How do i set run action for given file extention?

Booting, installing, newbie
flamesage

How do i set run action for given file extention?

#1 Post by flamesage »

Example: I want .wmv clips, whenever i click on them to open up in gxine instead of the notepad program.

How would I go about doing this?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I'm pretty sure one way is to open ROX-Filer, find a wmv file, right click on it, and choose "Set Run Action." I haven't actually done this next step, but it looks like you then can drag an application such as Gxine into the box labeled 'Drop a suitable application here.'

More info than you would ever want to know about ROX can be found in Puppy's very comprehensive Start->Help menu, under "Applications documentation."

I seem to remember a post describing how to do what you want to do, or maybe it's in the Wiki. If you find it, please let me know where it is so I can put it in the Beginners forum index.

flamesage

#3 Post by flamesage »

Crap, I told it gxine $1, now it loads up gxine but failes to load because of an unknown error, now it does it to ALL of my .txt documents ><;
Help please!

Rich

#4 Post by Rich »

first off, lets put the text documents back.

Select a Text doc and right click in the rox window.
Go to Set Run action in the drop down menu and type leafpad "$1" in the Shell command line. DO NOT CLICK OK YET !
At the top of this window there are 2 radio buttons. Choose the bottom one - only for the type XXXX. This will change the run actions for any file of the same type, rather than all files.
click on OK and you're back to normal.

Do the same with the filetypes you want to open with gxine. except using the command gxine "$1" instead of the leafpad. Make sure that the second radio button option is selected though, otherwise it will associate everything with gxine.

flamesage

#5 Post by flamesage »

I follow the steps... and it still directs me to gxine, for anything that was origionally with leafpad! Even though..
Attachments
b.png
(73.6 KiB) Downloaded 1059 times
a.png
(65.52 KiB) Downloaded 1065 times

#6 Post by Guest »

What you are doing is setting the action for the "mime type" text.......

The info for mime type wmv is not listed.......so it appears to default to mime-type text.

What needs to be done is a new entry for wmv to be created....Now I'm not too sure exactly how that is done

maybe

Code: Select all

video/x-msvideo:
	ext: avi wmv
in the file /usr/local/share/Choices/MIME-info/Standard

The help button should direct you to the help pages for ROX

flamesage

#7 Post by flamesage »

I did that, and still nothing.

Rich

#8 Post by Rich »

Just tried this the old fashioned way and they don't work on my computer :(

If I open Gxine and manually select the file to play , although the timer bar moves across the bottom, there's no sound or pictures.

( I'm running Gxine 0.3.3 ) .

Do your files play if you manually select them??
( if not then there's not much point worrying about associations )

If they do work - send one of them to me ( just a small one - Dialup ) and I'll try to figure it all out for you.

Rich

#9 Post by Guest »

ROX Prolly needs to reread the files to be aware of the new type....or google for ROX on the web goto the site and see what they have to say

Bruce B

#10 Post by Bruce B »

I have the same problem as flamesage. I'll be working on a work around. But for now - I don't have the solution.

#11 Post by Guest »

Ok my theory did work, gxine opened but appears to lack the right codecs to play wmv files.........It played the file but no purty pics came up in the viewing area.......

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#12 Post by GuestToo »

i seem to have codecs installed that play wmv's ... i find the sound doesn't sync to the video as well as avi's or mpg's

pic of a wmv movie playing: http://tinypic.com/6onyvq.jpg

from Erin Gray's website: http://www.eringray.com/

flamesage

#13 Post by flamesage »

Hmm thats weird, I added in that vide thing and when I just now rebooted, it started working.
o well =P

video/x-msvideo:
ext: avi wmv

Kal

#14 Post by Kal »

Thanks for info, this fixes my bad work around of changing .mwv to .mpg and I have mplayer which uses the win32 codecs
Thanks to all, Kal a end user.