PupTahr 6.0 USB install: JWM won't start. (WORKED AROUND)

Booting, installing, newbie
BJF

PupTahr 6.0 USB install: JWM won't start. (WORKED AROUND)

#1 Post by BJF »

My son's school laptop, a Dell Latitude D800 with nvidia graphics, was mouse-clicked Off, but Reboot accidentally chosen instead. Under pressure, he did a Hard Shut-down, and now Xorgwizard won't satisfy the window manager and go to a desktop. I have created a new save file and he has a factory desktop but of course all the stuff he needs is in the old save file. I believe that copying the relevant files from the new .conf files to the old save file will satisfy the manager, but which ones? I am getting heavy eyelids and going nowhere.
Please can some Wise One point me in the correct direction. He goes to school again in 10 hours!

Thank you.

BJF

#2 Post by BJF »

I sort of solved the problem because I had to, but in a fairly labour-intensive way.
Using the live CD I copied his Savefile out, then did a re-install to clean up the USB and get a working Desktop, and create a new Savefile. Then I set about customising the Desktop and re-establishing his .sfs files to get the functions back that were lost, and shifted all his data from the old Savefile/root/ folder to the new Save. It all appears to be working as it should now. Until the next hard shut-down...

Thanks guys.

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

1. After an "improper power-off"...
At the next startup...
The Puppy [which one is being used?] aught to auto-scan-and-fix the "Partition File System" [PFS].
Journaling file systems [NTFS, ext3, ext4] are recovered/fixed more elegantly/cleanly than non-journaling filesystems [FAT32, ext2].
If the Puppy isn't auto-scanning, to do it manually, then...

2. At the 5-sec pause during startup [when there is a Puppy command prompt at bottom right of screen]...
Enter the command:
puppy pfix=fsck
This will scan and fix the filesystems of the host partition, and also the Linux filesystem inside the pupsave file.

3. I have Puppies that DO NOT AUTO-SAVE SESSION CHANGES.
[You can MANUALLY save during the session, and also CHOOSE to save during shut-down/reboot]
Some of the newer Puppies have this feature natively included.
e.g. With Puli-6.0: you can remove the Flash Drive once booted to the desktop.
Hence, an improper-poweroff does no harm.
Same with a [Puppy booted using a] multi-session DVD-RW.