Installing KDE programs in Megapup

Booting, installing, newbie
eponyn

Installing KDE programs in Megapup

#1 Post by eponyn »

This may sound silly, but how do you install new KDE programs when running Megapup003?
I switched to puppy not long ago after trying several linux distro's and so far this is the best of all worlds. PClinuxos had been my favorite so far, but it had trouble recognizing my USB HD, Ipod and flash drives plus other random glitches. Right now I am running puppy 2.01 with megapup003 and enlightment and I am close to heaven. The only two issues I have is with resolution (is an ATI card so I am reading other posts here to see how to work on it), and missing some games and programs which I can't find for puppy yet.
I used synaptic to install new progrmas and updates in PClinux os, but I can't find it in the puppy version of KDE. By including KDE, does that mean that I can install .rpm packages, or is that more related to the OS? I don't mind if I need to add any big packages for this to work, since I have plenty of space left and 1GB of ram, I just don't know where to start. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Austin_Pup

#2 Post by Austin_Pup »

I'm still new to puppy and relatively new to Linux so take what I tell you at your own risk....

The puppy package manager (PPM) is the puppy version of synaptic. The KDE programs you want may not be setup to use with PPM (yet?) so maybe you can't find what you want. My version of puppy has the PPM in the setup menu off the puppy equivalnet of the "start" button.

I don't know if you can install synaptic under KDE and then use it, interesting question. I wouldn't think that there is a fundament reason it wouldn't work, though I've notice that there seem to be some directory and file structure issues depending on which Linux Distro / Window Manager / X server combination is being used.

I'm not familiar with mean puppy, do you have a link to it?

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

eponym,

unfortunately i can't offer you any easy answer. puppy at present is based on slackware, so any slack packages should port easily. i haven't tried mu's megapup3, but i did use his megapup1 & you can add other packages to it. i unpacked mega1 7 added some kde games & it worked fine. it's a bit involved however!

somebody did post a detailed howto about mounting sfs filesystems, then copying them to another directory, making your changes, then saving back as an sfs with mkisofs. have a bit of a search of the howto section, (from memory i think it was in last 6 months).

alternatively, if you've got the compiler environment, you can try & compile from source.

another alternative is to just try using an rpm binary, of whatever package that you're after. i've had good success doing this. i just unpack the package anywhere, work out what the essentials are for it to run then symlink these files/directories to the appropriate locations in /usr, then try & run the binary. if it doesn't work doing
ldd binary-name will give you an idea of what library dependencies are missing. if not too many you can download these & get the thing going, if too many, forget about it!

reason i do above way is so that if it doesn't work i can just delete the directory & i'm just left with stray symlinks in /usr, which are easy to get rid of.

hope you're encouraged to experiment with puppy & different packages.

bye

MU

#4 Post by MU »

Megapup003 was made from Slackware-linux packages, so the easiest might be to use programs from http://www.linuxpackages.net/
They can be onverted to dotpups quite easy.
extract the .tar.gz, then look at doinst.sh.
This script usually just creates some missing symlinks.
Create them manually, then delete the install-folder and make a dotpup or copy the files manually to Puppy.

I also compiled some KDE-programs with success in Puppy.

Mark

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

another bloody dialup duplicate!!!