Revert rox-filer to auto prompt if copy is overwrite

Core libraries and systems
gyro

Revert rox-filer to auto prompt if copy is overwrite

#1 Post by gyro »

The latest 'rox-filer' no longer supports the automatic displaying of a confirmation dialog if a copy operation involves overwriting the target.
This pet contains a version of 'rox-filer' that does.

It's the current version of 'rox-filer' compiled on tahrpup 6.0.1, with the following 2 patches applied:

Code: Select all

--- action.orig.c	2014-11-29 22:28:51.000000000 +1000
+++ action.c	2015-01-15 00:46:41.220558669 +1000
@@ -1338,7 +1338,7 @@
 		{
 			printf_send("<%s", path);
 			printf_send(">%s", dest_path);
-			if (!printf_reply(from_parent, merge,
+			if (!printf_reply(from_parent, TRUE,
 					  _("?'%s' already exists - %s?"),
 					  dest_path,
 					  merge ? _("merge contents")
and

Code: Select all

--- main.orig.c	2014-11-29 22:28:51.000000000 +1000
+++ main.c	2015-01-15 01:42:25.239573589 +1000
@@ -526,7 +526,7 @@

tooltips = gtk_tooltips_new();

-	if (euid == 0 || show_user)
+	if (show_user)
 		show_user_message = g_strdup_printf(_("Running as user '%s'"), 
 						    user_name(euid));

Unfortunately this also means that the "Quiet" button in the copy confirmation dialog, reverts to not working.

So if your puppy includes the latest 'rox-filer', as tahrpup 6.0.1 does, then you can do nothing and have a working "Quiet" button and no automatic prompt on overwrite. Or apply this pet and have automatic prompt on overwrite, but a non working "Quiet" button.

The pet is 257K, too big to attach, so download it from here http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/rox ... rt-1.0.pet.

gyro
Last edited by gyro on Sun 22 May 2016, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.

MochiMoppel

Re: Revert rox-filer to auto prompt if copy is overwrite

#2 Post by MochiMoppel »

gyro wrote:The latest 'rox-filer' no longer supports the automatic displaying of a confirmation dialog if a copy operation involves overwriting the target.
???
The latest ROX-Filer seems to work as intended. In the Options menu unselect Action windows > Autostart [ ] copy.
This will trigger the confirmation dialog with a working (!) Quiet button. The bad news: This will trigger the dialog even when no overwriting is involved. ROX has no dedicated "confirm overwrites" dialog, it's rather "confirm all copy operations" or "never ask".

gyro

#3 Post by gyro »

@MochiMoppel,
This reverts 'rox-filer' to the way it used to be:
Confirm copy dialog only appears if the copy results in an overwrite, but 'Quiet' button doesn't work.

If you prefer the new way, do nothing.
If you prefer the old way, apply this pet.

gyro

MochiMoppel

#4 Post by MochiMoppel »

removed

(I had the impression that the copy behaviour was the only difference between the ROX-Filers in 6.0 in 6.0.1 service-pack, which wouldn't need an extra pet to fix, but there are probably other exciting new features in the newest version...)

gyro

#5 Post by gyro »

MochiMoppel wrote:(I had the impression that the copy behaviour was the only difference between the ROX-Filers in 6.0 in 6.0.1 service-pack, which wouldn't need an extra pet to fix, but there are probably other exciting new features in the newest version...)
This pet is all about the copy behaviour, I've no idea if there are any other exciting new features.
I created the pet because I assume that a new tahrpup iso will not contain a 'ROX-Filer' that supports the old copy behaviour. So the only way to revert will be by introducing a patched version of 'ROX-Filer'.

gyro

MochiMoppel

#6 Post by MochiMoppel »

gyro wrote:I created the pet because I assume that a new tahrpup iso will not contain a 'ROX-Filer' that supports the old copy behaviour.
Which makes it a preemptive patch to reintroduce an officially acknowledged and finally fixed bug :lol:

Seriously: Do you think many people will miss the old buggy behaviour? Though I like some bugs which I would miss if anyone dares to fix them, this wasn't one of them.

SFR

#7 Post by SFR »

MochiMoppel wrote:Do you think many people will miss the old buggy behaviour?
me@[url]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=792147#792147[/url] wrote:Anyway, I'm curious what others think about it?
On the other thread 666philb and Stemsee were rather enthusiastic, so let's say we have 3-1 for "overwrite" at the moment.
So now, with Gyro, we have 3-2. :wink:
gyro wrote: I've no idea if there are any other exciting new features
Most of all: "Fixed xdgmime support for zero-length files" - before this fix entering /proc dir with thumbnails turned on used to cause total hang of ROX.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

gyro

#8 Post by gyro »

MochiMoppel wrote:Seriously: Do you think many people will miss the old buggy behaviour?
If there is anyone who does, then this pet gives them an option to get it back.
gyro

gyro

#9 Post by gyro »

I did this for my own installation of Tahrpup 6, and I may even to do it again if needed. If this becomes a long term pain, I'll be investigating alternate file managers.

I share the pet here just in case there is anyone else who thinks the old buggy way is preferable to the new way.

Note: According to the "ROX-Filer" git, the new way is a bug fix.
My first patch is a direct reversal of the official patch.

gyro
Last edited by gyro on Wed 21 Jan 2015, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

gyro

#10 Post by gyro »

@SFR
I was not aware that you had produced a most likely superior pet in this other topic. I just wanted my familiar 'ROX-Filer' back, in Tahrpup 6.0.1.
gyro

gyro

Dead-end

#11 Post by gyro »

I now consider this project to be a dead-end, since the unacceptable behaviour of Rox-Filer is considered to be a feature, not a bug.

I've moved on to http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97469

gyro

miriam

#12 Post by miriam »

Thanks gyro, I just installed tahrpup and was copying some of my old files onto the new installation and noticed with great alarm that it blithely went ahead, silently overwriting existing files. When I went into the Rox options I unticked autostart (quiet) copy, but then, as you say it became a major pain to copy any great number of files because it now asked for every single file.

I do like the new behavior of correctly recognising zero-length files though. I previously was able to have my cake and eat it too, as someone posted a patch to allow old Rox to recognise them. I'll see if I can find it and post the link here.
[color=blue]A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?[/color]

MochiMoppel

#13 Post by MochiMoppel »

Removed
(SFR's previous post answered my question re. zero-length file bug)

Last edited by MochiMoppel on Thu 04 Feb 2016, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#14 Post by greengeek »

SFR wrote:So now, with Gyro, we have 3-2.
It is possible that I am misunderstanding this 'bug' - but I never want any "quiet" overwriting. I prefer to be prompted to overwrite each file. If there is to be any extensive overwriting I will first remove the previous versions (assuming I have some idea of what I am attempting to do, which is not always the case :) )

Keisha

Thanking gyro for reverting copy overwrite in ROX-Filer

#15 Post by Keisha »

Hey gyro, just like to say thanks for the patches, I appreciate being prompted before a copy overwrite. If I want to just go ahead and mass-overwrite existing files, I'll use Thunar or Krusader!
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee