Reasonable multi-player Puppy game?

Play with your Puppy.
rufwoof

Reasonable multi-player Puppy game?

#1 Post by rufwoof »

OK so I run Puppy and other family members behind the same router run Windows, but as my Puppy has PXE server they can F12 on booting their PC and netboot puppy all without touching their hard disks (runs 100% in ram).

With up to four PC's all PXE net booted to the same puppy desktop it would be nice to have a play with a multi-player game on typically three of those PC's (i.e. me and my two sons),

For simplicity and as it seems to work really well, each Puppy is running with Mesa, despite the PC's having a variety of graphics cards i.e. boot and select VESA, but with the puppy already remastered to include mesa. Personally I find that boots practically anything, old and new and I'd rather each PC could boot directly to ram without having to access Windows hard disks.

Any suggestions therefore for a not too graphic intensive (so mesa ok), shoot-em-up multi-player Puppy based game?

One of my sons likes xbox, the other ps4, so having access to a common platform/game (Puppy) would make a change from them doing their own separate things.

TIA.

666philb

#2 Post by 666philb »

Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

shame about the opengl...that excludes some great options.
Ysflight comes to mind.

castlevox is one...not shoot it up but a risk like game using java that has network option.

I think njam is 2d ... pacman on the network.

mike

rufwoof

#4 Post by rufwoof »

Thanks for the pointers.
shame about the opengl
Doesn't having mesa provide the opengl stuff?

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

I'm not saying you can, but what about server based games with the PC as server??
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

rufwoof

#6 Post by rufwoof »

I think its a losing battle. Can't compete with their xbox/ps4 dedicated gaming systems so other than a cursory glance at a family based playoff .... and then back to their dedicated game systems to play with their mates online.

Generation thing. In my youth you had systems that had potential to do things that inspired you to spend hours/days trying to make things happen. Today's youth are the complete opposite, expecting everything to be already to hand, have a quick look - perhaps noting that it doesn't do this or that .. and moving on to the next latest does-it-all.

Burn_IT

#7 Post by Burn_IT »

I've noticed that.
If it takes more than two minutes or requires a brain, forget it.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Doesn't having mesa provide the opengl stuff?
without the hardware driver eg nvidia... you only get software rendering which is unusably slow or may refuse altogether.

There are always emulators... but if you have the original hardware around then there is little point...

I played 9dragons for a while.... one example of online multiplayer... was quite enjoyable...it and a host of others again need yer 3d hardware working.

Mike