print head semi died rather quickly)..they also sorted out the failed pioneer dvd drive...another 'brand' that turned to crap... not just me but many reviews of the same problems and previously they were the brand to buy if you did not want to go for a plextor...I now have a plextor.
Oddly enough 2 identical pioneers which were great failed at the same time after 2 years...one had had a lot of use the other hardly did anything. They failed to burn reliably but still read ok. Very odd.

Bear in mind in some cases this change in hardware reliability co incided with the introduction of lead free solder... its no surprise to me that some companies ran into troubles in the changeover.

anyway nice thread...cheers to the non spammer

mike
Fossil

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan 2015, 10:25    Post subject:  

Still have two multiformat enlargers up in the attic, plus Wray, Taylor-Taylor-Hobson, Ental and MPP lenses ! Good stuff - and their microscope lenses were even better - the resolution of pre-1900 hand-ground optics - amazing!
There is still something oh-so magical in watching an image develop and emerge in front of ones' eyes. Even the grandchildren find it "Awesome!"
Funny thing. I've just literally picked up a Canon EOS 850 camera from a charity shop for pennies. I wanted the lense. The shutter is stuck and completely bifurcated - forked! What a waste of a good 35 mm camera; solid and heavy, even the batteries still function; but the shutter is complete **** (fill in the blanks!). Wink
Page 1 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: